beef curtains
Immortal

Lightbulb For all you assholes who claim being fat isn't genetic

Fat Gene: It Really Exists

But Magic Bullet Weight-Loss Pill Still Years Away
By Jeanie Davis
Reviewed By Michael Smith, MD
WebMD Medical News

Oct. 30, 2002 -- Finally, there's proof -- those love handles and saddle bags may not be your fault. Researchers have identified a gene that directly causes obesity. They've christened it HOB1, for Human Obesity 1.

"It's very clear that obesity is [inheritable]," says Steven Stone, PhD, senior scientist at Myriad Genetics Inc. "This is the very first example of a gene that is involved in that process in humans."

In fact, the HOB1 discovery is likely the first baby step to the ultimate weight-loss pill -- one that could benefit those who are severely overweight, Stone tells WebMD. "It's not unreasonable that people who are less obese could get some benefit, too."

Researchers have long told us that the propensity for weight gain lies in our genes. Studies of twins and families have provided ample evidence of this. But until now, scientists have not isolated the gene or genes involved in that vulnerability.

"Obesity carries a social stigma," Stone tells WebMD. "But here is more evidence that it is a medical condition, not always a case of overindulgence."

In their study, Stone and colleagues focused on thousands of Utah families, all with two or more close relatives (siblings, parents, or children) who were more than 100 pounds overweight.

Through a complex process, the researchers discovered a region of the human DNA that contained highly significant evidence for a gene that predisposed to obesity, writes Stone in his report, published in the April 15 issue of the American Journal of Human Genetics.

In fact, the same gene may be linked with diabetes, too, he tells WebMD. Shortly after his discovery, another research group at Myriad "discovered" the same gene when investigating genetic causes of diabetes. The researchers think the gene may be involved in diabetes, but there is no evidence that it's a direct cause.

Curiously, the gene was strongly linked with women in the study group, Stone says. It could be that the gene may have an effect on men, but one that's simply weaker than in women.

Unfortunately, obesity is more complex than one little gene, Stone says. Coming up with that ultimate diet pill is going to take a lot more research.

HOB1 is a very significant contributor to the disease, but it's not the only gene involved, he tells WebMD. "Obviously, the goal of this work is to identify genes involved in predisposition then initiate a drug discovery. If you identify the genes involved, then you can try to modulate the activity with molecules as a way of treating the disease. That's our goal."

It's taken his group six years to isolate HOB1, he says. "The whole process can take 12 years on average, unless you get lucky."

For some perspective, WebMD turned to Aubrey Milunsky, MD, director of the human genetics center at Boston University School of Medicine.

Milunsky is author of the book Your Genetic Destiny: Know Your Genes, Secure Your Health, Save Your Life.

When news broke last year about the discovery of leptin (a protein directly linked with obesity), "it was a big finding, but it applied to 1% of people who were morbidly obese," Milunsky tells WebMD. "There was a lot of initial hype, but then we finally saw the reality that leptin accounts for obesity in the very occasional person, not the average overweight individual."

HOB1 could likely be the same scenario, he says. "It's been discovered in a very select set of families -- and particularly confined to females. That's kind of curious. It means there are other factors at work in concert with the gene."

The study of such complex disorders -- that result from the interaction of a handful of genes and some environmental factors -- is moving along at breakneck speed, Milunsky tells WebMD. "The general purpose [of this research] is undoubtedly financial."

Case in point: "If one was able to recognize at birth whether little Johnny was susceptible to high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, heart disease, and so on, there might be ... medications that could intercede and change all that. There could be medications taken once daily that would prevent them."

Don't look for that ultimate magic "obesity bullet" any time soon, Milunsky says. "The public in general is spending millions on diet books, methods for weight loss. But it's complex territory that is not going be solved easily. We're a long way from an 'obesity pill.' You can't suppress appetite in very simple ways until you know precisely what the trigger is."

In the meantime: "Watch your calories and exercise and don't spend money on diet books," says Milunsky.

© 2002 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-30-2002, 05:29 PM   #2
Affect
Fuck

Arrow

Yeah, how many fat people do you know that exercise and eat right?

Old 10-30-2002, 05:31 PM   #3
Samsa
Banned

i'm skinny and i don't especially eat or exercise right :-/ well i have a really squishy belly

LOL

Old 10-30-2002, 05:32 PM   #4
beef curtains
Immortal

Quote:
Originally posted by Affect
moi

Old 10-30-2002, 05:34 PM   #5
Samsa
Banned

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Samsa
i'm skinny and i don't especially eat or exercise right :-/ well i have a really squishy belly

LOL
i'm gonna get stomach cancer and die

i need to start doing sit-ups

Old 10-30-2002, 05:42 PM   #6
frail_and_bedazzled
Ownz

i eat right and i walk everywhere. i'm losing weight, but it's a pretty slow process. it takes a lot of vigilance; more than most people ever exert, i think.

