Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2002, 03:10 PM   #1
scouse_dave
Minion of Satan

Lightbulb How big must the arc have been if it contained a pair of every animal?

and how busy must noah have been to track them all down?

Old 10-04-2002, 03:11 PM   #2
beef curtains
Immortal

Talking

If the arc's a rockin' don't come a knockin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-04-2002, 03:11 PM   #3
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

http://lynx.uio.no/jon/gif/comics/loading-noahs-ark.gif

Old 10-04-2002, 03:12 PM   #4
spa ced
Braindead

Yeah that totally didn't happen.
It's impossible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No contaban con mi astucia!

Old 10-04-2002, 03:18 PM   #5
obscured01
Minion of Satan

Arrow

So God said to Noah, "I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth. 14 So make yourself an ark of cypress [3] wood; make rooms in it and coat it with pitch inside and out. 15 This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high. [4] 16 Make a roof for it and finish [5] the ark to within 18 inches [6] of the top. Put a door in the side of the ark and make lower, middle and upper decks. 17 I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish. 18 But I will establish my covenant with you, and you will enter the ark-you and your sons and your wife and your sons' wives with you. 19 You are to bring into the ark two of all living creatures, male and female, to keep them alive with you. 20 Two of every kind of bird, of every kind of animal and of every kind of creature that moves along the ground will come to you to be kept alive. 21 You are to take every kind of food that is to be eaten and store it away as food for you and for them."
22 Noah did everything just as God commanded him.

Genesis 7
1 The LORD then said to Noah, "Go into the ark, you and your whole family, because I have found you righteous in this generation. 2 Take with you seven [1] of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and two of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate, 3 and also seven of every kind of bird, male and female, to keep their various kinds alive throughout the earth. 4 Seven days from now I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights, and I will wipe from the face of the earth every living creature I have made."

Old 10-04-2002, 03:20 PM   #6
Samsa
Banned

Unhappy

it wasn't big enough for the unicorn

also apparently in the bible there's some like instructions for building a house and people have tried to use these instructions but the house always falls down it may be possible that people don't know exactly how big a cubit is? i forget but the house never stays up obviously jesus is not the son of god because jesus was a carpenter or something and god obviously isn't

Old 10-04-2002, 03:24 PM   #7
spa ced
Braindead

Blah. What a spiteful angry God.
I hate that it's humanized in the bible.

Old 10-04-2002, 03:28 PM   #8
scouse_dave
Minion of Satan

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by sp_aced
Blah. What a spiteful angry God.
keep this to yourself, bud....but the whole arc thing....it didn't happen...

Old 10-04-2002, 03:29 PM   #9
twilightfadez
Socialphobic

ask God
he's around here somewhere

//

Old 10-04-2002, 03:31 PM   #10
spa ced
Braindead

Quote:
Originally posted by scouse_dave

keep this to yourself, bud....but the whole arc thing....it didn't happen...
God needs to get some lawyers and sue Christians for libel and misrepresentation.
Oh wait, I'm humanizing God just like the Christians...booo me....

Last edited by spa ced : 10-04-2002 at 04:11 PM.

Old 10-04-2002, 03:33 PM   #11
Affect
Fuck

When I was an outspoken atheist I based my position on what I believed to be purely objective, purely secular, truly scientific teachings about the origin and nature of the cosmos, of the earth itself, and all life forms on earth.

In short, I passionately believed that the Copernican paradigm, the Big Bang paradigm, the Darwinian paradigm, and the Relativity paradigm explained all the pertinent facts related to the subjects with which they dealt.

Because of these convictions (reinforced by professors and a ton of books), I concluded that only red-necked ignorami in bib-overalls could still believe in Biblical explanations for all the origins-related phenomena (or the Koran’s explanations, for that matter). Science had turned those explanations into superstitions unbecoming to the educated mind. And that was that....

Those conclusions were logical and understandable if...I say IF the scientific models we have all been taught are: a) demonstrably true, and: b) not merely the beliefs of some religious system POSING as secular science.

