Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #121
telex
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidersoma
SP AOL Chat back in the 90s owned souls.
this is true. i was veiuphoria (note the misspelling). my girlfriend at the time was tearwell. we were so sad, and on the internet. i was involved in tape trading. i had a really shitty recording of purr snickety that, to be audible, needed full volume with the treble turned all the way down. BUT THAT IS ALL THERE WAS.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:03 AM   #122
telex
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCentauri
::cues song about memories::
http://www.angelfire.com/fl/pumpkins/images/wocoan1.mid

this midi is required listening while reading this thread

Old 06-01-2007, 11:06 AM   #123
Nothing/everything
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgo
on a not so related note: The Neutral milk hotel thingy/mangum tape is definately a no-go?

Old 06-01-2007, 11:10 AM   #124
skipgo
Minion of Satan

i remember these two listessa members who met and one moved to where the other lived, and they ended up having a kid together. Listessa helped to create life. how about that?

anyone remember Songs from the Magic Bus? Does anyone still HAVE that? I once gave a copy to Jimmy Flemion before a pumpkins show in Florida. That is one TALL motherfucker. I almost didn't recognize him without the wings and the long hair, haha!

Old 06-01-2007, 11:14 AM   #125
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing/everything
on a not so related note: The Neutral milk hotel thingy/mangum tape is definately a no-go?
oh, um...well jeff was kinda embarrassed by all of those songs. he told me he'd think about it and then never really said one way or the other...That whole situation was so weird, i had no idea it was going to become some big thing.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #126
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
i remember these two listessa members who met and one moved to where the other lived, and they ended up having a kid together. Listessa helped to create life. how about that?

anyone remember Songs from the Magic Bus? Does anyone still HAVE that? I once gave a copy to Jimmy Flemion before a pumpkins show in Florida. That is one TALL motherfucker. I almost didn't recognize him without the wings and the long hair, haha!
lol, yea i have the songs from the magic bus tape somewhere, and part 2 on cd also.

i also have my listessa mega-man long-sleeve t-shirt still. man, that mega-man pic was awesome (came from a pull-out poster image from the guitar world issue that featured james and billy). i swear that's when billy looked the coolest.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:19 AM   #127
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin
lol, yea i have the songs from the magic bus tape somewhere, and part 2 on cd also.

i also have my listessa mega-man long-sleeve t-shirt still. man, that mega-man pic was awesome (came from a pull-out poster image from the guitar world issue that featured james and billy). i swear that's when billy looked the coolest.

I've got that little poster still

so yeah, i made the cover image for that first SFTMB tape. Kinda embarrassing, it was pretty terrible looking back! I'm thinking the art I did for billy's myspace is a bit better, lol

Old 06-01-2007, 11:20 AM   #128
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

http://www.my-mistake.net/infinitepics/band/band227.jpg

Old 06-01-2007, 11:21 AM   #129
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
I've got that little poster still

so yeah, i made the cover image for that first SFTMB tape. Kinda embarrassing, it was pretty terrible looking back! I'm thinking the art I did for billy's myspace is a bit better, lol
ah-ha! you are Shannon H.! I remember you!

p.s. i still have the poster in that issue of guitar world. never removed it.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:22 AM   #130
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

http://www.my-mistake.net/infinitepics/band/band150.jpg

Old 06-01-2007, 11:25 AM   #131
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

here's the image from the shirt....though the poster from the mag above had an orange background instead.

http://www.spfc.org/images/smallshirt.jpg

also, for those who are interestd, you can see the historical info about the magis school bus tapes here: http://www.spfc.org/online/merchandi...content_id=559

Old 06-01-2007, 11:30 AM   #132
telex
Pledge

i miss the days of the moustachioed fatty

Old 06-01-2007, 11:33 AM   #133
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
ah-ha! you are Shannon H.! I remember you!

p.s. i still have the poster in that issue of guitar world. never removed it.
yes that's me!! It's so fun reliving all of this; I had so much fun with you guys back then. The sense of community was so strong, I really miss that. I'm glad to see so many of us are still trucking along as pumpkins fans.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:39 AM   #134
mccririck
Apocalyptic Poster

I have that one.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:40 PM   #135
spidersoma
Ownz

For some reason I can't recall, I had a burning hatred for Listessa. I think I was a member of some community similar to Listessa and we were all brainwashed to hate the enemy or something. I really can't recall. It was one of those nerdy "I'm in the high schol library internet room, lolz" things.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:24 PM   #136
sonic_life
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
listessa is long-gone, but karl is still an SP fan.

he also still helps with behind-the-scense stuff for spfc.org.
The couple of times that I met him he seemed like a really nice guy and a total diehard fan, totally deserving of that copy of MII.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:25 AM   #137
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

This was a little later on, but I recall a tape posted to the net that showed the L33+ crew in a hotel room, opening their little presents to each other or something. A lot of the Canadians were there...it was funny. Around that same era there was that Listessa charity drive for Starlight childrens fund, where donators could send a pic of themselves and a little note into that scrapbook which Karl Daher presented to Billy in person. That was cool.

I recall always wanting that Listessa shirt...but by the time I decided I should totally have one (who gave a fuck if anyone knew what it was about...it just looked cool) they were not available anymore. But I talked to a guy at the Dallas show in 2000 who was wearing one.

On a similar note, I tried to order a shirt and send fand mail to Laura Ann's address...only to discover that she had recently discontinued this service to the band. (Back in those days, though, I thought this was a devastating tragedy!)

