Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2023, 06:57 PM   #1
phang
Ownz

Default When will we admit Siddhartha rules?

It was 8 hours of the best thing Billy has ever done, and it doesn't get the respect it deserves.

Pew pew!

Old 02-08-2023, 07:33 PM   #2
ilikeplanets
Braindead

It would probably take BC's death, and that's not a promise

Old 02-08-2023, 08:55 PM   #3
Ram27
dumb

at least he's making shitty noise over a real story

it actually seems like something you could trip to and enjoy or something. with the calm british guy in the back and all

Old 02-08-2023, 09:42 PM   #4
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Nah, he's the one tripping. There's no other explanation.

Old 02-09-2023, 05:46 AM   #5
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

I'll take the modular stuff over the wrestling anyday

Always found it quite odd how much crap he took for these modular events, think it was maybe just before fiddling around with modulars became ultra hipster? I mean it wasn't stellar to listen to but the lowkey art event in basically a cafe concept is fine

Old 02-09-2023, 11:57 AM   #6
ilikeplanets
Braindead

You said it yourself, he got crap because this shit is terrible to listen to

Old 02-09-2023, 01:22 PM   #7
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Airplane mode means nothing to me

Old 02-09-2023, 06:36 PM   #8
phang
Ownz

"MY HOPE IS TO EMBARK ON A MUSICAL JOURNEY; NOT IN SONG, MIND YOU, BUT BY EXPLORING THE TEXTURAL SPACE THAT LAY BEHIND THIS POWERFUL, EMOTIVE PROSE; AND LIKE SO MANY GLIMMERINGS IN THE MIND'S EYE, CAPTURE THAT WHICH IS EVER CHANGING, BUT STILL"

Yes Bill, you certainly achieved that!

Old 02-09-2023, 10:59 PM   #9
T&T
Socialphobic

he should have done it more often. I would have been an interesting project to watch develop.

seriously.

It's difficult to measure the quality vs accidental tones he runs into. one ongoing session didn't reveal to me the kind of depth I was hoping from.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:04 AM   #10
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

It's pretentious trash played in a fucking hippy tea shop

Old 02-10-2023, 01:52 AM   #11
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Explore the textural space with me, baby

Old 02-10-2023, 11:08 AM   #12
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by phang View Post
LIKE SO MANY GLIMMERINGS IN THE MIND'S EYE, CAPTURE THAT WHICH IS EVER CHANGING, BUT STILL
It's kind of weird to me, now that I think about it, that he writes in this incredibly theater-kid purple-prose way all the fucking time, but his lyrics are never like this. They're also weird, but in a different way—like, they seem these days to be trying for "shroud my meaning as much as possible in confounding turns of phrase." The above is easily parsed; it's just stupid.

You might say "Well, Cupid de Locke," but I don't put that in the same class as this horseshit because it's purposeful, poetic in an actually pleasing way (if you like the Romantic poets; I generally don't but whatever), and it works. It's not embarrassing; it's meant to be flowery and over the top. This is... not that.

I guess I'd like an episode of the podcast that's just "What the hell I think I'm doing/who I'm aping by writing this way," you know? Like where is this coming from.

Old 02-10-2023, 02:42 PM   #13
phang
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
It's kind of weird to me, now that I think about it, that he writes in this incredibly theater-kid purple-prose way all the fucking time, but his lyrics are never like this. They're also weird, but in a different way—like, they seem these days to be trying for "shroud my meaning as much as possible in confounding turns of phrase." The above is easily parsed; it's just stupid.

You might say "Well, Cupid de Locke," but I don't put that in the same class as this horseshit because it's purposeful, poetic in an actually pleasing way (if you like the Romantic poets; I generally don't but whatever), and it works. It's not embarrassing; it's meant to be flowery and over the top. This is... not that.

I guess I'd like an episode of the podcast that's just "What the hell I think I'm doing/who I'm aping by writing this way," you know? Like where is this coming from.
I remember some interview with Jimmy where he once said "it's art, for art's sake" and as pretentious as a phrase that is, it actually rings true for this weird hippy-prose nonsense. It's just trying to be interesting, spiritual, out-there, whereas it's none of those things. It's just faux-old timey blah.

It's probably directly lifted from Blinking with Fists, it's just that no one read it to realise.

Old 02-10-2023, 03:03 PM   #14
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

Did he ever finally sell those 500 or so box sets made of Siddhartha? I used to love the monthly updates when we found that a unit was moved.

Old 02-20-2023, 10:41 PM   #15
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

I've never listened to Siddhartha all the way through, but skipped around a bunch. I don't think it's stupid that Billy tried something like this, but there's an undeniable cringe factor to it. The whole concept is pretentious as hell, but whatever-- it's just a experimental, avant-garde kind of event at his niche tea-house.

Last edited by LoveIsSuicide42 : 02-20-2023 at 10:52 PM.

Old 02-20-2023, 10:51 PM   #16
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

The way Billy started experimenting head-on with synths has always had a quality of outsider art to me-- I'm talking about TbK onward. His approach to them baffles me-- they sound like toys, and I feel like he treats them like toys. It's fine to me, though-- I like Atum well enough. And he seems happy with what he's made. I like that he has never made the same album twice.

Old 02-20-2023, 11:13 PM   #17
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveIsSuicide42 View Post
I like that he has never made the same album twice.
didn't make siddartha twice. but made 8 hours of it.

Old 02-20-2023, 11:16 PM   #18
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Siddhartha is by far the most pretentious thing the Bald Lord has ever done, which is saying quite a lot.

Old 02-21-2023, 02:03 PM   #19
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

To anyone who actually uses this sort of synth: Does it look like Billy is turning dials and shit with intention, or does it seem like he's just fiddling with random things to see what they do?

Not necessarily a criticism—if it's the latter, maybe playing randomly with it was his intention to like "channel Buddha (who never learned to play the synth)" or w/e—I just have no way of knowing

Old 02-23-2023, 03:27 AM   #20
majesty
Pledge

the Oneohtrix Point Never livetweeting was the best thing about it