Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2002, 06:25 AM   #1
Augie
Amish Rake Fighter

Red face outgrowing the pumpkins...???

Im so over the smashing pumpkins message boards. Im so over Billys quotes. Im over waiting for zwan. Im over putting effort into caring about the freakin Metro DVD .

For two complete years I basically lived a pumpkins life. I walked talked and ate pumpkins.
No really. Pumpkins are even my favourite vegetable.

I was completely smitten with billy. Completely. And Darcy and jimmy and of course the most lovely James, who I think is maybe now my favourite Pumpkin. (Well he is definitely the best looking anyhow) But this was when I was a 14, 15 year old girl.
I guess they just gave me what I needed at the time.

Over this past year my Pumpkins love has wavered, at times even completely evaporated, sometimes i am struck by niggling thoughts in the back of my mind which remind me that Billy Corgan is basically a trashy AMERICAN,
god he is SO american, with no taste, a horrible voice, a pretensious (errspelling mistake?????) cocky lame personality. I thinbk maybe thats the biggest problem, he is really the kind of person I dont like.

I wouldnt really care, in fact im kind of relieved that I can criticise him, instead of idolising him now, and I still appreciate the music

but its not the same, it hardly ever makes me cry or gives me shivers or makes me jump around the house screaming , i never ring my friends up just for the sake of telling them how beautiful a song is. Ive stopped trying to convert everyone I meet into Pumpkinheads.I no longer have the desire to be best buds with Billy.Or to change the world and be part of the rock revolution.

Rock music is boring.

Im nearly 17 now, and im edging more towards electronica, jazz, world music, well actually anything other than rock music.It goes nowhere new. youve heard one rock song and youve heard them all.
Well i know thats not true, but you know..
Maybe ive just overdosed these last few years. OK I will stop blabbering, but I was wondering whether anyone else feels like they are outgrowing the pumpkins?Or am I just not a true Pumpkinhead.

I always thought i would be one of those types who likes the pumkpins when they are still like 30 or something.

Mellon Collie will always be my fave album though. But now i cant be sure whether its because of the emotional connotations, or my actual admiration of the muse,.. the sweet ,sweet music

I wish I could still feel that way about them, it was such a fuzzy, warm exciting feeling.. but I think in many ways the pumpkins have really shaped my personality, maybe...who knows

Once again I will stop blabbering, you netphorians are meant to be all objective, hey? Well , I dont really care. If you want to be wankers, i dont really have a problem with it. Im not saying you are. I Prefer here to the O borad. But when I used to be obsessed with these pumpkins boards I would post on the obard e o board because I thought you guys would pick up on the fact that I wasnt intelligent enough...heheheh And then u would call me an O boarder....I was pretty lame. Im always looking back at myself and thinking how much of an embarrassment I am..as im sure I will with this post.
But at the moment i dont really care.

Oh yeah while Im at it I may as well add-

The one thing that Billy Corgan did that completely disheartened me was the try try try video....god that made me angry. It is so bad. SO bad. So cliched. ugly so ugly .err frustration to the max!!!

And the Jonus Akerland or whatever his name is short film on the dvd with the stupid people who look like wanky models off a levis commercial or something. BUT THE WORST THING THAT COMPLETELy changed my judgement of the Bman was the fact that he said something along the lines of the try try try video being 'a work of art' and people supposedly disregarded it because it was too BOLD..yeah right . Well it certainly changed my life..NOT, ok excuse the lame sarcasm but im feeling kinda bitter at the moment...I always thought billy had some sense of integrity, i just cant undersatnd how he could support that weak peice of commercial piss.

i like zwan though.

Old 12-03-2002, 06:35 AM   #2
Boycott Graceland
Socialphobic

Arrow Re: outgrowing the pumpkins...???

Quote:
Originally posted by Augie

Over this past year my Pumpkins love has wavered, at times even completely evaporated, sometimes i am struck by niggling thoughts in the back of my mind which remind me that Billy Corgan is basically a trashy AMERICAN,
god he is SO american, with no taste, a horrible voice, a pretensious (errspelling mistake?????) cocky lame personality. I thinbk maybe thats the biggest problem, he is really the kind of person I dont like.

i like zwan though.
i hope for your sake that you are a troll.

Old 12-03-2002, 09:17 AM   #3
dustdream
Pledge

Default Re: outgrowing the pumpkins...???

Quote:

I always thought i would be one of those types who likes the pumkpins when they are still like 30 or something.

i'm one of those people. and because i'm so old i play it really f***ing loud.

