Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2007, 10:44 PM   #61
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs
I resfuse to listen to Zeitgesit until I have a copy of the CD in my hand. However, I am ecstatic about the fact that the usually hateful Netphoria seems to dig this album. 3rd best The Smashing Pumpkins have ever done...? I can live with that!

So not the the 3rd best. It's getting high placement cause of excitement.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:48 PM   #62
caliphornia
Ownz

it is the third best IMO. for sure.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:50 PM   #63
MisterSquishyHalo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PkPhuoko
I say all this as a jaded fan who hated everything post machina and one who was less than impressed with the live versions of most of these songs. As a studio album this is a good studio album and a great start to what is hopefully a sustained reincarnation of the pumpkins.

Welcome to the light.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:51 PM   #64
Mr.Deadite
Pledge

Siamese Dream
Adore
MCIS
Gish
Zeitgeist
Machina

Old 06-30-2007, 10:51 PM   #65
TheMilstead
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliphornia
it is the third best IMO. for sure.
4th or 5th maybe. Not 3rd.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:52 PM   #66
Rider
Minion of Satan

The bad lyrcis are really holding this album back from having some great songs. If the better songs had better lyrics some sort of anthem it would be much better.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:53 PM   #67
MisterSquishyHalo
Apocalyptic Poster

Will people consider it a success if its better than machina?

Old 06-30-2007, 10:58 PM   #68
Shroom
Pledge

I just want to say I didn't download the album because I don't do illegal shit like that, and I don't want billy to put me in jail because being anal raped once is quite enough thank you but I will post my educated guesses to what i think my opinions of the album will be once it's released in stores and I obtain it through legal means.

I'm not doing track by track because that's gay. Most of the songs sound better than live versions, I kind of miss the backing vocals of the ladies on bleeding the orchid. I don't know why people kept saying that's the way will be a single it's very meh and sounds like washed out machina spunk. I like Starz alot but I still think the "we are starz" part sounds gay as fuck. I like Bring the light alot more than I expected based on what people said about it. United States is I think even better than live except I miss the crowd chanting during the pauses in the end. Come on let's go does sound like filler which is disappointing because I find usually for better or worse none of the songs on previous albums didn't feel like filler (obviously not including mary star and TFE in that) For God and Country is probably the big surprise but it's still not a great track. I don't think there is any excuse for track on here sounding like they could have been on TFE, Billy should have got that shit out of his system and moved on. Im surprised how much I like Pomp, it sounds like it could have been on TAFH or something. In some ways it's the song that reminds me most of that era.

So yeah the mastering on the album sounds kind of shitty, but each album since siamese dream has had it's flaws in different ways.

I've already tested it out and it's very easy to remaster this to make it sound several hundred times better, just put some stereo widening on it and bumb the highs and lows up a little. The problem is the vocals are too much in the center and they sound flat, and there is too much mids. It's easy to fix and I don't care if it's not how the band intended it to sound or whatever because it sounds better.

Of course I'm just guessing because I didn't download the album anyway.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:59 PM   #69
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSquishyHalo
Will people consider it a success if its better than machina?
you mean sales wise? Most people will say "its the best since MCIS" if it goes platinum relatively quickly.

"better" is a realtive term

Old 06-30-2007, 11:01 PM   #70
caliphornia
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMilstead
4th or 5th maybe. Not 3rd.
ok, don't tell me it's not 3rd because i was expressing my opinion. opinion does not = fact...

IMO it's third

Old 06-30-2007, 11:03 PM   #71
TheMilstead
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliphornia
ok, don't tell me it's not 3rd because i was expressing my opinion. opinion does not = fact...

IMO it's third
Okay, but in my opinion, it's more like 4th.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:04 PM   #72
caliphornia
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMilstead
Okay, but in my opinion, it's more like 4th.
ok, i respect that

Old 06-30-2007, 11:05 PM   #73
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

My review from rateyourmusic.com:

It seems like Billy Corgan has been waiting to redeem himself for ages. Ever since his Pumpkins put out the disappointing farewell disc Machina, his band has had somewhat of a tarnished reputation. With Zeitgeist, Corgan has not only returned to form, but has also constructed a fresh new take on the signature Smashing Pumpkins sound. The most noticeable diversion is the multiple layers of his own voice in almost every song, which sometimes overwhelm the song ("Doomsday Clock", "Tarantula") and other times escalate the tune to near classic status ("Bleeding The Orchid"). The album's centerpiece, "United States", serves as a crushing blow to erase any doubts about the band's new sound - it's brutal in both sound and idea, with a devastating guitar and drum breakdown climax. The remainder of the album is uniformly strong, from the shoegaze-pop of "That's the Way (My Love Is)" to the Depeche Mode synth inspired "For God and Country", which is easily the best electronica-tinged song the band has released since "Ava Adore". While some questionable backing vocals are present on the otherwise rocking "Starz", the only truly glaring misstep on Zeitgeist is "Pomp and Circumstance", a blatant retread of Corgan's solo album, TheFutureEmbrace. All in all, Zeitgeist is the sound of an old band adapting to the spirit of the times in a state of utter triumph.

