Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #31
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

who gives a fuck

if you think the SP legacy isn't "has beens" or tarnished then you're a dickhead

Old 03-26-2014, 04:45 PM   #32
Trotskilicious
Banned

they are has beens specifically BECAUSE bill tarnished the legacy by being a dick AT THE TIME

i mean RBG was what, not even born when SD came out? Or when bill burned all the bridges at Lolla or any of the whinding and bitching and moaning he does every time there's a mic in his face?

to be frank, the 20 year anniversary tour was probably one of the biggest disasters for his reputation and legacy, you get all these fans come out to see this band that broke up and motherfucker bitches about he's not popular. you think people weren't paying attention to that? that they don't know anything about that? that it doesn't spread word of mouth? I have friends who collect SP vinyl who said "after that i never want to see them again" who are you talking about? Dickhead Q. Public? Did these people even give a shit about the band in the first place? if they didn't why would they now? How is that not part of the legacy?

Old 03-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #33
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post

part of what legacy means is the popular/pervasive opinion of the band as time goes on, it's not considering the isolated appreciation of several albums that were released.
all that needed to be said. great point.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:32 PM   #34
Trotskilicious
Banned

see?

Old 03-26-2014, 09:20 PM   #35
slunken
Virgo

I sense another self-promotion coming

Old 03-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #36
T&T
Socialphobic

you guys checked out my band right!?

Old 03-26-2014, 09:53 PM   #37
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreatorkind View Post
Yes. I don't get music.
i know, you're still excited about SP

but i'm glad you admitted it

Old 03-26-2014, 09:57 PM   #38
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
This is a guy who started in a fucked up family in shitty suburbs of Chicago, then grew up and conquered the world and then just did whatever the fuck he wanted musically..
are you talking about kanye west because he's from the south side and i think his family was pretty good to him

Old 03-26-2014, 10:19 PM   #39
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
are you talking about kanye west because he's from the south side and i think his family was pretty good to him

Old 03-26-2014, 10:34 PM   #40
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
so you are saying the legacy of pretty much every band that is no longer popular is "has beens"
Most bands with great legacies knew when it was time to pack it up and call it quits... Or the members died so they didn't have the chance to carry on and drag the band through the mud for years and years... Look at the most revered bands in popular culture:The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix experience to the more current examples like The Police, The Smiths, Pantera, Nirvana . These bands never went through situations were they dragged the band name through the dirt, touring with 1 or 2 original members, playing 1/3 full arenas.

And then you have the other kind of bands who have been together for years and years who have consistently put on great live shows and have released enough music that their fans enjoyed to consistently sell out large venues: Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Pearl Jam etc.

The Pumpkins are the kind of band who had a bright moment back in the day with a couple of big albums who now have a desperate front man who's tried to do everything he could to capitalize off of their former glory. Fans of music have a pretty accurate bullshit meter and Corgans offended it at all levels lately.

As the only original member, Corgans touring around as the "Smashing Pumpkins", trying to relive his glory days by playing arenas that are only 1/4 to 1/3 full (even with half priced tickets being hocked at "groupon.com"), putting out lackluster music with lackluster musicians all in the name of capitlizing off of his former glory.

Lets face it, if that isn't tarnishing a legacy, I don't know what is.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:39 PM   #41
fuzzyroes
Banned

The Pumpkins actually have a lot in Common with the Pixies current situation.

Only the Pixies still put on great live shows that feature a musicianship that is at the level it was in their prime. And even though the Pixies new music is lackluster... It's still a fuck of a lot better than what Corgans crapped out since Jimmy left.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:41 PM   #42
Trotskilicious
Banned

first: i love the pixies

but they are essentially a punk band and i would not call what they do "great musicianship"

Old 03-26-2014, 10:42 PM   #43
Trotskilicious
Banned

"groupon.com"

Old 03-26-2014, 10:47 PM   #44
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
first: i love the pixies

but they are essentially a punk band and i would not call what they do "great musicianship"
If you're talking in a technically proficient kind of way then it's not. But they have their own cool, unusual sound going on. Guys like Lovering, Santiago and Francis are talented musicians and all have a unique style and they have a flawless chemistry that would be he hard to replicate with other people.

I know Deals gone now, but her parts are the easiest to replicate.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:50 PM   #45
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
"groupon.com"
Yeah man. It's the site that bands work with when they're concert tickets aren't selling. Nearly every (if not every) Pumpkins show on the Oceania tour had tickets available at half the price and sometimes even more on the site. Stone Temple Pilots used the site a lot too on their last tour before Weiland got the boot.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:01 PM   #46
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
their legacy is either "oh god i hate that guy's voice" or "man they used to be so great, how come they suck so much now?"/"I haven't listened to them since the 90s"

part of what legacy means is the popular/pervasive opinion of the band as time goes on, it's not considering the isolated appreciation of several albums that were released. Every time anyone talks about SP they have to add qualifiers like "Granted Bill Corgan is a douchebag" or "I know their albums these days are shit but" that's a legacy. Not how good MCIS is, or how it stands tall today.

like when Dubya always talked about how he wasn't appreciated as president now but as time goes on his LEGACY will be appreciated which is still LAUGHABLE MAN, HA HA!
Yeah, this. It's always one of those things.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:08 PM   #47
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
to be frank, the 20 year anniversary tour was probably one of the biggest disasters for his reputation and legacy, you get all these fans come out to see this band that broke up and motherfucker bitches about he's not popular. you think people weren't paying attention to that?
Yeah man, as awesome as it was to see him and Jimmy together, his behavior during that period was fucking embarrassing. He'd get into bitchy arguments with audience members (who knows if that was staged, but it was awkward as hell)

Old 03-26-2014, 11:13 PM   #48
null123
Minion of Satan

a grown adult man wrote this list

Old 03-26-2014, 11:13 PM   #49
null123
Minion of Satan

whoa excuse me, four adults wrote this including one adult female

Old 03-26-2014, 11:15 PM   #50
null123
Minion of Satan

"Rebellion is apparently overrated, and the band’s iconic symbol has become so meaningless that it’s nothing more than a trendy t-shirt design. "

;-(

Old 03-27-2014, 12:03 AM   #51
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
Yeah man, as awesome as it was to see him and Jimmy together, his behavior during that period was fucking embarrassing. He'd get into bitchy arguments with audience members (who knows if that was staged, but it was awkward as hell)
Man I'd pine for those 2008 days again. Sure there was turmoil and what not. But at least it was still interesting to follow. And Chamberlin and Billy still rocked it. Theres not really much of a reason to follow along nowadays.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:48 AM   #52
Trotskilicious
Banned

i judge people for knowing what the fuck they are talking about or not, you clearly do not

Old 03-28-2014, 03:49 AM   #53
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
it's not staged why would anyone stage that, there's no possible outcome where that turns out well

Old 03-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #54
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Yes, I clearly do not judge people
Not to get all philosophical and shit, but everyone judges everything, especially people. It's fucking human nature.