Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2008, 10:22 PM   #181
D.
Consume my pants.

from Junipertots: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y9WD9BYX

Track 01 - Didn't like it that much. It was OK, but nothing I would listen to again.
Track 02 - Tagged as Iron and Wine. I'm a slightly aware of their output, but I did not like most of this song.
Track 03 - Really like this one. Has a nice 80's vibe to it; reminds me a little bit of Genesis' "darker" pop songs.
Track 04 - Song is definitely good; I like the vibe of it. Some parts are eh, but I'd listen to it again. Flows well with track 3.
Track 05 - Tagged as Pink Floyd. Never have heard this song, though, but it's excellent.
Track 06 - Wanted to like, but ended up not.
Track 07 - Tagged as the Spinto Band. It was OK, might check them out more.

Track 08 - Tagged as the Flaming Lips. Kinda familiar with them, but I don't remember having heard this. I like it, though. Definitely flows well with Track 7.

Track 09 - Nice song, but too background-y.
Track 10 - Didn't care too much for this, don't like the dude's voice.

Track 11 - Guessing this is Radiohead...Don't know this song, but I really like it. I like his voice. Is this an Amnesiac B-Side? It strikes me as possible. "I want to eat your artichoke heart"? AWESOME.

Track 12 - Tagged as The Good, the Bad, the Queen. I'm not huge on the dude's voice.
Track 13 - Labeled as Four Tet. I really like this; I've gotten into this type of music in the last year or so, so I will for sure check them out.

Track 14 - YAY! "Blackbird"! I feel really dumb asking this, but maybe it could be that I haven't heard it in a while or the possibility of being an alternate take. Is this a cover?

Track 15 - Labeled as Beach Boys. ahaha, awesome, "Wouldn't It Ne Nice"! I'm more of a fan of their "weirder", un-poppy songs but I do like this one.

Track 16 - Short and sweet; kinda sounded like an early U2 demo or something for some of the song. Haha.
Track 17 - Another short song - sometimes those are the best. I like this.

Track 18 - Third short song. Sounds like a baby radio, all twinkly and piano-y. Nice, but wouldn't have a reason to listen to it again. probably makes a good segeue into whatever albums it's on.

Track 19 - Tagged as Zero 7. Halfway through the short song stretch. This is a simple song, but I like it. Would listen again, but the dude doesn't seem to have a voice I could listen to for a whole album. Which was true when I heard one of their albums.

Track 20 - Cover of "You Are My Sunshine"; ultimately disposable.
Track 21 - Labeled as Keiichi Suzuki. Sounds interesting, is all their music like this?

Track 22 - Labeled as Trail of Dead. I don't really care for them (though they were good in concert 6 years ago). This is different from what I have heard from them, but still don't really like it.

Track 23 - Labeled as Rothko. Sounds like a decent enough singer, but a bit on the forgettable side.

Track 24 - I LOVE THIS SONG!!! IT'S "GREAT ESCAPE" BY MOBY AND AZURE RAY. I used to be so friggin' in love with this song. I have listened to it probably 100+ times since I first heard it 5 years ago. <3 <3

Track 25 - Labeled as Portishead. I don't know how I feel about them, but this song isn't swaying me to the positive side of that dilemma.
Track 26 - Labeled as Modest Mouse. What album is this from? Short and sweet, but I like it! Is this from that Sad Sappy Sucker thing?
Track 27 - Haha, dunno what this 0:16 clip is and I have no idea how to feel about it.

Overall, it flowed pretty well, I just wasn't a fan of most of it. Thank you for the effort, though, it seems like a lot of thought was put into this because of the way it flowed. Points for the Pink Floyd and Radiohead, Extra points for introducing me to Four Tet and Bonus Points for the Moby/Azure Ray song.

Last edited by D. : 04-20-2008 at 10:34 PM.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:59 PM   #182
junipertots
Pledge

01 Cinelli - Found My
02 Iron & Wine - Wolves (Song of the Shepherd's Dog)
03 Peter Gabriel - Red Rain
04 Brian Wilson - Surf's Up
05 Pink Floyd - Poles Apart
06 David Bowie feat. Maynard James Keenan & John Frusciante - Bring Me the Disco King (Loner Mix)
07 The Spinto Band - Oh Mandy
08 The Flaming Lips - Pompeii Am Gotterdammerung
09 Brian Eno - How Many Worlds
10 I Monster - Who is She?
11 Thom Yorke - Atoms for Peace
12 The Good, the Bad and the Queen - Behind the Sun
13 Fourtet - My Angel Rocks Back and Forth
14 The Beatles - Blackbird
15 The Beach Boys - Wouldn't it Be Nice
16 U2 - The Ocean
17 Renholder - Now I Know
18 J Saunders - Tinkle
19 Zero 7 - Left Behind
20 Brian Wilson - Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine
21 Keiichi Suzuki - Moonside
22 ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - After the Laughter
23 Rothko - Words Melt Away
24 Moby & Azure ray - Great Escape
25 Portishead - Deep Water
26 Modest Mouse - Interlude (Milo)
27 Junipertots - Dust Bunny

