Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #121
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

(which actually contains some small typos in the spacing. I am not responsible for those)

Old 10-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #122
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Alientation?

Smashing Pumpkings

Nights of Malteser
Shivelry Sometime
Travuls
Solero
With Simplethy
Seak and you Shall Dance, Roy

Old 10-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #123
Kahlo

You should offer your services to the band. Then maybe they would get a sweet sponsorship deal with an icecream company for Solero.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #124
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Star View Post
It's a stream via private link. It usually is these days, very rarely CDs. If you're lucky you get a downloadable link, but with bigger releases they're usually just a stream.

Here's the full press release (which actually contains some small typos in the spacing. I am not responsible for those):
Could you please re-post the link to the stream? it seems to be redacted by mistake

thanks

Old 10-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #125
Razor Star
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
Could you please re-post the link to the stream? it seems to be redacted by mistake

thanks
Weird. I was sure I'd included it.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #126
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
(which actually contains some small typos in the spacing. I am not responsible for those)
I am also not responsible for the posts I make on this board, nor the things I say in real life

Old 10-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #127
FoolofaTook

imma use that one my next test.

(which actually includes some small mistakes in the answers. i am not responsible for those)

Old 10-11-2018, 04:12 PM   #128
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

A thought I just had---

They recorded all 8 songs in a month? So, 2 songs a week? Seems rushed. And I feel like that's exactly what we're going to hear: a rushed, contrived EP with horrible vocals and unrelatable lyrical themes. It's like Billy rushed to get James into the studio before he had a chance to say "Sorry Billy, I'm only in for one last tour, and then I'm out. Best of luck to you."

Old 10-11-2018, 04:36 PM   #129
dustrocck
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyngel View Post
A thought I just had---

They recorded all 8 songs in a month? So, 2 songs a week? Seems rushed. And I feel like that's exactly what we're going to hear: a rushed, contrived EP with horrible vocals and unrelatable lyrical themes. It's like Billy rushed to get James into the studio before he had a chance to say "Sorry Billy, I'm only in for one last tour, and then I'm out. Best of luck to you."
Seems pretty clear they were mostly just jamming and thought they should have a single to promote along with the reunion tour dates and Rick Rubin convinced them to record all 8 songs.

Billy has said in the last year or so that he doesn't have the energy or focus that he did for SD or MCIS, you're not going to hear 8 jillion overdubbed guitars a la Ruby.

Silvery Sometimes was a sign that maybe there actually is something worth pursuing with Jimmy and James, which I didn't necessarily expect.

It's really going to be Shiny Vol 2 that they should be fully judged on I think.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:25 AM   #130
megalomano
Pledge

Default Shiny and Oh, So Bright volumes 1- First listen

Taken from Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashingPum..._first_listen/

Album review

1) Knights of Malta

- Sounds nothing like any SP song you've heard. The only thing that comes close is the Puff Daddy remix of Ava Adore. Catchy, weird, with a backwards guitar solo (James I think), loads of strings, a woah-a-woah-oh hook, Billy singing about riding rainbows, 70s gospel backing singers. I actually REALLY like it, but it will divide people. The most Rick Rubin song here.

2) Silvery Sometimes (ghosts) you know, It fits really well here. Knights of Malta and SS are recognizably the same record.

3) Travels

Glorious "Smashing Pumpkins" pop, somewhere between Stand Inside Your Love and That's The Way My Love Is, but more mid-tempo than either. Similar sparkly sound to Silvery. Actually has a very Zwan feel. I think all three guitarists are here, but it's possible of course that it's just Billy. The only track here that could really have been on Oceania (there's some bass -probably WPC- that is very Nicole actually). Strong.

4) Solara

You know this one, obviously, but what's surprising is how much it stands out in the first half of the record. It's substantially heavier than anything we've heard so far far, and the album definitely builds to it. Definitely changes the tone, it's a very "bright" album up to this points, this definitely brings the darkness. Also the only time Jimmy really lets loose.

5) Alienation

Harks back to Monuments' Run To Me with the synths and beat. Has some unexpected turns in the chord sequence, and some unmistakably James Iha e-bow. Likeable, if slight until it hits the drama at the end and kicks up a notch.

6) Marchin' On

The other big, heavy stomper here- it sound like Judas Priest with am AWESOME breakdown like something from Master of Puppets. Sounds like it would be the b-side to Solara, if that makes sense. Kind of Zeritgeisty. James on the old e-bow again. This one will KILL live. Can't believe it's on the same record as Knights of Malta- the most tonally polarized album since MCIS.

7) With Sympathy

Another very Rick Rubin sounding production (very dry, almost brittle). Again reminds of me a bit of the feel of Mary Star of the Sea.

8) Seek and you Shall Destroy.

Palatable mid tempo rocker, but not really a stand out. Combines the dark and the light well but doesn't go enough places for me.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:40 AM   #131
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

I think I know who the writer is

Old 10-12-2018, 04:14 AM   #132
Kahlo

Thanks for sharing this. I hadn't seen it before.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:46 AM   #133
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Seems like a legit source. You have to wonder why they choose to post it on Reddit rather than Netphoria - the internet's warmest-hearted Smashing Pumpkins forum.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:53 AM   #134
Kahlo

Is this the guy that writes for the guardian? I like his no-nonsense reportage style. If only he'd register here. He could be a star with that razor sharp wit.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:25 AM   #135
Razor Star
Pledge

I think whoever it is has massively missed the mark, and their writing is ruined by typos.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:34 AM   #136
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Not at all, the mention of typos made me read all of it, sadly I don't find them.

