Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2018, 10:25 PM   #1
fuzzyroes
Banned

Default Is Teargarden the biggest broken promise from Bill?

Guy rants and raves excitedly about how he's gonna release 44 songs and all for free! It's gonna revolutionize the music industry! This is gonna be groundbreaking! The fans are THRILLED to get so much new music! The online communities are buzzing!

10 songs in over what felt like an eternity and he gives up without even the slightest explanation.....

He surprisingly took very little crap for that. But I mean, he wasn't even close to finishing half of it. I think that definitely had to have been his most incredulous broken promise.

Whatta you think?

Old 06-05-2018, 10:34 PM   #2
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

the biggest promise Bill ever broke:

"I will never, never, never, never fucking sell out."

Old 06-05-2018, 10:34 PM   #3
swagmunch
Amish Rake Fighter

Well, Oceania and MTAE were part of Teargarden btw. Also Day for Night would have been part of it. So with all those accounted for, it probably would have been close to 44 songs in total.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:09 PM   #4
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagmunch View Post
Well, Oceania and MTAE were part of Teargarden btw.
No they weren't.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:14 PM   #5
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Well, Oceania and MTAE were part of Teargarden btw. Also Day for Night would have been part of it. So with all those accounted for, it probably would have been close to 44 songs in total.
That’s revisionist bullshit and you know it.

The only reason no one gave Bill shit about not following through is that the TG songs we did get sounded like Astral Planes and Widow Wake My Mind so everyone was cool leaving well enough alone

Old 06-05-2018, 11:29 PM   #6
redbreegull

He said Oceania was part of TGBK before the album came out, he made a big deal about it. I don't ever recall him saying anything about MTAE being part of teargarden. In fact, I thought the MTAE/DFAN combo was supposed to show everyone he was abandoning the old project and starting something new

Old 06-05-2018, 11:29 PM   #7
Elphenor
Braindead

those were good times waiting 3 months for Astral Planes

Old 06-05-2018, 11:30 PM   #8
redbreegull

this is a song for a song

Old 06-05-2018, 11:32 PM   #9
Elphenor
Braindead

Lightning Strikes still rawks in all its diabetes inducing cheap synth goodness

Old 06-05-2018, 11:35 PM   #10
Elphenor
Braindead

tbk is more memorable than Oceania

and less ear fucking than ZG

Old 06-05-2018, 11:44 PM   #11
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
tbk is more memorable than Oceania

and less ear fucking than ZG
I mean it's hands down the worst project he has ever done, and there's no contest. Nothing is even close to as bad as the ~2009 teargarden songs

Old 06-05-2018, 11:49 PM   #12
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Well, Oceania and MTAE were part of Teargarden btw.
I'll never understand this rationale. How did they have anything to do with Teargarden? They were traditional releases with nothing in common released by major labels.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:49 PM   #13
Elphenor
Braindead

I suspect pomp & circumstance is the worst song but I can't know for sure because I've never made it all the way through it

Old 06-05-2018, 11:53 PM   #14
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
He said Oceania was part of TGBK before the album came out, he made a big deal about it.
Is this actually true? I don't remember that. But I wasn't all that interested in the band at that time. How did he make the connection or correlation with Oceania to Teargarden?

IIRC didn't he just facetiously say it was part of Teargarden when Monte or some fan asked him about abandoning the project?

Old 06-06-2018, 12:00 AM   #15
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Is this actually true? I don't remember that. But I wasn't all that interested in the band at that time. How did he make the connection or correlation with Oceania to Teargarden?

IIRC didn't he just facetiously say it was part of Teargarden when Monte or some fan asked him about abandoning the project?
no

Old 06-06-2018, 12:01 AM   #16
fuzzyroes
Banned

I mean, if you bought the 2 E.P's (I did, don't ask me why lol), they were clearly marked "Teargarden by Kaleidoscope" and then the next 2 songs were released in the format of the 8 previous songs. After Owata (or was it Lightning Strikes? oh well doesn't matter) he clearly abandoned the project and got the deal with EMI to release a new album.