I liked that you did a song by song review. I uploaded this album with tagged tracks but lost the upload link when I sent it to PBE. She has one though, so i will get that from her so everyone can have a tagged copy if they wish to download it.

edit: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WUAO2G75
here is the link to my mix with TAGGED tracks

Last edited by junipertots : 04-21-2008 at 08:35 PM.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #183
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junipertots View Post
03 Peter Gabriel - Red Rain
haha, i had a feeling even though i have heard limited solo stuff of his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junipertots
27 Junipertots - Dust Bunny
i also had a feeling this was a band you might have played in, but i wasn't sure if you were in a band.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:06 PM   #184
junipertots
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
haha, i had a feeling even though i have heard limited solo stuff of his.

i also had a feeling this was a band you might have played in, but i wasn't sure if you were in a band.

actually, i have no musical training and don't have a band. i was home alone one night and that is what came about. it's been around a year or so and i just thought i'd throw it on there... i wanted to close the mix with a sense of confusion rather than resolution.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:10 PM   #185
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
actually, i have no musical training and don't have a band. i was home alone one night and that is what came about. it's been around a year or so and i just thought i'd throw it on there... i wanted to close the mix with a sense of confusion rather than resolution.
lol

Old 04-21-2008, 09:09 AM   #186
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Quote:
I liked that you did a song by song review. I uploaded this album with tagged tracks but lost the upload link when I sent it to PBE. She has one though, so i will get that from her so everyone can have a tagged copy if they wish to download it.
Since I just read your PM not too long ago, I'll just post the link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WUAO2G75

Old 04-21-2008, 12:42 PM   #187
D.
Consume my pants.

just got done making the final selections and am upping my mix now. just wanted to say that this is a really good idea and we should do it more often.

it was really hard to cut it down to under 100mb.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #188
mxzombie
Braindead

Location: i like traffic lights, but only when they're green.

Quote:
we should do it more often.
seconded

Old 04-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #189
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

I know I said earlier that the deadline is on or before May 1st but if you those of you who still need to make theirs could try to get it in by April 30th then that would be great. It ends up I will be traveling on May 1st and would not want somebody to have to wait until the following week to get their mix link forwarded to them. I will probably check email and shit sporadically but I would really appreciate it if I didn't have to.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:20 PM   #190
smashingpumpkin
Apocalyptic Poster

i really liked my mix. i recognized very few songs, just one by the smiths, billy. ill write a bit.

track 1 is sick. instrumental rock. reminds of es post humus, the techno rock, without the strings. actually i feel like playing quake after this. good opener.

track 2. very nice. jc complex-ish but heavier vocals.

track 3. yeah! this one is absolutely fantastic. lyrics, melodies. id be interested in hearing more from this band.

track 4. thanks for putting in odder shit not just rock. french ? this gives me a noir feeling/setting.

track 5. cool. lets dance in a forest.

track 6. i like how you put this harder one after 2 songs of girls singing. this ones alright, i mostly like the guitar sounds.

track 7. donnie darko shit. pretty cool 80's track.

track 8. smiths. not bad.

track 9. this is some punk some i dn. didnt really like it. the pre-chorus is pretty cool tho.

track 10. chillin.

track 11. interesting, 1 minute long but its telling me to move on and get under the sun. i kinda wish it were a full length.

track 12. short punky song. catchy chorus i wouldnt mind this in the car.

track 13. yeah id like to hear more from these.

track 14. organ drones yay... just in time for 4/20.

track 15 soft guitar/piano ballad with this dist. guitar lead on top of most of it doing some nice solo stuff. this one is great.

track 16. i know its sabbath. this is a fun track.

track 17. heads will roll. wicked.

track 18. brings me back. sound garden.

track 19. very cool.

track 20. starts really dreamy then i love how it goes fucken ballistic at the end.

track 21. this is ok. would be better if a band kicked in.

track 22. pulcezar. haha good pick to close. nothing more familiar than that voice.