Old 12-03-2002, 11:05 AM   #4
workingdogv1
Pledge

too long; didn't read

Old 12-03-2002, 11:10 AM   #5
Salena Child
Apocalyptic Poster

if you are over them then why are you here?

Old 12-03-2002, 11:14 AM   #6
wangcomputers
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Boycott Graceland

i hope for your sake that you are a troll.
he's not a troll for saying that.
it's true, corgan is trashy, and has a cocky lame personality.

he's only a troll for saying that he likes zwan.

Quote:
Originally posted by workingdogv1
too long; didn't read
well he did admit to "blabbering" several times, but basically i think his view pretty much reflects the views of the majority of general chat posters.

Old 12-03-2002, 12:47 PM   #7
Muzzled1979
Amish Rake Fighter

I'm a 30 something and listening to some of the crap that is spewed out by some bands recently, I've grown to appreciate the pumpkins music even more since they've broken up.

Old 12-03-2002, 12:51 PM   #8
O'Doyle Rules
Demi-God

we're all very proud of you.

Old 12-03-2002, 01:14 PM   #9
The Pantsmaster
Heroic Fist-flinging Tornado

you know, you've really opened my eyes. i've been trapped in a world of illusion designed by that lame american corgan himself. i wonder how much money the used record store will give me for machina...

Old 12-03-2002, 02:14 PM   #10
jesushero
Amish Rake Fighter

I agree about the whole Try,Try,Try video, it pretty much sucks and breaks absolutely no new ground, that I agree with.

It pains me to even watch it.

Tim

Old 12-03-2002, 02:42 PM   #11
nancykitten
Pledge

fuck off then hunny

Old 12-03-2002, 10:32 PM   #12
Apart
Apocalyptic Poster

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Salena Child
wow. idiot of the year award for this cunt.

Old 12-03-2002, 11:15 PM   #13
Liquid-J
keeping it to a dull roar

Quote:
Originally posted by wangcomputers

he's not a troll for saying that.
he's only a troll for saying that he likes zwan.

well he did admit to "blabbering" several times, but basically i think his view pretty much reflects the views of the majority of general chat posters.
he's a she, i think... she said she used to be a 15 yr old girl.. not a big deal, but yeah.

Old 12-04-2002, 07:47 AM   #14
Augie
Amish Rake Fighter

god. you people are so dissapointingly predictable.

Basically everyone here has acknowledged that Billy has a bad personality. Its general knowledge, no need to call a sweet young girl a troll because shes able to recognise an arrogant wanker when she sees one.

I am here because i like the pumpkins. love them even.
maybe.

I was just wondering if other people began to become less infatuated with them as they grew older. AS I now find myself doing.

I wasnt setting out to attack anyone. God.
Why do all these people go to the effort of making idiotic one line insults without even reading the freakin post properly.

Old 12-04-2002, 01:18 PM   #15
sarasvati
Apocalyptic Poster

I think the reason why people are asking if you are here or not, is because the first thing you type is

"Im so over the smashing pumpkins message boards."

However, if you keep posting here and claim that you are not over the message boards, you might get some more sympathy here:

www.smashingpumpkins.com

Old 12-04-2002, 02:04 PM   #16
metal machine
Pledge

oh my god. you're very pretentious yourself. billy has, at least, good reason to be pretentious; a hell lot of talent.

i agree that the rock music on the surface has grown really bad, but there are still good rock music out there. and i don't listen to straight rock music a lot, and my taste is very variated, but i still turn back to my good old friends and favourites, da pumpkins.

Old 12-04-2002, 09:04 PM   #17
ZackZ
Mister Class and Quality

When I first got into the Pumpkins, I loved them a lot, maybe not as obsessesive as you, because I never tried to convert anyone. You can only listen to an album so many times and it becomes old and predictable (obviously) instead of fresh and new.

Rock music does not suck. TODAY's music sucks, every last bit of it, besides some "underground" types that I like such as Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen and Al DiMeola. I do not buy into all this return of rock bullshit if the bands they are hyping are no talent hacks like the White Stripes or The Vines. These fucks should be shot for ever touching an instrument.

If you want to hear GOOD rock, you have to go back in time. Bands like Genesis, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Yes, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return to Forever, (old) Al DiMeola, etc. are GOOD. And then obviously there were the more popular acts such as Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, etc. There is tons of good music I know I haven't heard yet, so I don't even bother pretending to like the spoonfed SHIT that is on the radio. I'm not looking for the next big thing, I'm looking for the next old thing that never got that big.

