Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
T&T
Socialphobic

Default When's billy gonna give up

Seeing Jeff in the studio is a clear indicator that the next album is gonna be another flop.

When is billy just gonna pack it up and give up with the music?

I wish it was in 2000, but I'll accept 2018.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:09 AM   #2
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

funny to see the biggest fans become the biggest haters. myself included. perhaps we expected too much from billy.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:15 AM   #3
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I don't like or listen to his new material, but I don't personally hope he gives up doing whatever the fuck he gets fulfillment doing just because it doesn't appeal to me.

I mean, it's not like I'm forced to listen to it or anything.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #4
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

I've thought about making this thread recently. Everything he has done this last decade has been completely backwards. Nothing feels like a band and none of it feels truly finished. This is something that has gotten worse as time has gone on. He really is a genius in need of an editor. I think he is still capable of writing good material. Oceania had a lot of potential, but the drumming (Byrne/samples/production), lack of fully realized sonic conclusions and those god-awful keyboard tones ruin it. That's something that has plagued Billy for ten years now and they were outdated when he started Teargarden. I can’t say I have zero interest because even though I know it will suck (even a full reunion/too many negative factors) but I still want to see what happens. It’s more “gawk at the car wreck” than any type of legitimate enjoyment or emotional investment. My biggest gripe is that I can still hear brilliance in him. His execution has just been so terrible that he’s unredeemable now.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #5
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Just distance yourself from Bill and his work. Go in with no expectations rather than repeatedly checking for updates while telling yourself it's going to suck for two years before you arrive at a foregone conclusion.

I don't see Jeff's presence in the studio as any kind of indicator of quality, better or worse, because he IS the hired gun people like to make James and D'Arcy out to be.

Anyway, I don't think anybody hereabouts could accurately describe what they would estimate to be a "good" SP album in this day and age, knows what it would entail, and certainly wouldn't agree with anyone else on said criteria.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:28 PM   #6
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm not saying "be optimistic" because the last ten years haven't given much of any reason to be, but having Jimmy and James present has to count for something.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:42 PM   #7
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

I get where you are coming from but I do this with other bands (endless following of social media) and they rarely disappoint me like Billy/Pumpkins.

I heavily dislike Jeff as a guitarist. He is technically proficient but his lack of character is undeniable. Every concert I went to he just clashed so hard with Billy’s style. I don’t care for James’ playing all that much either, though. Seeing Jeff there contributing to whatever this is, is a bad sign for me. Him being a hired gun is one of the other big problems. Jeff doesn’t challenge Billy, but I guess you could argue that Billy is beyond being challengeable at this point. That is the main reason he will never have another real band. He can do no wrong in his eyes, I mean he though Run2Me was releasable.

Obviously, everyone will have their own opinions but I believe we can agree that having Jimmy onboard, a good bassist, a real producer, fully realized songs, absolutely no keyboards would be one hell of a start.

Please just give me the MASCHINA reissue.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:45 PM   #8
Candy Cane
Demi-God

Location: Where the willows weep and the whirpools sleep you'll find me.

http://www.hownottobehacked.com/wp-c...9.52.06-PM.png

Old 01-18-2018, 01:13 PM   #9
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

I think there's a chance Billy actually might be a bit more open to being challenged nowadays - he might be in a space where he might feel he needs band validation to continue with the SP name.

Because I think MTAE failing as hard as it did fucked him up way way worse than anyone realized. Not only did he gain a shit ton of weight like he did after Gish, he basically started through stages of grief. Denial, anger, "nobody believes I made a three star record". You could call what's been happening since the Plainsong tour and currently bargaining and acceptance.

When you look at the shit ton of songs he wrote in 1998-2000 about his band falling apart and ending - more than a handful - it's obvious his music is something that means a lot to him. I think he finally realized he ran the SP name into the ground when MTAE failed to make any kind of impression whatsoever and it broke him for a while, hence wilderness years of synth experiments because he had no idea what else to do and just needed to try something different.

Yeah, I don't think he's ever going to hang it up or that he'd know how to.

I'd really like to think D'Arcy's present via Skype calls or whathaveyou and she's offering input even if she's not with them in the studio. She'd probably go "fuck it, what do you need me for, you can perform the bass parts".

Old 01-18-2018, 02:03 PM   #10
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Putting the blame on Jeff is ridiculous. If it sucks it's because Billy's lost the heartfires. No amount of Jimmy Jamez or even Darcy contributing will change that.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #11
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
funny to see the biggest fans become the biggest haters. myself included. perhaps we expected too much from billy.
Netphoria in a nutshell. We got too attached. Then letdown.

