Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2015, 12:05 AM   #1
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Default Hey Baseball fans can you explain the mets to me

no making fun of baseball itt i wil grant all statistical interest as well as the unique tension that playoff baseball provides

but seriously do the mets just, as a franchise, suck almost all the time and then come up out of nowhere like some kind of squall and win a world series and then promptly go back to sucking ass?

Old 10-24-2015, 12:06 AM   #2
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

There are 29 major league baseball teams, and there are the mets

Old 10-24-2015, 12:11 AM   #3
Trotskilicious
Banned

it feels like even last year everyone figured them for a mickey mouse franchise

Old 10-24-2015, 12:11 AM   #4
Trotskilicious
Banned

did they do like the cubs and astros but they kept david wright because yknow continuity is a thing

Old 10-24-2015, 11:25 AM   #5
The Omega Concern
Banned

They have a former communist on their team who fled his homeland to play baseball here.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #6
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Young pitchers are incredibly good. And they traded for Cespedes midseason and that got their offense going.

Daniel Murphy also sold his soul and has had an amazing career-making postseason.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:53 PM   #7
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
it feels like even last year everyone figured them for a mickey mouse franchise
Success has been coming, they've had good drafts and made good trades the past two seasons. But they got hot at the right time and were really helped by the Nationals being completely inept.

They'll be good for a while now if they can find more offense and avoid decimating pitching injuries.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:41 PM   #8
fuzzyroes
Banned

The Mets pillaging of the Blue Jays really sped up their progress. They traded a shitty 38 year old knuckleballer to the Jays for Noah Syndergarrd and Travis D'arnaud both of whom have contributed a lot this year and are only on the up and up.

But yeah, it mostly comes down to their starting pitching. Guys like Harvey, Degrom, Syndergarrd all have filthy stuff.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:42 PM   #9
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

i don't understand why anybody would be a Mets fan. To me it's like Cubs fans but without any kind of interesting mythology. And also at least people all over the country love the Cubs. Not the case with the Mets.

In some ways their the Detroit Lions of baseball. They've sucked for forever and their fans are pathetic nihilists.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:57 PM   #10
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
i don't understand why anybody would be a Mets fan. To me it's like Cubs fans but without any kind of interesting mythology. And also at least people all over the country love the Cubs. Not the case with the Mets.

In some ways their the Detroit Lions of baseball. They've sucked for forever and their fans are pathetic nihilists.
When the Dodgers left people switched to being Mets fans. That's pretty much at least locally in NYC what the mythology is based around. That and they aren't the Yankees. There is a lot to be said for being not the Yankees. Even though they suck they are local and not the rich boy fucking Yankees.

They are the working class team in NYC.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:18 PM   #11
The Omega Concern
Banned

If anything can stop the mission the Royals have been on since last years W.S. loss its the Mets pitching. I like that guy from Long Island, Matz...he's their 4th starter and most hittable yah, but he's better than Cueto right now and he's their #2.

i prefer the national league and would rather see the Mets win. I'm a bigger Cespedes fan than ever now because the better he does the more it makes Billy Beane look like an ass. Josh Donaldson too for that matter...

Degrom's the best arm since Lincecum's early years and Thor is a viking beast who throws 100mph. Those two backing up Harvey is wicked.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:20 PM   #12
fuzzyroes
Banned

I don't get all of the hate for the Yankees. The owner was a huge baseball fan and spent the money it took to build a winner. With Major League Baseball every team is privately owned and their own separate entity unlike the NFL which is just one corporation where the franchises are nothing more than business affiliates.

That's why you don't see NFL games on regional networks. Every week the prime-time games are different and theirs little rhyme or reason to it. With baseball the owners make all of their own deals to maximizes their profits. So the Steinbrenners spending outta their ass was really a fiscal business decision.

Fuck the Yankee haters

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 10-25-2015 at 09:31 PM.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:21 PM   #13
Trotskilicious
Banned

mets have great mythology, the worst team ever to the amazin mets. the 80s doing all the blow in the world. shea stadium. the apple in the outfield. idk i think scotty's a dick

Old 10-25-2015, 09:26 PM   #14
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern View Post
If anything can stop the mission the Royals have been on since last years W.S. loss its the Mets pitching. I like that guy from Long Island, Matz...he's their 4th starter and most hittable yah, but he's better than Cueto right now and he's their #2.

i prefer the national league and would rather see the Mets win. I'm a bigger Cespedes fan than ever now because the better he does the more it makes Billy Beane look like an ass. Josh Donaldson too for that matter...

Degrom's the best arm since Lincecum's early years and Thor is a viking beast who throws 100mph. Those two backing up Harvey is wicked.
Yeah, I never knew Matz had as electric stuff as he displayed during the playoffs. For some reason I always remembered him having lackluster stuff that averaged at about the 92MPH range... But man, he's looked downright filthy the last game I saw.

Royals are a really solid team that has an incredible bullpen though... They only need their starter to go through a lineup 2 times and then they're set- that's how they've gotten by with guys like Chris Young and Volquez in their rotation... They really don't have any + arms in their rotation. Cuetos been a huge sack of shit... It's funny, always thought he was a pretty good pitcher, I didn't think the National League factor made THAT much of a difference.