Any atheist who really wants to know can find out what I (and no small number of others) are finding out about those two big IFS. Consider, if you will, these three things:

1) There is no proof...no evidence whatsoever which conclusively demonstrates that the universe and the earth and all that exists came to be via the “Big Bang” explosion of a “cosmic egg” some 15 billion years ago. There is, however, truly mountainous evidence from design alone which demands that there be a Designer. This evidence erases any possibility that everything got to be as it is by accident resulting from an explosion. Any claim that purely secular Big Bangism provides an intelligent explanation for everything that exists must depend on a logic-denying faith in the impossible, a faith which must also throw hard laws of true science to the wind.

Seeing the utter senselessness of holding on to such a concept, a modified concept retaining a belief in Big Bangism as a method of creation is frequently adopted as a compromise philosophy in this all-important matter of Origins. This concept views The Designer as something one could call God, but of a Clockwinder type who just sort of wound up the universe and man and went out to lunch and hasn’t come back. One can stop with that concept if one wants to do so. But, as we know, this is not Atheism; it is Deism or some shade of Agnosticism. Because of the insurmountable design problem, it is a reasonable step to move from Atheism to Deism. But, is it reasonable to stop at Deism or Agnosticism if one is interested in all the Truth available where this unavoidable Designer’s activities are concerned? Well...

2) Philosophically, one can only get off at Deism Junction and stay there and have no desire or intention of moving from that position if one is determined to close his mind and not have a deeper understanding of this inescapable Designer God. This determination may be rooted in some kind of feeling that if this God was a good God then there wouldn’t be wars, pain, death, etc., and, since wars, pain, and death are ever-present throughout history, this inescapable Designer God must not be good and I want nothing to do with him. Therefore, if I am intellectually forced to admit His Existence because of the ineffable and inescapable design inherent in all I can see or hear or feel or think, I will still keep Him at arms length and not let myself be suckered into believing some dumb religious explanations...and I can do this by merely adjusting my belief system to allow a god who created thru the Big Bang and Darwinian paradigms. I will dig my heels in right there....

3) Sorry. That reasoning--which has long had a certain respectability--is no longer viable for any thinking former Atheist driven to some kind of Deistic Agnosticism by the unchallengable Design=Designer conclusion. The reason why that reasoning is no longer viable is this: Big Bangism is a religious teaching found written in a “holy book” over seven hundred years before it expressed itself as “Science”! One can believe in it if one wants to, but one can not do so and still claim that this explanation for the existence of everything is a Scientific concept free from teachings out of some “religious holy book” such as the Bible creation accounts! No. That position won’t fly anymore. Why....?

Here’s why: As you can read at the link entitled: “The Spiritual Roots of NASA’s Big Bang Premise” at: www.fixedearth.com...the exact idea of modern science’s foundational Big Bang Premise for all that exists comes straight from the pen of Rabbi Ben Nachman in the 13th century and is recorded in the Kabbala. You can read about the Kabbala [Cabala] at that link. There, along with the Zohar which it incorporates, and the Talmud (HERE) which is separate but kindred in its viscous anti-Christian, anti-New Testament teachings, you will find that modern Big Bang based cosmological science IS NOT A SECULAR SCIENTIFIC CONCEPT AT ALL, BUT RATHER, IS DERIVED DIRECTLY FROM ONE BRANCH OF RABBINICAL JUDAISM TAUGHT IN THE KABBALA [CABALA]....

Old 10-04-2002, 03:35 PM   #12
scouse_dave
Minion of Satan

Thumbs down

Quote:
I was being sarcastic, brainiac.
OMG, you were kidding. well, shiiiiiiiiit.

should i laugh next time to indicate that i understood?

Old 10-04-2002, 03:44 PM   #13
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Quote:
Originally posted by obscured01
So God said to Noah, "I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth. 14 So make yourself an ark of cypress [3] wood; make rooms in it and coat it with pitch inside and out. 15 This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high. [4] 16 Make a roof for it and finish [5] the ark to within 18 inches [6] of the top. Put a door in the side of the ark and make lower, middle and upper decks. 17 I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish. 18 But I will establish my covenant with you, and you will enter the ark-you and your sons and your wife and your sons' wives with you. 19 You are to bring into the ark two of all living creatures, male and female, to keep them alive with you. 20 Two of every kind of bird, of every kind of animal and of every kind of creature that moves along the ground will come to you to be kept alive. 21 You are to take every kind of food that is to be eaten and store it away as food for you and for them."
22 Noah did everything just as God commanded him.
Nah, that's nowhere big enough for all the animals and their food. Maybe if he'd built a cruise liner...

