Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #1261
*TL*
Pledge

Well I was the first to think Jeff, Lisa and Ginger were great and very good musicians....that's why I think It's normal Billy thanx them...and for all the reasons you said upper too.
I just think they should be more than thanked but have as much part as Billy and Jimmy..in the band ( not only from fans)
Even if they 've been there for two/three years only..they did a fucking work: confronting Billy, the band past , fans, the high music level...that's why they should be considered as "heros" too.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:12 PM   #1262
Pizza Club
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
omg did you cry???
omg like almost totally. it was like when my bff broke up with her bf b4 prom.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:12 PM   #1263
sirbillgiles
Amish Rake Fighter

That's cool that the 5 star was so good for the Monday show. Sounds like you got a 6 star experience versus our 4.1 star experience the night before (no soundcheck or Q&A). It appears we lost out in favor of Billy's family and other types ov visitors that were at the show and the low number of 5 star attendees (8). Fortunately the kick ass show Sunday saved the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRiordan View Post
5 star VIP was great... we got to watch 50+ minutes of soundcheck

Old 12-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #1264
el_hemeno
Pledge

The Aragon show was a hoot. Lots of fun with the Frogs and Billy's brother. Probably the most rocking Set the Controls from the whole tour. The whole show rocked. Lots of singles which was probably good for the gen adm. I was hit in the face by Jimmy Frog's wing

The Auditorium show was great because of how energetic and enthusiastic Billy was. Soma was sloppy. Then they threw out Christmas presents from a coffin at the end while Christmastime played over the PA.

Anyway, I recorded both of the shows (audio 16-bit 44kHz wav). Will work to transfer all of that soon.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:33 PM   #1265
*TL*
Pledge

interesting interview (a new one): Billy Corgan dishes on the Smashing Pumpkins: The past is dead to me | Turn It Up - A guided tour through the worlds of pop, rock and rap

Corgan:
"I’m not a humble musician, but I am a humble human being"---- exactly

"Tribune: You said a few years ago that you were going to try and keep your mouth shut and let the music be the story. But that hasn’t been the case.

Corgan: I tried that for a while and it wasn’t working. I’m cemented in an image. I have to move to France to change that."
--------Why moving to France ???? what's the difference in France? don't understand

Old 12-09-2008, 12:44 PM   #1266
Eulogy
huh

mannn i was so glad i didn't look at the setlist.

Starting with Ava Adore was probably the best thing they could have done from my perspective. fucking. awesome. great show.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:34 PM   #1267
HelloKittyKat
Pledge

well hello there ms. corgan le fay

Old 12-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #1268
corganlefay
Amish Rake Fighter

Hey!

Old 12-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #1269
Eulogy
huh

oh yeah

someone tell me when there's a decent-quality recording of the 12/8 show up somewhere.

I NEED IT.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #1270
HelloKittyKat
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
oh yeah

someone tell me when there's a decent-quality recording of the 12/8 show up somewhere.

I NEED IT.
ditto. same for 12/7 as well.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #1271
toadkat9
Pledge

Quote:
Before Landslide, Billy was addressing Jeff. He said they were going to play a Stevie Nicks song... and said that he had some family members in attendance at the Aragon last night, and that was the only song they requested. He's like, "they didn't even wanna hear my songs". So then Jeff goes, "what's the difference?" LMAO!!! Not sure what to make of that one, but people were laughing and others booing / ooooohing. I guess Jeff was joking, in his weird way, haha.
What's funny about this is that they didn't even play Landslide at the Aragon show. If Billy's own family can't persuade him to play a certain song (ESPECIALLY one that they'd been playing on the tour)... what makes us think that our opinions have any merit??

Old 12-09-2008, 03:38 PM   #1272
avsfan7733
Apocalyptic Poster

Great show last night.

