toase
Apocalyptic Poster

birdbox
4/5

Old 01-19-2019, 05:07 PM   #4773
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Bird Box:

Cool concept, but concepts are a dime a dozen. The exploration of that concept is everything. And they explored this concept with silly dialogue, phoned-in delivery, and some plot contrivances here and there that strained credulity. I feel like I've seen this movie already. Ooh, a stranger desperately raps at the door of our cast of apocalyptic survivors, and the question of whether to trust him or not divides them and increases the tension. Is he evil, or not? I end up not caring either way, and the reveal directly contradicts the film's own established rules about the symptoms of the infected (spoiler: he's the only infected guy who doesn't get the crazy eyes, but they suddenly appear after they reveal that he's evil, lol).

Why the fuck was everybody talking about this movie? Feels like another spec script that a studio rushed into production before letting the writer iron out the kinks and develop it further. Did JJ Abrams have anything to do with this one? Because it feels just like another one of the movies he takes, orders rewritten to be more Abramy, and pushes onto some random director.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:11 PM   #4774
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Also, didn't M. Night Shyamalan or Stephen King already do this one

Old 01-19-2019, 08:58 PM   #4775
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

Gemini - 3/5
Upstream Color - 5/5

Old 01-19-2019, 09:07 PM   #4776
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I love Upstream Color.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:08 PM   #4777
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Now I'm sad because Upstream Color reminds me of that one girl I like

Old 01-19-2019, 09:09 PM   #4778
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

sorry

I'm always late to things

Old 01-21-2019, 11:46 AM   #4779
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Bird Box:

Cool concept, but concepts are a dime a dozen. The exploration of that concept is everything. And they explored this concept with silly dialogue, phoned-in delivery, and some plot contrivances here and there that strained credulity. I feel like I've seen this movie already. Ooh, a stranger desperately raps at the door of our cast of apocalyptic survivors, and the question of whether to trust him or not divides them and increases the tension. Is he evil, or not? I end up not caring either way, and the reveal directly contradicts the film's own established rules about the symptoms of the infected (spoiler: he's the only infected guy who doesn't get the crazy eyes, but they suddenly appear after they reveal that he's evil, lol).

Why the fuck was everybody talking about this movie? Feels like another spec script that a studio rushed into production before letting the writer iron out the kinks and develop it further. Did JJ Abrams have anything to do with this one? Because it feels just like another one of the movies he takes, orders rewritten to be more Abramy, and pushes onto some random director.
Yeah this sucked wet donkey fux, huh

So many missed opportunities. It coulda been compelling, but instead it was so so dumb. Plus friekin shallow. And i did not believe sandra bullocks reluctant Mom arc one fucken bit, not even for a second, and especially not during her bizarre climactic speech at the girl in the woods

Please everyone don’t watch this movie or even talk about it to anyone, let’s forget this ever happened

Old 01-21-2019, 11:48 AM   #4780
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

The Wailing

In a word, senescent.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:11 PM   #4781
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

Pride, Prejudice and zombies

it was ok

Old 01-21-2019, 08:16 PM   #4782
FoolofaTook

y u so crazy, tee-oh-ay-see?

Old 01-23-2019, 09:32 PM   #4783
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Yeah this sucked wet donkey fux, huh

So many missed opportunities. It coulda been compelling, but instead it was so so dumb. Plus friekin shallow. And i did not believe sandra bullocks reluctant Mom arc one fucken bit, not even for a second, and especially not during her bizarre climactic speech at the girl in the woods

Please everyone don’t watch this movie or even talk about it to anyone, let’s forget this ever happened
Yeah, I know the fact that she didn't even name the kids was supposed to represent how direly they are clinging onto mere survival that names didn't even seem important to her, but come on… it just wasn't believable that she didn't think to name them in those, like, five years or whatever she spent time with them. Even less believable that her boyfriend wouldn't name them, seeing as his whole character's purpose is to be an optimistic foil to Bullock's, believing that they should still give the kids hope about life after the weird shit stops happening.

When evil guy wants the newborn babies (who were conveniently born at the same time to two different mothers, I guess) to see the kill-yourself monsters, I thought it would be interesting if one of the kids did see it, but suffered no obvious effects, leaving Bullock to wonder if these creatures simply have no power over infants (seeing as they are not old enough to have profound fears or a concept of suicide as an escape from fear), or if there is something wrong with the kid, and if she should be suspicious of it. Maybe would help justify why she's such an asshole to the other woman's kid, and contemplates letting her be the one to look at the monsters. But that didn't happen, because that might actually be interesting.

