Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2018, 05:12 PM   #1021
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
Funny how some compare GunsnRoses to pumpkins -

GnR were much bigger and had real big success.
So SP were succesful, but nothing in comparison to GnR.

Please Billy release a really good single - nothing more.

Stop your stupid announcements, just release.

I wouldn´t pay a penny to see them live again. Horrible singing, zero motivation to interact with the crowd - horrible sound quality. And most of all Corgan really thinks he is the best, which by far he isn´t.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L
ROFL: People here just bashing and hating billy so much. Must be a weird hooby flaming on the internet and hoping to feel better after annoying and offending people and the SP here.
You ok there pal?

Old 03-07-2018, 05:17 PM   #1022
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

hooby

LOL

Old 03-07-2018, 05:30 PM   #1023
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
Saw weezer at an arena in 2002.... totally boring. I think 94 was the time to see weezer. But I was 12. So whatevs
I saw them in 96 and they fuckin ruled. Pinkerton tour. Tiny club. Rivers did not look at the audience once the entire night... just stared straight down.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:39 PM   #1024
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

This thread has gotten better the longer it goes.

Fantastic discussion!

I’ll agree with whoever said that Adore is not some masterpiece. While it definitely had been underrated for a while, it is actually stating to become overrated among the fan base.

Machina on the other hand I will argue is certainly underrated. How can you not appreciate the uniqueness in the way that it was produced? Machina was really the last time that Billy made something ambitious. Everything after it has been forced and recycled.

Also, Pisces Iscariot is a compilation album. Accept it. Compare it to other compilation albums. But none of that takes away from how awesome it is. Did I read someone say Adore was better than it? lol. There are easily 6 songs from Pisces that are better than anything on Adore.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:42 PM   #1025
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

so is nickelback confirmed or not? fuzzy?

Old 03-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #1026
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonUnicorns View Post

Fantastic discussion!

I’ll agree with whoever said that Adore is not some masterpiece. While it definitely had been underrated for a while, it is actually stating to become overrated among the fan base.

Machina on the other hand I will argue is certainly underrated. How can you not appreciate the uniqueness in the way that it was produced?
Fairly easily tbh

Old 03-07-2018, 05:59 PM   #1027
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Uniqueness of Machinas production? It sounds like a muddy mess.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:02 PM   #1028
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

But it’s the layer underneath the layer!

The uniqueness is lost on you.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:06 PM   #1029
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

Flood rules, fight me.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:53 PM   #1030
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i like machina better than adore but adore has for martha and blank page, which are both better than anything on machina

Old 03-07-2018, 07:56 PM   #1031
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

The problem with the complex mix of Machina is that you need a good HiFi to enjoy it.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:59 PM   #1032
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Lol yeah that's it

Old 03-07-2018, 08:27 PM   #1033
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Linda Strawdingle is learning the bass (noodling)! The days of Jackass Bates are counted...

Yamahaha:

Old 03-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #1034
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Flood rules, fight me.
I give Flood and Alan Moulder a lot of credit for helping make Mellon Collie was it is. Best producer the band has worked with and van capture their raw and primal power.

Machina was just a disappointment. Machina II had stronger tracks.

Adore > Machinas

Old 03-07-2018, 09:41 PM   #1035
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
so is nickelback confirmed or not? fuzzy?
I assume once the ticket sales start stalling that they'll unleash the opening acts with a frenzy... Should be any day now by that accord No one had any clue who the opening acts for GnR would be for the longest time either. Lenny Kravitz and Alice In Chains were actually rolled out with little fanfare... Probably cause the sales and demand were already so large and more than even Live Nation would have anticipated. I mean, I'm sure they knew they were gonna cash in, but one of the highest grossing tours of all time? Doubt they saw that coming.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 03-07-2018 at 09:51 PM.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:49 PM   #1036
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:

Fantastic discussion!

Machina on the other hand I will argue is certainly underrated. How can you not appreciate the uniqueness in the way that it was produced? Machina was really the last time that Billy made something ambitious. Everything after it has been forced and recycled.

