Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2017, 08:56 AM   #61
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Having Difficulty Moving The Plot Along? Just Do a Sam Tarley!

Old 07-25-2017, 08:58 AM   #62
LaBelle
Socialphobic

He's the in-fiction representation of George RR Martin now!

Old 07-25-2017, 03:56 PM   #63
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

so. one of the people surrounding Denaerys is apparently not to be trusted, and in the last episode we saw how both Tyrion and Varys were questioned by her. I personally think Missandei could be the one; it's kind of the one you'd least expect it from. that could also prove interesting for how grey worm will react when Missandei would be unmasked, since he's at the head of the army.

anyway.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:39 AM   #64
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Or maybe no one betrays her and she just goes mad suspecting everyone?

Old 07-26-2017, 11:07 AM   #65
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
so. one of the people surrounding Denaerys is apparently not to be trusted, and in the last episode we saw how both Tyrion and Varys were questioned by her. I personally think Missandei could be the one; it's kind of the one you'd least expect it from. that could also prove interesting for how grey worm will react when Missandei would be unmasked, since he's at the head of the army.

anyway.
that would be pretty dramatic. do you think betrayal was implied? I figured Euron just like, found them and got the jump on them.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:35 AM   #66
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

well i mean just happening upon them in the open sea would be a totally bullshit option, only that similar things have happened before on GoT (jorrah finding dany's abduction signal in thousands of square kilometers of forest comes to mind).

Old 07-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #67
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
well i mean just happening upon them in the open sea would be a totally bullshit option, only that similar things have happened before on GoT (jorrah finding dany's abduction signal in thousands of square kilometers of forest comes to mind).
this was grasslands though, not forest, if we're talking about the ring she left behind?

I mean the bullshit-o-meter still goes into the red but at least there's chance you see something glisten, as opposed to in a forest

Old 07-28-2017, 11:55 AM   #68
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

but Dany is being betrayed by someone and she's trying to find out by whom. in the earlier seasons there was some kind of witch woman who told her riddles about being betrayed later on, but I think there were clearer and more recent signals

not that the ships being attacked is one of those signals per se. they weren't just 'somewhere on open sea', they were on course from point a to point b, that should narrow down the options for finding and killing them

Old 07-28-2017, 04:53 PM   #69
LaBelle
Socialphobic

She'll betray herself

Plot twist!

Old 07-30-2017, 10:34 PM   #70
Ram27
dumb

holy shit that was fucking amazing

Old 07-31-2017, 08:28 AM   #71
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Agreed, this episode was great. Gave me season 1/2 vibes.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:43 AM   #72
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Bran has really seen some shit and is showing it.

I'm going to go with beige for Sansa's wedding dress, too.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:10 PM   #73
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

everyone seems to be loving it, I'm not sure about this one. everything seems so rushed all of the sudden. The editing in the last 15 minutes was quite confusing to me too.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:16 PM   #74
LaBelle
Socialphobic

The scenes between Dany and Jon Snow felt a bit fan-fictiony, but I enjoyed it.

I really liked the casterly rock montage, thought that was very well done.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:17 PM   #75
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
everyone seems to be loving it, I'm not sure about this one. everything seems so rushed all of the sudden. The editing in the last 15 minutes was quite confusing to me too.
Always a contrarian!!!

Old 07-31-2017, 03:27 PM   #76
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Nah I was just confused, suddenly there was Jaime with Olenna, I kind of missed that was the next scene so I thought they were still in casterly rock.

Also as they described the ways that the unsullied army could take Casterly Rock it wasn't clear to me if they were still going over the options or if the fight was actually happening. Weird.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:24 PM   #77
Ram27
dumb

yeah that really confused me too. the footage initially looked like a flashback or something

but i hate action and love political drama, so i love that we didn't have to sit through a bunch of yelling and stabbing and shit, and instead just got the results of the battles with a monologue over the top. it was a really cool technique but they've never done it before so i seriously didn't realize what was going on until jaime was talking in highgarden

Old 07-31-2017, 10:24 PM   #78
TuralyonW3
Immortal

The last 15 minutes were amazing. Not to be rude but I'm not sure how ya'll are confused what went down. fucking epic

Old 07-31-2017, 11:46 PM   #79
buzzard
Minion of Satan

The only thing notably absent from the Casterly Rock sequence was Willem Dafoe shouting, "There was a firefight!"

