Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 11-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #61
slunken
Virgo

Red bull you could at least reply to my pm's

Old 11-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #62
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

for slunken i'll make a mix tape full of i don't know, good shit that he'll hate because he SUCKS nah just kiddin you're alright man

Old 11-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #63
slunken
Virgo

i guess i have been black listed

Old 11-13-2013, 01:37 AM   #64
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
for D. i'll title the mixtape airborne toxic event just to get his hopes up, and then it would be a recording of someone reading that chapter of white noise
OUTSTANDING

Old 11-13-2013, 03:29 AM   #65
D.
Consume my pants.

This was like 74 mins, not 60... but I had the time to listen, so why not?

01. A good rockin' number; nothing I'd want to hear again.
02. Oh yeah, this is good. Fun stuff, smart ass lyrics. I'd be interested in hearing what else they have.
03. Whispery acoustic song. Seems like it would be good for like, a poignant moment in a sad movie but out of that context, I'm not feeling it.
04. I want to like this, same kind of fun lyrics, catchy in its own way. Not sure it's a repeat listen, though.
05. Dark synth pop-type stuff. Seems like this would be good if I'm in the mood for this type of music. Like, put on an album of this stuff and I'd be set, but individually it's okay. Yeah... I like this.
06. Very familiar start to the song, but soon realize it's not a familiar song to me. Dude's vocals remind me of Beat Happening's "Indian Summer". So, yeah, I like this.
07. Mumbly, lo-fi. Not bad. Y'know this sounds like Moby doing some kind of self-conscious side project in his New York apartment or something. I'm sure it's someone with more cred than him but that's what strikes me. I like this but I wonder if I'd like any more from whoever this is. I like the lyrics, he's like bitching about the city he lives in and it's hilarious.
08. Another song that starts out familiar, but I don't know it. This is probably a horrible comparison but the vocals sound like a mix between Bowie and Robert Pollard but maybe if two people were imitating them? It's good, though, mellow, I can dig it.
09. I don't even know what an accurate description of this would be - elements of acoustic guitar, interesting vocals. Not sure I'd want to hear this guy for more than one song but this is nice.
10. OH SHIT TIME TO DANCE SON GET FUNKY. Love the horns. This is either from the 80's or someone parodying the 80's. "Put the boogie in your butt." This is pretty funny. This guy kind of sounds like Eddie Murphy? It's like the donkey from Shrek is talking and then starts rapping.
11. I don't even know. Ragtime jazz? Not sure I'd listen to this on purpose but it's definitely... interesting?
12. AW FUCK YEAH SNOT PUNK
13. Something about this song is not hitting me right.
14. Ahh, Joanna Newsom. So good in small doses.
15. I like the sound of this; wouldn't mind hearing more.
16. Love how this sounds. Want to hear more.
17. Detached ironic lyrics but kind of sounds put on or self-concious. The song itself is okay. Might be cautiously optimistic to hear more.
18. Kind of sounds like Ben Folds, for whom I have a weird distate. It's okay, though, I guess. Not really my type of music, though.

5.5 hot dogs out of ten eyeballs

Old 11-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #66
redbull
Immortal

review of mix!

01. is this from the Donkey Kong 64 soundtrack? fucking nice
02. continues in the same vibe from t01, kind of sounds like Dead Can Dance with a casio? pretty nice climax
03. nice chilled out acoustic song, really digging the banjo and slide on this
04. finally some electric guitars! nice post-punky groove here and the guy is singing in spanish. this reminds me a good bit of echo & the bunnymen
05. quiet song! I like the loud/quiet/loud method of mix-making a bunch. this is however not a song I would go back to -- a little to major key / pop for current tastes
06. this is psychedelic as fuck, love the sitar, but dislike the vocal. still digging this the most of any song thus far. "i'll slit your fucking throat, you whore" this is AWESOME
07. this is a cover of one my favorite songs, Angeles by Elliot Smith. a pretty good cover that surprisingly doesn't rely on the speedy acoustic guitar line and lets the vocal melodies stand out. I like this a lot.
08. island music! enjoyable but sort of sounds like a drunken barenaked ladies and may / may not be filler. I would like this more if I understood the lyrics
09. I'm a pretty bad sucker for slide guitars so this is great. the upwards moving violin around 1:30 is really really nice!
10. Jana Hunter? this person has a really wonderful voice. terrific organ on this track. narrowly beats out track 6 for favorite song.
11. short, haunting classic instrumental. really wish this were longer.
12. more countryish stuff. the beginning segment doesn't really do it for me, but the loud section in the middle FUCKING SLAYS, it's like a heavier Grateful Dead with the twin guitars. fucking epic.
13. nice to have some more uptempo stuff, another person with a great voice in a mix full of them -- liking the glossier production in contrast to a lot of the more lo-fi on here. nice banjo / handclap section too
14. this is sort of the last song since track 15 is like 45 seconds long. this feels like an 80s movie soundtrack or maybe something from twin peaks, which isn't bad at all. the guy's voice is super breathy but really low, which actually works. one of the better tracks here.
15. heavy metal machine v1 alternate mix cover by redbreegull. YES.

