Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 05-01-2004, 07:58 PM   #1
homechicago
Apocalyptic Poster

Default john mccain is an american hero

he has my respect (and has since he ran in 2000)

"Your decision to deny your viewers an opportunity to be reminded of war's terrible costs, in all their heartbreaking detail, is a gross disservice to the public, and to the men and women of the United States Armed Forces," he added. "It is, in short, sir, unpatriotic. I hope it meets with the public opprobrium it most certainly deserves." - John McCain

ABC was able to secure alternate options for viewers in six of the eight cities affected, including St. Louis, Mobile, Ala., and Columbus, Ohio.

The controversy surrounding the "Nightline" broadcast comes as the news media focuses increased attention on the cost of the war. News reports have highlighted that more members of the armed forces were killed in April than in any other month of the war. Yesterday, at least two newspapers, USA Today and The Washington Post, displayed rows of photographs of the war dead. The New York Times published a page of photographs of war dead on April 15.

Sinclair, whose top executives have made substantial donations to Republican politicians and which has editorialized on its stations in favor of the war in Iraq, said earlier this week that the reading aloud of the names of the war dead, accompanied by photographs, amounted to an antiwar statement.

SHOWING THE FACES OF THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THIS COUNTRY IS PATRIOTIC. THEY ARE HEROES. IT'S A TRIBUTE. IT'S NOT PRO OR ANTI ANYTHING. IT'S ACKNOWLEDGING A SACRIFICE MADE FOR ME.

Old 05-01-2004, 09:07 PM   #2
Jason Smith

Default Re: john mccain is an american hero

Quote:
Originally posted by homechicago

Sinclair, whose top executives have made substantial donations to Republican politicians and which has editorialized on its stations in favor of the war in Iraq, said earlier this week that the reading aloud of the names of the war dead, accompanied by photographs, amounted to an antiwar statement.

SHOWING THE FACES OF THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THIS COUNTRY IS PATRIOTIC. THEY ARE HEROES. IT'S A TRIBUTE. IT'S NOT PRO OR ANTI ANYTHING. IT'S ACKNOWLEDGING A SACRIFICE MADE FOR ME.
The part that really upsets me about Sinclair is that people like him help to make our nation weak. A democracy is only as strong as the populace. The less we know about the toll a war like this has taken on our incredibly brave young men and women overseas makes me more fearful of a draft. I know that major news and media outlets do report daily combat deaths and that alone should be enough to alert our people to the reality of this war, but every now and then it is sobering to think about the magnitude of loss we face as a nation. 700 people is 1/5 the size of the high school I teach at. It continues to blow my mind.

Thank you to all the men and women who volunteer the service to our Armed Forces. No matter how much I agree or disagree with this war, I'm still grateful for them. Next time you see a veteran, thank them. I try to when I meet one. It makes a difference.