Quote:
I remember when I basically forced someone to give me Jimmy's AOL/AIM user name years ago [pre-machina]. he rndomly signed on maybe 2 months later and, in conversation, told me he was cleaned up and re-joining the band about 2 months before he re-joined the band. nobody believed me. : ( he seemed concerned with what the fans thought about him and asked me more questions than i asked him. it was a nice conversation.
I wonder if this was me? I don't know about the user name, but I do recall finding his address (and knowing it was him.) It was weird that I got a not-so-unhappy reply, being so ballsy and stalker-ish as that was.

There was another guy I talked with (I think he called himself "fishingblue") who told me about some tapes of Billy playing with his highschool band, and how he was sending them to a VH1 TV show or something. No one believed him...but voila--a few months later, "Hexen" appeared on Before They Were Rockstars.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:27 PM   #138
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Ok, here's what I remember from the AOL SP chat days. On the 2nd (I think, it may have been the 1st or 3rd) anniversity of Jon's death/the OD, we had a fucking AOL vigil for the guy. Keep in mind these are mostly early teenage fans. So, of course it ended with some person (I think it was ZERO with a sucession of numbers, like ZERO294869), claiming they were going to kill themselves that night for the spirit of SP or some shit.
I had different names, I think the ones I had most often were EyeRawk33 and CagedRat33. I had others but I don't remember.
The SP vs Bush days were great, because Bush sucks. Easy win for us SP fans.
I definately remember people posting lyrics constantly, and I did talk to a few people on the phone. I definately remember the guy who was Veiuphoria (or whatever misspelling it was. The Siamese Dreamers was like a mailing list listessa-wannabe for aolers, but it was cool for a time. I think I did some kind of column for it back then, like a guitar tab of the week or something. That or it was another mailing list, but I think it was SDers.
On a side note, some guy came in to the SP private room one day talking about how SP was soft and they needed to say 'fuck' more in the songs like real bands (his band of choice was TOOL). I had a hearty laugh.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:53 PM   #139
stacieglass
Amish Rake Fighter

holy crap! oh the memories. what a great thread this is

i haven't traded a bootleg in almost a decade, but it sure is nice to see some similar faces around here.

incase you're not sure who i am, i used to go by "somaluna" and my email was [email protected]... i had a bootleg trade site that i've since relocated here: http://leftwave.com/stacieglass/sp/mainboot.html

i'm out $500 to a &%$#@*! scalper, but i'll be at the fillmore show on 07/27 this summer!!! i'll have to dig through my closet to find that old Lull shirt

-stacie.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:55 PM   #140
zerock
Ownz

i want billy to get a wig or something.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:40 PM   #141
redbull
Immortal

hey stacie, there are a few things on your list that I haven't seen show up in digital format or are upgrades to what's around...do you still have your old tapes? let me know if you're up for a trade.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #142
jamesey
Demi-God

is erinh around? she was an angel.

She gave me a ride to 3 different shows from Claremont, including the last one with D'arcy at the Roxy. It was the last Arising show and she gave me the ticket at face value. We got to stand between the barrier and the stage.

We also camped out at the Virgin Megastore show in Hollywood where it rained all night. It was miserable, but I think 1000 of us were in line, and we were in the first 20.

We also camped out at the Tonight Show with Jay Leno for the Pumpkins last TV appearance. I remember sleeping on the sidewalk and I woke up to her shoving some hot chocolate in my face. It was awesome. Also, she actually had tickets to the show, where everyone else did not. She gave one for free, even though people would have paid over $200 for it.

Then in 2002 I repaid her by buying an art magazine she made for $5.00, but she didn't cash the check for like 6 months and I switched banks. Then she got stiffed with a $20 fee when she tried to cash it and I was going to cover it but I never heard from her again.

Last edited by jamesey : 06-04-2007 at 09:46 PM.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:38 PM   #143
SpFission
Apocalyptic Poster

Whatever happened to DAVID CHO???

Last edited by SpFission : 06-05-2007 at 10:57 PM.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:17 PM   #144
ChrisHill
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpycat
There was another guy I talked with (I think he called himself "fishingblue") who told me about some tapes of Billy playing with his highschool band, and how he was sending them to a VH1 TV show or something. No one believed him...but voila--a few months later, "Hexen" appeared on Before They Were Rockstars.
This was just a coincidence, I believe. If it's the same guy I'm thinking of, the FishingBlu thing was just a hoax.

"This falls in the 'hit song' category"---BC, 8/10/88

Old 06-05-2007, 05:21 PM   #145
deadbirdie
Pledge

moonkids & I killed onica off for good. Ahhhh, those were the days

Old 06-05-2007, 06:45 PM   #146
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

ok, i'll bite.

what else did you do to her above and beyond the moonkids stuff?

Old 06-05-2007, 10:27 PM   #147
Pepperoni
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:

AHAHAHA interesting...but I was the first one who hacked that fuckin' account...let's give credit where credit is due. But he was a highly amusing fella...got the job(s) done.

Blast from the past, bitches....the AOL SP room back in the day is where it all went down. I too remember some of you.....now I'm just old.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:52 PM   #148
ZeroPower
Pledge

Quote:

yeah man, i got it, i was a contributor to it, i did mayo on it
I'm working to get my cassettes digitized sooner or later and i'll put it up on my ftp...pm me.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:55 PM   #149
ZeroPower
Pledge

Quote:

u already have it digital? if so, how can i save myself some trouble and download a copy? I contributed Mayo on it

Old 06-05-2007, 10:57 PM   #150
SpFission
Apocalyptic Poster

I used to try and d/l vids from this guy, but they never worked.

The Smashing Pumpkins Video Center
David Cho's excellent site for obtaining quite a few QuickTime .mov's of various Pumpkins videos.