Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2007, 12:41 AM   #1
jcousson
Amish Rake Fighter

Default I Waited 15 Hours in D.C. to Get Shut Out (Cartoon Billy Inside!)

Yesterday, my best friend and I camped out for 15 hours trying to see the Smashing Pumpkins at the 9:30 club. Tickets were nearly impossible to get ahold of, so we decided to try the stakeout route, as two teenagers in their last summer before college with too much free time and dedication are supposed to do.

I spent the night before with a set of sharpies and reinforced posterboard putting my cartoonist skills to work, creating an elaborate Billy Corgan, in full "Tarantula" video garb. Simply put, Billy Corgan is as simple as an eccentric and slightly sinister bald man. It's all about the wardrobe - give him a cat and he's a Bond villain, give him Kryptonite and he's Lex Luthor. On the other side, I drew Jimmy Chamberlin, although I was later informed that he needs to look more like a "brick s--thouse." I censored that for the kiddies, but it's a compliment, apparently.

I arrived at the 9:30 club at 7am, when it was already 96 degrees in D.C. For the next three hours, I waited outside of a tour bus, hoping it might belong to the Pumpkins, after identifying an adjacent bus as their crew's. Turns out, the bus belonged to Mickey Avalon, the Hollywood rapper/former male prostitute best known for the song "My Dick." He'd played the night before, and his tour manager explained that "there just wasn't anywhere to park this damn thing." To top things off, I didn't even get to meet the man behind the couplet, 'My Dick cost a late night fee/Your dick got the HIV,' as he had already moved on to a hotel in Baltimore.

My best friend, a die-hard Pumpkins fan who has single-handedly ruined listening to them in the car with commentary on the technical prowess of Jimmy Chamberlin, arrived at 10:30, unable to get out of a committment at his fire department.

When Avalon's bus left, I moved across the street to sit along the club with the two other people there - two women who had apparently been following the band across the country and had seen almost every show on their current tour. Pleasant people, but, the fact alone inspired incredible jealousy. I mean, who needs to show up ten hours early when you've already seen the band and met them? I thought that was a desparation move.

By noon, the crowd had swelled to upwards of 9, and we were relieved from the hundred degree heat with...
...a thunderstorm that lasted close to an hour. So, the most devoted fans of the Pumpkins were treated to a furious storm that broke umbrellas and soaked the blankets set down by people hoping to work on their tans while holding their spots in line. At least three people hid under a truck, despite the lightning risk. With no shade provided by the club, three of us hid in a doorway of an abandoned building, but the wind blew the rain our way anyway.

The rain died down for about an hour, only to be followed up by a second storm that lasted 45 of the longest minutes of my life, roughly 3 minutes for each person waiting.

By the end of this second storm, my vinyl copy of Siamese Dream was a ragged mess, thanks to a messenger bag that took upon spongelike qualities.

The Pumpkins eventually showed up in a car that parked in a heavily guarded alley between the club and abandoned warehouse next to it. I held up my sign for Billy and he smiled. Realizing my in, I called his name when he was five feet away, and he didn't do as much as turn around. The sign got the attention of Jeff, Ginger, and Lisa, all of whom listened to my friend and I's sob story (we were there 8 hours at the time, and still soaking wet), but said they didn't have the power to get anyone in to the show.

Luckily, a sympathetic bouncer, with earlobes stretched out so far that you could fit tennis balls in there, was willing to help, as my friend and I were both longtime patrons of the club. He promised he would get the poster - a gift, now - to the band, along with a written plea to Jimmy Chamberlin to help us get in to the show.

We continued to wait in line, occasionally stopping to talk to a girl filming a documentary on the band, complete with all-access pass. She asked me to describe my Billy drawing - which I attempted to do as dryly as possible. Being videotaped in front of the massive flag only helped the vague hope I held on to.

Hours passed.

As the line grew in to the hundreds and we began our 12th hour, our hopes grew dim.