4 stars out of 5

Old 06-30-2007, 11:07 PM   #74
Mr.Deadite
Pledge

I'm glad you reviewed it, Pitchfork Reader Byron Barnes

Old 06-30-2007, 11:07 PM   #75
Boseph
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28
My review from rateyourmusic.com:

It seems like Billy Corgan has been waiting to redeem himself for ages. Ever since his Pumpkins put out the disappointing farewell disc Machina, his band has had somewhat of a tarnished reputation. With Zeitgeist, Corgan has not only returned to form, but has also constructed a fresh new take on the signature Smashing Pumpkins sound. The most noticeable diversion is the multiple layers of his own voice in almost every song, which sometimes overwhelm the song ("Doomsday Clock", "Tarantula") and other times escalate the tune to near classic status ("Bleeding The Orchid"). The album's centerpiece, "United States", serves as a crushing blow to erase any doubts about the band's new sound - it's brutal in both sound and idea, with a devastating guitar and drum breakdown climax. The remainder of the album is uniformly strong, from the shoegaze-pop of "That's the Way (My Love Is)" to the Depeche Mode synth inspired "For God and Country", which is easily the best electronica-tinged song the band has released since "Ava Adore". While some questionable backing vocals are present on the otherwise rocking "Starz", the only truly glaring misstep on Zeitgeist is "Pomp and Circumstance", a blatant retread of Corgan's solo album, TheFutureEmbrace. All in all, Zeitgeist is the sound of an old band adapting to the spirit of the times in a state of utter triumph.

4 stars out of 5
You should write for Pitchfork, man.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:07 PM   #76
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PkPhuoko
you mean sales wise? Most people will say "its the best since MCIS" if it goes platinum relatively quickly.

"better" is a realtive term

It's not going platinum. It will make gold, and that's only because of the slight sales push it will get from the different colors.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:10 PM   #77
Rider
Minion of Satan

God everytime I listen to the album, love it then I hear "WE ARE STARZ "

God damn it what a way to ruin the flow of a fucking album.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:13 PM   #78
Rider
Minion of Satan

DO all of the 30 different versions have Starz on them? If Billy puts out one without Starz thart's the one I want.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:16 PM   #79
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

everyone get a rateyourmusic account and review this shit so it doesn't get pummeled by the corgan haters!

it has a 3.81 on 12 ratings now: http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...ins/zeitgeist/

Old 06-30-2007, 11:21 PM   #80
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
everyone get a rateyourmusic account and review this shit so it doesn't get pummeled by the corgan haters!

it has a 3.81 on 12 ratings now: http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...ins/zeitgeist/

3.81 is prety much what it deservs though. Maybe a 4.1 on the high end.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:34 PM   #81
Mr.Deadite
Pledge

Bring the Light might be my favorite track.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:35 PM   #82
hnibos
Braindead

idk if its just me, but for god and country just may be the best thing corgan has done in a while

Old 06-30-2007, 11:36 PM   #83
hnibos
Braindead

god if tfe sounded like for god and country, i am blown away by this track

Old 06-30-2007, 11:37 PM   #84
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnibos
god if tfe sounded like for god and country, i am blown away by this track
yeah, exactly my thoughts. corgan finally can use synths and not suck.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:46 PM   #85
paranoid
Minion of Satan

ok..

First thing i'll say is that the productions sounds very raw, and it almost seems intentional.. Some of the drums on track sound thinner than usual (starz, neverlost).. but it works pretty nicely, adds to the vibe of the songs. In some cases the layered vocals can be a bit overwhelming, but something i'll get used to, because for the most part I like them.

Doomsday Clock- 7/10- pretty good opener, love how the loud guitar wall kicks right in after the drum intro, rocks throughout then ends.. next song.

7 Shades Of Black- 8/10- Sounds great, heavy and bad ass, the high saprano vocals in some of the detailed parts are a nice touch. my only gripe with this song is that it sounds like you've got two things happening, a drum and guitar track going on then a bunch of vocals up front, which is how it was recorded but the final product makes this process seem mechanical rather than combining all of the lements to make a grand whole (im trying to make sense here).. but over all the song is great and i love all of the guitar fills that you can't hear on the live version.

Bleeding The Orchid- 10/10- awesome, beautiful, haunting, rocking. god damnit this is what i love about this band. The vocal layering works beautifully here.. so ghostly, blends in really well with the rest of the instrumentation unlike 7 shades. great guitar and bass tones as well. The only gripe: ending guitar solo from live version is absent, but i'll get over it.

That's The Way - 10/10 - I didn't think I'd like this song (live version was kinda boring), but the studio rendition is fantastic, probably because you can hear all of the details a lot better. Straight forward with the lyrics too, i love a good love song. Vocal delivery is fantastic, bass playing is great (melodic rather than rooty). Soundscape reminds me of some of the better material on Machina II, which I'm a fan of (Real Love, Home). Love the break downs. Solo is great, actual musical thought put into this, which makes for some of billy's better solos (the wanky shredding gets old and predictable with him). Prob my fav so far.

