Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2017, 02:05 PM   #151
redbreegull
Immortal

Sherman wanted to redistribute land in the South to freed slaves. Big swaths of coastal land in the South were to be deeded to newly freed slaves to help them enter the economy and begin a new life.

of course Andrew Johnson fucked that up and every other meaningful action taken to help black people after the war. He was probably the worst president in our history and more responsible than any other single person for the continued modern oppression of black Americans

Old 01-17-2017, 02:25 PM   #152
Poots
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
nah fuck those guys. the idea that you can take a guy like Lee who led a military insurrection against the United States to protect slavery and then write it off as "he was protecting his home and he was a good guy" is the reason we're still divided along the same fucking lines today. He was a pro-slavery traitor. It's a distinctly white privilege to be able to "look past" any other white person's horrible racist views or actions because they "seem like a good guy" or something. fuck that.
No, Took is right. Lee and Stonewall were complete, unadulterated badasses. They were "traitors" just as much as Washington and Jefferson were. Quit trying to destroy their legacy of being two of the most badass of all Americans ever.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:28 PM   #153
Poots
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Sherman wanted to redistribute land in the South to freed slaves. Big swaths of coastal land in the South were to be deeded to newly freed slaves to help them enter the economy and begin a new life.

of course Andrew Johnson fucked that up and every other meaningful action taken to help black people after the war. He was probably the worst president in our history and more responsible than any other single person for the continued modern oppression of black Americans
There is a small problem with taking land from private citizens. Something to do with due process or some kind of legal bullshit. You're right though, he should have just been allowed to steal land and redistribute it any way he chose. Hell, he'd already burned and raped half of the South, what's a little land redistribution right comrades?

Old 01-17-2017, 02:33 PM   #154
JESUSNEEDSAHIT
Ownz

you deserve to be enslaved

Old 01-17-2017, 02:34 PM   #155
JESUSNEEDSAHIT
Ownz

i will bring my kids and a picnic to your lynching

Old 01-17-2017, 02:34 PM   #156
Poots
Minion of Satan

I guess RE Lee should have been a great American and let the Union rape and pillage his home without trying to stop them.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:42 PM   #157
Poots
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESUSNEEDSAHIT View Post
you deserve to be enslaved
don't worry, when you and your limp wristed kind allow the muslims to conquer the West, then we'll all be enslaved

Old 01-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #158
fuzzyroes
Socialphobic

Quote:
he is a feeble minded being
Says the guy who threatens violence on an old man using a phone

Old 01-17-2017, 07:03 PM   #159
FoolofaTook
Socialphobic

sounds sexy

Old 01-17-2017, 07:04 PM   #160
FoolofaTook
Socialphobic

speaking of which, this 60+ gay felon will not let me be!! It doesn't matter where I am, as soon as he sees me he goes straight for me starts making random small talk, smiling like the summer sun. i run, i flee, but I cannot elude my aged gay criminal lover!

why god why

Old 01-17-2017, 07:04 PM   #161
FoolofaTook
Socialphobic

maybe I should shave my head or keep my dentures out

Old 01-17-2017, 07:06 PM   #162
FoolofaTook
Socialphobic

rbg the south was fighting for states rights. lincoln didn't commit to banishing slavery until later on. lee and jackson were incredible generals.

and sherman committed genocide. you heard of his march to the sea? burning everything in his army's way.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:07 PM   #163
FoolofaTook
Socialphobic

lol i was writing all this under the assumption that all three were confederates.

heh. Fool of a Took!

Old 01-17-2017, 07:08 PM   #164
FoolofaTook
Socialphobic

"military insurrection against the US?"

what are you a patriot? lol sorry couldn't help myself.

fuck the US.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:33 PM   #165
Poots
Minion of Satan

Just a few weeks ago RGB was encouraging an insurrection against the US because Trump got elected. Now he's all about the Union. But Lee and Stonewall actually went out and kicked ass, they didn't just serve soup to intersex genderqueer parrots.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:37 PM   #166
Poots
Minion of Satan

Old 01-17-2017, 07:38 PM   #167
FoolofaTook
Socialphobic

Goddam how did I end up on poots' side?

I just said they were good commanders.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:39 PM   #168
FoolofaTook
Socialphobic

That parrot is pretty. And speaking of soup I'm sitting in a soup kitchen right now.

SO FUCK U POOTS

Old 01-17-2017, 07:43 PM   #169
Poots
Minion of Satan

watch your cornhole dude

Old 01-17-2017, 08:00 PM   #170
scottytheoneand
Shut the fuck up!

Location: "You are the poster child for an uninformed brainwashed American" -OmegaConcern

netphoria deserves better trolls than this

Old 01-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #171
redbreegull
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
rbg the south was fighting for states rights.
absolutely false, protection of slavery was the stated reason for the war by Confederate leaders at the outset

Quote:
lincoln didn't commit to banishing slavery until later on.
The entire war began because Lincoln was elected. His party, the upstart Republicans, had a platform of abolishing slavery. This is literally why the South seceded.

