Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2014, 09:10 PM   #151
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
i've listened to practically everything they released on the studio albums by this point, i think i have some sort of authority on "how they sound"
Quote:
i've listened to practically everything they released on the studio albums by this point, i think i have some sort of authority on "how they sound"
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Old 12-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #152
I'm Hardcore
Banned

so they don't give a fuck because the first minute of this song isn't structured four-chord pop music?

Old 12-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #153
I'm Hardcore
Banned

ooooooh outside the square right here, Gallaghers.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #154
I'm Hardcore
Banned

OOOOOOH TURN IT UP LOUD BOYS!!

Old 12-28-2014, 09:14 PM   #155
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Definitely Maybe isn't the worst album in the world. But seriously if you think this band "turned up guitars and banged drums", i'd hasten to say that your musical experience is somewhat limited.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:14 PM   #156
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

i wasn't equating not-giving-a-fuck with making avant garde art-jazz or whatever the hell it is you're getting at

i didn't say they were extremely removed from the "songwriting box" either

it's just that their whole approach to the thing was pretty much, from gallagher's mouth, "snorting coke and hitting record," not some laborious radio-minded process

and hearing all their albums, that's just something i did for bands i got into at 14

Old 12-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #157
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Quote:

it's just that their whole approach to the thing was pretty much, from gallagher's mouth, "snorting coke and hitting record," not some laborious radio-minded process
which is complete bullshit. they have ALWAYS been radio-friendly.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #158
I'm Hardcore
Banned

you mentioned "avant garde art jazz", not me.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:16 PM   #159
I'm Hardcore
Banned

but i guess, you are an authority....

Old 12-28-2014, 09:18 PM   #160
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Hardcore View Post
they have ALWAYS been radio-friendly.
they have, mostly because their favorite music was, honestly

if L & N had grown up on ornette coleman or something it would have been loud saxophones & tom-heavy percussion, they just happened to really like their set of Beatles, Stones, & Kinks' best-ofs

their "not giving a fuck" attitude was more about the kind of booksmart attitude they felt was bein projected by Radiohead & co, a bitter middle-class rebellion thing than any resistance toward actually being played & listened to. if that was the case they would have broken up after album 1, if not sooner

Old 12-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #161
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Quote:
if L & N had grown up on ornette coleman or something it would have been loud saxophones & tom-heavy percussion, they just happened to really like their set of Beatles, Stones, & Kinks' best-ofs
and?

Old 12-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #162
I'm Hardcore
Banned

if i grew up in an African-American household, chances are i'd listen to nothing but hip hop. what's your fucking point man?

Old 12-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #163
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Quote:
their "not giving a fuck" attitude was more about the kind of booksmart attitude they felt was bein projected by Radiohead & co, a bitter middle-class rebellion thing than any resistance toward actually being played & listened to. if that was the case they would have broken up after album 1, if not sooner
so they "rebelled" and became a better, more musically superior band than Radiohead? is that what you're saying?

Old 12-28-2014, 09:27 PM   #164
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
you mentioned "avant garde art jazz", not me.
because you started making it seem more like a debate about their actual song structures or something, i was just stating what i thought was the obvious - they were just playing noel's songs through turned-up guitars and pounding drums

maybe the drum part subsided a little after Definitely Maybe, since they changed drummers in that instance. maybe "pounding" isn't the best word, but still. there's something reckless about that part of the band at times particularly on stuff like "Fade Away."
Quote:
but i guess, you are an authority....
when i've heard practically all of their album material? i think i'm an authority to make objective statements on how they sound, yes

Old 12-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #165
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
and?
Quote:
if i grew up in an African-American household, chances are i'd listen to nothing but hip hop. what's your fucking point man?
Quote:
so they "rebelled" and became a better, more musically superior band than Radiohead? is that what you're saying?
my point was that they were radio-friendly because their favorite bands were some of the most radio-friendly in the history of rock & roll, it wasn't some market ploy. you're saying the popularity element of 'em is a reflection on their shit-giving status or whatever, i'm saying they just like the beatles & other people seemed to like their interpretation of that.