in general, loving the chilled out/country vibes on this mix - it needs one or two more loud songs in the first half to really get me going, but overall 7/10

Old 11-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #67
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Glad you had an overall positive experience listening redbull. I was a little nervous when I found out you got my mix cause your taste is like cool or whatever. also I thought I was taking a risk by going heavy on the americana/roots sounding stuff cause no one is ever into that here when I post about bands in that vein

1. Banjo Overture - Grant Kirkhope from the opening sequence of Banjo-Kazooie.

2. Jerusalem - Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. Jerusalem is a poem written by William Blake and later put to music which has become a patriotic, nationalistic song in England. Commonly sung in English churches I believe. Sweet keys courtesy of Keith Emerson.

3. Andrew and Emma - Heirlooms of August. This band is the personal project of longtime bassist for Red House painters/Mark Kozelek, Jerry Vessel. The band is on Kozelek's label.

4. Mapas - Vetusta Morla. Spanish indie band that my friend got into when she lived there. They have a pretty good album called the same thing as this song. It reminds me of Radiohead a lot.

5. Belly of June - Horsefeathers. Just some indie folk/country band I was into for awhile in college with a few good songs. The guy has a real nice voice IMO.

6. Canada - DEERPEOPLE. This band was featured on Waffles back before I fucked up my torrents and got my account locked.

7. Angeles - Jensen Ackles & Steve Carlson. I dunno who Carlson is, but Jensen Ackles, the guy singing, is the actor who plays the bro/dick brother on Supernatural.... yep.

8. Jaliba Kuyateh - I don't know the name of this song. Jaliba is the most popular musician in the Gambia (other than Celine Dion). He's very well known in West Africa and plays the kora, a 21 stringed instrument made out of animal sinew and the husk of a big melon. The language is Mandinka. Doesn't fit the mix in hindsight but I was itching to throw in some weird stuff.

9. Tuesday - The Everybodyfields. redbull got me into this band coincidentally, which I didn't think of til he said he was reviewing my mix. He posted their cover of Today years ago and I have loved them ever since, and seen Jill Andrews (the chick singer, the band is no longer together) live a buttload of times. one of my favorites. Actually if memory serves, redbull put that cover on his mix from the last exchange.

10. Civilian - Wye Oak. Indie folk/alternative outfit from Baltimore. Jenn Wasner is the singer, guitarist, and primary songwriter. She just plays with one dude on the drums. They make a FUCK ton of noise live for two people.

11. Shenandoah (sometimes known by slight titular variants) is a traditional American folk song which dates back to the 17th century. It has several sets of lyrics but this instrumental comes from the soundtrack of the Ken Burns documentary on the Civil War.

12. Magnolia Mountain - Ryan Adams and the Cardinals. Extended live/jam version from the Avatar Sessions. There is a great video of them recording this on youtube.

13. Trains - Porcupine Tree. my favorite song by them. I also love the eastern sounding mid section with the claps.

14. Lost - The Church. to be honest I had run out of inspiration but needed another song to get to an hour long. I went into the post youtube videos shut up and jerk off thread and noyen had posted this. I liked it a lot and downloaded the album. It strikes me as being like the Byrds meets Pink Floyd meets the Police.