I had alot of fun running from street to street with everyone after too. See you next year.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #1273
blueEyez6489
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine Walker View Post
i managed to avoid almost all of the setlist info up until every show, and i have to say that last night was fantastic.

after seeing five shows this year, last night's show was sort of an emotional end for me (i'm a nerd, shut up), and i'm glad i got to see the coffin bit and actually be surprised by some of the songs they played.

very, very cool. my hope in this band has been restored.
me too. i always get sad after seeing billy live because i dont want it to be the last time.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:07 PM   #1274
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Old 12-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #1275
wHATcOLOR

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by big easy View Post
JRiordan,
I was that dude in the center section on the aisle, actually in the 3rd row, going crazy all night. I was maybe a little too crazy a couple of times I would suspect that you are the one in the second row that was to my left that was also going as crazy as I was. There were a couple of times that I looked over at you and smiled. Everything that you wrote in your post I agree with wholeheartedly. Great job.

It is a night that I will never forget.

Chris
do we have a possible love connection here, Chris?

edit: either i've stumbled upon the prescience i've always desired or the server is displaying posts in the wrong order

Old 12-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #1276
big easy
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Show was fantastic. Billy played a lot of songs up to the audience, calling for participation, clapping, etc, and it seemed like 95% of the venue was right there with him. Really great energy. Everyone seemed to love it. 2nd row Ginger side was rocking!!!

There was a 50+ year old guy next to me... at some point early in the show (maybe after Cherub Rock) he tapped my shoulder, so I turned, and he had this total "Holy shit" look of awe on his face, and gave me a high five. He seemed to know most of the songs... he was even singing Suffer. Right on dude! Also, the 3rd row behind me was 50-60 year old dudes, who all seemed to be blown away. Another dude who was in the center section (direct in front of Billy), about 4th row on the aisle b/n Billy and Ginger was going crazy all night... perhaps the only person whose energy rivaled mine

VERY warm comments from Billy all night, culminating in a long speech about the band, Chicago, etc. He said that one of the reasons it took them so long to return to Chicago was that they really wanted to be ready for it, and now they are. He also thanked everyone who supported the band in the whole process of getting back together. He said the end of this tour marks the end of the Zeitgeist era.

He said it took a lot of work to put this tour together, and thanked all the backing musicians. He then gave major thank yous to Jeff and Ginger. "We need someone who can play the metal right", referring to Jeff. And "Ginger laying it down every night". Huge ovation for them. He also thanked Jimmy, "his best friend, his partner in crime... who has the muscles" (Jimmy then flexed his bicep, lol).

After I am One Part 2 (which to me felt quite different than 2nd night of Chicago Theatre... tonight I could actually make out some rhythms)... a bunch of people started walking out on stage slowly in this "funeral procession". Someone was wearing Billy's sun god outfit... some said it was Dennis Flemion of The Frogs, but I'm not sure. Billy was wearing a black cloak or robe. There was also a nun, and maybe another guy in a black cloak -- I am not sure. And all of the band was there too, I think.

They carried this huge coffin to center stage. Everyone in the audience was very very quiet during this... it was really quite creepy. After a minute or so of suspense, they took the cover off and "Christmastime" started playing on the house speakers. Everyone then started throwing the presents everywhere... lots of boxes of candy canes, signed T-shirts, other "toys" (like Cara and Sarah, hahaha). Also they were all throwing lots of guitar picks. I got one from Ginger. After all the hoopla subsided (it was pretty chaotic)... Billy was alone on stage, and said thanks, and "Have a great Christmas and great new year"... then he said, "Well, have a good Christmas and an even better new year". At least, that's what I recall. Crowd was giving tons of love.

I could not have asked for a better show... really an amazing end to the year.
JRiordan,
I was that dude in the center section on the aisle, actually in the 3rd row, going crazy all night. I was maybe a little too crazy a couple of times because the security guy that was in front of us, with his back to the stage, warned me that the lady that was seated in front of me in the 2nd row was actually pregnant and he wanted me to be careful. I would suspect that you are the one in the second row that was to my left that was also going as crazy as I was. There were a couple of times that I looked over at you and smiled. Everything that you wrote in your post I agree with wholeheartedly. Great job.

