Braindead

Richard Hell > Tom Verlaine

Old 05-14-2014, 01:41 AM   #62
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
you didn't quit shit.
Yeah, so maybe a few of you round here remember that I work in anti-tobacco. Lately, e-cigarettes are all of the rage, and all of the discussion, and all of the news inquiries: the things are outta control. I obviously don't smoke, but because I have worked with so many folks who have actually quit, I get frustrated on the behalf of REAL QUITTERS too. Quitting a nicotine addiction is one of the roughest - if not the roughest addiction to kick, and those who have actually quit shouldn't be put on the same plane as somebody who just switched. You're not a quitter: you're a switcher.

That said, for those folks - like say for example, Noyen - a dude who I like, and a fellow Utah resident - who have switched, I think they're making a positive step. And I further applaud people like him, who are using it with a level headed goal: to eventually step off nicotine entirely, and then move away from the product entirely. Huge kudos for not being a dipshit about these things like so many people are currently, just treating them like toys.

Granted, heaven only knows what the the long term effects of deep lung tissue inhalation of propylene glycol (see: Mooney's comment of whipping on it non-stop, which I get) are: early studies are showing that it accelerates symptoms that very much mimic that of early asthma, so who knows where these folks will end up in 5, 10, or 15 years. Even though 'PG' is in other stuff, lung tissue is quite unique: ain't nothin' else like it in the body.

As a public health guy - and as the one who has to sit on the TV when questions roll around on the subject, I'm here to tell ya: it's a shitty place to be right now. Because the peer reviewed actual science isn't there yet, we really don't have a ton to say to people when they ask. But do they simply, logically HAVE to be better for you than cigarettes? Of course. Which is exactly why (even though I'm not allowed to say it on TV) I am all for friends making the switch, if they're doing it with an end goal of quitting.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:47 AM   #63
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
the thing is, i don't buy that they're more accessible or marketed towards kids.
In Utah, the stats really are nuts. Like, wild, wild shit. A few graphs n' charts pictured below: makes me nervous to see what our survey results in ANOTHER two years will show.

I agree with you in that I don't think the flavors are marketed exclusively towards kids (if I was to get into that scene, I would fully be smoking all of the Mt. Dew/Skittles/whatever flavored stuff too) - but while not marketed towards kids, they do further this idea that they're just fun toys to dink around with. And if a kid starts on an e-cigarette, it's wholly possible that eventually they'll swap to cigarettes once they're not getting enough throat hit outta their e-cigarette, yeah?

Local smoke shops are selling these things left and right to kids. Not even cool.

http://i62.tinypic.com/k04hoy.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/qxrtd3.jpg

Old 05-14-2014, 01:55 AM   #64
Order 66
Socialphobic

well it's kind of a non issue at this point now the FDA has banned selling them to minors, isn't it. not that that will magically swoop ecigs from the hands of kids but they're going to get their hands on what they want at some point whether it be real cigs, pot, or whatever

i've always seen it as an adult-oriented hobby, more or less, like beer brewing or something.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:04 AM   #65
noyen
Immortal

shadang! we should have a convo in real life. will you be coming to see mogwai? wutang?

I've also quit a few times too. usually lasted a few months and sometimes a few years. I've also had other issues I've beat like meth and heroin. it is really hard to quit things.

cool story or. it but I'll share it with you Rask. so, I was driving with my windows down and was at a stop light for a few minutes and I struck up a cool conversation with a gentleman in the car next to me. he saw me puffing away on my vaporizor. he was a tough looking dude, much older than me and probably a 40plus year smoker. anyway. he asks sceprical if those things work. I looked at him in all seriousness and said "man they saved my life. I wouldn't be talking to you know most likely if I didn't have these. and he said how often I use it. and I say alllll day. and he seemed to take what I was saying as some sort of relief and said that he would give them a shot but had always looked at it has a toy or fad. and I was like hey man the have kept me from going out in the cold, from coughing up blood, from the actual hell of smoking. I thought it was a cool interaction because I hope he gives it a shot. just to switch. and that I assured him that the nicotine buzz you want is there. and all the bad stuff like waking up coughing your lungs out and stinky clothes and wrinkled skin and grossness of tobacco addiction hell can be eased through with the ecig they did for me at least. I got lung cancer. I had to change. anyway I am drunk and rambling.

anyway I think its cool having this discussion and the views on them and how so far it looks like its on the stupid gay list for most here but seriously life changed for me in regards to having some release and feeding of my addiction without all the horribleness that I did not enjoy about smoking. it makes me do it all even less because I can do it anywhere in bed in a crowded house party or a back yard BBQ without offending everyone and stinking up the place.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:07 PM   #66
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Huge kudos for not being a dipshit about these things like so many people are currently, just treating them like toys
i've noticed this is a phenomenon that i think grows on reddit. i saw a thread on e cigarettes being bullshit on reddit and it was overwhelmingly positive and many posters referenced the incredible resource of the e cigarette hobby on reddit i was like

i've heard people tell me they are entirely safe with some conviction and I'll tell them "medical professionals have not done studies and it's basically accepted that it's up in the air...much like cigarettes," but they get this attitude like I'm just not getting how super cool their hobby is

Old 05-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #67
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

plus they are dorky they don't have the bad ass cool of cigarettes