Tarantula - 8/10 - fits perfect on the record, and here the wanky soloing works. great chorus, great drumming, good use of backing vocals, i love the dynamic reset towards the last half, which hasn't come out of this band in a long time. Works as a single as far as the sound goes, the lyrics i'm not sure anyone will get it.

Starz - 10/10 - I really like the vocals, especially the chorus and delay effects. overall production sounds dirty and fuzzy, which suits this song perfectly. the drum sound, like i said before, sounds thin but works really well here, sounds like he's playing on an old beat up drum kit made perfect for a trashy new wave rock club. Guitars sound great here. Synth parts work really well here, they don't overwhelm the song, they ad to it. Ending a great.

United States - 10/10 - kick ass, another one of jim's great drum tracks. Sounds like this was written in the same fashion as a lot of mellon collie tunes (see Pastichio medley) where the band just jammed out some great riffs then put them together into a well crafted song. Nice intro noise. The vocals a pretty great throughout, love the pitch changing delays.. his delay on the ''revolution'' chorus sounds sort of weak compared to the live shows, and i can NOT STAND the da la la la la backing vocal.. they could have done without that. GREAT GREAT Guitar SOUND! abslutely love the noise jam in the middle.. just guitar and drums (which is really the setup of this band now, seems like they are acknowledging that here). Ending jam is killer, sounds like classic pumpkins cyber metal. Could have used some sort of lead type of guitar there but it may have been overkill too.

Neverlost - 7/10 I get a bit overwhelmed by the synth and organ being layered on one another, and the drums do sound quite thin here, which kinda seems to thin the sound out.. basically- the instruments sound thick and grand then you have this very thin drum sound going on behind, almost like it was added in.. what's sad about this is that it's a fantastic performance on jimmy's part.. really great laid back groove, which is often jimmy at his best. I love the song as it is however, again his vocals here sound great. for whatever reason, also sounds like something that could have been written from a pastichio medley style session (mellower stuff).

Bring The Light - 10/10 - what a great fucking suprise. smiling all the way through, sounds dark but happy at the same time, optimistic i guess would be a great word. One of those songs you fall in love with first listen, which i didn't think would happen with this record (i like a lot of the other songs a lot now because it took me the past month to get used to them). Awesome guitar solo, probably going to be one of my all time favorites from the pumpkins department. nicely written too, great use of dynamics. Love the great use of ambient guitar sounds and synths, which has been missing since MCIS.

Come On (Lets Go) - 5/10 - boring. maybe ill get used to it, but following bring the light this song sounds pretty weak. catchy, but just kinda happens.

For God and Country - 7/10 - much better than the acoustic version. at first i thought the instrumentation was going to remain the same throughout, but the guitars and fuzz bass drop in and out at the right times. Could have used more oomph from the drum department. Really cool piano intro.

Pomp & Circumstances - 4/10 - wasn't sure if i should laugh or enjoy it.. it just sounds so damn cheesy.. i HATE that cliche electric piano sound.. then of course the grand guitar, sounds bleh. no jimmy! wtf yo? just put this on another BC solo record and get this shit out of the way. I have to say though, this is probably one of Billy's best vocal deliveries in a long time.

overall score: 96/120 - really happy with the vocal performance, i was expecting the worst here, mostly because i didn't like how he sounded on the zwan and his TFE album, but he sounds great here. The bass playing on this record also stand out, better thought out lines from a melodic sense, which interacts very well with jims drumming. Kinda reminds me of some of the bass work on gish. Jimmy gets better with age, fantastic work on his part. Bring The Light also proves the RTB should have been producing more songs on this record.

Most fav to least fav - Bring the light, that's the way, bleeding the orchid, United States, Starz, Tarantula, 7 Shades, Neverlost, Doomsday, FG+C, Come on, Pomp.

great suprise, beats the shit out of machina, we'll see how it fairs over time.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:54 PM   #86
hnibos
Braindead

Quote:
yeah, exactly my thoughts. corgan finally can use synths and not suck.
well i think he has used some synth in the past and it not completely suck, but i get what you mean, shit, i may go out on a limb and say that its better than a lot of tracks off adore

Old 06-30-2007, 11:56 PM   #87
douglas78
Apocalyptic Poster

Good album with flowing tracks. That's about all I could really hope for. Really liking That's the way. A few of the songs need more listening, loving it nonetheless.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:57 PM   #88
paranoid
Minion of Satan

oh btw..

zeitgeist studio>zeitgeist live.

like all their other records (except machina), this record trumps the live show by far.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:09 AM   #89
japert smash
Pledge

my short review

doomsday clock - 4/5
7 shades of black - 5/5
bleeding the orchid - 5/5
thats the way - 4/5
tarantula - 5/5
starz - 4/5
united states - 5/5 the best track of the record, one of the best of the smashing pumpkins
neverlost - 3/5
bring in the light - 4/5
come on lets go - 5/5
for god and country - 2/5
pomp and circumstance - 4/5

50/60 - 4 star record, 2 different tracks and it would have been perfection but never the less its the best rock album of this decade

Old 07-01-2007, 12:28 AM   #90
mcallima
Pledge

Scrap the last three songs, add Gossamer, bring in Flood and rewrite the Starz lyrics. There's a good album. 6.8/10