Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2015, 07:55 PM   #181
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
And what makes you think being "global phenomenon" big is in any way correlative with being a good band?
Well, sometimes an artist is so unarguably great that the masses just can't deny it. It's how SP sold out arenas during their SD/MCIS stretch. It was phenomenal music that even the masses couldn't deny. Obviously most of the "good bands" that I listen to nowadays are underground and indie... But they sure as hell don't get any press on these mainstream blogs.

Pretty much all I'm saying is that these bigtime blogs are inauthentic horse-shit. It seems to me like you're pretty much agreeing with that sentiment, so I'm not exactly sure what it is you're disagreeing with me here?

Old 09-06-2015, 07:55 PM   #182
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I think the concert sales speak for themselves. Pitchfork raved for years about how Lana Del-Ray was like the 2nd coming of Christ yet she's still playing shitty little clubs around North-America.
no she's not. well i guess to you anything less than an amplitheatre is failure

japandroids got the pitchfork bump btw

Old 09-06-2015, 07:57 PM   #183
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Name one band that has existed in the last 15 years that you would identify as "cultural phenomenon" big.
Coldplay

Quote:
And what makes you think being "global phenomenon" big is in any way correlative with being a good band?

Old 09-06-2015, 07:58 PM   #184
fuzzyroes
Banned

how long has pitchfork and the rest of these big blogs been sticking out their chests and thumping on their stomachs with their praise of Lana-Del Ray? It's gotta be about 6 or 7 years now right? And it still hasn't caught on

Old 09-06-2015, 07:58 PM   #185
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Well, sometimes an artist is so unarguably great that the masses just can't deny it. It's how SP sold out arenas during their SD/MCIS stretch. It was phenomenal music that even the masses couldn't deny. Obviously most of the "good bands" that I listen to nowadays are underground and indie... But they sure as hell don't get any press on these mainstream blogs.

Pretty much all I'm saying is that these bigtime blogs are inauthentic horse-shit. It seems to me like you're pretty much agreeing with that sentiment, so I'm not exactly sure what it is you're disagreeing with me here?
Pitchfork caters to a diverse range of tastes and really often has put me onto niche music that I love. Yes they take kickbacks to promo some bands but they're light years ahead of rolling stone and their ilk.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:02 PM   #186
fuzzyroes
Banned

well, any information source that puts out biased information based on how much they're paid is an essentially useless resource in my books... Hell, how do you know what to check out or not? they rave about something and you waste an hour of your life listening to some corporate bullshit. Fuck that noise

Old 09-06-2015, 08:02 PM   #187
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

I also don't know where you get the idea that pitchfork specifically champions Lana del ray. Rolling stone put her on their cover, but pitchfork panned Born To Die: http://m.pitchfork.com/reviews/album...-lana-del-rey/

Old 09-06-2015, 08:03 PM   #188
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
well, any information source that puts out biased information based on how much they're paid is an essentially useless resource in my books... Hell, how do you know what to check out or not? they rave about something and you waste an hour of your life listening to some corporate bullshit. Fuck that noise
Or you go their new releases playlist, listen to one song off each album, see if it does anything for you? You can hear literally hundreds of new bands in an hour.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:04 PM   #189
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
how long has pitchfork and the rest of these big blogs been sticking out their chests and thumping on their stomachs with their praise of Lana-Del Ray? It's gotta be about 6 or 7 years now right? And it still hasn't caught on
yes it has

Old 09-06-2015, 08:04 PM   #190
Trotskilicious
Banned

why do you have to embarrass yourself can you take our word for it

Old 09-06-2015, 08:05 PM   #191
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
I also don't know where you get the idea that pitchfork specifically champions Lana del ray. Rolling stone put her on their cover, but pitchfork panned Born To Die: http://m.pitchfork.com/reviews/album...-lana-del-rey/
they hyped lana and born to die and still panned it and still hyped her

Old 09-06-2015, 08:43 PM   #192
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
i think their first album is amazing really. hearing it played live though soon after i thought id been hustled. it is weird to love a band on record and then see, maybe it was off nights for them or a terrible engineer, but i was blown away with how they couldn't play. id love to blame the aound guy but the initial time seeing em and then seeing them even more up close a decade later and it being worse sorts made me form the opinion theyre a studio band helped by whatever facade that environment helped them to create. that first record sounds great. illusions and facades to me, but i mean, its still great to listen to on record. i would just never wate time seeing them live again.
word. the first album is dope for sure. sometimes when I am feeling really angry and negative I still spin that and I'm just like fuck yeah.