15. Heavy Metal Machine v1 alt mix - redbreegull and 28if. Years ago I posted here asking for help with a faulty PA head unit I had purchased used. When I plugged my acoustic into it, it made this terrible buzzy distorted noise. I said it sounded like the Machina guitar tone and I was asked to record a cover of HMM v1 alt mix. 28if did the beat boxing and I rocked that shit. No one responded to my thread after that and I have always been bitter my joke went unappreciated.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #68
redbull
Immortal

I was actually the person who suggested recording the HMM v1 cover, sorry I never responded. I should have known track 12 was Ryan Adams due to the Dead influence

Old 11-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #69
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I was actually the person who suggested recording the HMM v1 cover, sorry I never responded.
I suspected as much since you knew what it was. and no worries, it was just a stupid joke to occupy me when I was bored and stoned

Old 11-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #70
TheDeuce
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
This was like 74 mins, not 60... but I had the time to listen, so why not?

01. A good rockin' number; nothing I'd want to hear again.
02. Oh yeah, this is good. Fun stuff, smart ass lyrics. I'd be interested in hearing what else they have.
03. Whispery acoustic song. Seems like it would be good for like, a poignant moment in a sad movie but out of that context, I'm not feeling it.
04. I want to like this, same kind of fun lyrics, catchy in its own way. Not sure it's a repeat listen, though.
05. Dark synth pop-type stuff. Seems like this would be good if I'm in the mood for this type of music. Like, put on an album of this stuff and I'd be set, but individually it's okay. Yeah... I like this.
06. Very familiar start to the song, but soon realize it's not a familiar song to me. Dude's vocals remind me of Beat Happening's "Indian Summer". So, yeah, I like this.
07. Mumbly, lo-fi. Not bad. Y'know this sounds like Moby doing some kind of self-conscious side project in his New York apartment or something. I'm sure it's someone with more cred than him but that's what strikes me. I like this but I wonder if I'd like any more from whoever this is. I like the lyrics, he's like bitching about the city he lives in and it's hilarious.
08. Another song that starts out familiar, but I don't know it. This is probably a horrible comparison but the vocals sound like a mix between Bowie and Robert Pollard but maybe if two people were imitating them? It's good, though, mellow, I can dig it.
09. I don't even know what an accurate description of this would be - elements of acoustic guitar, interesting vocals. Not sure I'd want to hear this guy for more than one song but this is nice.
10. OH SHIT TIME TO DANCE SON GET FUNKY. Love the horns. This is either from the 80's or someone parodying the 80's. "Put the boogie in your butt." This is pretty funny. This guy kind of sounds like Eddie Murphy? It's like the donkey from Shrek is talking and then starts rapping.
11. I don't even know. Ragtime jazz? Not sure I'd listen to this on purpose but it's definitely... interesting?
12. AW FUCK YEAH SNOT PUNK
13. Something about this song is not hitting me right.
14. Ahh, Joanna Newsom. So good in small doses.
15. I like the sound of this; wouldn't mind hearing more.
16. Love how this sounds. Want to hear more.
17. Detached ironic lyrics but kind of sounds put on or self-concious. The song itself is okay. Might be cautiously optimistic to hear more.
18. Kind of sounds like Ben Folds, for whom I have a weird distate. It's okay, though, I guess. Not really my type of music, though.

5.5 hot dogs out of ten eyeballs
1. Arizona Waiting by Dinosaur Pile-Up from Nature Nurture (2013)
these guys are outta england, i don't think their stuff's been released here in the states even. this is the opening track to their second album. the guy's basically making a career out of rewriting The Colour and The Shape, but i really like them.
https://soundcloud.com/dinosaur-pile-up

2. Skeleton by The Front Bottoms from Talon Of The Hawk (2013)
my wife heard this on the college station here in town and turned me on to it. awesome, fun song. the album's more folky than i expected.
http://thefrontbottoms.bandcamp.com/

3. The Absentee by Spokane from The Proud Graduates (2001)
the first time we did this exchange Low was included on the mix i got and i'd never heard of them. years later i got into Spokane, and the dude's other band, Drunk, and I thought I'd ******* a song from them on my mix, since they were kinda in the same vein as Low. this is one of their more upbeat songs.

4. The Trash The Trash The Trash by Jeff Rosenstock from I Look Like Shit (2012)
from the first solo album by the lead singer of Bomb The Music Industry! and The Arrogant Sons Of Bitches. he's easily my favorite lyricist these days. this song really sounds just like BTMI. he has the album up for free on his site.
http://quoteunquoterecords.com/qur061.htm

5. Johnny And Mary by Robert Palmer from Clues (1980)
robert palmer's more known for his hits Addicted To Love and Simply Irresistible with those chicks in the videos in the 80's. i heard Placebo's cover of this song years ago and really liked it. In the past year or so i heard the title song from this record (which is also really, REALLY good) and heard the rest of the album. while the whole thing isn't very... cohesive (it's all over the place for just 8 tracks) i really liked those two songs and thought i'd ******* one.