Eventually, the videocamera girl, who by the way, had the most amazing hair dye job, came to my friend and I, standing across the street thanks to security as the "rally" was set up, and asked for our names, promising to get them into the hands of "people with some power."

The next time we saw her, she was in a classic car with the band, rolling up in front of the club.

We saw the complete "rally," and despite being the third and fourth people in line, club personnel did not allow us to participate due to our lack of tickets.

The security at the club was insane, and roughly half the people who showed up didn't even get to see the opening act, as fears of scalping resulting in roughly 2 hours of ID checks before people entered.

The only scalping we noticed was unfortunate. The guy came in and decided to sell his extra to the first person he saw who needed one. A woman who cut in front of us in line got the offer. She had already been to about eight shows on the current tour.

She would also get to join the 'Anti-SP' crowd, taking a sign that the band's staff were going to let us hold, but then club security kicked us out.

We never did get in the show. We left around 10, only to find a $100 parking ticket for an obscure parking meter violation.

So, despite losing some weight, getting a great chance to wash some clothes, and not meeting Mickey Avalon, I have to say it was one of the worst nights of my life.

But, man. That new album is so good. I would've done anything to hear it live.

So, anyone else have a story? What's the most you've ever done to get in a show? What was your worst experience?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v5...=billytoon.jpg

Old 07-12-2007, 12:45 AM   #2
ratking17
Ownz

next time, buy a ticket...

Old 07-12-2007, 12:52 AM   #3
skippy
Apocalyptic Poster

Is this real?

Old 07-12-2007, 12:59 AM   #4
manders4001
Demi-God

That sucks. Sorry you couldn't get in.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:51 AM   #5
panopticon
Demi-God

And so beats the final coda, of this vinyl storm...

Old 07-12-2007, 07:59 AM   #6
MonteLDS
*sigh*

ya. this was pretty horrible thread. no one cares about your personal tragic story. go write a hate song

Old 07-12-2007, 08:08 AM   #7
brendo_91
Minion of Satan

what did you expect with no ticket? idiot.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:32 PM   #8
spacey raygun
Ownz

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendo_91
what did you expect with no ticket? idiot.
last time i waited for jimmy, he got me and my friend on the guest list... for the last show.

i think if they would have spoken with him, they would have been fine.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:46 PM   #9
Smiley

Old 07-12-2007, 08:16 AM   #10
Brute Squad
oh for fuck's sake

daaaaaamn son!

Old 07-12-2007, 08:24 AM   #11
smashkin33
Apocalyptic Poster

There always the stories flowing around that Billy (or other artists) save the day by giving the ticketless tickets. If you didn't have anything else to do with your time, why not give this a shot? Sorry that you didn't make it in, but at least you have a story to tell.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:38 AM   #12
if there is a llama
Demi-God

That sucks you didn't make it in. I would've hoped Billy would've been more sympathetic.

Good drawing, and funny writing style though. Probably not much consolation.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:43 AM   #13
smashkin33
Apocalyptic Poster

PS:

1-2-3-4, get your booty on the dance floor
work it out
shake it little mama
let me see you do the jane fonda

Old 07-12-2007, 09:12 AM   #14
Jupitious
Pledge

Umm, and why did you bring your vinyl copy of SD? Would that be the thing that proved you were a superfan and got you in? What if the band gave tickets to every kid that didn't buy one and just showed up?

Old 07-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #15
yoshinobu's revenge
Apocalyptic Poster

what were you guys wearing

Old 07-12-2007, 09:44 AM   #16
NothingSafe
Demi-God

With such exclusive shows it is near impossible to enter without a ticket. It definitely sucks; I admire your courage, though.

Which totally sucks is that chick who already saw 8 shows and, of course, cuts in line. These people really piss me off.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:45 AM   #17
slappyspank33
Pledge

That's too bad. There were probably people who had tickets and got in that don't even really like the band all that much....

