Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2017, 11:14 AM   #1
fuzzyroes
Banned

Default BEST MOVIE EVER

Hot damn! I just got myself a VCR and hooked it up the other night and since I've been on a Ramones kick I decided to dig into my collection and watch my original release of Rock and Roll High School with The Ramones for the first time! ( I'd just collect VHS without even having a VCR). This shit does not disappoint! It's cheese-ball to the max, but in the raddest way possible.

If you're a music historian and haven't seen this, you simply gotta check it out. Seeing Joey Ramone trying to act as he garbles his words is worth the whole viewing experience on it's own!

On a side note, You'd think an original release of such a low-budget flop of a movie that years later would be renown because of the growing importance of the Ramones would be worth some good coin but there's one available on EBAY for only 20 bucks. I think that's a pretty good deal. Probably worth snatching up if any of you guys enjoy collecting rock memorabilia.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #2
fuzzyroes
Banned

It's worth noting that I bought my copy for 1$ though

It's actually an old Movie-store copy! Which is all kinds of awesome but it looks like they cut the original box in order to mount it on a sheet so it would display nicely in the stores clam-shell case. It's got the vintage oldschool store sticker still on it complete with the "please be kind and rewind" sticker still on it and everything

Even though it damages the collector value, I think it's so much radder to have the video store copy. All the character and just to imagine how many times somebody picked it up and made a night of watching it.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:25 AM   #3
fuzzyroes
Banned

Here's what my cover looks like

http://vhscollector.com/sites/defaul...ers/rock_0.jpg

But 99% of the other VHS you'll find are the reissue with this box cover

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/54150/54...dd0_54150b.jpg

Old 11-10-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
fuzzyroes
Banned

*****That concludes this weeks installment of "Collectors Corner staring 'The Fuzzman Cometh'". Tune in next week for more pack-rat action. "See you at the treasure hunt!"*****

Old 11-10-2017, 09:28 PM   #5
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffile...80x&c=94011751

Old 11-10-2017, 09:28 PM   #6
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
*****That concludes this weeks installment of "Collectors Corner staring 'The Fuzzman Cometh'". Tune in next week for more pack-rat action. "See you at the treasure hunt!"*****
Mods, please close thread.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #7
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Madre di Dios.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #8
fuzzyroes
Banned

In all seriousness, is there really no other collectors out there on this forum? I know Slunken is, but I think he's the only other one.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #9
slunken
Virgo

The only VHS tapes worth anything are movies that have never been released in any other format. And even still it's hit or miss.

I stopped buying VHS when I ran into a streak where the tapes I were buying were super worn and wouldn't play properly. I had one of those CRT TVs that showed a blue screen instead of static which made them impossible to watch. Hate those fucking things.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:14 AM   #10
slunken
Virgo

The last major-release VHS thing I bought/sold was the original set of Twin Peaks episodes. Found it sealed at a Half Price books for $3 and sold it for $30. Not exactly a goldmine, but there are tapes out there worth some money, for sure.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #11
slunken
Virgo

Old 11-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #12
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
The last major-release VHS thing I bought/sold was the original set of Twin Peaks episodes. Found it sealed at a Half Price books for $3 and sold it for $30. Not exactly a goldmine, but there are tapes out there worth some money, for sure.
A fool and his money are soon parted.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #13
FoolofaTook

Here I sit
Broken hearted
Tried to shit
but only farted.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #14
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Old 11-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #15
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Old 11-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #16
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
The only VHS tapes worth anything are movies that have never been released in any other format. And even still it's hit or miss.

I stopped buying VHS when I ran into a streak where the tapes I were buying were super worn and wouldn't play properly. I had one of those CRT TVs that showed a blue screen instead of static which made them impossible to watch. Hate those fucking things.
Ahhh yes, that would be a total pain in the ass.

Your first point is exactly why I collect though. Out here it's not even easy to come across DVD's anymore as they're becoming increasingly obsolete. I guess most people just use the "On Demand" feature but the catalogue provided is missing all sorts of shit.

I suppose pretty much anything you could want is available online in some form or another though, but I'm just a dinosaur who doesn't even have a computer hooked up to a TV. I literally still have one of those old tube TV's

Old 11-13-2017, 11:44 AM   #17
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, that seems to be about where the reasonably collectible tapes max out at.