I'm originally from New Orleans and saw the Pumpkins for the first time while they were opening up for the Chili Peppers at the State Palace Theater in December of 1991. There was also another band that nobody had ever heard of playing before the Pumpkins. I think Pearl Jam was their name. As a huge Peppers fan at the time, I have to admit they were my 3rd favorite band that evening. That night was the beginning of my lifelong connection with the Pumpkins and PJ. So much so that I quit my fairly high paying bartender gig for a college kid when I told them that I needed the next couple of days off to follow this tour to Texas and the manager told me no. Probably not the smartest thing in the world to do at the time, but there is no way in the world that I would ever change that decision. That night in NOLA and the next couple of nights in Houston and Austin basically groomed me for the next almost two decades of my love affair with music. Here is a picture of the Kozik poster that I got from that tour that is hanging in my basement bar.
http://www.fivehorizons.com/tour/mem/post_kozik91.gif

I have seen the SP many times over the years and have enjoyed watching them grow. When they broke up in 2000 I was sad and hoped that one day they would get back together. A few of the side projects that have come along have been missing something for me. There have been some good moments, but nothing that I felt inspired by in truth. When I heard that Billy and Jimmy were going to continue on as the SP without D'Arcy and James, my initial reaction was indifference. But the more I thought about it the two things that made the SP so relevant to me were Billy and Jimmy. That personal realization made me excited to see what it was all about. When I saw them at the Horseshoe in Hammond there were moments that gave me a peek at the greatness that this band had delivered in the past, but it still fell a little short of my lofty expectations as a whole.

After reading the reviews from the previous Chicago shows, I wanted to believe that people were just not giving them a chance to showcase their newfound excitement for the fresh faces in the line-up and the new material that they have worked so hard to create. I can see where Billy would get a frustrated and lash out at the people that were not being receptive with the ferocity that we know he can unleash on his naysayers. That is just him whether you are with him or without him. There has always been a line in the sand drawn by him. while not always in total agreement with all of his antics, I've always put my feet firmly on the same side as him. This has probably been directly attributed to the time that I have invested in this band. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it is just the way it is.

After seeing the show last night from the 3rd row right in the middle, I can tell you quite honestly that I could not be more excited to see what the future has in store for the SP. The tightness portrayed by the band with both the old and new material could not have impressed me more. Billy was instantly smitten with this particular crowd and gave everyone exactly what they came to see..... a good OLD fashioned SP in your face, kick your teeth down your throat, rock concert. The melodies on all of the slow material were spot on and Billy's voice sounded as fresh as ever. He was charming, embracing and most of all welcoming to everyone in attendance. You could truely see the sincerity in his eyes and voice when he thanked Ginger and Jeff for being in the band. He is probably at a time in his life that he can be more appreciative to people that mean something to him. But this was probably not more evident until he mentioned Jimmy. You could tell that there is no one in his life that he trusts and loves more than him. It is probably hard for someone like Billy to open up to another person as much as he does to Jimmy. They have been through alot together and have been there for one another for over 20 years. They have a special bond that not only resonates through their music, but also through the undeniable connection that they share on stage together. It is a very powerful thing to watch unfold right in front of you. I've been watching this dynamic for many years and it hasn't wavered one bit, no matter what you read or hear from newspaper or rock journalists. Anyone that tries to refute this is just plain blind in my eyes.

At the end of the show when the band opened up the casket to throw the presents out to the crowd, the first item that Billy pulled out of the box was a reindeer with red and white striped stockings on his legs that were very similar to the ones both Billy and Jimmy were wearing last night and have worn over the years. He threw it right to me. Last night when I got home, I went straight into my 2 year old Ian's room while he was sleeping and put it right next to him in his crib. What a perfect ending to a perfect night. Thanks, guys. It is a night that I will never forget.

