Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #1
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Help! Music Recommendations

OK, so back in middle school, my first favorite band was Nirvana. I also liked Green Day. Then I fell in love with the Pumpkins, and as I listened to Radiohead and The Cure, they also became two of my favorite bands. I was also a huge Zwan fan, and through Pajo I got into Slint, Mogwai and Papa M. Around the same time, Bjork also became one of my favorites. Sigur Rós soon followed. I also liked some Brazilian music like Chico Buarque and Cordel do Fogo Encantado.

With Papa M's Whatever Mortal, I got into indie countrish/folkish music. I really got into Bonnie Prince Billy's I See a Darkness and Ease Down the Road. In 2004, I discovered Joanna Newsom and Sufjan Stevens, and they became my favorites of the decade. That was also when I began to love Modest Mouse/Ugly Casanova and Neutral Milk Hotel. One year later, I got into the Arcade Fire, the National, Broken Social Scene, Yo La Tengo, Antony and the Johnsons and bunch of other bands.

From then on, I started finding fewer new bands I liked each year, until maybe 2009 or 2010, when my new discoveries almost came to a halt. I hate Billy's new stuff and Billy. I didn't really enjoy In Rainbows, and King of Limbs lost me completely. The last Bjork album I loved was Medulla (the new ones have a few good songs, but that's about it). I love the Milk-Eyed Mender and Ys, but never really got into Have One on Me (I still have hope I will, though). With Sufjan, I was worried I'd be disappointed with his next album after Illinois and the Avalanche, but the Age of Adz was actually really, really good. He managed to avoid my growing weariness towards indie folk - I still love the old stuff, but I just can't get into people like Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes, etc. I love banjos but I'm tired of them. I almost resent them at this point.

In the past couple of years, the only musicians I really got into were Pavement, Shugo Tokumaru and mewithoutYOU. I think they are all good, sometimes even amazing, but not enough to be called favorites like the Pumpkins used to be or like Sufjan is now.

So... help? Surely there is some amazing music out there that I could still love? This isn't a bitter rant about the current state of music because I realize the problem is mostly me. Still, do you have any recommendations of stuff you think I could enjoy?

Last edited by Rairun : 12-14-2012 at 07:07 AM.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

I really liked No Age's Glitter, but then I didn't care about the rest of the album. I thought Grimes' Oblivion was interesting, but I'm not sure I could love her unless her music is more varied. I still love the post-rock albums I fell in love with, but new things have started to sound the same to me.

I've grown kind of suspicious of beauty. I still love the older pretty folk songs, the ones I have a connection with, but new ones sound artificial. It almost mirrors the way I used to love photographs of beautiful places, and now they are boring to me. Now I like some street photography, mostly - human things that are flawed, imperfect, but still beautiful in a way. Basically, I don't want music that sounds pretty, but I also don't want noise without any heart.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

I only know and love a couple of Smog albums - I think I could get into others. The other day I also really enjoyed seeing RM Hubbert playing Car Song live, which he wrote with Aidan Moffat. It's beautiful but not pretty; and the lyrics have all these specificities that really ground it in a specific time and place. I only know a few Arab Strap songs, though.

This is to say I know more or less where to look when it comes to old bands I don't know well yet, but I have absolutely no clue about newer bands.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

i think it's silly to act like new music is letting you down when it seems like you've done some exploring and you're getting kind of jaded at how much there is

nothing wrong with standing pat man, you certainly are doing your research so you know whatevah

i really loved that last no age album so i dunno if i can help you

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 12-14-2012 at 07:35 AM.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rairun View Post
I don't want music that sounds pretty, but I also don't want noise without any heart.
well maybe i can help a little

Refused - Shape of Punk to Come
Swans - My Father Will Guide Me a Rope Up to The Sky
Swans - The Seer
Fucked Up - David Comes to Life (best handled in four song bursts)

have you listened to the Youth, man?

Old 12-14-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
Trotskilicious
Banned

i mean really how much punk rock have you listened to in general

just sounds like maybe you need to inject some hardcore into your life

Old 12-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
Luke de Spa
someone more...punk rock?

