Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2007, 04:53 PM   #151
Andy /

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' Cherub
would i have to use them as such? i mean i'd probably build a church but just because they look cool and you can throw parties in them and make bands play
Ideally eyah, but it's all hypothetical anyway. A retrofitted church made into a concert hall would be pretty cool actually.

If you could book five bands on one bill in your church, who would you have?

Old 01-21-2007, 04:56 PM   #152
Andy /

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammy
coffee is godly.
My mother drank it all the time, but I never acquired the taste. What is your coffee of preference? What do you recommend to the coffee drinkers on this board?

Old 01-21-2007, 04:58 PM   #153
Andy /

Quote:
sandwich hat

What would you like on this sandwich hat? Since Ammy's eating the other half, do you care what she wants on it?

Old 01-21-2007, 05:02 PM   #154
ammy
yer mom

i don't really have one, just nice and dark.
i couldn't drink caffeine much while pregnant, so i had to get used to decaf - i don't think the caffeine really effects me anyway, it's just the taste and smell that do it, placebo effect i guess - anyway. decaf coffee is gross. so just about any caffeinated coffee is good for me!

my favorite coffee-house drink is a soy almond steamer. it tastes like cookies. but that has no coffee in it!
with coffee i'd say a grande vanilla bean in a venti cup with two add shots, blended, no whip.
but that's espresso, and starbucks at that..
my favorite roast would be by the Carmel Valley Roasting Company - Carmel Foglifter

i like cream and sweetener (pink) in my coffee!

i like this thread. interesting questions and interesting answers all around

Old 01-21-2007, 05:11 PM   #155
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySlash
What are some current issues going on in Utah that are of interest to you? Do you predict any outcomes of these issues, and will they be good or bad for you personally?
i honestly dont pay attention to politics much at all, but i guess the recent smoking ban and the various other impacts it could have on businesses and whatnot. i think its a bad idea to outright ban and force it on everyone. but im trying to quit smoking myself, so i see it as a good thing in some respects, but as far as personal rights go in general i think its a bad bad move.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:13 PM   #156
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

*makes another post in thread*

Old 01-21-2007, 05:17 PM   #157
Andy /

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepiae
My grandfather is a Yankees fan, so my dad rooted for the Red Sox. So I assume he would have chosen whoever the Yankees had a rivalry with to be contrarian, or whoever Great Grampy rooted for.
Let's see if you can do this- can you pick five players from the Yankees in the last 10 years that you'd want on the Red Sox, and who on the Sox in that time frame would you trade for them? This has to be a relatively even deal, so you can't make it one sided.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:20 PM   #158
Andy /

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxzombie
i have ridden a sled, but i wouldn't say i've gone sledding. the last time i was in snow was when i was 5 and i wasn't going down any hills or anything, just getting pushed around by my brother and sister
Sucks for you.

What other little trivial things in life have you not been able to do yet that you would like to?

Old 01-21-2007, 05:20 PM   #159
The Jesus
Minion of Satan

Quote:
So hot.

Do people in your real life fuck with The Jesus?

I haven't been fucked with in a long time.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:21 PM   #160
Andy /

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammy
this post is quite pretty, with the colours and all.

Actually, yes, it is aesthetically pleasing.

OK, I'll ask a baby question. What were some of the names you were seriously considering for your child?

Old 01-21-2007, 05:23 PM   #161
Andy /

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermcphilp
maybe church? id either put my hand in my pocket and try to arrange it so its not noticeable. or hope we stand soon and block it with the pew in front of me.
I know what you mean.

Can you name your five favorite books?

Old 01-21-2007, 05:27 PM   #162
Andy /

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.
naw, Novotny, aha
Damn. I always had a suspicion about this guy and his family was insanely catholic.

Quote:
my five favorite movies off the top of my head would be:
bully, american beauty, 25th hour, 40 yr old virgin, and friday

five that everyone should see asap?
borat, 11:14, hard candy, little athens, and stay
I've only seen three of those- AB, 40yr old, and Friday. I will note the others. I just haven't gotten a chance to see Borat yet, though I really want to. I still haven't watched Snakes On a Plane, and I so bought into the hype before it was out.

Tell us about your experience in Army. What was your most terrifying moment?

Old 01-21-2007, 05:28 PM   #163
Andy /

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR
1997 to do things differently. cool question
Care to expound any?

If not, what is your favortie thing about living in San Francisco, and what is your least favorite thing?

Old 01-21-2007, 05:30 PM   #164
Andy /

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferkate
i was out til 4:30 yesterday morning and slept til the afternoon so my sleepiness is all messed up. i don't like nyquil. it knocks me out nicely but i always feel woozy the day after.

I slept all day, too. Hence the creation of this thread at the early AM hour. I didn't have any Nyquil, either.

What "little things" tend to brighten up your day when they occur?