Old 08-01-2017, 08:36 AM   #80
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
yeah this kinda aptly recaps how i felt about the episode too

i'm really weirded out by how rushed everything is now. it's prominent on multiple storylines but perhaps the Sam-Jorah story is the best example. like, we'd only seen Sam peel of a tiny chunk of greyscale off Jorah last week, and it was absolutely agonizing, excruciating torture, and one episode later he's not only all de-scaled, but also fully recovered?

Old 08-01-2017, 10:04 AM   #81
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I for one don't think it would be much of an improvement if we got 3 or 4 episodes of people in boats going from point A to point B.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:14 AM   #82
LaBelle
Socialphobic

That's not to say I also don't think the change of pace is a little weird.

But at least it's not half a season of filler like last season.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #83
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
yeah this kinda aptly recaps how i felt about the episode too

i'm really weirded out by how rushed everything is now. it's prominent on multiple storylines but perhaps the Sam-Jorah story is the best example. like, we'd only seen Sam peel of a tiny chunk of greyscale off Jorah last week, and it was absolutely agonizing, excruciating torture, and one episode later he's not only all de-scaled, but also fully recovered?
oh please. if it was slower paced you'd be bitching that it was too slow.. "3 episodes of taking of Joran's scales WTF?" you know you fucking would

Old 08-01-2017, 10:23 AM   #84
LaBelle
Socialphobic

The quickness that everyone gets to their destination does make Arya's journey seem weirdly paced, at that rate she should've already arrived at winterfell.

Is she taking the scenic route?

Old 08-01-2017, 10:23 AM   #85
TuralyonW3
Immortal

I really dig the pace and efficiency of this season. narratives in all mediums typically increase in pace as they enter their third act.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #86
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
The quickness that everyone gets to their destination does make Arya's journey seem weirdly paced, at that rate she should've already arrived at winterfell.

Is she taking the scenic route?
there's not a "set clock" running throughout the show. the timeline is alternately compressed and decompressed for dramatic effect.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #87
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Great scott!

Old 08-01-2017, 11:49 AM   #88
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
oh please. if it was slower paced you'd be bitching that it was too slow.. "3 episodes of taking of Joran's scales WTF?" you know you fucking would
no, he has a fair point. for a disease that was supposed to be incurable they took quite the easy way out. Bam, cured! Not so uncurable at all. I mean from the moment he Sam and Jorah met I knew that was going to happen but the way it went just seemed somewhat easy for something that was supposed to be a fucking miracle.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:02 PM   #89
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

yes, that

it bothers me that such an enormous sense of difficulty, meticulously built by the show for close to a decade, is now being cheapened so much because it feels like the showrunners suddenly realized they gotta wrap all this shit up. greyscale is a non-curable wretched juggernaut of a disease? whoop, sam tarley reads a book and one episode later, my god, it's all gone! the murderous army of the dead is a horrifying all consuming threat that lingers for 6 full seasons? gee look at that, a hidden bloody MOUNTAIN of what kills them just miraculously popped up, and it happens to be so conveniently located in the hands of a character sympathetic to Jon Snow (who, btw, learned of the whole thing via another lightning fast AIM chat with Sam Tarley).

for 6 seasons the viewer is made to believe the imminent threat of the white walkers is absolutely indestructible, and then within three episodes some hatch door is opened and suddenly everybody's got a weapon that can kill them. that's copping the fuck out, man. that's too easy. if you can't see it, i dunno what to tell ya.

the set of rules you make up for a fantasy world is everything. if you don't stick to it, you reduce it to 'A Game Of Screenwriting Devices'. and when that happens, no adversity is frightening anymore, because you know you're always just a few convenient steps away from having everything rearranged comfortably as to suit the screenwriters to get from point A to point B plot wise. but it costs you credibility, and worse - plausiblity.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:26 PM   #90
Ram27
dumb

yeah the dragonglass thing always felt too convenient to me, even back in the early seasons and first few books. just make a ton of arrowheads and stand people atop the wall shooting Others. send a ton of ravens to everyone saying 'scary ice zombies can easily be killed with the included obsidian'. Problem solved.

it'd be more interesting if they could only be killed with valyrian steel

the writing ever since the show diverged from the books has gotten really, really lazy as well.