Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2018, 01:52 PM   #1
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Corgan vs. Soundgarden

This has been bugging me for a while....

Has anyone else noticed that Billy was conspicuously quiet publicly following the death of Chris Cornell last year? It seemed like every significant musician on the planet made an official statement or at least a tweet in his memory. Everyone except for Corgan, that is. Honestly, and correct me if I’m wrong here, I don’t think Corgan even breathed a word about Cornell until months later, and only when directly asked, in interviews with Howard Stern and SFWeekly.

And even those comments were pretty lukewarm all things considered. In fact, he actually manages to answer to the entire question about Chris from SFWeekly BY TALKING ABOUT HIMSELF:

Quote:
SFWeekly: “You’re a member of a shrinking club, as so many of your alt-rock contemporaries — Kurt Cobain, Scott Weiland, Layne Staley, Bradley Nowell, Shannon Hoon, and, most recently, Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington, have died of accidental overdoses or taken their own lives. Do you have any insight into this troubling trend?”

Bald Bull: “I wish I had more answers and I’d done more. I knew Chris, and we had a bit of a falling out and were never able to patch that up. I wish I hadn’t contributed in even the most miniscule way to his unhappiness. I wish I’d have been a force for encouragement, because he influenced me, and I looked up to him.”
I mean, seriously, Billy. What the fuck?? You’re still that angry about a beef that happened in the 90’s that you can’t even let your guard down and show genuine unselfish emotion when someone kills themselves? Fuck you.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy or is Billy’s public response to Chris’ tragic death just another example of his disgusting narcissism run amok?

(I have also included an Alternative Nation article about Billy performing at the cemetery where Chris was laid to rest. It doesn’t appear that any attempt was made to use this performance was a platform for honoring Chris, as far as I can tell.)

https://www.alternativenation.net/bi...ells-cemetery/

http://www.sfweekly.com/music/billy-...chris-cornell/

https://www.alternativenation.net/bi...-in-the-towel/

Old 03-15-2018, 01:55 PM   #2
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

ok

Old 03-15-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
FoolofaTook

-Shallowed

Old 03-15-2018, 02:00 PM   #4
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
Has anyone else noticed that Billy was conspicuously quiet publicly following the death of Chris Cornell last year? It seemed like every significant musician on the planet made an official statement or at least a tweet in his memory. Everyone except for Corgan, that is.

He was quiet because of this:

https://i.imgur.com/1qJGm3W.png

Old 03-15-2018, 02:03 PM   #5
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
November 13, 2012

Chris Cornell Says Billy Corgan Owes Him $40,000

We have a new wrinkle in the war of words between Billy Corgan and Soundgarden. In a new interview, Chris Cornell says that he believes the Smashing Pumpkins frontman owes him money.

The debt is not in a literal sense, but rather the result of a favor Cornell did for the Pumpkins in the early days. “When Billy Corgan was completely broke," Cornell told ABC News Radio, "I got him a movie deal with Cameron Crowe where he made $40,000. He was very happy about that, and he was specifically happy about the $40,000. So next time you see him, tell him owes me my $40,000 back.”

We presume Cornell is referring to the Pumpkins' song 'Drown,' which was featured in Crowe's 1992 film 'Singles' and included on its soundtrack. The multi-platinum album helped expose Smashing Pumpkins' music to a large audience just as alternative music was making its way into the mainstream. Cornell had two songs on the soundtrack, 'Seasons,' a solo performance, and Soundgarden's 'Birth Ritual.'

The two had previously been friends, brought together perhaps by their rise to fame at roughly the same time and the fact that their last names begin with the same three letters. But in August, Corgan, who is not a jukebox, said that Soundgarden's reunion was motivated entirely by profit to capitalize on their fans' desire for nostalgia. Corgan later stated that he made those comments because he was hurt by something Cornell said about him back in 2007. So, with Cornell asking for the $40,000, maybe Corgan has a point.

Soundgarden's new album, 'King Animal,' was released today (Nov. 13).
http://diffuser.fm/chris-cornell-billy-corgan-owes-40k/

Old 03-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #6
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

That’s my point ?

Old 03-15-2018, 02:41 PM   #7
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

I remember expecting Billy to say something; particularly given that he wrote a fairly heartfelt tribute to Scott Weiland in 2015.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:30 PM   #8
Cool As Ice Cream

DISGUISING NRCIARCISIMIS RUNK AMONK

Old 03-15-2018, 03:41 PM   #9
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

i noticed. i've accepted BC for who he is and don't try to understand his actions (or lack thereof) anymore. he has his own motivations and we are not in his head, so it's pointless to project what you wanted him to say onto BC. he didn't say it, so what.

having said that, he's still an unbelievable POS for many other reasons.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #10
FoolofaTook

Pennis On Strike?

Old 03-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #11
Cool As Ice Cream

pennis not errect