Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
YA5H
Demi-God

Default Nightmare Before Christmas

i found this on some random board. but i've always thought the same thing.

The Nightmare Before Christmas directly parallels the experiences of the lead singer of the band, The Smashing Pumpkins, during the recording of their double album, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

There is a bullet that flies between the wings of a kid who uses them to walk with. This alludes to "Bullet with Butterfly Wings," a popular song from the "Pink CD", Dawn to Dusk. The making of rat hats is part of Jack's song, "Making Christmas." Rat is the keyword in the chorus to "Bullet with Butterfly Wings," yet another reference to this popular song. Zero is the name of Jack's ghost dog; it is also the name of a song on Dawn to Dusk. For the Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness Tour, Billy used duct tape to decorate a plain black t-shirt with a big silver star and "Zero." The two of the popular songs from Dawn to Dusk were alluded to in the movie.

There are a plethora of spiders, rats, and worms (Christmas stocking) in the movie. Besides recording for the double album, Billy Corgan was working on soundtracks for the movie, Ransom. The soundtrack was released a year afterward. These songs were titled, "Rats," "Spiders," "Worms," etc. This could be another allusion to songs by Billy Corgan and co.

Jack and Billy Corgan, the lead singer of The Smashing Pumpkins, are both in a state of ennui. Jack sings about it: "Oh somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there far from my home, a longing that, I've never known..." - "Jack's Lament", soundtrack. Billy sings about it: "Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage. Someone will say what is lost can never be saved." - "Bullet with Butterfly Wings", Dawn to Dusk. "Boredom's in the bathroom shaking out the loose teeth... And nobody no where understands anything, about me, and all my dreams, lost at sea." - "Stumbleine," Twilight to Starlight ("Blue CD")

Another thing Jack and Billy share are physical attributes. Jack is excessively tall in comparison to the rest of the characters in the movie. When Billy was a child, his peers were intimidated by his height. They are both lanky, with long limbs and a skinny appearance. And they are both bald. Billy started shaving his head during the recording of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. Not only do Jack and Billy feel ennui, they look similar.

Jack and Billy both try experimenting with something new. Jack tries to operate Christmas instead of Halloween. Things go awry, and then Jack decides he is better, happier doing Halloween, claiming he has some great new ideas. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness was the indicator of The Smashing Pumpkins' new sound. They changed from alternative rockindie to electronica sounds (Adore, and MACHINAThe Machines of God). Their last album under Virgin Records was MACHINA. Since then, they've made and independent album, MACHINA II, and they are coming out with a comic about a messenger, Glass, sent to save Rock 'n' Roll (Glass and the Machines of God). Jack and Billy try something new, but decide to go back to being themselves; Jack going back to being the Pumpkin King, Billy going back to Rock. Jack gets the girl; and so does Billy.

After all the raucous, Jack realizes his need for a companion and falls in love with Sally. Billy Corgan married some woman around the time of recording. Not much is known other than that since he prefers to keep his love life private. Jack and Billy share the same ups and downs of love.

The character, Jack symbolizes Billy. Both Jack and Billy go through a big mishap. Jack becomes distraught when he finds the toys create havoc. Billy became frustrated when Virgin Records pressed them for not producing enough albums as promised in the contract. Both problems end in resolve. Jack saves Santa Claus and sets things right. Billy and co. produce three albums for Virgin Records, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, Adore, and MACHINA The Machines of God. They also released a box set of B-Sides through Virgin Records called The Aeroplane Flies High. With the evidence provided, it is quite clear that Jack represents Billy Corgan.

The characters Shock, Lock, and Barrel closely resemble D'arcy, James, and Jimmy. The fact that Shock and rhyme show there is a relationship between the two names, just as there was a relationship between D'arcy and James. Shock, Lock, and Barrel often bicker. This seems to happen between D'arcy, James, and Jimmy, too. The Smashing Pumpkins make fun of their bickering in their sarcastic video, Vieuphoria, during a band counseling session. After the recording of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, they officially announced that they would be disbanding. Many fans speculate this was due to the constant conflict between band members.