Overall, I just didn't understand why the movie is such a big phenomenon. It doesn't seem that much different from any other standard concept Hollywood thriller, and it's not like it's the first Netflix original movie, either. Maybe because it's the first one with as big a lead actor as Sandra Bullock? Is that it? Is that why people cared about it? I mean, at least it isn't nearly as bad as The Cloverfield Paradox.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:37 PM   #4784
FoolofaTook

you only have yourselves to blame for watching a sandra bullock film

Old 01-23-2019, 11:07 PM   #4785
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Yeah, I know the fact that she didn't even name the kids was supposed to represent how direly they are clinging onto mere survival that names didn't even seem important to her, but come on… it just wasn't believable that she didn't think to name them in those, like, five years or whatever she spent time with them. Even less believable that her boyfriend wouldn't name them, seeing as his whole character's purpose is to be an optimistic foil to Bullock's, believing that they should still give the kids hope about life after the weird shit stops happening.

When evil guy wants the newborn babies (who were conveniently born at the same time to two different mothers, I guess) to see the kill-yourself monsters, I thought it would be interesting if one of the kids did see it, but suffered no obvious effects, leaving Bullock to wonder if these creatures simply have no power over infants (seeing as they are not old enough to have profound fears or a concept of suicide as an escape from fear), or if there is something wrong with the kid, and if she should be suspicious of it. Maybe would help justify why she's such an asshole to the other woman's kid, and contemplates letting her be the one to look at the monsters. But that didn't happen, because that might actually be interesting.

Overall, I just didn't understand why the movie is such a big phenomenon. It doesn't seem that much different from any other standard concept Hollywood thriller, and it's not like it's the first Netflix original movie, either. Maybe because it's the first one with as big a lead actor as Sandra Bullock? Is that it? Is that why people cared about it? I mean, at least it isn't nearly as bad as The Cloverfield Paradox.
not naming the kids seemed like more of an effort to not get overly attached to them (well, as much as she could) since the likelihood of them being killed was heightened. but really it seems most of the phenomenon is based on people talking shit about it, aside from toase's 4/5 review i haven't read a good thing about it. maybe i'm just surrounded by assholes

Old 01-23-2019, 11:07 PM   #4786
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Old 01-29-2019, 11:20 PM   #4787
FoolofaTook

Thumbs up

Old 02-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #4788
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

(don't judge me)

I loved the old He-Man and She-Ra cartoons from the 80s growing up, despite the fact that by today's standards they are incredibly corny and poorly animated (though the overall art style is nice). So when I randomly learned that She-Ra had been rebooted on Netflix, I figured, why not give it a watch. Looks kinda kiddy, but the reviews have been stellar.

I'm happy I gave it a chance. The plots are a bit formulaic and the animation is a bit flat at points, and some of the characters are a bit obnoxious and/or irritating. However, the show features great world-building, cute art direction, great voice work, and the main characters are all likeable in their own ways (I didn't like Glimmer at first but she grew on me after a few watches).

The show was worth watching for Catra, if nothing else. The depth of her character is amazing. Her relationship with Adora is enjoyably deep, romantic and angsty and it sucks knowing that, as close as they are, their relationship will get more and more adversarial as the show transitions them further from close friends to bitter enemies. You don't often see a relationship this well-written in a kid's show, and it will be interesting to see in the future where their rivalry goes.

Despite the first season overall being bright and colorful and kiddish, I have a feeling that the show's creators want to make the show a bit darker but are hamstrung by the TV-Y7 rating. So we'll see about that. Looking forward to learning more about Etheria in Season 2, which drops the same day Avengers: Endgame hits theaters.

B+

Old 02-19-2019, 06:01 PM   #4789
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Ghoulies & Ghoulies 2 - 5/10

Horror movies with critters sprouting from shitters should be a little more fun than this.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:02 PM   #4790
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Thread says to RATE the movie, you ignorant fuck!

Old 02-19-2019, 06:38 PM   #4791
FoolofaTook

FLAMING BLOGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-19-2019, 06:38 PM   #4792
FoolofaTook

I'M LAUGHING AND CRYING AND CUMMING

Old 02-19-2019, 06:55 PM   #4793
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

but still not rating that fucking movie!

Old 02-19-2019, 06:57 PM   #4794
FoolofaTook

all the movies i watch are 11s, naturally

Old 02-19-2019, 06:57 PM   #4795
FoolofaTook

I DONT FUCK AROUND

Old 02-19-2019, 06:59 PM   #4796
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

no need for coarse language

Old 02-19-2019, 07:01 PM   #4797
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
all the movies i watch are 11s, naturally
Actually that movie kinda fucken sucked didn’t it

Found it preachy, unsatisfying, and disjointed, 5/10

Old 02-19-2019, 07:02 PM   #4798
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Talking

Quote:
I'M LAUGHING AND CRYING AND CUMMING

Old 02-19-2019, 07:03 PM   #4799
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Actually that movie kinda fucken sucked didn’t it

Found it preachy, unsatisfying, and disjointed, 5/10
heh heh