Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #121
samuel redman
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: You're 22 why aren't you free?You're 22 why aren't you free? you're mom and daddy's victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
also where are all the recent popular rap tunes that are about shooting people? you guys make it seem like every rap or hip hop song is about random acts of violence. that's simply untrue.
this is wayyy beyond the point here. come on you dolt

Old 08-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #122
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
it means you're an idiot for blaming gang violence in ghettos on rap music.
But you'd be just as much of an idiot for not seeing that a lot of rap music champions that sort of behavior. Snake-eating-tail.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #123
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel redman View Post
rap, lack of an education and the lack of a strong figure in a persons life.
lol and if you were to break it down into percentages, how much would you attribute to "rap?"

Old 08-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #124
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Please tell me what genres of music you listen to that lack references to drugs or a promotion of "shallow values."

i'm waiting, slunken

Old 08-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #125
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

What redman is saying is that rap is perpetuating a negative stereotype that kids eat up and think "Yeah, this is how I should act."

Old 08-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #126
samuel redman
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: You're 22 why aren't you free?You're 22 why aren't you free? you're mom and daddy's victory

Quote:
lol and if you were to break it down into percentages, how much would you attribute to "rap?"
oh boy. there's a deep underlining problem here, and rap only makes it worse.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #127
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
But you'd be just as much of an idiot for not seeing that a lot of rap music champions that sort of behavior. Snake-eating-tail.
back to my initial point, that lots of music in every genre promotes bad behavior. why does rap get discounted more than the others?

Old 08-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #128
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
What redman is saying is that rap is perpetuating a negative stereotype that kids eat up and think "Yeah, this is how I should act."
And what I'm saying is that yes Hannah Montana is just as guilty of this but one is inherently more dangerous than the other.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:46 PM   #129
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

The real question Eulogy, why are you so sensitive about this?

Old 08-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #130
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Please tell me what genres of music you listen to that lack references to drugs or a promotion of "shallow values."
Quote:
i'm waiting, slunken
I didn't think you were serious. Really don't feel like getting into a pissing contest based on "what I listen to is much better than what you listen to".

Old 08-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #131
samuel redman
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I didn't think you were serious. Really don't feel like getting into a pissing contest based on "what I listen to is much better than what you listen to".
isn't this how people assume things work anyways?

Old 08-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #132
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
it's entirely relevant here. you're dismissing an entire genre of music based on the fact that some people in said genre "promote shallow values." if that's your litmus test, I'm genuinely curious as to what genres are deemed acceptable by you.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #133
samuel redman
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
it's entirely relevant here. you're dismissing an entire genre of music based on the fact that some people in said genre "promote shallow values." if that's your litmus test, I'm genuinely curious as to what genres are deemed acceptable by you.
he explained this in the hannah montana point

Old 08-30-2010, 04:50 PM   #134
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
The real question Eulogy, why are you so sensitive about this?
About white guys claiming that rap music is to blame for inner city violence in minority populations?

I dunno, because I'm not an asshole?

I mean is there any consideration given to the idea that maybe rap music arose out of the environment instead of the other way around like you're asserting?

Old 08-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #135
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
he explained this in the hannah montana point
it's disingenuous to use her as an example. i can just as easily throw out will smith as my example for the genre of rap. see it's totally harmless! he just likes partying in miami!

Old 08-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #136
samuel redman
Apocalyptic Poster

what?

Old 08-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #137
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
About white guys claiming that rap music is to blame for inner city violence in minority populations?

I mean is there any consideration given to the idea that maybe rap music arose out of the environment instead of the other way around like you're asserting?
A) What do you even know about inner-city violence? Because let me tell you, I know exactly how their minds work. And this mainstream rap reinforces the ethos that is created from their upbringing.

B) Actually, I DID say rap music is a product of this environment. Go back and re-read my post.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #138
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
I gotcha - but I'm not only talking about "promoting shallow values". If this were the only issue at hand then American Idol is just as guilty. It's the drugs and violence (an illegal lifestyle) lumped on top of all that that really gets to me.

And like I said early on - I am fully aware that I'm blanketing the entire genre based on the bad apples but I honestly believe that the bad strongly outweighs the good therefore it's my right to dismiss it all.

I'm not trying to convert anyone to Christianity here.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #139
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
A) What do you even know about inner-city violence? Because let me tell you, I know exactly how their minds work. And this mainstream rap reinforces the ethos that is created from their upbringing.

B) Actually, I DID say rap music is a product of this environment. Go back and re-read my post.
I don't really know what you're trying to get at with A, but as for B, that comment was meant more for the other two.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #140
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
I gotcha - but I'm not only talking about "promoting shallow values". If this were the only issue at hand then American Idol is just as guilty. It's the drugs and violence (an illegal lifestyle) lumped on top of all that that really gets to me.

And like I said early on - I am fully aware that I'm blanketing the entire genre based on the bad apples but I honestly believe that the bad strongly outweighs the good therefore it's my right to dismiss it all.

I'm not trying to convert anyone to Christianity here.
why can't you give me an example of a genre where the bad doesn't outweigh the good?

country western, maybe? they talk a lot about alcohol in those though so i dunno. jazz?

Old 08-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #141
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
also this reminds me of tom cruise and the whole "i know the history of psychiatry" thing. you've cornered the market on what causes inner city violence? congrats, bro. there's a lot of ethnographers and sociologists who probably want to hear from you.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #142
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I don't really know what you're trying to get at with A, but as for B, that comment was meant more for the other two.
http://forums.netphoria.org/wwwboard/confused.gif This thread is getting too confusing...

Old 08-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #143
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
also this reminds me of tom cruise and the whole "i know the history of psychiatry" thing. you've cornered the market on what causes inner city violence? congrats, bro. there's a lot of ethnographers and sociologists who probably want to hear from you.
If only you knew.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #144
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
why can't you give me an example of a genre where the bad doesn't outweigh the good?

country western, maybe? they talk a lot about alcohol in those though so i dunno. jazz?
Surf.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #145
samuel redman
Apocalyptic Poster

eulogy is just another reason the worlds falling to shit

Old 08-30-2010, 05:04 PM   #146
slunken
Virgo

Smile

Quote:

Kind of funny you mention those cos I have been listening to quite a bit of 30s Western Swing lately, which is (if you don't know) jazz and country/western combined.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #147
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
eulogy is just another reason the worlds falling to shit
ok samuel redman

Old 08-30-2010, 05:06 PM   #148
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Kind of funny you mention those cos I have been listening to quite a bit of 30s Western Swing lately, which is (if you don't know) jazz and country/western combined.
now was that so difficult

Old 08-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #149
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:

Hey, have you realized the irony yet, that we're posting this shit in a thread about... The Suburbs?

Old 08-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #150
slunken
Virgo

The real irony, for me, is that I listen to a lot of pre-war country blues and I was thinking the other day: "What separates this from rap music being made nowadays?"

I couldn't really find an answer