Also, Pisces Iscariot is a compilation album. Accept it. Compare it to other compilation albums. But none of that takes away from how awesome it is. Did I read someone say Adore was better than it? lol. There are easily 6 songs from Pisces that are better than anything on Adore.
The problem with Adore and Machina is that Billy Corgan started desperately chasing the "1979 dragon". He scored a massive hit and figured he had stumbled on the golden formula. You'd never have songs like Perfect or Stand Inside Your Love pushed so hard if it wasn't for 1979. The success of that song really changed his writing formula... Even a song like Everlasting Gaze has elements of it in the chorus.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:49 PM   #1037
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Flood can't mix heavy rock for shit. The mellow songs sound great though. I love MCIS as a whole, it's sounds like a 70's album, but compared to Butch Vig's SD production it's pretty low-fi.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:56 PM   #1038
fuzzyroes
Banned

Even the Ava Adore chorus is reminiscent of the 1979 chorus in a weird way. It's hard to articulate, but there was definitely a very big shift in his songwriting sensibilities post MCIS. The only way I can describe it is being a lot more 1979-y

Old 03-07-2018, 09:58 PM   #1039
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Flood can't mix heavy rock for shit. The mellow songs sound great though. I love MCIS as a whole, it's sounds like a 70's album, but compared to Butch Vig's SD production it's pretty low-fi.
That was just the 1994-1996 trend at the time... To follow up your overproduced albums with something more raw in a display of perceived artistic integrity. It was obviously the standard set by Nirvana with In Utero following Nevermind ... But countless bands followed that formula at the time... Smashing Pumpkins (MCIS), Weezer (Pinkerton), Pearl Jam (Vitalogy), Green Day (Insomniac), Bush (Razor blade Suitcase), Live (Secret Samadhi) ETC. The list really does go on and on.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 03-07-2018 at 10:05 PM.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:03 PM   #1040
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Even the Ava Adore chorus is reminiscent of the 1979 chorus in a weird way. It's hard to articulate, but there was definitely a very big shift in his songwriting sensibilities post MCIS. The only way I can describe it is being a lot more 1979-y
it's more poppy, quite simply. he always had songs like this but he started making it basically a requirement of all singles

Old 03-07-2018, 10:05 PM   #1041
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

yeah that's tr00 fuzzy

Old 03-07-2018, 10:12 PM   #1042
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
it's more poppy, quite simply. he always had songs like this but he started making it basically a requirement of all singles
I dunno. Songs like Rocket and Today are as poppy as it gets, but they didn't have that 1979 element to the writing. I'd say even songs like I of the Mourning, Try Try Try, Wound and This Time (among others on Adore/Machina) were clearly trying to recapture that 1979 magic.

A lot of bands do that shit when they score a surprise massive hit. Sugar Ray is the example I always use. They had nothing on their albums that sounded anything like Fly... It was just a quirky thrown together song that was written by the drummer that turned into a huge hit, next thing you know every song they do is in the vein of "Fly".

Old 03-07-2018, 10:12 PM   #1043
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

From "Rock Invasion" to "Rock Erosion"...

chamberdrums
Rock invasion! @smashingpumpkins

Old 03-07-2018, 10:14 PM   #1044
fuzzyroes
Banned

Barenaked Ladies are another example with that One Week song.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:38 PM   #1045
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
A lot of bands do that shit when they score a surprise massive hit. Sugar Ray is the example I always use. They had nothing on their albums that sounded anything like Fly... It was just a quirky thrown together song that was written by the drummer that turned into a huge hit, next thing you know every song they do is in the vein of "Fly".
no way, that's MUCH worse. their entire genre changed.

offspring did it too but they had a back catalog and other hits so it doesn't seem as terrible

corgan was always trying to recapture the mcis-singles run but he didn't change the band completely

Old 03-07-2018, 10:56 PM   #1046
fuzzyroes
Banned

I dunno. I've come to the conclusion that 1979 is the worst thing that could have happened for him. I'd say from Adore on the sound was changed completely. Even when they tried to "rock" again on some songs on the Machinas it was a total 180 from the glory years. Now I know it may have been an artistic thing, but I think a good ton of that post-MCIS music is 1979 influenced in one way or another.