Let it be known that Billy was the leader for the band. He wrote the majority of their original music, he showed leadership during interviews, he was the one who organized the band. Jack is the Pumpkin King, he is the leader of the town, and even the Mayor depends on Jack. This alludes to the fact that JackBilly are the leader of their groups. The fact that Shock, Lock, and Barrel are Jack's minions further supports this theory.

As you can see, there are several allusions made to songs produced by The Smashing Pumpkins and by Billy Corgan. Jack Skellington is obviously Billy Corgan. Sally is Billy's wife. Shock, Lock, and Barrel are D'arcy, James, and Jimmy, respectively. The ups and downs of love, trying new things, turmoil and resolve, and rediscovering oneself are shared experiences of Jack and Billy. It is apparent that the experiences of Jack Skellington directly correlate to those of Billy Corgan during the recording of the double album, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Nah, dude

Old 05-25-2007, 04:58 PM   #3
Travis Meeks
Rambling on

hey lee, what'd he say up there?

Old 05-25-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Meeks
hey lee, what'd he say up there?
Maybe it would be quicker to list what he didn't say

Old 05-25-2007, 05:05 PM   #5
Screwjack
Gonzo

Whoever wrote this has too much time on his hands....and is a dumbshit.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:11 PM   #6
Fathoms (unadored)
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah, He forgot about how Nightmare Before Christmas and Mellon Collie use the same fonts... Oh, and Billy branched out and made a christmas song too.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:13 PM   #7
yoshinobu's revenge
Apocalyptic Poster

tl;dr

Old 05-25-2007, 05:14 PM   #8
YA5H
Demi-God

i know most of it is prob bs. but jack is def a cartoon lookalike of billy. and his dog being names zero also the fact that he's the pumpkin king!!! the movie was at least some in some way influenced by the smashing pumpkins

Old 05-25-2007, 05:17 PM   #9
thurston
Demi-God

thats what they want you to think...

Old 05-25-2007, 05:17 PM   #10
silverfrick
Demi-God

Friend, the movie was released in 93' before MCIS even came out.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:20 PM   #11
Kilredstar30
Pledge

This thread is GAY!! Someone might punch my doughnut if I stay here any longer.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:43 PM   #12
virtualpumpkin
Oblivious Virgin

" Hi, I'm into emo. I shop @ hottopics to buy NBXmas/Corpsebride t-shirts. Those are my favorite movies! I just discovered the Pumpkins. "

I understand the urge to merge all that you're into and make some kind of correlation. But you should probably go to some fanfic website for such darkly indulgence.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:06 PM   #13
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Darkly indulgence?

Old 05-25-2007, 06:37 PM   #14
BlissedandGone2
Minion of Satan

Location: You don't play guitar hero if you are a guitar hero.

i invented this theory, fuck you.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:58 PM   #15
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

this movie came out in 1993 you dicks

Last edited by wHATcOLOR : 05-25-2007 at 07:24 PM.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:18 PM   #16
wHATcOLOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by YA5H
There is a bullet that flies between the wings of a kid who uses them to walk with. This alludes to "Bullet with Butterfly Wings," a popular song from the "Pink CD", Dawn to Dusk..
no it doesn't

Quote:
The making of rat hats is part of Jack's song, "Making Christmas." Rat is the keyword in the chorus to "Bullet with Butterfly Wings," yet another reference to this popular song..
nope

Quote:
Zero is the name of Jack's ghost dog; it is also the name of a song on Dawn to Dusk. For the Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness Tour, Billy used duct tape to decorate a plain black t-shirt with a big silver star and "Zero." The two of the popular songs from Dawn to Dusk were alluded to in the movie. .
no they absolutely were not

Quote:
There are a plethora of spiders, rats, and worms (Christmas stocking) in the movie. Besides recording for the double album, Billy Corgan was working on soundtracks for the movie, Ransom. The soundtrack was released a year afterward. These songs were titled, "Rats," "Spiders," "Worms," etc. This could be another allusion to songs by Billy Corgan and co..
no, actually, it couldn't

