Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2019, 06:21 PM   #1
coolstorybro
Pledge

Default Arising tour

For those of you who attended any of these shows - describe your experience.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:30 PM   #2
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Angry

No

Old 01-11-2019, 06:32 PM   #3
coolstorybro
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
No
Spit it out

Old 01-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #4
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Show of a lifetime

Billy was on point, singing & playing like the Crogan we knew & loved. Jimmy was on some superhuman level of drumming. James & D'arcy looked cool, sounded great, and nailed everything BC/JC threw at them

Fuck You was the highlight, played with an intensity unlike anything I've ever seen before. the combination of deep cuts & well-known songs was perfect, not too much on either side of the fence. this is the band we knew, the band we loved, and the band we wished for so long would maybe someday return

but alas, it seems it may have just been the last of it. and my god, i must say, what a way to go out

I wasn't at any of these shows

Last edited by Mals Marola : 01-11-2019 at 08:02 PM.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #5
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
Melissa
harhar

Old 01-11-2019, 08:02 PM   #6
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

honest mistake

Old 01-11-2019, 08:03 PM   #7
cork_soaker
full of longing

classic marola

Old 01-11-2019, 08:03 PM   #8
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

That was a decent troll. Had me going.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:09 PM   #9
cork_soaker
full of longing

midnite cowboy
https://i.imgur.com/kKfJNMK.jpg

Old 01-11-2019, 08:10 PM   #10
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

ITT: The Decline and Fall of Mals Marola

Old 01-11-2019, 08:10 PM   #11
FoolofaTook

Old 01-11-2019, 08:12 PM   #12
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

bullshit, it'll take more than a simple mixup of pumpkin bassists to dethrone me

Old 01-11-2019, 08:14 PM   #13
cork_soaker
full of longing

"When the topic turns to the bassist, Marola becomes uneasy."

Old 01-11-2019, 08:15 PM   #14
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

FUCK!!!!!!

Old 01-11-2019, 08:15 PM   #15
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

my only goal was to bust the balls of coolstorybro... if i have succeeded even halfway in that, at least, i can leave this thread w/ the dignity of myself & my family intact

Old 01-11-2019, 09:35 PM   #16
FoolofaTook

mals tries to bust coolstorybro's balls... only to have his own balls busted by corker!

Old 01-11-2019, 10:08 PM   #17
coolstorybro
Pledge

Anal is no fun

Old 01-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #18
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

i like to think i busted at least one ball aside from my own in the course of this whole process - even if it was poor unsuspecting johnny's

Old 01-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #19
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

(of the cg variety)

Old 01-12-2019, 10:37 PM   #20
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

I was lucky enough to get into the Los Angeles show at the Roxy - the last night of the tour. 4.24.99.

It was RIGHT when Ticketmaster started selling tickets online, but also in the days of very primitive internet. Don't think we still had dial up AOL, but we may have. It was slow. But, that was the route I chose to take to try and get tickets. I remember it freezing up (some things never change?) and after a few minutes of failing, assuming that it was over and cranking the F5 key out of desperation/teenage angst. Well, somehow, it worked. It moved, I had two tickets in my cart.

Show was on a Saturday night. Took my best buddy from high school - I was a junior at the time - which I'm so glad I did and not the random chick I was pursuing. Didn't have a driver's license yet, so my parents radically were willing to take us. They dropped us off and then later swung back by to drop off a bag of McDonalds. I remember being embarrassed at the time, but man - in hindsight, huge props to my parents for entertaining such nonsense. Driving to downtown LA on a Saturday night, and hanging out for 4 hours while we went to the show? That's the kind of parent I'm gonna be to my kids someday.

While we were in line, some guy offered me $1000 for my ticket. I proudly turned it down - my friend waffled, but ended up not taking it. There was a majorrrr energy in the air, as this was still the height of SP: and now, Jimmy was back - buzz was anew.

Queens of the Stone Age opened - fully unknown to me (and most?) at the time. They played stuff off of their debut album, which is a super accessible and straight forward rock album: worth lookin' up. We were about 4 rows back, and one of the guitarists filled his mouth with something and blew a fireball off his cigarette lighter, which was pretty rad.

