Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #31
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
So much hate from mainly non-musicians who know dick-all about music for a band that wrote some of the all-time classic pop songs. .

It's the kind of sentence that automatically makes you a shithead im sorry to say. and then especially since it's about the eagles.

you sure you don't want to take it back? We'll forgive you.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #32
slunken
Virgo

this rules gtfo

Old 10-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #33
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
The Eagles are fucking amazing. I know people hate them because its not their style or they are overplayed on the radio, but its like hating the Beatles. They were amazing songwriters who recorded their music perfectly. Great songwriting, melody, harmonies, and very talented musicians. So much hate from mainly non-musicians who know dick-all about music for a band that wrote some of the all-time classic pop songs. You go write a song half as good as Hotel California, Take It Easy, Take It To the Limit, or Desperado or any of that old shit. Fucking Eagles shit all over you.
Lololol. The whole "You go write a song" bullshit.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #34
Elphenor
Braindead

Bands like the Eagles only exist to highlight how shit the 70's were before punk

Old 10-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #35
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

No slunken. Just no.

So it's not Hotel California, big deal.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #36
Elphenor
Braindead

The Eagles are the Dad Rockest of the Dad Rock bands.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #37
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
Bands like the Eagles only exist to highlight how shit the 70's were before punk
A lot of people will get on your case for saying this but not me.

Like i want to disagree cause it would make me look better but can't really.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:50 PM   #38
Elphenor
Braindead

C'mon they were mostly shit

I mean in any given year there are a bunch of good bands but as a whole it sucked

Old 10-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #39
slunken
Virgo

what about steely dan do you guys hate steely dan too

Old 10-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #40
slunken
Virgo

forgot about "take it easy"

another great tune a real toe tapper

Old 10-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #41
slunken
Virgo

solid 80s song. points for sax and extended maxi-version.

song length doubles, nerds.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:31 PM   #42
Mooney
Socialphobic

Arrow

Quote:
punk didn't magically pop out of nowhere. there was a decade plus of awesome shit that culminated in punk's eighteen month hay day.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:31 PM   #43
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
what about steely dan do you guys hate steely dan too
It's not the kind of bands i ever truly gave a good listen to. There's something about the sound of 70's rock in general that just doesn't resonate with me like at all. Its like that.

Actually i know what it mainly is, it being rooted in blues or folk or both. The further rock goes from blues the better i like it. Even if i do realise really even when it thinks its far form it its not really that much.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #44
slunken
Virgo

i can feel that, actually. the california vibe, especially in the 70s, can be difficult to resonate with. it was like another planet.

what i mean is that, emotionally, so much more was happening in so many other places. 70s CA was the breeding grounds for everything horrible about the music industry.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #45
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

A friend of mine knows a 1970's groupie. She said that Don Henley has the biggest cock she's ever had.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:16 AM   #46
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Well that just changes everything.

What don henley solo record should i get first?

Old 10-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #47
slunken
Virgo

That's a fair point, I definitely think musicians judge music differently than non-musical listeners. That's not to say a non-musical listener cannot listen and appreciate certain musical qualities tho.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #48
slunken
Virgo

Reading this book on The Fall however it's easy to see how so many people could not relate at all to the fantasy that was 70s radio and disco. Most rock bands were even projecting a superficial image.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #49
slunken
Virgo

For the first time these popular acts of the time were making millions of dollars and selling out arenas which is not very working class at all

Old 10-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #50
I'm Hardcore
Banned

the sea and cake are the most 'chill' band anyway

Old 10-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #51
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Washed Out is okay. First album was better than the second. Music to grind characters in RPG video games to.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #52
Catherine Wheel
Banned

That first Washed Out album sounded like late period Roxy Music or something Bryan Ferry would have done in the 80s. Really smooth relaxing new wave.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #53
Catherine Wheel
Banned

You guys who like Washed Out might like Com Truise

Old 10-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #54
D.
Consume my pants.

i saw washed out was playing lawrence and i was trying my hardest to envision how well this crap would go over live??

Old 10-05-2014, 02:12 PM   #55
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
If you are musician that cares anything at all about melody or knows his ass from a hole in the ground, and you're sitting there with your guitar trying to write a song, and you write Hotel California, don't tell me you don' ejaculate all over the place. I don't give a shit if you're "punk" or whatever. You jizz on the guitar.
In your world maybe. You do realise everything is subjective right? You can't tell me that objectively hotel california is a good song and it doesn't matter who you are. you can say it but you're wrong. You can point at it having been a no1 or the amount of units it sold, that still doesn't mean shit.

You're trying to make the value of a piece of art be objective. It isn't. Are you saying that any guitar player should love the guitar part of Hotel California and only dream to write a similar one? I've never tried to write a song that sounded even remotely like it and if i did i'd for sure dismiss it (it would be quite an accident though). It's ok to not like or even hate hotel california, it doesn't make anyone a moron and it doesnt' mean they just don't know shit about music. It doesn't make anyone a moron to like it either.

You're starting to sound like all those guys that hang on musicians and gear forums. "Oh i have an understanding of music that is so beyond the plebes, I hear shit they don't and it makes my opinion more valid." Music is really not rocket science, you're not hearing sounds the musically uneducated isn't, maybe you can more easily pinpoint to what you hear, maybe you can explain what it's doing, but they're still hearing it. "No but i understand the key and time signature changes that happened here and the counterpoint to blahblah" Great it makes you feel rewarded that you didn't waste your time getting musically educated, that still doesn't make a song any better. It's an emotional responses. I get none when i hear Hotel Califronia, (actually i do but it's very negative)

Old 10-05-2014, 04:48 PM   #56
christian zombie vampires
Apocalyptic Poster

look the eagles made great songs but are also undeniably lame and not remotely subversive or unpredictable

hotel california has great lyrics and melody and a great solo and it helped me learn guitar when i started, but something about the unplugged version, especially the first minute or so, makes me immediately angry. it's hard to explain although part of it has to do with my dad and several teachers i had (and every other white dad) buying it when it came out in 1994 and the drastic comparison between how slow and mellow it is to all the other crazy energetic music coming out then

Old 10-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #57
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 10-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #58
Elphenor
Braindead

The Eagles are just so incredibly bland.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:38 PM   #59
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
The Eagles are just so incredibly bland.
Maybe they just need some messageboard folks to convince them to go out and buy new clothes.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #60
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Hotel California is ojectively a great pop song. As are most of the Eagles hits. That's what they unapologetically are--hit makers..

Ok now what constitutes an objectively not great pop song. Would you say that every pop song that ever became a major hit made by artists that were unapologetically hit makers are great pop songs?