Now that I read it, what about backing vocals? Is Katie on this? And JC, is Silvery the only song that sounds like a machine drum loop, I hope?

Old 10-12-2018, 06:56 AM   #137
Razor Star
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post

Now that I read it, what about backing vocals? Is Katie on this? And JC, is Silvery the only song that sounds like a machine drum loop, I hope?

I don't think Katie's on it. There's several female gospel-style voices on Knights of Malta, so that could be her but it sounds to me like they got session-singers in. I know James is meant to be on here somewhere but I still haven't spotted something that's definitely him.

Drum loops: Travels pulls the same trick as Silvery, Alienation does too to an extent, but builds to some very JC drumming. The rest feels quite natural.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:59 AM   #138
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Right, thanks, I remember reading something on here (maybe an instagram post) about bringing in a choir for recording, can't remember for what recording session that was, though.

Is that the new normal btw, getting the streams over a month before the release date? seems early.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:08 AM   #139
Razor Star
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Right, thanks, I remember reading something on here (maybe an instagram post) about bringing in a choir for recording, can't remember for what recording session that was, though.

Is that the new normal btw, getting the streams over a month before the release date? seems early.
You need a couple of weeks with a record to really write properly about it, plus people have different deadlines. They'll be reviewers writing for monthly magazines who will have had the record before I did. I know in this case the PR put in requests to management for writers he wanted to get it earlier, and he knows I'm a fan. I imagine there'll be a more general mail-out closer to the time.

I wouldn't consider what I wrote here to be a proper review, more a first listen I wanted to share with people who'd be interested.

Also I'm interviewing Jeff next week, and I wanted to have heard the record in advance!

Old 10-12-2018, 07:41 AM   #140
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyngel View Post
A thought I just had---

I can't remember if it was Killers or Number of the Beast but Iron Maiden recorded it in two weeks.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:44 AM   #141
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

When does your review come out? Will it be in the Guardian? Will be interested to see what rating you give it.

Based on past reference I see the likes of Mojo and Q maybe just giving it two or three stars.

Just on the album, does the drum sound change at all, or is it that over-mastered distorted sound?

Old 10-12-2018, 07:45 AM   #142
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

If you’re expecting an SP album in 2018 to have any effort put behind it, you’re not paying attention. It’s all rushed, and then BC wonders why the output doesn’t catch on.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:55 AM   #143
emilem
Demi-God

Quote:
You need a couple of weeks with a record to really write properly about it
if you need few weeks to know a record as straight as new pumpkins you aren't doing a very good job. when i wrote for magazines you got like a week to write 4 reviews unless it was an editorial review which i guess has more time to gestate but still. you develop a quick reaction to things, most music isn't really that advanterous to sit down and contemplate. if you had to sit down with every record for a few weeks it would be like relearning how to ride a bike every time you ride a bike.

streams come early because there is scheadule to press, and its just too much of a risk missing out the deadine for review to be out around the release time. and month is actually very short, i used to get albums up to half a year in advance. it got cut short when everyhting started leaking absurdly early, like second mars volta album which was on slsk like a year before they got it out. maybe more.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #144
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

I am so longing for this fucked up sp 3/4 reunion.
Solara is sooo bad.
Silvery is good.
Review seems that this is gonna be a 3 star record.
Dry mix, bully vibrato up front.
2 more jimbo drumloops
James as impressive as on ogilulu
Shredder mtae solos everywhere.
But mostly i am curious of run2me approach 2.0.

Read the tracklist. I knew that solara and seek n destroy sound metallic, but in a bad way.
You know thats the modern way. Hahahaha

This review troller got blocked on bollys insta for insulting strawtits

Old 10-12-2018, 08:12 AM   #145
Razor Star
Pledge

Quote:
if you need few weeks to know a record as straight as new pumpkins you aren't doing a very good job.
This will be a 700 word editorial piece. Plus, as I said, I'm interviewing Jeff next week and wanted some time with the record before that. Obviously if it's a 100-200 word magazine review I wouldn't put as much effort into it, but if i'm writing in-depth I like to really get to know an album, assuming i have the luxury to do so.

You're right though, after a few days I could do a perfectly good job with this now.

Last edited by Razor Star : 10-12-2018 at 08:24 AM.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:13 AM   #146
Razor Star
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
This review troller got blocked on bollys insta for insulting strawtits
That definitely wasn't me.

You're right though, it's a three-star record.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #147
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
That definitely wasn't me.

You're right though, it's a three-star record.
Out of ten?

Old 10-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #148
FoolofaTook

Thumbs up

ZARATHRUSTRA!

Old 10-12-2018, 10:12 AM   #149
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Talking

Quote:
Also I'm interviewing Jeff next week, and I wanted to have heard the record in advance!
I will PayPal you £20 if the first question you ask him is "Who are you"

Old 10-12-2018, 10:17 AM   #150
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
I will PayPal you £20 if the first question you ask him is "Who are you"
I'll add another 20 if you show him this

https://66.media.tumblr.com/67d1bc6e...9jmzo1_640.png