I only saw them once and it was in a festival in the rain in 2007, but they blew me away. actually even the new songs sounded good. Rest My Chemistry was amazing live. when did what's his face leave the band?

Old 09-06-2015, 08:55 PM   #193
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

i haven't seen them live in person but hearing a couple of recordings a few years back i remember being surprised at just how different it was, sounded so tinny or something (not just because of a bad recording or anything, just the band sound in general) but the tv performances seemed pretty good

i think the "beefed-up" drum sound & whatnot that they had on their records helped them immensely. half the joy of hearing totbl is how damn well that thing was recorded & mixed or whatever

Old 09-07-2015, 11:22 AM   #194
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
i feel sorry for people like this - especially when they proclaim to love music

i mean - it doesn't have to be this way. are you just not trying that hard?
nah its the artists that aren't

i love the music i love. I can't say i love music in general. I've always been clear my tastes are narrow. Though i cant make sense of them most days. I have a theory there's only certain keys i like but i haven't verified if that's true yet.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:53 AM   #195
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

hahaha, certain keys, jesus

in any case, i don't think it's fair to say you "don't love an album" because of one off track. that's kinda missing the point of an album, isn't it?

Old 09-07-2015, 03:31 PM   #196
Elphenor
Braindead

teb likes nothing but consonance that's what he means by certain keys which is fine

Old 09-07-2015, 06:49 PM   #197
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
why do you have to embarrass yourself can you take our word for it
I read a lot of the current blogs and some of the music they champion is just puzzling. I think the "kick-backs" are one of the largest factors for who they promote.

The blogosphere was recently raving about a new artist named Colleen Green, and all of the write ups on her music fit a perfect description of what I was wanting to hear. I figured with the description that i found exciting and the consistent narrative that I'd come across that I'd stumbled onto something that I'd really enjoy. So I go on and download the album with much anticipation only to end up hearing the most vapid, basic, boring, unoriginal music I've ever heard. It pretty much sounded like a very tired, weak, dumbed-down version of Veruca Salt.

I couldn't believe it... So I did some more searching on the artist and her promo picks show her showing off her arm-pit hair while wearing a little kids cardboard birthday hat. All I could do was let out an exasperated laugh. I don't know why I was surprised though... This has become par for the course when I check out blog-phenomenon bands. Shallow, dumbed-down bullshit for the hipster trendies.

Yes, I'm sure theres diamonds in the rough out there and some good bands get hyped too but it's all just so shallow and seems like an awful route to go down to discover new music.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 09-07-2015 at 06:55 PM.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:52 PM   #198
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Holy fuck you are so stupid it physically hurts to read your posts sometimes.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:53 PM   #199
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

You criticise an entire wing of music media because you don't know how to preview something before you download it. Your fault, moron.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:55 PM   #200
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

At this point your argument has been reduced to "well this one time someone described something in a way where i thought i would like it but i didn't so therefore all BLOGGER BANDS ARE BAD BLOGS ARE BAD MUSIC NOW IS SHIT BRING BACK COOL BANDS LIKE CANDLEBOX OR WHATEVER.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:59 PM   #201
slunken
Virgo

to be fair, a LOT of modern music (especially blog rock and indie bandcamp genres) do nothing but ape something that already existed once before.

sometimes i feel like you're not supposed to be enjoying the actual music, instead you're just appreciating their choices and aesthetic decisions or level of commitment to a predefined style.

when fuzzy writes

"So I go on and download the album with much anticipation only to end up hearing the most vapid, basic, boring, unoriginal music I've ever heard. It pretty much sounded like a very tired, weak, dumbed-down version of _____"

i totally get that. of course its not true all across the board but its definitely happening. i mean, millenials generally don't give a shit about history or cultural context (about anything) so its all fair game to them. very interesting times.