6. Love Travels Faster by Calvin Johnson from Calvin Johnson & The Sons Of The Soil (2007)
it IS the the dude from Beat Happening. i more came into him from One Foot In The Grave and him producing the early Modest Mouse records. this is really cool song by him, glad you liked it.

7. The World Is Not Against You by Major Matt Mason USA from Bad People Rule The World (2004)
i went to see Jeffrey Lewis a few weeks ago and a band called Schwervon! was opening for him. They were really good and rockin'. Major Matt Mason USA is the lead singer's solo stuff. this song was stuck in my head forever after hearing it.
http://majormattmasonusa.bandcamp.co...rule-the-world
http://schwervon.com/

8. That's Entertainment by The Jam from Sound Affects (1980)
just heard this one recently. and it's funny, 'cause it was included on the mix that was sent to me! The Jam's cool.

9. The Middle by Liam Lynch from The Middle (2011)
i've been a big fan of Liam Lynch for a while now. he's the guy that did the song United States Of Whatever and created the show Sifl & Olly. He's put out 5 albums of serious songs though, and that's where the good stuff's at. this song is from his latest. i'd say his best album is We're All Nighters though, maybe i should've included a song from that. his stuff's really only available digitally. and he has no real site to promote it. so here's a link to a torrent i made.
http://thepiratebay.sx/torrent/87594..._-_Discography

10. Boogie In Your Butt by Eddie Murphy from Eddie Murphy (1982)
it is Eddie!

11. The Fireface by The Parov Sterlar Trio from The Invisible Girl (2013)
i've really liked this song recently. Eddie was supposed to get you ready for it.

12. 9/11 Was (An Inside Joke) by Star Fucking Hipsters from Until We're Dead (2008)
lead singer of Leftover Crack and Choking Victim's latest band. i didn't like them at first, but i do now.

13. Simple Math by Manchester Orchestra from Simple Math (2011)
saw this song with the video. really liked it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaMiVDZu_T4

14. Peach, Plum, Pear by Joanna Newsom from The Milk-Eyed Mender (2004)
this is actually the only song i really know by her. hehe. someone i know played this on their radio show and i really liked it and ended up covering it.

15. SETI Vs. The Wow! Signal by The Dandy Warhols from This Machine (2012)
one of my favorite songs from the latest Dandy's record. i've been into these guys for ever. just recently saw them in Denver and got to meet 'em afterwards. good people.

16. Valley by Night Cadet from Valley [Single] (2013)
my wife and I went to see S. (Jenn Ghetto of Carrisa's Wierd) play and these guys opened for her. all their stuff is in this vein and you'd probably like it. they put on a great show.
http://nightcadet.com/

17. Kicking Me Out Of The Band by Sean Nelson from Make Good Choices (2013)
Sean Nelson was the lead singer of Harvey Danger and was in The Long Winters. he recently put out his first solo album. i think this song is about him and the long winters guy. i really like his lyrics a lot, he's up there with Jeff Rosenstock as one of my favorites. i almost put on on the song Shark, 'cause it's my favorite, but it's only a demo.
live version of shark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPasiK_3QeY

18. On Your way by Michael Penn from Girls, Volume One [Soundtrack] (2013)
Michael Penn is Sean Penn's brother and he's been putting out music since the 80's. he hasn't had a proper album in a long time now. he has been scoring the show Girls though, and he had a new song on the soundtrack that came out for it. his stuff can be very Beatle-esque. my favorite album is Resigned.

sorry the mix was just half good (or a little over ), but i'm glad you got some good songs out of it! i included some links to some of the harder to find stuff, but if you want me to hook you up with anything from anyone, i have it. rock on!

Last edited by TheDeuce : 11-14-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #71
D.
Consume my pants.

Thank you very much for the time and effort and the links!

Old 11-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #72
redbreegull

sorry guys I have been crazy busy, my review won't be up til sunday night.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:07 AM   #73
slunken
Virgo

my review of a collection of songs.

grading scale:
yea
eh
meh
nah

1. i don't mind this. its not obnoxious. tropical environment samples are always a nice touch. not really moved either way. right when i get to the point where i think i'm just going to listen to the layers build up it cuts out. eh.