Old 10-30-2002, 05:43 PM   #7
Sean Casey

Thumbs down

You two aren't fat, though.

Old 10-30-2002, 05:43 PM   #8
lawson
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Re: For all you assholes who claim being fat isn't genetic

Quote:
Originally posted by So very sad about me
When news broke last year about the discovery of leptin (a protein directly linked with obesity), "it was a big finding, but it applied to 1% of people who were morbidly obese," Milunsky tells WebMD. "There was a lot of initial hype, but then we finally saw the reality that leptin accounts for obesity in the very occasional person, not the average overweight individual."

HOB1 could likely be the same scenario, he says. "It's been discovered in a very select set of families -- and particularly confined to females. That's kind of curious. It means there are other factors at work in concert with the gene."

In the meantime: "Watch your calories and exercise and don't spend money on diet books," says Milunsky.
Fat people can help it

Old 10-30-2002, 05:46 PM   #9
lawson
Apocalyptic Poster

and please note: im not talking about those of you 50% over your recommended body weight. im talking about those people they make pay for a second plane ticket if the plane is full who are bitching about fat rights when they take up two damn seats

Old 10-30-2002, 05:58 PM   #10
Lie
Socialphobic

This finding could do as much harm as good unless people wake up and realize that being overweight, like everything, has various and multifaceted causes.

Old 10-30-2002, 06:03 PM   #11
Affect
Fuck

Arrow

Quote:

moi
But you aren't fat, silly girl.

Old 10-30-2002, 06:04 PM   #12
sawdust restaurants
Fucking Creep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Lie
This finding could do as much harm as good unless people wake up and realize that being overweight, like everything, has various and multifaceted causes.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Old 10-30-2002, 09:59 PM   #13
Why Am I So Ugly?
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by sawdust restaurants

You took the words right out of my mouth.
yeah i finally agree with the pompous bitch

Old 10-30-2002, 10:16 PM   #14
Best Looking Boy
Apocalyptic Poster

They should have just called it the HO gene. HOG.

Old 10-30-2002, 10:18 PM   #15
nothing matters

Angry

fucking fatasses need to get of there asses and fucking exercise!

Old 10-30-2002, 10:18 PM   #16
jared
Apocalyptic Poster

how many fat people came out of Auschwitz?

Old 10-31-2002, 12:01 AM   #17
the_boy
Pledge

Quote:
Originally posted by bittertrance
how many fat people came out of Auschwitz?
They were probably all killed right away. From what I've learned, the Nazis only wanted strong, fit men to do work in the camps.

Anyway, all this study really does is tell people that there might, possibly be a slight chance that they are obese because of this gene. There are a million other reasons why too (thyroid conditions, for example). Im not saying that obesity, in many cases, isnt genetic, becuase I believe it very well may be. But I dont think this discovery is going to really change anything other than it will probably encourage more funding for research into the subject which, in turn, will likely show that there are MANY genes involved and that people who overweight probably have a combination of these mutant genes. Either that, or they just eat too much and dont excercise enough.

Old 10-31-2002, 12:04 AM   #18
frail_and_bedazzled
Ownz

this thread is making me internalize my hate!

Old 10-31-2002, 12:12 AM   #19
noir cat
Socialphobic

Angry Re: For all you assholes who claim being fat isn't genetic

Quote:
But Magic Bullet Weight-Loss Pill Still Years Away
Like, as in TWO YEARS AWAY????

Old 10-31-2002, 12:15 AM   #20
kypper
Ownz

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Why Am I So Ugly?

yeah i finally agree with the pompous bitch
w0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

NARF.

Old 10-31-2002, 12:29 AM   #21
Elvis The Fat Years
007 373 5963

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Lie
you must be great in bed.

Old 10-31-2002, 06:09 AM   #22
scouse_dave
Minion of Satan

Arrow

perhaps there is a gene which causes people to put weight on more easily than others, but the fact remains...eating makes you fat not your genes

the german concentration camp example, whilst crass, remains a good one...

if you do find that you put on weight easier than your friends, say, you then just eat less than them...it's not rocket science here

food goes in...weight goes on

food doens't go in....weight doesn't go on

Old 10-31-2002, 07:43 AM   #23
Mr. Rhinoceros

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Affect
I don't know too many skinny people who excercise much less eat right.

Old 10-31-2002, 07:52 AM   #24
scouse_dave
Minion of Satan

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rhinoceros
I don't know too many skinny people who excercise much less eat right.
that's hardly the point tho...