Old 07-12-2007, 11:26 AM   #18
hope
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcousson
When Avalon's bus left, I moved across the street to sit along the club with the two other people there - two women who had apparently been following the band across the country and had seen almost every show on their current tour. Pleasant people, but, the fact alone inspired incredible jealousy. I mean, who needs to show up ten hours early when you've already seen the band and met them? I thought that was a desparation move.
LOL I'm glad you know so much about me and my friend. and desperate for what exactly?

Last edited by hope : 07-12-2007 at 11:57 AM.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:27 PM   #19
Heat6Jones
Demi-God

I am getting tired of all these Netphorian love stories. Half the people here want Billy Corgan to die and the other half would wait an endless amount of time in a sewer to catch a glimpse at him.

Billy is cute and all, but eventually you gotta move on. Anyway, can I get a high res scan of the cartoon b0lly? I want that as my background.

Thanks.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:54 PM   #20
TicalFSU
When I travel to the Sun

Hi Hope! I knew the OP was referring to you when I was reading the original post. Coming to Atlanta?

Old 07-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #21
pyrocus
Demi-God

When I didn't get tickets for the DC show, I was bummed at first but what can you do? I am certainly not going to pay $800 for a ticket that was only originally $30. And I would not have bought my vinyl copy of Siamese Dream to the show, even if I had one. Didn't you listen to the weather that day?

Old 07-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #22
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: a melting apocalyptic jungle bleeding out of me like a dream

you have a lot more dissapointing moments to look forward to in life teenager young child newb

its also not that wise to criticize those people that "have seen them 8 times already on the current tour and wait outside for 10 hours" b/c they're the people that can help you actually get into a show. So, nice going.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:58 PM   #23
kevinhcraig
Amish Rake Fighter

While I do sympathize with your struggle, I must say my piece.

1) You were surrounded by friendly people who offered you food and conversation. And I am disappointed that you never even mentioned the 4+ people who called tickets.com for two hours straight attempting to get you two tickets. I have never seen such kindness in a line of strangers.

2) When the band pulled up, Jeff the guitarist walked out and you (or your friend) screamed "Hey you, are you in the band?" Enough said.

3) Why didn’t you ask people farther back in line if they had extra tickets?

Don't act like a victim here. Thousands of people were in the same boat as you - they didn’t get tickets. No mention of all the people that tried to help you is quite frankly rude on your part.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:21 PM   #24
Netphorian Gadabout
The Broom of the System

Yeah, you guys should've worked the line a little more. Lots of people found folks whose friends didn't come. I felt bad giving my spare to that girl who was ahead of you in line (apparently she cut?), but you lost sympathy when you said to Jeff, "are you with the Smashing Pumpkins?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I'm a fucking artist." - Matt Lucero

Old 07-12-2007, 05:25 PM   #25
KrazeeStacee

tl;dr

Old 07-12-2007, 05:34 PM   #26
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Way to go, dumbass.

This thread is lacking more "Way to go, dumbass" stories.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:25 PM   #27
28if
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: yeah seriously i think we've more than established a consensus on reality, it's not that abstract.

The girl inf ront of my friend in line (he got there at about two) didn't have a ticket, but wrote a long letter to BC with a sharpie, and gave it to the lady instead of her ticket when they were going through the line or whatever, and they let her in.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:43 AM   #28
kevinhcraig
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28if
The girl inf ront of my friend in line (he got there at about two) didn't have a ticket, but wrote a long letter to BC with a sharpie, and gave it to the lady instead of her ticket when they were going through the line or whatever, and they let her in.

True or False?

( ) True
(X) False

Old 07-13-2007, 01:15 PM   #29
Netphorian Gadabout
The Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhcraig
True or False?

( ) True
(X) False
Yeah I don't remember this happening at all.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:03 PM   #30
Heat6Jones
Demi-God

Billy favors girls. I would suggest dressing up as a girl if you want Billy to get you in.