Thank god I have this one band from Tokyo that never disappoints!

Old 01-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #12
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

don't tell me don't tell me don't tell me... Yellow Light Orchestra?

Old 01-18-2018, 02:30 PM   #13
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
MTAE failed to make any kind of impression whatsoever
it made an impression, that billy has some of the worst taste when left to his own devices.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:34 PM   #14
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
it made an impression, that billy has some of the worst taste when left to his own devices.
HOWARD WILLING and JEFF SCHROEDER were co-producers...

Old 01-18-2018, 02:36 PM   #15
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
HOWARD WILLING and JEFF SCHROEDER were co-producers...
I think wheat paste was also one of the co-producers

the fucking idiot's lead single was called "being beige". Seriously? he's in a rock band and he thinks being bland is a viable option? Bland doesn't even cut it for tommy-lee dad rock. All the drugs have really turned on him. poor billy.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #16
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

BILLY should make a song about "Being Bald"...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....11b368w9KL.jpg

Old 01-18-2018, 03:13 PM   #17
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

We brought this up in another thread but Billy just takes the sucking to a whole new level. Imagine Black Sabbath making bad happy acoustic guitar music in their post-successful career. Billy was a ferocious guitar monster during the era of guitar revival. He was Zero, he was Glass, hell he was still Billy. Why can't he just stop at putting out shitty songs? Why does he have to make shitty anemic circus sounding music? Some of his SP2 material makes Queen look like Doom Metal.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:29 PM   #18
Shallowed
Braindead

Jeff has been working with Billy almost as long as James had in the original incarnation of the band.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:55 PM   #19
House of Bread
FKA Siamese33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
I've thought about making this thread recently. Everything he has done this last decade has been completely backwards. Nothing feels like a band and none of it feels truly finished. This is something that has gotten worse as time has gone on. He really is a genius in need of an editor. I think he is still capable of writing good material. Oceania had a lot of potential, but the drumming (Byrne/samples/production), lack of fully realized sonic conclusions and those god-awful keyboard tones ruin it. That's something that has plagued Billy for ten years now and they were outdated when he started Teargarden. I can’t say I have zero interest because even though I know it will suck (even a full reunion/too many negative factors) but I still want to see what happens. It’s more “gawk at the car wreck” than any type of legitimate enjoyment or emotional investment. My biggest gripe is that I can still hear brilliance in him. His execution has just been so terrible that he’s unredeemable now.
Yeah, the glimmers of potential are especially maddening.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:55 PM   #20
House of Bread
FKA Siamese33

Also, I really don't think James is gonna be on whatever they're recording right now.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:50 PM   #21
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
We brought this up in another thread but Billy just takes the sucking to a whole new level. Imagine Black Sabbath making bad happy acoustic guitar music in their post-successful career. Billy was a ferocious guitar monster during the era of guitar revival. He was Zero, he was Glass, hell he was still Billy. Why can't he just stop at putting out shitty songs? Why does he have to make shitty anemic circus sounding music? Some of his SP2 material makes Queen look like Doom Metal.
dude La Dolly Vita was on one of their first singles. they've always done lovey dovey acoustic songs.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:50 PM   #22
inkless
Ownz

mtae and ogilala wasn t so bad

Old 01-18-2018, 04:51 PM   #23
Shallowed
Braindead

also "Changes" is a thing

Old 01-18-2018, 04:57 PM   #24
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

IMHO Billy's problems could be solved if he'd simply follow his artistic muse and let the cards fall as they may. The problem is that he's internalized the music industry to the point where he doesn't even need a label executive to crush his own dreams.

He gave up this attitude briefly with the recording Ogilala, but it looks like he's already back on his old shit. Howard and Jeff do not improve his music. They're employees of Billy the Music Industry Man.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:04 PM   #25
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
also "Changes" is a thing
at worst that is their "Disarm"

Old 01-18-2018, 06:07 PM   #26
FoolofaTook

I wonder if there are other boards where hardcore fanz shit on their formerly adored artist and talk about switching allegiance to a certain Japanese band.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:30 PM   #27
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

I've been under the impression that he gave up a long time ago.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 01-18-2018, 06:49 PM   #28
slunken
Virgo

my man is just punching the clock.

what else is he going to do? get a real job?

Old 01-18-2018, 07:07 PM   #29
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
I've been under the impression that he gave up a long time ago.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I gave in long ago
To make it to the show
But it's not easy
When you're alone

sine???

Old 01-18-2018, 07:35 PM   #30
ilikeplanets
Braindead

he's prob more focused on the wrestling stuff, tbh

definitely gotta be more profitable at this point