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

augie march

wonderful lyrics

Old 12-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
Trotskilicious
Banned

also keep in mind i really hated age of adz, just sounded like more radiohead re-visitations

if you're okay with that maybe other lives would be your bag

Old 12-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #9
Luke de Spa
someone more...punk rock?

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

i still haven't heard that. michigan and illinois sounded basically exactly the same to me, although i heard the latter first. but he's certainly got that 5/4 thing down pat and it doesn't sound like anything else. and the arrangements are still pretty fricking impressive

Old 12-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
i mean really how much punk rock have you listened to in general

just sounds like maybe you need to inject some hardcore into your life
Thanks! I'll listen to all of those when I have time. My knowledge of punk rock is pretty much zero. I'm not really drawn to it, to be honest. But you're right, I should give it a fair chance before dismissing it.

Also, Sonic Youth have been in my list forever (love some of their songs), but no, I've never delved deep into their discography. I should fix that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke de Spa View Post
i still haven't heard that. michigan and illinois sounded basically exactly the same to me, although i heard the latter first. but he's certainly got that 5/4 thing down pat and it doesn't sound like anything else. and the arrangements are still pretty fricking impressive
I'll check augie march out as well, thanks!

And yeah, I agree, Illinois and Michigan are very similar in style, but not so much in mood. Seven Swans is a lot sparser than either of them, and arguably better.

Age of Adz only really sank in after I heard it live. It's basically Sufjan writing songs like he's always done (the busy, instrumental kind) with electronic-based instrumentation, plus a very different singing style and a different lyrical approach. I can kind of see what Trots means, he's not breaking new musical ground (like, say, the Pumpkins weren't great innovators), but I do find the album unique as a whole.

Also, the All Delighted People EP has one of the best songs he's ever written: the Owl and the Tanager. It's pretty different from his other music. Gut-wrenching stuff. Brilliant lyrics.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #11
Trotskilicious
Banned

well punk is definitely a direction to go in if you're tired of beauty and want noise with heart

also fugazi

i should say swans is not punk perse but it is dark, noisy, and strangely beautiful

Old 12-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
cocksure
Apocalyptic Poster

i didn't give 'have one on me' the proper attention it deserves at first either. it's fantastic though, give it another chance

Old 12-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #13
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Listen to Boris - Pink

Old 12-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #14
Trotskilicious
Banned

yeah bro seconded

Old 12-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #15
cocksure
Apocalyptic Poster

pink was the first boris album i listened to and i was so disappointed. feedbacker changed that

Old 12-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #16
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

do you know Red House Painters/Sun Kil Moon? Kozelek is a first class songwriter

Start with Rollercoaster (s/t) by Red House Painters, Songs for a Blue Guitar by Red House Painters, and Ghosts of the Great Highway by Sun Kil Moon

Old 12-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #17
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocksure View Post
pink was the first boris album i listened to and i was so disappointed. feedbacker changed that
Well they're both amazing soo...

I got to see them perform feedbacker in its entirety, right up against the stage. Ditto with about 90% of pink.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #18
Trotskilicious
Banned

hey maybe i'm just picking scabs here but how would a folk music fan not hear of mark kozelek

Old 12-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #19
Trotskilicious
Banned

i hate that shit and i know who he is

Old 12-17-2012, 01:33 AM   #20
cocksure
Apocalyptic Poster

wutttt

Old 12-17-2012, 02:23 AM   #21
redbull
Immortal

i think you should listen to these bands

why?
lower dens
caribou
castevet (the chicago punk band I have no idea if the black metal castevet is any good)
sharon van etten

Old 12-17-2012, 03:36 AM   #22
redbreegull

Ryan Adams – Heartbreaker, Cold Roses

Old 12-17-2012, 04:11 AM   #23
redbull
Immortal

heartbreaker is so fucking good

Old 12-17-2012, 04:13 AM   #24
redbreegull

COME PICK ME UP

Old 12-17-2012, 04:22 AM   #25
redbull
Immortal

STEAL ALL MY RECORDS

Old 12-17-2012, 04:22 AM   #26
redbull
Immortal

mostly I like amy and shakedown

Old 12-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #27
Trotskilicious
Banned

sharon van etten was a pleasant surprise at fun fun fun fest