Old 10-04-2002, 03:46 PM   #14
obscured01
Minion of Satan

Well.... maybe evolution has a part to play in the size of the animals.... hmmm.

Old 10-04-2002, 03:48 PM   #15
runs without pants
Oblivious Virgin

Angry

Maybe they made the boat a medium size, and then God shrank all the animals and stuff. Doesn't he have magical powers?

Old 10-04-2002, 03:53 PM   #16
scouse_dave
Minion of Satan

Arrow

Quote:
Why would you tell anyone to keep anything to themselves here? It's a messege board.
i have no idea on earth where you got this idea from

ya know, the funny thing is...i was actually agreeing with your original sentiments wrt god and the arc...

shame you didn't pick that up...

i'll leave the insults out...i'm not 14 anymore

Old 10-04-2002, 03:55 PM   #17
scouse_dave
Minion of Satan

Lightbulb

Quote:
Well.... maybe evolution has a part to play in the size of the animals.... hmmm.
forgetting the 'size' of the animals in each case

can you comprehend how many different types of animal there are? i guess not.

nevermind going out and catching them all

Old 10-04-2002, 03:55 PM   #18
spa ced
Braindead

Quote:
Sorry dear, but no.
There's no way they could have fit one of each species, let alone two of each, onto a ship. There's about at least a million different species of animals? If anyone has a more accuracte number, I'd love to know...

Old 10-04-2002, 04:00 PM   #19
noir cat
Socialphobic

Talking

Quote:

forgetting the 'size' of the animals in each case

can you comprehend how many different types of animal there are? i guess not.

nevermind going out and catching them all
Hey, look. Maybe this "God" guy told them all to go there or something, k?

Old 10-04-2002, 04:00 PM   #20
FearFactory
Socialphobic

Talking

There are two possible answers here.

1: Noah zipped the animals up into one large file.
2: Noah used a vaccuum bag to save space.

Old 10-04-2002, 04:03 PM   #21
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by FearFactory
There are two possible answers here.

2: Noah used a vaccuum bag to save space.
Or maybe he forced them to swim relay style, and only 50 animals were ever on the boat at any one time

Old 10-04-2002, 04:05 PM   #22
noir cat
Socialphobic

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by DeviousJ
I love your bunny avatar. I hate this UBB code shit.

Old 10-04-2002, 04:06 PM   #23
Irrelevant
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by FearFactory
hahaha. yes.

p.s. dave wtf can't you spell ark? they weren't riding around in a section of a circle, you know.

Old 10-04-2002, 04:09 PM   #24
scouse_dave
Minion of Satan

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Irrelevant
p.s. dave wtf can't you spell ark? they weren't riding around in a section of a circle, you know.
yeah...i did wonder that as i was first typing it...

my mistake

Old 10-04-2002, 04:14 PM   #25
spa ced
Braindead

Quote:

i have no idea on earth where you got this idea from

ya know, the funny thing is...i was actually agreeing with your original sentiments wrt god and the arc...

shame you didn't pick that up...

i'll leave the insults out...i'm not 14 anymore
Oh yeah, my bad.
My apologies.

Old 10-04-2002, 08:14 PM   #26
Irrelevant
Minion of Satan

Wink

Quote:
yeah...i did wonder that as i was first typing it...

my mistake
i thought it might be a british thing. heh.

Old 10-04-2002, 08:17 PM   #27
scouse_dave
Minion of Satan

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Irrelevant
i thought it might be a british thing. heh.
oh...erm...yeah..it is...

Old 10-04-2002, 08:22 PM   #28
Fattening Ass
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Exclamation

Jeff does not = Geoff.

Old 10-04-2002, 08:37 PM   #29
Affect
Fuck

The Ark measured 300x50x30 cubits (Genesis 6:15) which is about 140x23x13.5 metres or 459x75x44 feet, so its volume was 43,500 m3 (cubic metres) or 1.54 million cubic feet. To put this in perspective, this is the equivalent volume of 522 standard American railroad stock cars, each of which can hold 240 sheep.

Old 10-04-2002, 08:38 PM   #30
Affect
Fuck

Link