Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #31
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

I'd have taken The Future Embrace.

Why?

Aside from me liking TFE more than MSOTS(or maybe it's that I hated MSOTS more than TFE), it seems like if your relationship with her was built on the sentimentality of getting to know and share the Pumpkins, then TFE would be more valuable to hold on to by association.

I see Zwan as the sort of outcast of Billy-related projects. So many people hated the shallowness of the music, and the image, and the "new" band. At least with TFE, he was doing stuff all on his own... which isn't a stretch from Adore, or a lot of Siamese Dream. With MSOTS, he was trying hard to not be the Pumpkins, even with Jimmy being a part of it. But with TFE, it was more about doing a first solo record that sounded like a combination of what he was influenced by, and who he'd become. I think that's more on-par with the Pumpkins.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:44 PM   #32
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyngel View Post
a combination of what he was influenced by, and who he'd become. I think that's more on-par with the Pumpkins.
shit creates shit. i get it

Old 05-24-2008, 06:43 PM   #33
daevil1
Demi-God

what is this gibberish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristJesus View Post
"The same day came to him the Sadducees, which say that there is no resurrection, and asked him,

Saying, Master, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother.

Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first, when he had married a wife, deceased, and, having no issue, left his wife unto his brother:

Likewise the second also, and the third, unto the seventh.

And last of all the woman died also.

Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her.

Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as tfe angels of God in heaven.

But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying,

I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

And when the multitude heard this, they were astonished at his doctrine.

But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together."

The Gospel of St. Matthew 22:23-34

Old 05-24-2008, 07:20 PM   #34
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

I'd say you defiantly made the right choice. I think as an album, Mary Star of the Sea is far superior.

Quote:
can you even buy a copy of either album that isn't used?
I know you can still find TheFutureEmbrace in stores new from time to time, but I have not seen a new copy of Mary Star of the Sea since 2006; but, I did see it a local Goodwill (with stickers AND DVD) for $2.50!

Old 05-24-2008, 07:24 PM   #35
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

you chose wisely, MSOTS >>>> TFE.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:56 PM   #36
i_adore_adore
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
i would of taken TFE personally.
OH MY GAWD IT'S HAAAAAAAAAVE.

Quote:
Thefutureembrace is better. In the same way that POMP is the best track from SP2
Pomp is heaven in the form of a gong-tastic song. But TFE is a piece of doodoo.

Why am I talking like 7-year-old?

Old 05-25-2008, 12:00 AM   #37
IWishIWasBlank
Apocalyptic Poster

Dunno killer. Don't know. I'd give an opinion on the thread, but I've not heard TFE or MSOTS throughout... just some demos and premasters. They sound foreign to me really.

How's your bass? Oh shit... gen chat thread police are going to get me (k)now.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:58 AM   #38
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrucisuian View Post
Thefutureembrace is better. In the same way that POMP is the best track from SP2
i've read plenty of people discuss why they like p&c so much, but i don't remember anything relevant to why TFE would be considered better than MSOTS. the guitar work on several MSOTS tracks is much closer to the soulful solo during P&C than anything on TFE....so i assume you're either talking about the inclusion of synths in general, or you're just saying that both p&c and tfe are better because they're more of the weird underdogs of the bunch.

both albums have their good moments and cringe moments. but overall MSOTS is much more listenable, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrucisuian View Post
so is this guy with the "i'm better than you" font color like a DM or something?
you can change your font color too. now deduct 3D6 worth of damage for questioning me.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:12 AM   #39
tcm
Braindead

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_adore_adore View Post
Why am I talking like 7-year-old?
oh my gawd it's indefinite articcccccccccccccle.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:57 AM   #40
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrucisuian2 View Post
I just believe he has done everything in rock that he is capable of. So unless he is creating something new or breaking new ground my interest fades.
thats the same thing that billy claimed in 1998, though by the spring of 1999 he was back on stage with the original band thrashing out awesome new rock tunes. not to mention all the rock he has done since.

so why does his "something new" have to be seperate from all things rock? Z is filled with new/fresh tunes that also happen to rock, cant you admire that?

not trying to attack you or anything, its admirable you don't just want to hear more of the same. just saying "new" and "rockin" don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:02 AM   #41
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

hoax like a fox.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:00 AM   #42
areyougaffney?
Demi-God

Why split the CDs??? You're the man right?? Just take them and if she moans or whatever beat her black and blue.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:13 PM   #43
i_adore_adore
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
oh my gawd it's indefinite articcccccccccccccle.
I love you.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:56 AM   #44
dzhezus
Pledge

a heartbreaking thread of staggering loss

Old 05-26-2008, 12:57 AM   #45
dzhezus
Pledge

(you made the right decision)

Old 05-26-2008, 02:04 AM   #46
tcm
Braindead

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_adore_adore View Post
I love you.
then marry me! what could possibly go wrong

Old 05-26-2008, 03:55 AM   #47
hoboj0e
Crooked Special

In my opinion the real question is, will you part with Mina Loy/A100/Camera Eye or Mary Star of the Sea (song). These are the (only) four reasons to own these the albums. I'd choose TFE in a heartbeat. MSOTS song can be downloaded live in a much better version.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #48
i_adore_adore
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
then marry me! what could possibly go wrong
Have you met my father?

MSOTS is such a good album, and it saddens me to see all this hatred! It's not easy to write music that sounds simultaneously happy and genuine (especially if you're Billy Corgan, I'm assuming), but I've always felt that he pulled it off with MSOTS. There are some terrible moments, of course, but in all I think the terrible moments on MSOTS are fewer and more bearable than the terrible moments on TFE. TFE is way too melodramatic, and it just seems forced. It's like Billy trying to be a poet and failing (and, according to most, he already did that with Blinking with Fists).

But HEY. You guys can like whatever you want.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:13 PM   #49
werideatdusk
Ownz

I really like TheFutureEmbrace, but I haven't been able to enjoy MSOTS for several years. My favorite moments on MSOTS are actually the ones where he went way over-the-top (ie "Baby Let's Rock!" and the 14-minute "J,I/MSOTS"). The sunny pop tunes don't really do it for me. Sure, I enjoy "El Sol" and "Lyric" and "Endless Summer" and "Ride a Black Swan" but the album just lacks the drama of other BC releases. It's my least favorite of his.