I've seen some that are still shrink-wrapped with the original promo-stickers and offers inside go for more though, but that's a totally different ball of wax all together.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:16 PM   #18
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

When I moved two and a half years ago, I took (foolofa) all my VHS to Goodwill. Hundreds of tapes. Good riddance.

Collecting useless ephemera that doesn't really enrich your life is a compulsion, fuzz. I buy a lot of Blu-Rays/DVDs/CDs still, but I try and make sure it's going to be something I enjoy. And if I don't, I sell it back. Likewise, old shit that no longer "fits" gets sold.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:16 PM   #19
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

bradpitt-fightclub.gif

Old 11-13-2017, 06:00 PM   #20
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
, I took (foolofa)

I just came a little.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:02 PM   #21
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 11-13-2017, 06:03 PM   #22
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 11-13-2017, 06:04 PM   #23
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 11-13-2017, 06:05 PM   #24
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 11-13-2017, 06:26 PM   #25
Andy /

Angry

i still have a vcr (two, actually) and some vhs tapes, primarily of movies i never upgraded or things i felt would be worth keeping (like pre-special edition star wars). i have bought a couple new vhs tapes in the last couple of years, one being dj douggpound's collection of old material and the other a version of the cabinet of dr. caligari overdubbed with an alternate soundtrack.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #26
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
When I moved two and a half years ago, I took (foolofa) all my VHS to Goodwill. Hundreds of tapes. Good riddance.

Collecting useless ephemera that doesn't really enrich your life is a compulsion, fuzz. I buy a lot of Blu-Rays/DVDs/CDs still, but I try and make sure it's going to be something I enjoy. And if I don't, I sell it back. Likewise, old shit that no longer "fits" gets sold.
I feel like we're similar in our enjoyment of collecting, but I gotta disagree with your premise here.

The fun in collecting VHS is that you can generally find them for next to nothing. If you enjoy entertainment there's really no cheaper way of indulging in the works than buying VHS.

You talk about buying CD's and then wiping the slate clean, and that's fine and all but most of these places give what... 25 cents per CD these days? Now I'm not suggesting to just hoard them or anything. It's just it costs way less to you rid yourself of VHS that you probably only payed .50-1$ for in the first place.

At this point in the world of media, I can't even understand actually purchasing Blu-Ray/DVD/CD's for any more than 3 dollars if you're not sure if you're going to enjoy it... Sure, I buy CD's all the time on a whim for like a buck a piece, but it sounds like you actually buy a lot of new shit and then sell it for pennies after which is just reckless.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #27
redbreegull

I have a ton of VHS tapes which are getting donated to the library soon. There are a few Disney ones I was told might be worth a few bucks but other than that I can't imagine any of them are worth anything. Most of them have been played a lot or are shitty movies that you might get in a christmas stocking but never watch

Old 11-14-2017, 04:06 PM   #28
redbreegull

my other contribution here is that I like the part in rock and roll highschool where the parents are like burning and steamrolling ramones LPs

Old 11-14-2017, 04:07 PM   #29
redbreegull

pretty sure they blow up the school in the end, right?

ah, the golden pre-columbine days when you could just blow up a high school in a movie and it could be funny and not like real life

Old 11-14-2017, 06:12 PM   #30
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
At this point in the world of media, I can't even understand actually purchasing Blu-Ray/DVD/CD's for any more than 3 dollars if you're not sure if you're going to enjoy it... Sure, I buy CD's all the time on a whim for like a buck a piece, but it sounds like you actually buy a lot of new shit and then sell it for pennies after which is just reckless.
Not quite. I buy mostly used (with about 10% new), and the stuff I sell back is old, old shit that I no longer get anything from and which has been gathering dust and/or sitting in a closet for years.

When I took (foolofa foolofa foolofa) those CDs, the girl commented on my "big box of 2004." It's more about taking a good hard look at who you are and who you were, and realizing you have gotten all the enjoyment you're going to get out of something, and moving on.

I mean, if it takes me selling 25 CDs from my 20s that I don't listen to anymore to get that Blood & Black Lace (look it up) steelbook, that's a worthy trade-off in my book. Plus, I'm making sure I'm never overburdened by stuff.

I may be reading you wrong and apologize for assuming, but it sounds like you collect stuff just for the sake of "stuff," which is really problematic from my POV. I try to make sure the new things I bring into my apartment are really going to be something I genuinely enjoy and use to their fullest.