i don't even know how you could get that third thing from what i'd said, though

Old 12-28-2014, 09:31 PM   #166
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Quote:
i was just stating what i thought was the obvious - they were just playing noel's songs through turned-up guitars and pounding drums
i was just stating what i thought was the obvious - there is nothing special about Oasis, never has been. musically and lyrically unremarkable, safe rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola
when i've heard practically all of their album material? i think i'm an authority to make objective statements on how they sound, yes
i've heard their records too, and you sound a jerk

Old 12-28-2014, 09:33 PM   #167
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Quote:
my point was that they were radio-friendly because their favorite bands were some of the most radio-friendly in the history of rock & roll, it wasn't some market ploy. you're saying the popularity element of 'em is a reflection on their shit-giving status or whatever, i'm saying they just like the beatles & other people seemed to like their interpretation of that.
no. i said that Oasis have always tried to portray themselves as not giving a fuck, which is completely off base.

their popularity comes from the fact that casual music fans can sing along to their songs at parties, much like a Bon Jovi or a Bryan Adams.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:35 PM   #168
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

the comment about hearing all of their albums wasn't a boast, i was just pointing out where i was coming from on that. and honestly, didn't think anyone who'd heard stuff outside of the radio singles/acoustic songs would disagree that oasis were loud.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:35 PM   #169
I'm Hardcore
Banned

"all my people, right here, right now. do you know what i mean? yeah, yeah"

- Bono

Old 12-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #170
mojo
Ownz

Never loved Oasis (too much of a disappointed/impatient Stone Roses fan for that) but wound up seeing them a few times. When Liam was into it he was utterly captivating, when he wasn’t it was murder. It took Noel going solo to appreciate that he has zero stage presence and charisma without Liam, no matter how dry and hilarious he is in interviews. Couldn’t give less of a fuck about whether they reform but do sincerely wish they’d written more songs like this –

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I3CwSXhd40

Old 12-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #171
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

they've never made a secret of wanting to be the biggest band in the world, or feeling like they were the best

but in terms of what they didn't give a fuck about? people thinking they weren't intricate or arty enough, basically, wasn't fabricated. how they were wasn't an act

Old 12-28-2014, 09:44 PM   #172
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Quote:
they've never made a secret of wanting to be the biggest band in the world, or feeling like they were the best
end of argument, then. dudes totally gave a fuck, always.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #173
slunken
Virgo

where were u whil we were gettin high

Old 12-28-2014, 09:54 PM   #174
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

that wasn't what the attitude was ever directed to, though
it was at bands who actually went out of their way to state that they didn't want "huge followings"
i was disagreeing about the band's approach & their alleged "overproduced tripe," when i feel like - until they actually became big maybe - they were about as straightforward as it gets. what they said is what they did

Old 12-28-2014, 09:55 PM   #175
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
until they actually became big maybe
definitely maybe

Old 12-28-2014, 09:58 PM   #176
mojo
Ownz

Quote:
end of argument, then. dudes totally gave a fuck, always.
Of course. Always. Especially Noel. He was a working class roadie nearing 30 when Creation signed them and the chance wasn't going to come again. There's a hilarious bit in the book about Creation when, in one of their first meetings, Noel says how much he loves U2 and Alan MacGee is appalled and changes the subject to Big Star. Noel duly affects much enthusiasm for all things Alex Chilton but later conceded he'd never heard of them. Being on the same label as the Mary Chain, Ride, Primal Scream & MBV gave Oasis a crucial launchpad as an indie band (at least in UK) and it obscured who and what they really were and then they were massive and it didn't matter...

Old 12-29-2014, 12:18 AM   #177
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
Well yes completely, but just like in American 90's rock there's that 70's British Blues influence that I find vulgar
I'm with slunken. There's hardly any blues in 90s American rock outside of Aerosmith and Guns and Roses.

Oasis being somewhat influenced by the Rolling Stones did make them different from most of their Britpop peers.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:11 AM   #178
mojo
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
I'm with slunken. There's hardly any blues in 90s American rock outside of Aerosmith and Guns and Roses.

Oasis being somewhat influenced by the Rolling Stones did make them different from most of their Britpop peers.
The only Britpop era album that bears a big Stones influence is Primal Scream's Give Out Don't Give Up...to the point of parody in fact.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:20 AM   #179
Catherine Wheel
Banned

So Coldplay and Oasis do have something in common. They were never cool bands within the Britpop scene. Both always looked down upon by indie rock fans and hipsters.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:23 AM   #180
I'm Hardcore
Banned

and they're both godawful