2. so sick of this squealy synth noise (not just in this song but in general i mean). leave the pitch wheel alone. background harmony vox @ 2:00 reminds me of wu lyf. i'm a sucker for falsettos. sounds like something a girlfriend would try to turn me on to. oh dope handclaps i am a sucker for those too. meh.

3. i know what this is instantly from the first note. i am in love. props for using the full original version whether intentional or not. yea.

4. terrible segue from the previous song to this. this is awful. nah.

5. another horrible segue. what the fuck is this i feel like i clicked the wrong button on youtube or something. is this mxpx or something? what the fuck. nah.

6. no flow at all. completely gone. this is a nice song but i'm weary about 5+ minutes of it. oh wait the song just restarted and doubled up at 1 minute in oh great now it sucks. pretty sure my ex-girlfriend tried to get me to listen to this. is this cold war kids or something? "it rocks me like a lullabye" is the lyric. the band should have stuck with the lullabye version in the first minute and called it a day. leave it up to a dude to ruin something. this kind of music reminds me of those rap-pop mid-90s groups like that band that does "butterfly". this is fucking horrible even that mxpx song was better than this and that one sucked. nah.

7. anything would be a breath of fresh hair after that last one. thank god for this track containing some maturity. can not/will not slag. love the "room vocals". yea.

8. longest song on the "collection of songs". better take a break. alternating shouting boy-girl vocals are just no. unless you're a hardcore band and this is 2002 then NO. i do not like this song. musical schizophrenia. awful horrible nah. this is what i think mindless self indulgence sounds like. the quiet parts and the harmonies are actually pretty nice but the rest of it is ruined with the horribly mixed guitar and the effects they run on it. music like this hurts me to listen to you guys are you trying to hurt me? i will not skip any tracks but for fucks sake am i just getting old? i wonder how many times they are going to use the loud/quiet dynamic in one song? nice acapella at the end. i like that kind of stuff- production-wise. nah.

9. lol modest mouse. i used to ride so hard for this band i had to stop listening (around 2003). since they're out of the rotation it's always a pleasure to hear one of their songs. i really really really really like this album/song and i'm not going to be all like "wtf you picked the obvious single uuuggghhhh". yea.

10. wait a minute i know this one too its ummmmm hahahahahaha. nice. whistles. i love you. yea. if the next song is nirvana we're done here, however. this would have been the ideal song to end on. collection of songs should end here. invites a 2nd listen.

11. not obnoxious. as the 3rd longest track on the collection of songs though it's too long for what it is. meh.

12. if i was a different person living a different life i would probably love this and i really should but its just not my cup of tea. is this jeff magnum i assume? eh.

13. im a little intrigued by this ???? yea. the production is just. yea. the group room vocals? yea. i hope i don't find out its conner oberst or something.

14. should have ended on the song prior. or these last two songs should have been switched. let's hear it for 3rd generation indie rock. this was one of their few ok songs before…well you know before it all just turned to absolute garbage/a joke. i remember trying to like this but i was just done with that phase of music at the time.

this concludes my review of songs from the collection of songs i was sent. it feels weird because i am unable to review anything the user has done, just their taste in song choices and that seems unfair because the person that put this collection of songs together did not make the songs. does that make sense? i am not sure what is to be gained from all of this.

its not too difficult to figure out who made this so i'm not trying to be offensive/a jerk and i hope you don't take it personally. like i said - you didn't make any of these songs so who cares? if i was a girl i would still want to date you solely based on this (probably). i like some songs and i don't like some other songs. thank you for sending me some songs. would really like to know more about track 13.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #74
redbull
Immortal

it was a mix I originally made for my girlfriend who knows nothing about music so I hope that explains the randomness / poor segues

01. Clams Casino - Motivation
02. M83 - Don't Save Us from the Flames
03. Velvet Underground - Rock & Roll
04. Good Night & Good Morning - Philadelphia
05. Braid - First Day Back
06. Tune-Yards - Powa
07. Herman Dune - Show Me the Roof
08. Ponytail - Celebrate the Body Electric
09. Modest Mouse - Gravity Rides Everything
10. Pixies - La La Love You
11, Deerhunter - Nothing Ever Happened
12. Beirut - Postcards From Italy
13. My Head in Clouds - Donut Run
14. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth

Old 11-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #75
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
it was a mix I originally made for my girlfriend
yea totally called it

tell me more about track 13 though i liked that

edit: oh man - braid that takes me back

and track 6 - tuneyards my ex-g/f did try to get me to listen to her i guess that's why it was sticking in my head

Old 11-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #76
slunken
Virgo

the weird part is taht at one time i loved probably 85% of what's on that list.

when the fuck did m83 start doing songs with words?