All and all I'm rooting for the Royals. They play the game the right way. They really utilize situational hitting whereas a team like the Blue Jays are all or nothing. 1-9 in their lineup are all really solid contact hitters. I hope they rock the Mets

Old 10-25-2015, 09:27 PM   #15
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
mets have great mythology, the worst team ever to the amazin mets. the 80s doing all the blow in the world. shea stadium. the apple in the outfield. idk i think scotty's a dick
Yeah, I mean they won one of the most sensational World Series' in history with a group of the most haywire players. I mean theres several awesome books about those 80's Mets teams... Now the CUBS, that's another story

Old 10-25-2015, 10:20 PM   #16
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I don't get all of the hate for the Yankees. The owner was a huge baseball fan and spent the money it took to build a winner. With Major League Baseball every team is privately owned and their own separate entity unlike the NFL which is just one corporation where the franchises are nothing more than business affiliates.

That's why you don't see NFL games on regional networks. Every week the prime-time games are different and theirs little rhyme or reason to it. With baseball the owners make all of their own deals to maximizes their profits. So the Steinbrenners spending outta their ass was really a fiscal business decision.

Fuck the Yankee haters
Shocking that someone as shallow and vapid as you wouldn't understand why people hate the Yankees.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:27 PM   #17
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
The mid 80's were literally the only time in my life I gave a shit about baseball.

I remember having the windows open and you could hear my entire neighborhood go nuts when the ball went through Buckners legs. It was like something you only see in movies.

Man I loved that team. Just so many personalities on that team.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:30 PM   #18
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:

I saw scotty's remark and just laughed it off. Two words shuts this no mythology of the Mets to waste:

Casey Stengel

Old 10-26-2015, 01:13 AM   #19
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:

Fuck the Yankee haters

The Babe got so sick of Steinbrenner he possessed Kevin Lowe in that '04 game seven to break the curse. The sox sweeping the world series afterward was a foregone conclusion.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:50 AM   #20
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Kevin Lowe, huh?

Old 10-26-2015, 12:54 PM   #21
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
People hate the Yankees (read: people not from New York) because the Yankees have been in 40% of World Series and have won roughly 20% of them. That's almost half of a century of the Yankees amassing wealth and throwing it around. It's the same reason non-Americans hate America.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:59 PM   #22
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

And I hate the 2015 Mets because they are my generation's '69 Mets

Old 10-26-2015, 02:29 PM   #23
Trotskilicious
Banned

it's also why pretty much everyone hates the Lakers

the fans don't help, i mean everyone hates philly teams because of the fans, people hate boston teams primarily because of the fans especially fucking patriots fans. yankees fans are pretty obnoxious although lakers fans are just the most obnoxious in the world. it's like they have altars set up to kobe that they pray to 3 times a day

Old 10-26-2015, 02:51 PM   #24
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
it's also why pretty much everyone hates the Lakers

the fans don't help, i mean everyone hates philly teams because of the fans, people hate boston teams primarily because of the fans especially fucking patriots fans. yankees fans are pretty obnoxious although lakers fans are just the most obnoxious in the world. it's like they have altars set up to kobe that they pray to 3 times a day
yankee's fans are annoying but they are not as bad as red sox fans who are the worst fans in baseball to me.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:15 PM   #25
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Eagles fans are the worst. No contest.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:46 PM   #26
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Worst fans by major sport?

Hockey: Habs or Flyers?

Old 10-26-2015, 08:51 PM   #27
fuzzyroes
Banned

I used to be a Vancouver Canucks fan growing up but the sheer homerism of the fans was part of the reason that started to make me hate the team... That and the players just became really unlikable. I think most fan-bases are inherently terrible and not objective in the slightest

Old 10-26-2015, 08:53 PM   #28
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
People hate the Yankees (read: people not from New York) because the Yankees have been in 40% of World Series and have won roughly 20% of them. That's almost half of a century of the Yankees amassing wealth and throwing it around. It's the same reason non-Americans hate America.
That's kind of the beauty in baseball to me. No salary cap, so if you wanna build a winner it's in your hands and you can do what you gotta do to win without purposely tanking for years just to solidify a high draft-pick. Teams always eventually kind of have to rebuild to an extent, but this tanking shit just gets pathetic .

Old 10-26-2015, 09:03 PM   #29
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppunk View Post
Kevin Lowe, huh?

yup (did he not pitch like the Babe that night?). My brother knew this guy from Boston, whom I shared a working theory on how the curse was broken. My tongue is firmly in cheek on it all...for the most part.

It all starts the day the Indians beat the Yankees that year 22-0 with 22 hits. It was the same day some kid who used to live in Babe Ruth's house got hit with a foul ball at Fenway. That was one of those signs.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:28 PM   #30
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern View Post
yup (did he not pitch like the Babe that night?). My brother knew this guy from Boston, whom I shared a working theory on how the curse was broken. My tongue is firmly in cheek on it all...for the most part.

It all starts the day the Indians beat the Yankees that year 22-0 with 22 hits. It was the same day some kid who used to live in Babe Ruth's house got hit with a foul ball at Fenway. That was one of those signs.
There is no Kevin Lowe. Derek, you mean.

Cleveland beat NY on Sept. 1, by that point Boston was the hottest team in baseball. Get out of here with that bs conspiracy crap.