For the sake of argument though, were the physical copies of Oceania or Monuments To An Elegy labeled as being part of the "Teargarden series" or anything like that? I didn't buy either album, but I'm pretty sure they weren't, right? If they were legitimately part of the project, there'd be a mention about it on or at least inside the cover.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:03 AM   #17
redbreegull

he said a whole bunch of times that oceania was an "album within an album." this is before oceania came out. he made big fuckin deal about how he had tried the single release at a time model and now he felt like these songs were part of a cohesive album inside an album yadda yadda some horseshit which was obviously an attempt for him to abandon teargarden and save face

Old 06-06-2018, 12:07 AM   #18
fuzzyroes
Banned

That was before the album actually came out though, right? It may have been the initial plan to somehow work the album into the format, but my understanding is that he ditched that idea before the album was released. As far as I know, there was no mention of the album being a part of teargarden on the actual CD or Vinyl.... Not even so much as a sticker on the cover... Which pretty much puts to rest any notion that it was intended to be related to the 2 E.P.'s in any way.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:10 AM   #19
redbreegull

Quote:
That was before the album actually came out though, right? It may have been the initial plan to somehow work the album into the format, but my understanding is that he ditched that idea before the album was released. As far as I know, there was no mention of the album being a part of teargarden on the actual CD or Vinyl.... Not even so much as a sticker on the cover... Which pretty much puts to rest any idea that it was intended to be a part of the first 2 E.P.'s
why can't you ever just accept that you had an incorrect perception about something

Old 06-06-2018, 12:11 AM   #20
redbreegull

Old 06-06-2018, 12:14 AM   #21
fuzzyroes
Banned

Lol what bullshit

look at Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tearga...y_Kaleidyscope

Looks like the bands really trying to sell that Monuments and Oceania are a part of it. I honestly didn't realize that.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:16 AM   #22
fuzzyroes
Banned

Come on RBG, you're buying that Billy Corgan spin-job?

Please explain to me how Oceania and Monuments have anything to do with Teargarden? There was no mention about Teargarden on the Oceania OR Monuments physical releases... Don't you think that was something they would have included if it was legitimately a part of the project?

It's clearly BS.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:17 AM   #23
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

I actually met some dude that said Teargarden by Kaleidyscope was his favorite Pumpkins album, and then he bragged about having the obelisk

Old 06-06-2018, 12:17 AM   #24
redbreegull

Quote:
Come on RBG, you're buying that Billy Corgan spin-job?

Please explain to me how in what way Oceania and Monuments have anything to do with Teargarden. There was no mention of Teargarden on Oceania OR Monuments... Don't you think that was something they would have included if it was legitimately a part of the project?

It's clearly BS.
you understand that billy corgan is the artist, right

Old 06-06-2018, 12:19 AM   #25
redbreegull

I don't know about MTAE, people may be attempting to make it part of TGBK in hindsight.... but Oceania 100% was described as being part of it by the artist before during and after. It has always been part of TGBK.

I'm not saying it's not bullshit, but you're wrong. It's an "album within an album." It was done the way it was so he could release a real album and get publicity and make money and go on a tour I'm sure while saving face and walking away from the earlier concept. But you're still wrong.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:58 AM   #26
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
the biggest promise Bill ever broke:

"I will never, never, never, never fucking sell out."
did he say this before or after he wrote today?

Old 06-06-2018, 04:32 AM   #27
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

I remember bolly saying: i release one song a month. After 5 weeks people got upset, the second song was 6 weeks waiting. And after that noone gave a shit anymore.
Same with solara now- billy is personally responsible for his loss of success and the fanbase.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:35 AM   #28
FoolofaTook

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Old 06-06-2018, 05:35 AM   #29
T&T
Socialphobic

Oach and MTAE have things in common with the teargarden series in that they all sucked.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:32 AM   #30
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Teargarden was about "the fools journey" and Billy is still a goddamn fool / imbecile = We are still inside Teargarden. Any dumb shit he says about albums within albums is just part of his journey