i just got back from vacation so i've been lurking here and there and i really have no horse in this race but i just wanted to throw this out there.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #202
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
You criticise an entire wing of music media because you don't know how to preview something before you download it. Your fault, moron.
I know how to "preview something". But for me, often times the "single" or whatever ends up being one of my least favorite tracks on an album. If I'm gonna give something a fair shot I'll usually listen to at least 1 of their complete albums unless it's just something I have no interest in hearing.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:04 PM   #203
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
At this point your argument has been reduced to "well this one time someone described something in a way where i thought i would like it but i didn't so therefore all BLOGGER BANDS ARE BAD BLOGS ARE BAD MUSIC NOW IS SHIT BRING BACK COOL BANDS LIKE CANDLEBOX OR WHATEVER.
Nah man, that's simply my latest example. This has happened countless times over the years. I think guitar based music is just dead and stale.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:07 PM   #204
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

well then express your shitty opinion like what it is: a shitty opinion, and stop trying to tell me that there's some grand fucking blogger conspiracy to push shitty music on people and that we'd all be better off if people would just start buying music from Sony again because those guys know good talent or something.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:11 PM   #205
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

And if you sincerely feel like music was better in the 90s under major labels and that guitar music is stale, well it sucks to be you cause there's a whole galaxy of sweet guitar music out there right now for you to discover but you don't have the cognitive faculties to enjoy it because you need some easy, bland, chorus-heavy fucking bro rock bullshit cause its the only thing your tiny little monkey brain can process.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:12 PM   #206
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
to be fair, a LOT of modern music (especially blog rock and indie bandcamp genres) do nothing but ape something that already existed once before.

sometimes i feel like you're not supposed to be enjoying the actual music, instead you're just appreciating their choices and aesthetic decisions or level of commitment to a predefined style.

when fuzzy writes

"So I go on and download the album with much anticipation only to end up hearing the most vapid, basic, boring, unoriginal music I've ever heard. It pretty much sounded like a very tired, weak, dumbed-down version of _____"

i totally get that. of course its not true all across the board but its definitely happening. i mean, millenials generally don't give a shit about history or cultural context (about anything) so its all fair game to them. very interesting times.

i just got back from vacation so i've been lurking here and there and i really have no horse in this race but i just wanted to throw this out there.
Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I feel, but articulated a lot more clearly. Theres no doubt a lot of great bands out there still doing their thing but it's getting harder and harder to find. Even "new" music that I'm into that I discover is from guys who have been at it in the underground scene for ages.

I guess as far as upcoming new artists it's all about EDM. Band-based music just seems like something that is void of all originality these days... Nothing new and exciting at all. I just have a passion for a sound of a guitar, so even exploring electronic music doesn't really do anything for me.

Maybe I'll start incorporating guitar with electronic music in a unique way... Could be a way to reach the best of both worlds.

I

Old 09-07-2015, 07:13 PM   #207
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

You are literally the thing you claim to be railing against. The only bands you ever push play verse-chorus-verse college radio alt-rock that only just falls inside the category of "alternative". You love almost exclusively music that is the definition of tepid and mediocre.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:15 PM   #208
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
YMaybe I'll start incorporating guitar with electronic music in a unique way... Could be a way to reach the best of both worlds.
OH MY GOD DUDE THATS SUCH AN AMAZING IDEA YOU JUST HAD IF ONLY SOMEONE ELSE HAD THOUGHT TO - OH NO WAIT, YOU DUMB CUNT, PEOPLE HAVE BEEN DOING THAT FOR YEARS.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #209
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

As i've said here, if you can't find new guitar music that interests you, its your own fault for either not knowing where to look or being too stupid to enjoy said new guitar music.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:19 PM   #210
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
And if you sincerely feel like music was better in the 90s under major labels and that guitar music is stale, well it sucks to be you cause there's a whole galaxy of sweet guitar music out there right now for you to discover but you don't have the cognitive faculties to enjoy it because you need some easy, bland, chorus-heavy fucking bro rock bullshit cause its the only thing your tiny little monkey brain can process.
That's not what I'm saying man. Lord knows there was a ton of shit in the 90's as well... For every exciting act there was 20 Dishwalla's. But from an underground aspect there was tons of pivitol indie acts and records in the 90's. If you liked passionate, aggressive guitar based music the 90's was a goldmine.

Nowadays it's like this shitty ELO like dance rock, poser folk-rock etc... It's all so pretentious and based on status rather than the pure emotion and energy that the artists are trying to achieve. And the reason that music is so "big" is due to how shitty blogs pump it up constantly. These blogs are very influential and they're breaking mostly shit to the masses. It's a shame.