Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 09-14-2006, 07:22 AM   #1
The Pashing Smumpkin
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face "Batman Triumphant" - What could have been if Schumacher had continued...

Batman Triumphant
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Batman Triumphant
Directed by Joel Schumacher
Written by Mark Protosevich (screenwriter)
Bob Kane (comic book)

Starring George Clooney
Jack Nicholson
Chris O'Donnell
Michael Gough
Pat Hingle
Music by n/a
Distributed by Warner Bros.
Release date n/a
Running time n/a
Awards n/a
Language English
Budget Unknown
Preceded by Batman & Robin
Followed by n/a
Batman Triumphant was to be the third film of the Joel Schumacher Batman movie series, originally the film was to have a rushed production (just like Batman & Robin) in order to be released in 1999 - just in time to commemerate Batman's 60th anniversary. George Clooney (Batman/Bruce Wayne) and Chris O'Donnell (Nightwing/Dick Grayson) would have come back in their prior roles and the main villain would be the Scarecrow. The screenplay was written by Mark Protosovich. Jack Nicholson was to reprise his role as the Joker, resurrected as a hallucination of Batman's created by the Scarecrow's fear gas, with Madonna rumoured to play Harley Quinn, who would be the Joker's daughter rather than his lover (not “Alicia” from the first film as rumoured). Schumacher was again to direct the film.[1]

Due to the negative reaction[2] to Schumacher's campier Batman & Robin, this film was intended to take a darker turn, so much so that it was rumoured that Robin and Batgirl would both be killed off.[1]

The magnitude of the failure of Schumacher's Batman & Robin, led to Triumphant ultimately being cancelled altogether. A fifth Batman film featuring the Scarecrow, Batman Begins, was released in 2005, but this was a relaunch of the entire Batman film franchise, completely unrelated to any prior screen incarnation.

[edit]
Trivia
Although George Clooney's first and only appearance was in Batman & Robin, he was signed on for three Batman movies. This would have been his second appearance as Batman/Bruce Wayne. It would have been Chris O'Donnell's third appearance as Dick Grayson/Robin.
Batman: The Dark Knight, which was the name of the early script, was considered by Warner Bros. as the film's title but was subsequently thrown out. The Dark Knight is now the title of the sequel to Batman Begins.
In a report by SFX magazine in 1996, Batman Triumphant, was the original name for the fourth installment Batman & Robin. Batman & Robin was chosen as the title due to the popularity of Robin played by Chris O'Donnell in Batman Forever.
The script treatment by Mark Protosevich, has never been released. Those from Warner Bros. who have read the script, described it as darker than Schumacher's previous entries - more like a mix between the 1989 Batman film and Batman Forever.
Pre-production began before the release of Batman & Robin, and after its failure at the box office Warner Bros. dropped Schumacher and went on to reboot the franchise.
As the script treatment was not released, little is known about the film's plot. However, rumours circulated that Dick Grayson is at college where he discovers Professor Jonathan Crane performing sinister experiments on unwary students. Alicia Silverstone, who played Batgirl/Barbara Wilson in Schumacher's previous film, was reportedly not signed on for the film. However, it was expected that she would reappear, but her role was to be limited to their college life.
Howard Stern, Steve Buscemi, Jeremy Irons, Brad Dourif, Robert Englund and Jeff Goldblum were considered for the role of the Scarecrow. Christopher Lloyd was an early choice.
Madonna, Jennifer Tilly, and Jenny McCarthy were considered for the role of Harley Quinn.
Jack Nicholson confirmed his involvement in a press conference in Sydney, Australia.
David Fincher was rumoured to direct instead of Schumacher.
Kurt Russell was rumoured to play Batman instead of Clooney.

As much as I would have loved to see Jack Nicholson return in the Batman franchise, thank christ they didn't give Schumacher another go...

Old 09-14-2006, 07:40 AM   #2
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

Red face

holy bat nipples

Old 09-14-2006, 07:47 AM   #3
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

I thought I'd take this opportunity to post this fan made heath ledger manipulation of him as the joker;

I think it's really cool aside from the shitty tagline.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:54 AM   #4
The Pashing Smumpkin
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristHimself!
I thought I'd take this opportunity to post this fan made heath ledger manipulation of him as the joker;

I think it's really cool aside from the shitty tagline.
thats actually pretty fucking good...

Old 09-14-2006, 10:11 AM   #5
Izzle
Banned

LOL @ "not all jokes are funny" tagline

Old 09-14-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

The premise for that movie sounds neat, but I'm sure Schumacher would have found some way to ruin it, so it's just as well that it didn't get made.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:57 AM   #7
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

"yes and we'll make scarecrow fluorescent, cut holes in the suit so you can see his nipples... and for the joker? ok, we'll start with a luminous green suit.."

Old 09-14-2006, 11:05 AM   #8
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
"yes and we'll make scarecrow fluorescent, cut holes in the suit so you can see his nipples... and for the joker? ok, we'll start with a luminous green suit.."
Considering the over-the-topness of Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy from Batman & Robin, this actually seems plausible if it was Schumacher directing.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:07 AM   #9
The Pashing Smumpkin
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Dont forget the bulging cod pieces...

Old 09-14-2006, 11:10 AM   #10
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pashing Smumpkin
Dont forget the bulging cod pieces...
Hey, easy on the cups! It's makes sense that Batman would be packin', so the Batschlong would need a little extra protection!

Old 09-14-2006, 11:20 AM   #11
The Pashing Smumpkin
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchocky
Hey, easy on the cups! It's makes sense that Batman would be packin', so the Batschlong would need a little extra protection!
Oh please! Batman was hung like an infant! Superman is the only comic hero with the donkey schlong...!