5 stars

Old 04-21-2008, 01:28 PM   #191
Deadeyes
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingpumpkin View Post
i really liked my mix. i recognized very few songs, just one by the smiths, billy. ill write a bit.

track 1 is sick. instrumental rock. reminds of es post humus, the techno rock, without the strings. actually i feel like playing quake after this. good opener.

track 2. very nice. jc complex-ish but heavier vocals.

track 3. yeah! this one is absolutely fantastic. lyrics, melodies. id be interested in hearing more from this band.

track 4. thanks for putting in odder shit not just rock. french ? this gives me a noir feeling/setting.

track 5. cool. lets dance in a forest.

track 6. i like how you put this harder one after 2 songs of girls singing. this ones alright, i mostly like the guitar sounds.

track 7. donnie darko shit. pretty cool 80's track.

track 8. smiths. not bad.

track 9. this is some punk some i dn. didnt really like it. the pre-chorus is pretty cool tho.

track 10. chillin.

track 11. interesting, 1 minute long but its telling me to move on and get under the sun. i kinda wish it were a full length.

track 12. short punky song. catchy chorus i wouldnt mind this in the car.

track 13. yeah id like to hear more from these.

track 14. organ drones yay... just in time for 4/20.

track 15 soft guitar/piano ballad with this dist. guitar lead on top of most of it doing some nice solo stuff. this one is great.

track 16. i know its sabbath. this is a fun track.

track 17. heads will roll. wicked.

track 18. brings me back. sound garden.

track 19. very cool.

track 20. starts really dreamy then i love how it goes fucken ballistic at the end.

track 21. this is ok. would be better if a band kicked in.

track 22. pulcezar. haha good pick to close. nothing more familiar than that voice.

5 stars
Fuck the last 2 songs were in the wrong order!

Old 04-21-2008, 01:29 PM   #192
smashingpumpkin
Apocalyptic Poster

haha. the files were labeled in the right order but then the labels in winamp had them reversed (track 23 was track 22 and track 22 was track 23) so i put them how the labels were thinkgin that was the right way... ah well. thanks for the mix. do you have the playlist? mine is bunk now because of the .wma issue.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:39 PM   #193
Deadeyes
Apocalyptic Poster

Thanks for the review smashingpumpkin, glad you digged it.

1. Vex Red - Cause And Solution
2. My Vitriol - Safety Zones And Crumple Zones
3. Aereogramme - Black Path
4. Art Of Noise - La Flute De Pan
5. Suzanne Vega - Undertow
6. Quicksand - Too Official
7. The Chameleons - Up The Down Escalator
8. The Smiths - Heaven Knows Im Miserable Now
9. Killing Joke - Chop Chop
10. My Bloody Valentine - All I Need
11. Mercury Rev - Moving On
12. Rival Schools - High Acetate
13. Biffy Clyro - Ideal Height
14. Radiohead - Treefingers
15. Thin Lizzy - Sarah [Version 2]
16. Black Sabbath - Spiral Architect
17. Echo And The Bunnymen - Heads Will Roll
18. Soundgarden - Switch Opens
19. Eels - Going To Your Funeral Part 1
20. Asobi Seksu - Exotic Animal Paradise
21. Smashing Pumpkins - Pulzecsar
22. Aereogramme - Descending

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6wxx4l

Last edited by Deadeyes : 04-21-2008 at 03:13 PM.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:58 PM   #194
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

Quote:
we should do it more often.
yeah i want in on round 2.

disclaimer: nobody will ever like what i submit.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:03 PM   #195
D.
Consume my pants.

i porbably would.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:04 PM   #196
unacceptable
Pledge

what does ravenguy listen to other than alt country and singer songwriters and melancholic folk music

Old 04-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #197
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

that and grindcore

Old 04-21-2008, 02:39 PM   #198
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenguy2000 View Post
yeah i want in on round 2.

disclaimer: nobody will ever like what i submit.
I would. You're actually one of the people I hoped would participate in it.

Way to let me down, assface.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:19 PM   #199
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

i think mine is from D. im going to listen straight through and give my observation as it plays