Old 10-31-2002, 08:39 AM   #25
Mr. Rhinoceros

Quote:
Originally posted by scouse_dave
that's hardly the point tho...
It's not? I don't think it's very fair to treat fat people like garbage and tell us to stop eating when we're getting the same amount of excercise and eat the same fucking shit that everyone else eats.

Old 10-31-2002, 09:05 AM   #26
scouse_dave
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rhinoceros
It's not? I don't think it's very fair to treat fat people like garbage and tell us to stop eating when we're getting the same amount of excercise and eat the same fucking shit that everyone else eats.
who is say you're eating and exercising the 'same' as a so-called thin person...it's hard to quantify

it's POSSIBLE that this ficticious thin person is eating badly, and that you're eating worse

just like it's POSSIBLE that you're both eating the 'same' and he has 'better' genes or whatever

i mean, this isn't about you...or about being thin....i'm not suggesting that it's the be-all-and-end-all either way

however, if someone wants to be thin, and they find that their current intake of food/ exercise regime isn't shaping up they can either:

a) eat better
b) exercise more
c) stay as they are and be unhappy in their weight

i don't say that to be cruel, but that's how it is

personally, i think i have a problem the other way. i want to put a little bit of weight on and am finding it difficult. i know the solution tho...eat more food. if that doesn't work, i'll eat more still. my 'thin' genes won't stop me gaining weight if i eat like a pig.

Old 10-31-2002, 09:16 AM   #27
Mr. Rhinoceros

Quote:
Originally posted by scouse_dave
who is say you're eating and exercising the 'same' as a so-called thin person...it's hard to quantify

it's POSSIBLE that this ficticious thin person is eating badly, and that you're eating worse

just like it's POSSIBLE that you're both eating the 'same' and he has 'better' genes or whatever

i mean, this isn't about you...or about being thin....i'm not suggesting that it's the be-all-and-end-all either way

however, if someone wants to be thin, and they find that their current intake of food/ exercise regime isn't shaping up they can either:

a) eat better
b) exercise more
c) stay as they are and be unhappy in their weight

i don't say that to be cruel, but that's how it is

personally, i think i have a problem the other way. i want to put a little bit of weight on and am finding it difficult. i know the solution tho...eat more food. if that doesn't work, i'll eat more still. my 'thin' genes won't stop me gaining weight if i eat like a pig.
A lot of fat people do not eat like pigs. I often cannot finish the absurd portions resturaunts give me, I can usually get two meals out of the leftovers I take home. Yet, I routinely watch my thinner peers eat everything on the plate and then whine about being hungry an hour later. I frequently have nothing to eat at home, and if I do it's usually beans, ramen, or saltine crackers. I often have a hamburger at school, but I never can manage to eat the fries, so I don't bother with them. I walk at least a mile every day in my daily activity and I've started lifting weights. I still weigh 220 lbs. However, I have a friend of mine who eats nothing but burgers & fries and pizza and never excercises at all and he's 120. Genes? Yes.

I don't feel bad about being fat anymore because I've never been "thin" and I've never even been close to my "ideal weight" which I find impossble to even contimplate. However, I really wish people would stop being so venomous about fat people. The only reason fat people feel bad about themselves is because other people ridicule them, and that makes no fucking sense. I want to see you skinny fuckers go on a goddamn diet. It's not a whole lot of fun to eat nothing but rice cakes and bland sandwiches.

Last edited by Mr. Rhinoceros : 10-31-2002 at 09:20 AM.

Old 10-31-2002, 09:34 AM   #28
scouse_dave
Minion of Satan

Arrow

i never said, or insinuated, that fat people eat like pigs...

you have my sympathy if what you say is true...wrt you not eating a lot and still maintaining a big frame

but as for comparing your eating to some 'thinner guys' or whatever...i'd suggest that you probably don't know the full picture. who's to say how they live their life when they're not in that restaurant or with you?

let's take me as an example. when i go to an all-you-can-eat place i will wipe the floor with anyone in there. i have a LARGE appetite. i will eat plate after plate until i physically can't eat any more (which i typically regret but no matter). people are generally amazed when they see how much i can eat and still stay really thin (i'm 6'4" and weigh 170-180 pounds)

HOWEVER, i skip meals regularly and find myself going hungry a lot of the time. i do this out of sheer laziness...half the time i simply can't be bothered to get up and cook myself some food. plus, i sleep a lot (sometimes 14-16 hours a day), so i have a lot of catching up to do when i AM awake...

chances are, if you saw me in a restaurant, you'd think to yourself "why isn't he fat?"

Old 10-31-2002, 12:53 PM   #29
jared
Apocalyptic Poster

it's called metabolism

Old 10-31-2002, 12:55 PM   #30
scouse_dave
Minion of Satan

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by bittertrance
it's called metabolism
thanks for your input...