Old 01-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #165
Andy /

OK, that's it for now. I will continue later this evening.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #166
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

Quote:
If you could book five bands on one bill in your church, who would you have?
i have no idea. i see too few bands to know what's good live and what isn't. i'm a closet music geek.
Quote:
What would you like on this sandwich hat? Since Ammy's eating the other half, do you care what she wants on it?
i'd let her decide. but tuna would be fine.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:34 PM   #167
mirrar
Braindead

Smile oh now you've got me talking...

Quote:
Aww.

What's your favorite one of those you've done so far? What made it special?
hands down flight of fancy. it was huge parade, 600+ people, we marched through downtown dressed in strange costumes with people on stilts, dudes dressed up as ninjas running ahead climbing on things, clowns, the whole deal. a ton of people brought instruments, and this big drumming troupe called the samba squad played too. we rushed a whole subway train during rushhour and danced and played guitars and bongos with all the suits. there was fire twirling and it all ended with fireworks and a rave on a beach. it was my favourite because it was so damn insane and huge, and my favourite moment from it is leading the thing and seeing a line of police staring at us, and then just watching as we went by, some of them smiling.

my non-public space one had to be renting a streetcar, decorating it and everyone dressing as pirates and mermaids and cruising around downtown with the windows down blasting happy hardcore and dance mix 94 leaning out the windows screaming YARRRR and waving swords at passerby. we had kids and families dancing in the streets, crazy homeless people screaming in delight, the whole deal.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:36 PM   #168
noir cat
Socialphobic

MirrarNikka, I'M SO FUCKING JEALOUS!!!

Old 01-21-2007, 05:37 PM   #169
noir cat
Socialphobic

I wish cool crap in my town happens all the time... well, I guess sometimes it does, but it's usually in downtown which is a bitch to drive to. It's in BFE.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:38 PM   #170
mirrar
Braindead

Cool

i'm in this one.. the guy in the yellow pants is my friend steve and he's kicking me.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:46 PM   #171
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

where's your costume

Old 01-21-2007, 05:46 PM   #172
Nimrod's Son

every time i see one of mirrar's ... events.. i can't help but believe more and more of this episode
http://animatedtv.about.com/library/...n_Canada_1.jpg

Old 01-21-2007, 05:46 PM   #173
Mariner
OB-GYN Kenobi

Quote:
So, how about that not-preganant sister of yours?

OK, seriously.... What's the most dangerous situation you've been in when you've been working on the boat tour job? Have you ever been in a situation on the water- working or not- that you felt in danger?

Alright Slashypoo, here's a long rambling sea story fer ya:

Happened this past summer when I was captain, doing a full 12-hour day of sightseeing trips every two hours. During the second to the last cruise severe thunderstorm watches/warnings went up for the whole region, so when we got in I went into the office to look at the weather radar and station observations. The line of storms heading our way will definitely get here during the last cruise of the evening, but it doesn't look really thick or threatening. Towns to the north and west currently under the storm don't seem to be experiencing very strong winds Thunderstorms usually collapse pretty quickly when they start sucking up the cooler air over Lake Superior, so they're almost never bad when they hit the area where we'll be cruising. Earlier during the summer I'd already been through two of the worst thunderstorm episodes I'd ever experienced in 5 years of working on the boats, and while they were intense niether of them lasted over 5 minutes. Kept watch on the radar for a few minutes, talked to the captain out on one of our other boats doing a dinner cruise, and decided to go out.

When we boarded I warned the passengers things could get a little rough for a while, and it might be hard to do any proper sightseeing or enjoy themselves outdoors, but they seemed hardy and insistent on getting their money's worth. As the first half hour of the cruise went on it rained a bit, the wind picked up, and the sky over the hill got threateningly dark, but many of the passengers stayed outside and seemed to be enjoying themselves. It looked that if things threatened to get bad there was little chance I'd have anyone freaking out and spooking the rest of the people on board.

About halfway through the cruise things started going downhill really fast. It was before sunset yet but the clouds moving in overhead were so black and so tall that little or no ambient light was coming through them, and they stretched from horizon to horizon so no light came in low from the sides either. A cloudy but fairly bright evening went as dark as night in about 2 minutes. The wind increased steadily and fiercely instead of gusting and receding as it more often does during storms here. Within ten minutes it was raining so hard that my visibility dropped to maybe 1000 feet, my radar was intermittently splashed with bright green washes of interference, and the rain sounded like hail on the overhead.

Real hail was not far behind. As it began to fall the rain came down even harder and the wind screamed up to 50, then past 60 miles per hour (100 kilometers/hour). The rain was no longer falling, but speeding along horizontally. The wind whipped up the harbor so much that I could no longer see actual waves or the surface of the water at all; instead a a thick, unbroken sheet of spray and water droplets surrounded the boat. It looked like the water was covered in dry ice fog from a smoke machine. I nosed the boat between two gigantic parallel dock structures to see if they offered any shelter from the wind, but it was coming right down the middle of them; no luck. I decided to stay put for a few minutes and see if this would pass quickly as usual. Again, no luck. I fought to hold position (nearly impossible) as the 60+mph wind and unbelievable rain kept coming and coming. I waited ten minutes (it seemed much longer). Talked to the other captain, whose dinner schedule was a little ahead of me which meant he was back down the harbor closer to home. He's kind of an understated guy, so when he says "Hoo! Wow this is good." It means, "Holy shit, I haven't seen anything like this in a long time."

