Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2020, 04:47 PM   #1
Titty Boi
Pledge

Default New Kerrang Interview with Bill

https://www.kerrang.com/features/bei...rstood-genius/

Old 11-18-2020, 05:05 PM   #2
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

thanks for the heads up, "Titty Boi"

Old 11-18-2020, 05:27 PM   #3
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Shut the fuck up, Billy

Old 11-18-2020, 05:34 PM   #4
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
Shut the fuck up, Billy
this, without clicking on link

Old 11-18-2020, 05:39 PM   #5
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

haven't read it, but we can assume he hit on these points:

-the new material is getting a better reaction than anything he's put out in the past twenty years.
-20 years from now people will look back and say he was ahead of his time
-the culture just wasn't ready for it
-people want to marginalize him and don't treat him like the genre defining rock god he is

Old 11-18-2020, 05:41 PM   #6
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

"This time, it’s a mammoth feast of largely synth-based electronic music that spreads itself over two discs, where guitars make a subtle mark, if at all."

thanks I hate it.

Old 11-18-2020, 06:51 PM   #7
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Sexual View Post
this, without clicking on link

Old 11-18-2020, 07:07 PM   #8
Ram27
dumb

oh man can someone compile a list of people holding out hope that disc 2 had rock stuff

when it is infrastructure week

when are they gonna get to the fireworks factory

Old 11-18-2020, 07:14 PM   #9
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
“I’m sure you’ve got a picture somewhere in your life where you go, ‘What was I on about there?’ Does that mean you weren’t being yourself, or you weren’t being real at that point? No. It’s just that’s who you were then and today you’re different. Like, today I’m a dad, but 25 years ago I was an LSD-taking freak! Which is more true? Neither. They can all be true at the same time and they also all can not be true at the same time.”
good quote

Quote:
“When I was younger I was so worried about writing great songs that I literally couldn’t just be myself,”
ugh

Old 11-18-2020, 07:34 PM   #10
slunken
Virgo

Thanks billy you’re a loser

Old 11-18-2020, 09:10 PM   #11
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

"I’m working on a song right now that sounds like it could have been written in 1993."

Old 11-18-2020, 10:16 PM   #12
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Interview sucked ass!

Why did i read this. Guess i wanted to know if the dicks at kerrang were gonna call this bland keyboard hell for what it is

But Nick Russell is up big willies ass the entire piece, going so far as to attempt to paraphrase big willies major (predictably empty/shallow/meaningless) points as sort of a sympathetic, and very generous, third person narrator of the life and times of a big willie

Old 11-18-2020, 10:20 PM   #13
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Let’s play a game which of these quotes is big willie vs which is trump

Quote:
What people think they know or what they think they believe is not accurate, because actually, nothing is accurate.
Quote:
What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening
First of u jr scientists to PM me the correct answer gets to go fuck themselves

Old 11-18-2020, 11:16 PM   #14
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

trump doesn't use big words like "accurate"

Old 11-19-2020, 12:28 AM   #15
pinetree
Ownz

"misunderstood genius" in the title of the interview

you know BC only agreed to the interview if he knew it was going to be like this

Old 11-19-2020, 06:52 AM   #16
thedeadofnight
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
"I’m working on a song right now that sounds like it could have been written in 1993."
Lol classic Corgan

Old 11-19-2020, 07:39 AM   #17
Ram27
dumb

probably like fuckin sweet sweet with shitty synths and worse lyrics

Old 11-19-2020, 07:53 AM   #18
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

“I think Cyr is the result of us getting our confidence back that we can do whatever we want to do, and we’re not beholden to a certain style or idiomatic approach,” he says. “As long as we pick a lane we’re excited by, good stuff will come out of it. I’m working on a song right now that sounds like it could have been written in 1993. And if we recorded it that way people would be, like, ‘They’re back!’ No, we never went away… But if you were to sit in a room with Jimmy and I for 12 hours, our discussion is always, ‘How do we get to the next bus stop?’ That’s all we ever focus on.”

So guys:

there are bits of guitars here and there.. but overall it is all synthpoisoned

hahahahahah..... i knew it...we get 20 synthy songs....wohooooo

Old 11-19-2020, 09:51 AM   #19
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

His way of saying things has become so fucking convoluted. Is this rollercoaster of bull$hit really necessary all the time?

Old 11-19-2020, 09:54 AM   #20
run2pee
Minion of Satan

“Jim how do u think we can get this ass to the next bus stop?”

“Hmm. How bout ditch the fuzz, matter of fact, no guitar, then what if omg what if i play the same disco beat on every song, then we mix your vocal as dry and hi in the mix as we can without completely drowning out the music. Oh. And you should never stop singing, William. Sing away. Sing over every last second of this shit.”

Old 11-19-2020, 12:59 PM   #21
dustrocck
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
probably like fuckin sweet sweet with shitty synths and worse lyrics
I can imagine just how shitty Sweet Sweet would sound, even if he recorded it identically, expect sang in Billy 2020 voice.

"Sw'eet, sw'eet, sw'eet 'ittle after'oon"

Old 11-19-2020, 01:04 PM   #22
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
“I think Cyr is the result of us getting our confidence back that we can do whatever we want to do, and we’re not beholden to a certain style or idiomatic approach,” he says. “As long as we pick a lane we’re excited by, good stuff will come out of it. I’m working on a song right now that sounds like it could have been written in 1993. And if we recorded it that way people would be, like, ‘They’re back!’ No, we never went away… But if you were to sit in a room with Jimmy and I for 12 hours, our discussion is always, ‘How do we get to the next bus stop?’ That’s all we ever focus on.”