Old 11-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #77
redbull
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
yea totally called it

tell me more about track 13 though i liked that

edit: oh man - braid that takes me back

and track 6 - tuneyards my ex-g/f did try to get me to listen to her i guess that's why it was sticking in my head
they were a short-lived screamo band from northwest indiana, only released five songs. If you dug that I'd recommend checking out stuff that falls under the "twinkle" genre -- I have to leave for work in 10 minutes but I can send you more in that vein when I get home in like 5 hours. and Braid is local to my area so I have a big hardon for them

Old 11-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #78
slunken
Virgo

yea send me those "my head in clouds" 5 songs if you have them

i looooove short-lived screamo bands.

my thing with braid was when i went to art school a lot of people i respected who knew i liked modest mouse/built to spill tried to get me into braid but i just couldn't do it.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #79
slunken
Virgo

also its funny you say they are from indiana - the first thing that popped in my head when i heard it was "defiance, oh" and that scene.

bloomington, i presume?

Old 11-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #80
Trotskilicious
Banned

god damn slunken you hate on nothing ever happened !?!?! TOO LONG !?!?!? PHILISTINE !?!L!L!!

Old 11-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #81
Trotskilicious
Banned

i'd neg rep you for tuneyards redbull but i already repped you for something

Old 11-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #82
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
god damn slunken you hate on nothing ever happened !?!?! TOO LONG !?!?!? PHILISTINE !?!L!L!!
i didn't hate it i just wish it were a bit more succinct.

RB - all the "head in clouds" links i could find were dead. been jamming 2009 demos from a group called "the exploration" all day.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #83
slunken
Virgo

then again i didn't love it either - i just wasn't moved either way other than the length

Old 11-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #84
Trotskilicious
Banned

well it's deliberately got a very long outro because they go buckwile with it live

i really really really really love that outro

Old 11-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #85
slunken
Virgo

pounds chest

Old 11-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #86
TheDeuce
Apocalyptic Poster

sorry it took me so long to review my mix. i was listening to it over and over in my car to get familiar with it.

track 1: i really, really like this song. basically everything about it. i'm gonna be checking out whoever this is.

track 2: i like this one a lot too. cool feel. i like the build-up at the end. gonna check this band out.

track 3: i don't really care for this one so much. it's really quiet in the car! the lead guitar's kinda cool, and i like the last minute or two. i don't like the chicks vocals and the song basically drags while she's singing though.

track 4: sounds like more recent murder by death. i'm more of a fan of their earlier records before dude started singing like johnny cash. good song though. makes me wanna listen to their most recent one.

track 5: i like this one. i'll probably check 'em out. sounds kinda familiar. real cool chorus and i like the guys voice and lyrics.

track 6: i wanted to like this one, but ultimately did not. the verses are cool though.

track 7: this one i liked a bit, but i probably won't look more into. i like his voice but the song felt a little repetitive.

track 8: i like the wall of noise i'm greeted with at the beginning. i like the big, loud parts a lot, but overall the song didn't do much for me. may check 'em out though to see what else is there.

track 9: That's Entertainment! So cool that this was on here. i put it on my mix too. hehe.

track 10: pretty cool, lo-fi sounding track. i like the guitar sound. catchy. may look into it.

track 11: i liked this one. really sets a mood with some cool lyrics. likely check 'em out.

track 12: really enjoyed this one. really fits in with a lot of stuff i've been listening to recently. will be getting this for sure.

track 13: this one's ok. i feel like i should know who it is. sometimes i dig on it, sometimes i'm indifferent.

track 14: this tracks not offensive or anything, but it just didn't stick for me. i like the slide guitar.

thanks for making the mix! i really enjoyed checking out all of the tracks and liked the cd overall. my favorite were 1, 2, and 12.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:00 AM   #87
Mo
Immortal

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
track 1: i really, really like this song. basically everything about it. i'm gonna be checking out whoever this is.
Two Gallants - Halycon Days
It's the opener to their last record, and I thought it would make a nice first track on my mix as well. I love the production, the rawness of it all, and Adam's voice and lyrics are just perfect.