Things still weren't letting up, so I decided to start groping my way home so that if the weather broke even a little I'd maybe be close enough to the dock to race in and tie up before things got bad again. The wind and the driving rain died down just a little, enough for visibility to get up to maybe 1/4 mile, but the stamina of this intense weather was like nothing I'd ever seen before. As I turned around and emerged from between the two giant docks, lightning (which hadn't been bad so far) started striking close and often. The land behind us was struck repeatedly and all the lights in the neighborhood and the docks there went out. I groped across the harbor through the main channel, picking out the marker bouys only when they were a few hundred feet ahead - the surface of the water was still being whipped into that eerie mist. As the lights of the city on the other side of the harbor came into view, lightning struck there and there was nothing but darkness ahead of us. As we got closer to that shore some emergency lights started coming back on and the wind and rain began to clear. Within a few minutes the wind was back to a "manageable" 30mph or so and the rain had stopped. Things started getting lighter again, and clear sky the color of the sunset started peeking through over the hill to the west. I was still 20 minutes from our dock, but I began to relax a little.

Didn't last long. The lightning on the trailing edge of the storm got worse and worse. If lightning struck the boat (not out of the question for a relatively tall metal object out in the middle of the water), I would lose all my electronics. Not the end of the world. There was a chance it would also blow the main battery banks. If I lost those I'd lose the engines and I wouldn't be able to start them again - that would be bad news. Even worse was the prospect of a lightning strike starting an electrical fire in a panel somewhere or in one of the big appliances in the concession stand. What I really didn't like thinking about was the current from a strike jumping out in the wrong place and running through an unluckily-placed passenger or crewman. Now I was really on edge. As long as I had my engines and the people on my boat were safe, wind and low visibility were relatively easy to deal with. An unfortunatelyl-placed lightning strike would probably change all that.

A bolt was hitting the ground or water within a few miles of us about once a minute. Huge sections of the power grid in the cities around us were blinking on and off. Ahead an intense salvo of lightning cracked on the hillside above our dock, and a succession of blinding blue-white explosions followed as electrical transformers blew across the neighborhood. I hugged the shoreline of the harbor in a way that placed us next to much taller structures that would hopefully attract any lightning searching for the path of least resistance through our area. That route also put me within easy reach of long, narrow slips of water perpendicular to the wind, so that if we did lose the engines I could hopefully steer into one with the inertia of the boat, and the wind would blow us against a deep dock we could tie to, instead of pushing us across the harbor into a shallow grounding miles from shore.

The frenzy of lightning strikes continued around us as I raced toward the dock. It was definitely the most tense ten minutes of my career so far. Waves out on the lake are easy to avoid by staying in the harbor when you know they're too big. Thick fog is unsettling but you go slow and know your radar, compass headings, and landmarks. Reckless, drunken power boaters and arrogant, ignorant sailboaters pull stupid moves in front of you all the time, but the're easy to spot a mile off and you know the rules. This situation, however, had me feeling that I was more or less at the mercy of the storm. The best I could do was make a run for the dock and hope for the best. Boy was I glad when we made it. The lightning hadn't really let up, and the rain and wind started up again as soon as we tied up. It took a long time before the adrenaline drained out of my system that night. My heart rate's up a little just writing this out.

(Y'arrrrrrrrrrrr)

edit: grammarrrrrrr

Last edited by Mariner : 01-21-2007 at 10:33 PM.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:47 PM   #174
mirrar
Braindead

Talking

Quote:
where's your costume
i'm wearing wings and horns and a ton of shit in my hair.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:48 PM   #175
obscured01
Minion of Satan

Hi Ryan.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:09 PM   #176
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner
Alright Slashypoo, here's a long rambling sea story fer ya:
so the weather starting getting rough and the tiny ship was tossed?

Old 01-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #177
ammy
yer mom

Quote:
Actually, yes, it is aesthetically pleasing.

OK, I'll ask a baby question. What were some of the names you were seriously considering for your child?

Des was set probably within the first months of us being together, it would have been Des for either a boy or a girl - and since it's something of an odd name, i wanted to be sure that the middle name was something that the child could choose to use instead incase they hated Des. Des Lynn was the first and only girl's name we came up with. we had a lot of trouble coming up with boys names, my favorite was Des Alexander

i have a sheet of paper somewhere with various names on it... not sure where it is though, i should keep that..

Old 01-21-2007, 06:14 PM   #178
noir cat
Socialphobic

Nikki, your friends always look so interesting.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:15 PM   #179
ammy
yer mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner
(Y'arrrrrrrrrrrr)

dude.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:16 PM   #180
Mo
Immortal

I just puked rice. Bah.