Just a personal theory of mine.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:23 PM   #1047
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Smashing Pumpkins' MCIS vs Siamese Dream
Flood's lo-fi production > Butch Vig's hi-fi production

Nirvana's In Utero vs Nevermind
Steve Albini's lo-fi production > Butch Vig's hi-fi production

Albini and Flood captured what these bands actually sound like live and in person and not some super glossy, radio friendly version of them. It was about capturing the real band, all members playing together in a room. In Utero is up there as one of the best produced rock records ever.

Those albums fuzzy mentioned just happen to also be those bands' best albums.

I highly suggest the Devonshire mixes of Nevermind that came with the super deluxe edition, much better than the final mix and master.

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 03-07-2018 at 11:30 PM.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:38 AM   #1048
redbreegull

Quote:
i like machina better than adore but adore has for martha and blank page, which are both better than anything on machina
imo the only songs on machina in the same league as most of Adore are SIYL and IOTM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
The problem with the complex mix of Machina is that you need a good HiFi to enjoy it.
my setup is decent and machina does not sound any better on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
I give Flood and Alan Moulder a lot of credit for helping make Mellon Collie was it is. Best producer the band has worked with and van capture their raw and primal power.

Machina was just a disappointment. Machina II had stronger tracks.

Adore > Machinas
Yes to Machina II being better than I, and yes to Adore > Machina
No to Flood and Alan Moulder

Quote:
The problem with Adore and Machina is that Billy Corgan started desperately chasing the "1979 dragon". He scored a massive hit and figured he had stumbled on the golden formula. You'd never have songs like Perfect or Stand Inside Your Love pushed so hard if it wasn't for 1979. The success of that song really changed his writing formula... Even a song like Everlasting Gaze has elements of it in the chorus.
Quote:
eh I dunno. I think that element of his songwriting has always been there. Think about how similar the chorus of 1979 is to "faith lies in the ways of sin"

he did move towards a more pop sound in general, but I don't see it being because of 1979. 1979 is just one song in a progression of Billy becoming a more pop-hook-centric artist. today and disarm are two of his poppiest songs, and they had been big hits already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
I agree with this. The production on the soft tracks sounds gorgeous, lush, and intricate. the heavy tracks are way too muddy and I feel like you really lose a lot by not being able to hear the nuances of the drums and guitar in the overly bass-heavy master.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
Smashing Pumpkins' MCIS vs Siamese Dream
Flood's lo-fi production > Butch Vig's hi-fi production

Nirvana's In Utero vs Nevermind
Steve Albini's lo-fi production > Butch Vig's hi-fi production

Albini and Flood captured what these bands actually sound like live and in person and not some super glossy, radio friendly version of them. It was about capturing the real band, all members playing together in a room. In Utero is up there as one of the best produced rock records ever.
For me, it's not just about hi-fi v. lo-fi. I don't like Steve Albini, but I do think the production on In Utero sounds good. But it's pretty crisp and clear compared to MCIS.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:59 AM   #1049
fuzzyroes
Banned

You don't think he became a lot more formulaic following MCIS? You'd never have Corgan penning songs like Perfect or Stand Inside Your Love if it wasn't for the success of 1979. Even a song I quite like like "Wound", the 1979 influence is undeniable.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:26 AM   #1050
redbreegull

Quote:
You don't think he became a lot more formulaic following MCIS? You'd never have Corgan penning songs like Perfect or Stand Inside Your Love if it wasn't for the success of 1979. Even a song I quite like like "Wound", the 1979 influence is undeniable.
he did become more formulaic. I don't think SIYL is a good example, but I also don't think it's because of 1979. Gish is the least pop album and every album after that is consecutively more pop oriented basically