So guys:

there are bits of guitars here and there.. but overall it is all synthpoisoned

hahahahahah..... i knew it...we get 20 synthy songs....wohooooo
"no, we never went away"

let me get this straight, d'arcy is back in SP? jimmy was on adore? the 2007 reunion had all 4 original members? it wasn't just you on oceania of the original 4? you didn't take out a full page ad begging your band to reform when you released your first solo album?

i must be confused, thanks for clarifying.

this motherfucker is DELUSIONAL

Old 11-19-2020, 01:05 PM   #23
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrocck View Post
I can imagine just how shitty Sweet Sweet would sound, even if he recorded it identically, expect sang in Billy 2020 voice.

"Sw'eet, sw'eet, sw'eet 'ittle after'oon"
omg you're right. the only member of SP that needs to leave is Barney Corgan

Old 11-19-2020, 01:13 PM   #24
dustrocck
Demi-God

I actually think the article is pretty revealing. Reading between the lines, he suggests that nobody was going to accept the band in 1990 because they were something too different, so the songs had to be unbelievable.

He now says he's comfortable and wants his children to be raised in a supportive family, and wishes he could have "been himself" in 1990-2000.

I really do get the sense that he loves music and enjoys being in the band, and he wants to do things differently from other albums.

But I don't get the sense he feels a need to create great art anymore.

Maybe it's just a job now - legacy tour act, record some album pretty quickly, put out some cheap videos, pay the bills for his kids.

At the same time, he's still the prickly guy with a chip on his shoulder so if people criticize the work, then he has to attack.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:38 PM   #25
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Sexual View Post
you didn't take out a full page ad begging your band to reform when you released your first solo album?
You don't fucking pay attention, mate. He was playing the "heel", you know. It was all part of this crazy story he's been feeding us since he was 13 or so.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:59 PM   #26
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

i think this quote takes the cake for me in that article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man bill
“A lot of my reaction to the world when I was young was to be like, ‘Well, if you’re not gonna accept me as I am, then I’m gonna irritate you with who I’m not,’”

Old 11-19-2020, 02:16 PM   #27
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
i think this quote takes the cake for me in that article:

Precisely why I don't read or listen to his interviews anymore. It's all nonsense

Old 11-19-2020, 02:34 PM   #28
paranoid
Minion of Satan

that whole mellon collie anniversary video was such a waste of a good opportunity to really get into the dirt of making mellon collie. instead it's an hour and a half of him going on and on about how he's been playing the heel all along.

anyway.. I'm glad he's happy. and i think he is genuinely happy now. and I'm glad he, jimmy and james are making music together again. I've learned as a pumpkins fan that i don't have to like everything they put out.. so if this album is a stinker, which looks like it will be, i'm fine with it. i'll wait and see what the next one is like and get excited for more live shows, where i think they've been at their strongest since reforming.

also on his oceania quotes "people still talk about that album" because he just let himself write riffs etc etc.. take the hint. no one else can do that like you BC, so be the best at it? i dunno. i dug that album.

Old 11-19-2020, 11:47 PM   #29
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Sounds like one those post-MSOTS interviews where everyone in Zwan was allegedly happy. Hard to really believe him given his history.

Billy can be charming and down to earth and kind when he wants to be, and I do want him to be happy as a human being. He's gone through enough. I have a lot of empathy for all the experiences that traumatised him, and that's what drew me to his music in the first place.

But we all know he's also the guy who doesn't want to pay his taxes; he's still the fundamentally bitter guy who shows no sympathy for any marginalised people. He's the guy who, just a few weeks ago, felt the need to correct his fans and tell them Mike didn't quit -- he was fired. Think about it. Dude hired a 19 year old kid because he had a bad fight with his friend, pushed him into a situation he was unprepared for until his wrists were fucked, made him cancel his band's tour dates because he was "needed" when he wasn't needed after all. What's his excuse?

He's the guy who threatens to sue those who are less powerful than him, and who threatened Devi Ever with transphobic abuse. You go back to his Confessions, and you find him admitting to hooking up with a trans woman and then threatening to "break both [her] arms and legs" if she told anyone. ([her] because, obviously, he misgendered her).

These are the actions of a sociopath, or of someone who still has a whole lot of issues to process. Which one is it? The fact he apparently now lives in domestic bliss doesn't change this.

He can't dismiss everything as him "playing the heel". He believes his mistakes are his to atone for as he deems appropriate, but that's not how accountability works. That's not between him and his maker. The people he has hurt, both personally and as a public figure, don't owe him any good will, especially when he refuses to acknowledge any wrongdoing.

Re: his new music, I don't care about it, but that's neither here nor there. He can do whatever he wants with his time.

Last edited by Rairun : 11-19-2020 at 11:54 PM.

Old 11-19-2020, 11:59 PM   #30
Ram27
dumb

textbook post. ++++++++

IIRC wasn't he recently complaining about people wanting to separate art from the artist? it makes sense. i want to believe that the ruby outro is pure shoegaze bliss elicited from a consciousness far purer than that of corgan's.

cause as much as i want to believe he's 'like me' in the positive sense, being from the midwest, ostensibly into guitar music, and feeling alienated from the cool kids....that gets more and more impossible by the day

i dunno. i follow trump on twitter. i think some of his speeches are funny. ofc most of his views are reprehensible. output isn't necessarily predicated on character.