Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
Bread Regal
Banned

Default Any of y'all watch Cosmos last night?

I'm torrenting it now.

Loved the original. I remember watching it as a 19 year old and being awestruck at not only the information, but also the presentation. Carl was downright poetic at times.

Because the original is so great I'm ready to be disappointed. I like Neil deGrasse Tyson well enough, but he's no Carl, and I guess he the best we've got. It's also weird to see it on FOX instead of PBS but I guess it makes sense. Seth MacFarlane is also directing it, but as long as he doesn't actually write a single joke or do any voices, I can probably stand it.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

caught the last 20 minutes last night and Liked it. Tyson is a good host. I believe that Ann Druyan was involved with this one too, which probably will make it a good series.

Neil deGrasse Tyson also has a podcast called "Startalk Radio" that's entertaining.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #3
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

no. and i'm surprised didn't know about or mention it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 03-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
Tuscaloosa
Demi-God

watched, was fairly disappointed. i was really looking forward to this; hope it gets better.

-the whole first "act" or whatever you might call it, with neil flying through the solar system got old quickly. cue regal orchestral music again and again. get to some content, please
-this was followed up by an act and a half of the animated story of Bruno. gah. was fairly silly.
-time calendar, dinosaurs, et al blah, seen it/heard it before
-closing segment, sentimental, "i met carl" totally unnecessary

i was eager for something much more in depth. perhaps that will happen as the series moves beyond the introductory phase.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #5
Bread Regal
Banned

ah yeah the overblown orchestral swells in those excessively dumbed down nat geo specials. loved the understated synth soundtrack of the original. so chill.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
Tuscaloosa
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
ah yeah the overblown orchestral swells in those excessively dumbed down nat geo specials. loved the understated synth soundtrack of the original. so chill.
absolutely. this morning i watched some of the original and was loving the soundz

Old 03-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #7
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

This is Raaaaaaaandy and I'm here to do my impression of getting my DICK sucked in an OBSERVATORY:

My god it's full of ---- WOAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Old 03-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #8
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

I tried watching something narrated by Neil a couple months back, I coldnt make it through, he may have been trying too hard to be funny or folksy, I just couldnt stand it.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #9
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

he tries too hard to be both

Old 03-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #10
TuralyonW3
Immortal

I watched a little that I had time for and it seemed cool, DeGrasse is no Sagan though. He also irks me because of his physics-hate on the film Gravity (it's a fucking emotional movie not a physics demonstration to be picked apart). I'd watch more for sure though.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #11
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

He liked Gravity.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

He thought it was an awesome movie

Old 03-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #13
Banana
Banned

What channel/time is it on?

Old 03-10-2014, 10:12 PM   #14
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
I'm torrenting it now.

Loved the original. I remember watching it as a 19 year old and being awestruck at not only the information, but also the presentation. Carl was downright poetic at times.

Because the original is so great I'm ready to be disappointed. I like Neil deGrasse Tyson well enough, but he's no Carl, and I guess he the best we've got. It's also weird to see it on FOX instead of PBS but I guess it makes sense. Seth MacFarlane is also directing it, but as long as he doesn't actually write a single joke or do any voices, I can probably stand it.
don't worry about seth. he isn't directing it. he's just an exec. producer. he's just throwing his money around. some bitch named "Brannon Braga" who directed a star trek: enterprise episode is directing it.

as for the content of the show, it's aight.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #15
Mayfuck
Banned

it was p. bland all around. very sterile compared to the original. and for someone so rigid about the scientific method, ndt sure takes liberties with history. kinda laughed at the disneyfied story of giancarlo bruno and having the pope look like the evil sorcerer jafar.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:36 PM   #16
Order 66
Socialphobic

its inaccurate but the kids love it

Old 03-10-2014, 10:39 PM   #17
noyen
Immortal

i just want more david attenborough stuff. that's all i care about. americans suck at narrating anything.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:43 PM   #18
Mayfuck
Banned

david attenorough kinda annoys me too with his british faux-naivety.

the new cosmos should have just been sans dialogue with a bunch of random images of evolution and the universe set to musique concrete. too bad seth macfarlane never saw Koyaanisqatsi

Old 03-10-2014, 10:48 PM   #19
noyen
Immortal

yeah, they should've called it "**Black Scientist looks at pictures and talks about stuff so Seth MacFarlane doesn't feel guilty about going to hell for whatever the fuck atrocity he's done. *with music. ** astrophysicist, author, science communicator and loving mother-man of twin whales."

i like attenborough voice. but if they really wanted to cash in they should've had morgan freeman narrate.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:39 PM   #20
SuckSuckStyle
Socialphobic

Location: you look like you like to hang out. you look like you like to hang out and drink soda

it was alright. had its good parts. needs more universe footage/animation. i get boners for supernovas. give me more of that.