track 1- awesome opener for the mix. starts off pretty simple, builds up in volume then dies down gracefully. short and sweet
track 2- brian wilson would be proud. dig it
track 3- corrupt file
track 4- band of horses is it? this song is pretty if not repetative. not my thing but i dont hate it
track 5- okkervil river. gotta love austin bands. i dig it. hey wait... im from austin.. arent you from kansas city, D? coincidence? I THINK NOT. i like this song a lot
track 6- this sounds really familiar, but i cant place why. sounds like another beach boys song. or something that i sang when i was in kindergarten. dig it again
track 7- is this mates of state? the first time i heard them i was stoned out of my mind in paris on tour with dexter freebish. somebody we were touring with was obsessed with this band. this makes me wish i was high right now. total mind fuck with the split vox. arent they from kansas, too?
track 8- cool song for the most part. i dont like the vox at all. they remind me of blink 182 for some reason, but less sucky. i think these guys were on speed when they mixed this song. its all over the place. i would like to hear a lossless version just to hear what those chimes sound like. i can dig it
track 9- im not a big white strips fan, though i can appreciate them. i hate the cher autotune trick.
track 10- genesis? sounds different than i remember, maybe is the mp3. not a fan of there's, but this is a trippy song.
track 11- haha c&c! rawk
track 12- this song would be killer for some final fantasy credits. doesn't really take me anywhere and is kind of generic but i like it
track 13- blah. repetative, sappy. it made me want to listen to genesis again. generic
track 14- cool track. more interesting than the last track.
track 15- broken afternoon is a cool track. one of my friends digs these guys. sounds like a mix of don mclean and rodney crowell. i'll dig it more when i'm in the right mood.
track 16- very cool version of this old song. reminds me of stuff my parents played to me when i was a kid.
track 17- is this helio sequence again? sounds familiar. this time they sound like tom waits

good mix. definitely more mood music to me, but there isnt anything on here that i won't listen to again. the flow got a little stagnant towards the end. some of the songs kind of sounded the same which made for long periods without change.

nice job

dig it

Last edited by SlingeroGuitaro : 04-21-2008 at 07:20 PM.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #200
Floppy Nono
Socialphobic

Quote:
just got done making the final selections and am upping my mix now. just wanted to say that this is a really good idea and we should do it more often.

it was really hard to cut it down to under 100mb.
wait...we're doing a mb limit? i thought it was for what would fit on a cd, time wise?

Old 04-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #201
bja1288
Apocalyptic Poster

im pretty sure it was just 80min

Old 04-21-2008, 07:01 PM   #202
Floppy Nono
Socialphobic

that's what i thought too, but i have a mix that fits on a cd and is going above 100mb (not quite finished) so i thought it best to make sure

Old 04-21-2008, 07:16 PM   #203
smashingpumpkin
Apocalyptic Poster

hes prob using mediafire which is the one i think that has 100mb max upload.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:23 PM   #204
D.
Consume my pants.

my mix was:

01. The Gifted Children - The Last of the Surface Tourists
02. Baby Birds Don't Drink Milk - 3
03. Jenny Hoylston and William Whitmore - The First of a Thousand Beasts
04. Band of Horses - Marry Song
05. Okervvil River - Kansas City
06. Animal Collective - Derek
07. Mates of State - Punchlines
08. Cloud Cult - Take Your Medicine
09. White Stripes - You're Pretty Good Looking For A Girl (Trendy American Remix)
10. Genesis - The Lady Lies
11. Coheed and Cambria - The Road and the Damned
12. Bluescreen - Blue
13. Airiel - Kiss Me Sadly
14. Panda Riot - Olivia On the Downbeat
15. Helio Sequence - Broken Afternoon
16. Secret Machines - Girl From the North Country (Bob Dylan cover)
17. Helio Sequence - No Regrets

it really sucks that #3 didn't work. it's a beautiful song, but i've always had problems with it from time to time.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #205
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

Quote:
16. Secret Machines - Girl From the North Country (Bob Dylan cover)
i knew it was the secret machines! i put a song of theres on my mix

edit: dammit i didnt afterall. i meant to, too

Last edited by SlingeroGuitaro : 04-21-2008 at 07:39 PM.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:45 PM   #206
Floppy Nono
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingpumpkin View Post
hes prob using mediafire which is the one i think that has 100mb max upload.
ahh, that makes sense. thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 11:11 PM   #207
junipertots
Pledge

D. are you going to provide a link to your mix?

Old 04-22-2008, 03:54 AM   #208
Fattening Ass
Just Hook it to My Veins!

finished choosing tracks. Gonna listen to it one more time and prolly up it tomorrow. I hope my recipient likes it :S

Old 04-22-2008, 07:51 AM   #209
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Quote:
D. are you going to provide a link to your mix?
Here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?ge1mjojunnx

Old 04-22-2008, 12:23 PM   #210
Thaniel Buckner
Minion of Satan

i really don't want to do a track by track review cause that'd be tedious, and i don't remember the order, really.

as a whole, i liked the cd enough, although i'm not much of a "song" person lately. although musicianship on some of the tracks was impressive. i did happen to find track 9 extremely annoying, though. why would you transpose the shitty power chords you play on your guitar to a string quartet. that's all i heard. track 13 was amusing. my mom once knew a guy in miami who found a square grouper in the bay and lived rather comfortably for about a year without having to work.

this review sucks, but i want to know who it is. i'm guessing waltermcphilp.