As for electronic music, that is far more boring than rock. It's nothing but clicks and whistles. If I wanted to hear harsh, repetitive noise, I would go to a construction site.

Old 12-04-2002, 09:22 PM   #18
Injektilo
twenty some years....

Quote:
Originally posted by ZackZ
When I first got into the Pumpkins, I loved them a lot, maybe not as obsessesive as you, because I never tried to convert anyone. You can only listen to an album so many times and it becomes old and predictable (obviously) instead of fresh and new.

Rock music does not suck. TODAY's music sucks, every last bit of it, besides some "underground" types that I like such as Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen and Al DiMeola. I do not buy into all this return of rock bullshit if the bands they are hyping are no talent hacks like the White Stripes or The Vines. These fucks should be shot for ever touching an instrument.

If you want to hear GOOD rock, you have to go back in time. Bands like Genesis, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Yes, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return to Forever, (old) Al DiMeola, etc. are GOOD. And then obviously there were the more popular acts such as Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, etc. There is tons of good music I know I haven't heard yet, so I don't even bother pretending to like the spoonfed SHIT that is on the radio. I'm not looking for the next big thing, I'm looking for the next old thing that never got that big.

As for electronic music, that is far more boring than rock. It's nothing but clicks and whistles. If I wanted to hear harsh, repetitive noise, I would go to a construction site.

hahaha, I dare you to go post and defend that on the music board here.

And I'm gonna stick up for billy on the personality issue.
Yes, its pretty apparent he was (maybe still is) a control freak in the studio. But he's got some pretty good points going on otherwise.
-did the autograph sessions for an entire tour.
- machina 2 to the fans
- charity tour
- open taping for zwan
- most importantly, he's a nice guy when it comes to the fans. maybe not so nice to rock critics, but in the end they don't matter.

He's not perfect, but I don't think his personality is any worse than alot of people I've met, and it seems pretty good compared to most celebraties.

Old 12-04-2002, 09:26 PM   #19
Undone
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Injektilo
hahaha, I dare you to go post and defend that on the music board here.

And I'm gonna stick up for billy on the personality issue.
Yes, its pretty apparent he was (maybe still is) a control freak in the studio. But he's got some pretty good points going on otherwise.
-did the autograph sessions for an entire tour.
- machina 2 to the fans
- charity tour
- open taping for zwan
- most importantly, he's a nice guy when it comes to the fans. maybe not so nice to rock critics, but in the end they don't matter.

He's not perfect, but I don't think his personality is any worse than alot of people I've met, and it seems pretty good compared to most celebraties.
Zack's post was pretty hilarious. I'll just agree with you.

Old 12-04-2002, 11:41 PM   #20
Shroom
Pledge

Augie, you're 17, it's a phase we all went through when we were 17, you'll grow out of it.

Old 12-05-2002, 02:09 AM   #21
ZackZ
Mister Class and Quality

Good god, those people on the music board are delusional fucktards. Someone else can go ahead and repost my infinitely insightful post. I woulnd't know how to go about doing it with any kind of finesse.

Old 12-05-2002, 04:33 AM   #22
Augie
Amish Rake Fighter

Zackz>>>>>>

Quote:
I used to have the exact same opinion. I couldnt understand what people could get out of electronic type stuff, Id tried listening to different sorts in the past but I really couldnt connect with any of it at all . But then it just kinda clicked somehow and now i totally dig it.

I think maybe part of the reason is that the actual music of rock music tends to be quite predictable alot of the time,and you gradually lose interest which lead me to caring more about the lyrics or the motivation behind a song or whatever. Which now I think is pretty important. I still listen to lots of music simply cause it sounds cool and is fun but at the risk of sounding ..ahem 'pretensious'.. I must admit that I like music which has some sort of substance, or isnt just about relationships and emotions.
....which is primarily what the billy writes about...ok maybe the machina stuff is an exception(maybe?) but probably not worth mentioning...

I dont listen to a particulary large scope of artists, Im not aware of zillions of 'underground' rock bands, and probably even more mainstream ones. ....(ok now im going to openly predict that you nasty wankers will flame me because im voicing my VERY uneducated opinion..but i dont care, I know what I like and what I dont like.)