Chris

Old 12-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #1277
avsfan7733
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post

either i've stumbled upon the prescience i've always desired or the server is displaying posts in the wrong order

Old 12-09-2008, 07:59 PM   #1278
big easy
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
do we have a possible love connection here, Chris?

edit: either i've stumbled upon the prescience i've always desired or the server is displaying posts in the wrong order
A connection stemming from the love of the same music perhaps, but I'm afraid it ended at that. I've already been made an honest man some 7 years ago.

If you have achieved what you have so desired with the whole prescience thing, be very careful. That type of power could become very dangerous in the wrong hands. Hopefully for everyone else's sake it is just a server error.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:05 PM   #1279
wHATcOLOR

you're being a real buzzkill, you know that Chris?

Old 12-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #1280
big easy
Amish Rake Fighter

I'm 36 now, married and have a kid. That is what we do. I was once a formidable opponent to the buzzkill. Even though I'm trying desperately to put it off, adulthood is rearing it's ugly head in my life. People have always told me that it is an inevitability, but I refuse to go down without a fight.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:54 PM   #1281
sirbillgiles
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
oh yeah

I NEED IT.
Can't wait for the official CDs for these to show up that I ordered. Anyone have any idea how long after the shows before the CDs for previous shows arrived? Santa better stuff my stocking before Christmas or I'm gonna cry.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:14 PM   #1282
Pizza Club
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbillgiles View Post
Santa better stuff my stocking before Christmas or I'm gonna cry.
Not gonna happen

Old 12-09-2008, 11:22 PM   #1283
Skradgee
Boardcaster

such great times...it was very nice meeting you avsfan, blissedandgone2, steven, and the rest of the after-show crew.

I video taped ALL of The Frogs' set in HD @ 60fps. I almost turned off the recorder just before Billy came out, but then I ended up taping the whole thing. I'll try to get that out sometime soon but I've never authored a DVD before so it may take me a little while. Also, I recorded audio of SP's set at the Aragon. That sounds great from everything I've heard of it so far. I had good luck with few people around me talking.

The last night at the Auditorium Theatre I shot video from the 2nd Balcony, D1 @ 60fps. Unfortionatly the battery died towards the very end of The March Hare, so everything after that point is missing. Again, I'll try to get that out soon but it may take me a while. I have more experience with audio than video.

ps, GUITAR PICKS??!??!????

Old 12-09-2008, 11:28 PM   #1284
fromcityskyline
Oblivious Virgin

who all waited for billy after the aragon show? I was there

good to see I wasn't the only one pleased! I'm so fuckin excited at how awesome the shows were. I want some recordings, too; I want to relive every moment of the past two nights. I don't care if they only play new songs from here on out.. the new songs kicked ass.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:30 PM   #1285
fromcityskyline
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skradgee View Post

ps, GUITAR PICKS??!??!????

baaahahahahahaha

Old 12-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #1286
HelloKittyKat
Pledge

i waited after at the aragon! and i totally agree about the new songs. cant wait to see what they'll hit us with next!

Old 12-09-2008, 11:33 PM   #1287
avsfan7733
Apocalyptic Poster

i'm starting to feel bad for guitar pick guy.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:38 PM   #1288
Rickpat12
Apocalyptic Poster

Me too...I'm debating changing my avatar.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:42 PM   #1289
fromcityskyline
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldango View Post
I GOT A HORSE AND AN ETCH A SKETCH

HELLO
liar, you were supposed to wait until christmas to open that second one!

this is erin, by the way..

Old 12-09-2008, 11:46 PM   #1290
fromcityskyline
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKittyKat View Post
i waited after at the aragon! and i totally agree about the new songs. cant wait to see what they'll hit us with next!
yeah.. I felt bad because billy seemed to get ticked at mr. rocket, so I started shouting "99 Floors! Song for a Son!" because I wanted billy to know some of us appreciate the new stuff.

rocketmaaaaaaan.