Quote:
track 2: i like this one a lot too. cool feel. i like the build-up at the end. gonna check this band out.
Spoon - My Mathematical Mind
I think I first heard this song on some soundtrack a few years ago and really got into their music after that.

Quote:
track 3: i don't really care for this one so much. it's really quiet in the car! the lead guitar's kinda cool, and i like the last minute or two. i don't like the chicks vocals and the song basically drags while she's singing though.
Crippled Black Phoenix - Of A Lifetime
One of my favourite bands at the moment, but I'm afraid I chose the wrong song of theirs to show their full potential. But I was running out of time, 60 minutes are not nearly enough.

Quote:
track 4: sounds like more recent murder by death. i'm more of a fan of their earlier records before dude started singing like johnny cash. good song though. makes me wanna listen to their most recent one.
Murder by Death - Lost River
You were absolutely right. Until recently I couldn't into anything by them after "Like The Exorcist But More Breakdancing", because, like you, I wasn't too much into his Cash-voice. But alas, I was wrong. Check out their latest record, it's amazing.
Sadly they don't play anything off "Exorcist" live any more these days.

Quote:
track 5: i like this one. i'll probably check 'em out. sounds kinda familiar. real cool chorus and i like the guys voice and lyrics.
Califone - Bottles & Bones (Shade & Sympathy)
One of my favourite tracks, period. There's just something about the emotion it conveys that gets to me. Makes me shiver every time I listen to it.

Quote:
track 6: i wanted to like this one, but ultimately did not. the verses are cool though.
Mastodon - Octopus Has No Friends
I am not at all surprised you didn't react well to this one. My original tape was almost three hours long, and I decided to cut everything hip hop-y and metal-y except for this track. It makes me happy, though, and there's not better band to get you pumped when you need to be.

Quote:
track 7: this one i liked a bit, but i probably won't look more into. i like his voice but the song felt a little repetitive.
The Low Anthem - To Ohio
I love falling asleep to their music, it soothes my soul.

Quote:
track 8: i like the wall of noise i'm greeted with at the beginning. i like the big, loud parts a lot, but overall the song didn't do much for me. may check 'em out though to see what else is there.
The Twilight Sad - Talking With Fireworks / Here, It Never Snowed
I wasn't sure which song of theirs I wanted to put on this tape, so I picked the one that originally got me to listen to more of them. I just can't get over how well his Scottish accent goes with their overall sound. Do yourself a favour and listen to their newer stuff, it's magnificent.

Quote:
track 9: That's Entertainment! So cool that this was on here. i put it on my mix too. hehe.
The Jam - That's Entertainment (Demo)

Quote:
track 10: pretty cool, lo-fi sounding track. i like the guitar sound. catchy. may look into it.
Dinosaur Jr - Rude
One of the few post-reunion song of theirs that doesn't have J Mascis on vocals. I love it - it's short, sweet and simple. Perfectly to the point, doesn't fuck around.

Quote:
track 11: i liked this one. really sets a mood with some cool lyrics. likely check 'em out.
J Mascis - Can I
J Mascis' solo work is even better (although more reduced and laid-back) than what he's doing with Dinosaur Jr, and his most recent one, "Several Shades Of Why", might just be my favourite album of the last decade. Pure bliss.

Quote:
track 12: really enjoyed this one. really fits in with a lot of stuff i've been listening to recently. will be getting this for sure.
Supergrass - Caught By The Fuzz
A classic. I had been watching Hot Fuzz for the millionth time before making your mix, so of course I had to ******* this one.

Quote:
track 13: this one's ok. i feel like i should know who it is. sometimes i dig on it, sometimes i'm indifferent.
Wilco - Everlasting Everything
My original closer.

Quote:
track 14: this tracks not offensive or anything, but it just didn't stick for me. i like the slide guitar.

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - I'll Be Glad

Nothing weird, nothing special. Just a nice little track that's dear to my heart.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:03 AM   #88
Mo
Immortal

To however did my mix: I adore it, and absolutely love listening to it on my way to/from work; but I won't be able to post my review until tonight.
The girlfriend and I are in the process of finishing renovations at our new apartment right now, packing everything up and moving - I apologize for being so late.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #89
redbull
Immortal

hey y'all sorry I haven't been around...slunken i'm about to up those tracks tonight

Old 11-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #90
TheDeuce
Apocalyptic Poster

there where only 3 bands i didn't feel like checking out on my mix in the end. so pretty cool.