So I guess this transition from rock to other stuff is because everything else seems more interesting and unusual, and it kind of takes you somewhere else, and I know rock music does the same thing and may even be more special with the whole organic thing of a group of humans conjuring up this amazing music, so in that aspect the whole human thing is really quite magical , but I think in other ways electronic music can be equally as wonderful.

One thing ive found is I really think it has expanded my mind, especially artisiticly.Im no musicologist and im not really down with all the different classifications of electronica, i think its a pretty vague term, but thereare lots of different types and its not all repeditive if thats what you dont like about it. but anyhow im not trying to convert you or anything,just trying to explain that i used to feel the same way about it as you and well, now I dont.

Old 12-05-2002, 05:14 AM   #23
Augie
Amish Rake Fighter

Default o and..

Im not really in on all the net lingo..so is a troll like an imposter or something???If so , Im not.

and ..i thought my zwan comment was cute.

And I do like them I think...Im not going to say that I definitely like them..not at least until i see them or hear the album.

O I cannnot wait until zwan come to Australia..... (!!!!!!)

Ive probably heard about 20 songs. and theyve grown on me but im still not sure whether I would like them if it wasnt billy.
what I was trying to get at before was I still have that irritating fondness for Billy even though he has a bad personality....and ok maybe I shouldnt keep saying he has a bad personality...

AND TO THE person called injectilo >>>>>>>

I dont really count treating fans well as being that important, I dont think he did any of the Machina stuff for the fans, Im pretty sure he would have done it for his own gratification. Not entirely, but mainly. Can you believe what the whole machina mystery would have done for his ego????????

But yeah, im not anti billy. I still like, watch him and the cute little things he does and the silly things he says and everything and go..'aaaaw Biiiiilly' I guess I like him. He is pretty cool, kinda. Not really....ahh maybe..i dunno..

But yeah, I know of quite a few instances where hes not exactly peachy towards his fans...I read one article where Billy outright said.(when person commented on like groupies or female attention or somethin)..'Yeah..but most of our fans are fat chicks with curls'
Can you believe how all the body conscious young girls would have been feeling???.........(ok dont bother insulting me about my appearance, im not personally affected by this comment, more by the revelation of what an arsehole Billy is)
And what shocked me even more was it was like 99 where he was transforming into his big fat ugly enlightened Glass character....(and dont bother rebutting with the fact that he wasnt OFFICIALLY Glass or whatever at that point of time because I really couldnt give a shit..the point is he was like 30 or something, he should be mature)

OK im sorry I dont mean to get petty, but I dont think Billy is really that nice a guy as some people think.I used to think the whole egomaniac thing was kinda cute, like the little rockstar eccentricities thing,somehow it doesnt really appeal to me anymore

Old 12-05-2002, 05:31 AM   #24
Robeuto
Pledge

Default Re: outgrowing the pumpkins...???

Quote:
I thought you guys would pick up on the fact that I wasnt intelligent enough...heheheh And then u would call me an O boarder....I was pretty lame. Im always looking back at myself and thinking how much of an embarrassment I am..as im sure I will with this post.
http://images.drphil.com/images/phil.jpg

Last edited by Robeuto : 12-05-2002 at 07:55 AM.

Old 12-05-2002, 05:47 AM   #25
Augie
Amish Rake Fighter

that wasnt clever

Old 12-05-2002, 05:56 AM   #26
Robeuto
Pledge

ah write an entire essay on dissing billy, then jump in and say ."oh but i like zwan". How can u like them when u hate the main person behind then?

Old 12-05-2002, 06:06 AM   #27
Augie
Amish Rake Fighter

I think I stated pretty clearly that i dont HATE Billy.

maybe you should stick to replying with pictures

Old 12-05-2002, 08:14 AM   #28
Robeuto
Pledge

Quote:
I think I stated pretty clearly that i dont HATE Billy.

maybe you should stick to replying with pictures

Quote:
Corgan is basically a trashy AMERICAN,

god he is SO american, with no taste, a horrible voice, a pretensious (errspelling mistake?????) cocky lame personality.

I think maybe thats the biggest problem, he is really the kind of person I dont like.

im kind of relieved that I can criticise him,

Old 12-05-2002, 08:19 AM   #29
severin
no more than sympathy

robeuto...hmm, fuck, i can't put my fingers on from where i no that....a movie or something....

Old 12-05-2002, 08:29 AM   #30
Robeuto
Pledge

Quote:
Originally posted by severin
robeuto...hmm, fuck, i can't put my fingers on from where i no that....a movie or something....
yes that's it, you got it in one dude!!!