Quote:
Jack and Billy both try experimenting with something new. Jack tries to operate Christmas instead of Halloween. Things go awry, and then Jack decides he is better, happier doing Halloween, claiming he has some great new ideas. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness was the indicator of The Smashing Pumpkins' new sound.
no, it wasn't. they said things along the lines of it was them wrapping up their dealings with guitars, bass, drums, and vocals alternative rock sound that they helped invent. nevermind that it came out 2 years after the movie

Quote:
They changed from alternative rockindie to electronica sounds (Adore, and MACHINAThe Machines of God). Their last album under Virgin Records was MACHINA. Since then, they've made and independent album, MACHINA II, and they are coming out with a comic about a messenger, Glass, sent to save Rock 'n' Roll (Glass and the Machines of God). Jack and Billy try something new, but decide to go back to being themselves; Jack going back to being the Pumpkin King, Billy going back to Rock. Jack gets the girl; and so does Billy.
machina now? good lord

Quote:
After all the raucous, Jack realizes his need for a companion and falls in love with Sally. Billy Corgan married some woman around the time of recording.
factually inaccurate and entirely irrelevant

Quote:
The character, Jack symbolizes Billy. Both Jack and Billy go through a big mishap. Jack becomes distraught when he finds the toys create havoc. Billy became frustrated when Virgin Records pressed them for not producing enough albums as promised in the contract.
pretty sure this wasn't part of the dynamic in 1993

Quote:
Both problems end in resolve. Jack saves Santa Claus and sets things right. Billy and co. produce three albums for Virgin Records, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, Adore, and MACHINA The Machines of God. They also released a box set of B-Sides through Virgin Records called The Aeroplane Flies High. With the evidence provided, it is quite clear that Jack represents Billy Corgan.
with the evidence provided, the only thing that's clear is that whoever wrote this is a god damn idiot

Quote:
The characters Shock, Lock, and Barrel closely resemble D'arcy, James, and Jimmy. The fact that Shock and rhyme show there is a relationship between the two names, just as there was a relationship between D'arcy and James. Shock, Lock, and Barrel often bicker. This seems to happen between D'arcy, James, and Jimmy, too. The Smashing Pumpkins make fun of their bickering in their sarcastic video, Vieuphoria, during a band counseling session. After the recording of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, they officially announced that they would be disbanding.
did they? really? and again, entirely irrelevant

Quote:
As you can see, there are several allusions made to songs produced by The Smashing Pumpkins and by Billy Corgan.
no.

Quote:
Jack Skellington is obviously Billy Corgan.
no.

Quote:
Sally is Billy's wife.
no she isn't

Quote:
Shock, Lock, and Barrel are D'arcy, James, and Jimmy, respectively.
no they aren't

Quote:
The ups and downs of love, trying new things, turmoil and resolve, and rediscovering oneself are shared experiences of Jack and Billy.
and just about everyone else with a pulse

Quote:
It is apparent that the experiences of Jack Skellington directly correlate to those of Billy Corgan during the recording of the double album, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.
absolutely not

Old 05-25-2007, 07:20 PM   #17
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR
pretty sure this wasn't part of the dynamic in 1993
That was one of the best parts!

Old 05-25-2007, 07:23 PM   #18
exactlythesame
Minion of Satan

Location: I thought what I'd do is I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes

wHAT cOLOR rocks.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:27 PM   #19
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Quote:
Originally Posted by exactlythesame
wHAT cOLOR rocks.
Burnt sienna

Old 05-25-2007, 07:30 PM   #20
wHATcOLOR

i've always been a big fan of crayola's cornflower blue, it looks so nice on white paper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._crayon_colors

Old 05-25-2007, 07:30 PM   #21
Boycott Graceland
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviousJ
Burnt sienna
tHAT cOLOR sucks

Old 05-25-2007, 07:52 PM   #22
Nickzilla
Pledge

You bastard, I thought this would be about the Pumpkins playing the ATP festival in the UK during the Winter called Nightmare Before Christmas.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:53 PM   #23
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Magic Mint looks pretty tasty

Old 05-25-2007, 07:56 PM   #24
wHATcOLOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviousJ
Magic Mint looks pretty tasty

not bad, not bad

Old 05-25-2007, 08:05 PM   #25
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Purple Mountain's Majesty

They sell these things to children?