The SP set is tough to put into words - but due to the exclusivity of being there, the band being back together, lots of new songs, the small room, me being at the height of SP fandom - the show will always be tops for me.

I've seen some great concerts since, but that one will always be at the top of the heap. First four songs were of course utterly unreal. Loved the Machina stuff. Loved how freaking loud it was, and how "my" band was RIGHT there, slaying it. Just felt like the four of them were back together and that SP was going to take over the whole damn world with their next album, and I was right there at the forefront of it all.

Pretty sure there's another Netphorian around here who was also there that night?

Old 01-12-2019, 10:40 PM   #21
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

I mean, holy shit: https://archive.org/details/tsp1999-...04.24D1t08.shn

Old 01-12-2019, 11:01 PM   #22
FoolofaTook

can't believe you ate mcdonals and your parents supported that

ugh

Old 01-13-2019, 09:58 AM   #23
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

that's your takeaway from that post

fucking incredible

Old 01-13-2019, 12:51 PM   #24
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Wow, and set isn't even tainted by HMM. However, putting With Every Light and If there is a god at the end is brutal. Those songs are pretty bad.
Also, what is with the Imploding voice vocals. God awful - should have let D'Arcy do that part.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:35 PM   #25
Cool As Ice Cream

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
that's your takeaway from that post

fucking incredible
lololo

Old 01-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #26
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

they were standing in line on the side of the road, what were they supposed to eat, a filet mignon with sauteed veggies?

Old 01-13-2019, 02:29 PM   #27
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

If it’s LA you could buy the bacon-wrapped hotdog (w fried onions)

Old 01-13-2019, 03:06 PM   #28
FoolofaTook

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
they were standing in line on the side of the road, what were they supposed to eat, a filet mignon with sauteed veggies?
FUCK YES

Old 01-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #29
Shallowed
Braindead

Get it, takeaway?

Old 01-13-2019, 04:12 PM   #30
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
I was lucky enough to get into the Los Angeles show at the Roxy - the last night of the tour. 4.24.99.

It was RIGHT when Ticketmaster started selling tickets online, but also in the days of very primitive internet. Don't think we still had dial up AOL, but we may have. It was slow. But, that was the route I chose to take to try and get tickets. I remember it freezing up (some things never change?) and after a few minutes of failing, assuming that it was over and cranking the F5 key out of desperation/teenage angst. Well, somehow, it worked. It moved, I had two tickets in my cart.

Show was on a Saturday night. Took my best buddy from high school - I was a junior at the time - which I'm so glad I did and not the random chick I was pursuing. Didn't have a driver's license yet, so my parents radically were willing to take us. They dropped us off and then later swung back by to drop off a bag of McDonalds. I remember being embarrassed at the time, but man - in hindsight, huge props to my parents for entertaining such nonsense. Driving to downtown LA on a Saturday night, and hanging out for 4 hours while we went to the show? That's the kind of parent I'm gonna be to my kids someday.

While we were in line, some guy offered me $1000 for my ticket. I proudly turned it down - my friend waffled, but ended up not taking it. There was a majorrrr energy in the air, as this was still the height of SP: and now, Jimmy was back - buzz was anew.

Queens of the Stone Age opened - fully unknown to me (and most?) at the time. They played stuff off of their debut album, which is a super accessible and straight forward rock album: worth lookin' up. We were about 4 rows back, and one of the guitarists filled his mouth with something and blew a fireball off his cigarette lighter, which was pretty rad.

The SP set is tough to put into words - but due to the exclusivity of being there, the band being back together, lots of new songs, the small room, me being at the height of SP fandom - the show will always be tops for me.

I've seen some great concerts since, but that one will always be at the top of the heap. First four songs were of course utterly unreal. Loved the Machina stuff. Loved how freaking loud it was, and how "my" band was RIGHT there, slaying it. Just felt like the four of them were back together and that SP was going to take over the whole damn world with their next album, and I was right there at the forefront of it all.

Pretty sure there's another Netphorian around here who was also there that night?
Queens of the Stone Age are a band worth looking up. This is vital information in 2019.