Quote:
and sherman committed genocide. you heard of his march to the sea? burning everything in his army's way.
that's total war, not genocide. I don't think Sherman was necessarily a model of moral behavior either but admiring Robert E. Lee is fucking stupid.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:50 PM   #172
Poots
Minion of Satan

There is so much misinformation in the above post that it's hard to know where to begin. It's like your knowledge of the Civil War came entirely from Ken Burns.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:43 PM   #173
redbreegull
Immortal

I know it must be very hard for you to think about responding to six whole sentences, I'll give you some time and check back in a few days.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:08 PM   #174
FoolofaTook
Socialphobic

Sorry rbg but that is not what they taught me at my college. I'm not trolling. i was taught that the states rights issue goes way back to revolutionary times. But I know nothibng about us history and i was smoking hella treez too (surprise!) so who knows.

anyway i agree that slavery is bad and that it was a good thing that the civil war got rid of it. and by bad i mean one pf the worst thing man has ever inflicted on man. so at least we agree on the thing that matters most unlike poots that poots.

oh and fuck total war. just read this from ursula le guin: "Almost anything carried to its logical extreme becomes depressing, if not carcinogenic."

Old 01-17-2017, 11:18 PM   #175
JESUSNEEDSAHIT
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Sorry rbg but that is not what they taught me at my college. I'm not trolling. i was taught that the states rights issue goes way back to revolutionary times. But I know nothibng about us history and i was smoking hella treez too (surprise!) so who knows.
that is a really common myth, it is what i was taught in grade school and many peopke in the US are taught this also

but it is not true. the north won the battles but in the long term the south won propaganda war. the south completely undid reconstruction effort and implemented segregation. after the war there was actually a number of black men elected to state legislatures and even some in house of representatives I think, but in a few decades all the progress had been undone and black people were almost back where they started in some ways. even today many liberal americans have weird sympathetic views of the south but i promise if you really read the history, it was always about slavery.

rbg is right, the republicans began as an anti-slavery party and when lincoln was elected south carolina did the nullification thing to try and leave the country. that is, in literal terms, how the war started. and there are writing from SC confederate leaders that blatantly say this is all about slavery

slavery was a state right so it's true in a general way but the whole war was predicated on SLAVERY ISSUE specifically, it was totally about slavery. it's like if I say Iraq war was about oil and you say lol no it was about resources.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:11 AM   #176
FoolofaTook
Socialphobic

I see. I stand corrected. I do remeber that before the war there was hella tension in the border states and that it was a big deal for new states. to decide whether they would be pro or anti slavery.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:32 AM   #177
Poots
Minion of Satan

Segregation first reared it's head in 1832, and it was over tariffs, not slavery. Took is right that states rights had been an issue since the Revolution. So much so that the first government we formed was a confederation where the states held all the power. Many states would have never ratified the Constitution if they had known that once signed, they would never be able to leave. States rights is an issue that goes well beyond slavery, and it is still seen in US politics today, so of course it can't all be about slavery.

As far as Lincoln and the Republicans, they only wanted to make the western territories free, not free any slave in the South. Its true that southerners saw that as a threat to their way of life (which included slavery), and seceded. However, seceding is not the same as starting a war. The election of Lincoln caused many of the southern states to leave the Union, but it was Lincoln raising a million man army to invade the South that caused the Civil War. Of course, he needed a convenient excuse, and that was the "battle" of Ft. Sumter, in which no one died. It was the Reichstag fire of its day, and was Lincoln's justification for starting the war and invading the South to force millions of people, against their will, back into a union that they had legally and democratically left.

Quote:
My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union.

Abraham Lincoln, August 1862
This was written a whole four months before he issued the Emancipation Proclamation (for which Lincoln has been basically canonized as a civil rights saint), which was only passed to assure that Great Britain would not enter the war on the side of the Confederacy. It also didn't even free the slaves in Maryland, Kentucky, Missouri, or Delaware, as those remained in the Union. What kind of humanitarian would do this? Slavery is a huge red herring, a moral facade to put on a war that was really about centralizing power in a federal government that was increasingly dominated by northern industrial interests and banks. This was readily apparent to those in the South; why else would the common southern farmer, who owned no slaves, fight for the 5% of the rich to own slaves? They obviously were fighting to defend their homes from invasion, and against the tyranny of the federal government.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:54 PM   #178
ohnoitsbonnie
sperzie ✩ bonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dade View Post

Also, just in case anyone didn't know- states like Mississippi didn't ratify the 13th amendment until 2013!

Here's a few more interesting Lincoln quotes,

There is a natural disgust in the minds of nearly all white people to the idea of indiscriminate amalgamation of the white and black races ... A separation of the races is the only perfect preventive of amalgamation, but as an immediate separation is impossible, the next best thing is to keep them apart where they are not already together. If white and black people never get together in Kansas, they will never mix blood in Kansas ...

I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and black races. There is physical difference between the two which, in my judgment, will probably forever forbid their living together upon the footing of perfect equality, and inasmuch as it becomes a necessity that there must be a difference, I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position.

Our republican system was meant for a homogeneous people. As long as blacks continue to live with the whites they constitute a threat to the national life. Family life may also collapse and the increase of mixed breed bastards may some day challenge the supremacy of the white man.

What a swell guy, he loved 'the blacks'
These are not Lincoln quotes
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/a/alajourn...ew=text&seq=40

Old 01-18-2017, 03:06 PM   #179
ohnoitsbonnie
sperzie ✩ bonen

Those quotes belong to two guys mentioned in the text I posted. I could only find that white supremacist sites had attributed the quote to lincoln. All you people shouting that no, lincoln was actually racist WHICH MAKES RACISM OK!!! Gotta stop right now. And even if he was, well,
Welcome to the 1860s. You are now in 2017, where progress means something completely different.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:09 PM   #180
ohnoitsbonnie
sperzie ✩ bonen

and I repeat it here, that if there be a man amongst us who does not think that the institution of slavery is wrong in any one of the aspects of which I have spoken, he is misplaced, and ought not to be with us