Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2018, 08:09 PM   #1
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria
Default good news sources

where do you go?

My FB feed is full of Israel/Palestine today and I don't even know where to begin.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:16 PM   #2
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

For international news I like BBC, New York Times, Al Jazeera, Washington Post, and Haaretz but I try to read from a lot of different sources I guess

Old 05-16-2018, 08:18 PM   #3
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

at this point just one almost daily (because I realized too much news/too many outlets is making me more insane, and most def. more grumpy)

https://www.theguardian.com/world

and once a week when I have more time to look through articles I might wanna read:

https://www.theatlantic.com/world/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/

plus one German satire magazine that is nothing but below-the-belt garbage. I like cartoons, okay.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:56 PM   #4
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i give this thread half a page before it turns into another rolling political shitshow thread

Old 05-16-2018, 09:26 PM   #5
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Breitbart

Old 05-16-2018, 09:26 PM   #6
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

There, finished.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:42 PM   #7
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

also this thread sounds like it's asking for a source of good news

sorry vix, THERE ARE NONE.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:43 PM   #8
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

http://forums.netphoria.org/customav...tar35589_1.gif

Old 05-16-2018, 09:55 PM   #9
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

AlternativeNation.net

Old 05-16-2018, 10:00 PM   #10
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
also this thread sounds like it's asking for a source of good news

sorry vix, THERE ARE NONE.
This is my working hypothesis

My husband is always trying to work out how to write software that would gather news from disparate sources and then process them and spit out a report, sort of a news report about the news. And I always tell him, that it would be an exercise in futility because all news is so compromised and flawed that having a report on all the different sources would be no more helpful than just reading an individual account.

And I discourage him from thinking about it because engaging with any news sources makes him depressed and angry, and honestly, getting an average of 5-6 hours sleep every night, I just don't need that in my life

Old 05-16-2018, 10:05 PM   #11
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post
AlternativeNation.net
Fake news.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:05 PM   #12
vixnix
Socialphobic

It's frustrating to trust nobody, when I see that things are happening in the world. I don't have the time or energy to trawl through all those different accounts on my own.

I'll check out rbg and pave's recs though. Those are like my usual suspects, but I gave up reading news at all, a few years back.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:23 PM   #13
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

why not just stand behind whatever predetermined position on Israel you clearly already have and just cherry pick articles to support it?

Old 05-17-2018, 12:25 AM   #14
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
why not just stand behind whatever predetermined position on Israel you clearly already have and just cherry pick articles to support it?
I have had opinions before, but discussions here and just ageing in general has eroded most of that away. I guess I still think the creation of the state of Israel in that location was a bad idea in many ways. But that was quite a long time ago and it doesn’t seem like the Middle East situation has an undo button.

But say these fatalities in the last few days...I don’t know where to go, to find out more about what happened.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:44 AM   #15
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

http://www.bbc.com/news (already mentioned of course)

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com

Old 05-17-2018, 09:34 AM   #16
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTaper View Post
I found this very convenient and used it for about half a year. Then I was shutt off for a while, did not read, hear or watch any Trump news whatsoever while abroad, and discovered that it is indeed better for my mental state when I am not aware of every step every day.

how can you stomach all the details in the overall flood of shit? It just made me incredibly hopeless eventually.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:38 AM   #17
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Yeah Al Jazeera is shit

Old 05-17-2018, 10:06 AM   #18
FoolofaTook

http://www.foxnews.com/

Old 05-17-2018, 10:31 AM   #19
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
I found this very convenient and used it for about half a year. Then I was shutt off for a while, did not read, hear or watch any Trump news whatsoever while abroad, and discovered that it is indeed better for my mental state when I am not aware of every step every day.

how can you stomach all the details in the overall flood of shit? It just made me incredibly hopeless eventually.
I hear you and I'll admit while I read it daily for the first year it was up as of 2018 I check it maybe once or twice a month. I still link to it when someone asks this question just in case one or two more people become aware that it's available. I've linked to it a few times on Netphoria so it's probably overkill around these parts.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #20
pavementtune

It is a very convenient site, without it, it took looking at so many different sources on the exact day, or you are lost. 24 hours later every news cycle was filled with the new turds-of-the-day and that was that.

I can handle a one-time-intake of a lot of shit way better - say once or twice a month - than constantly paying attention day after day.
Basically I am better at binging shit-burgers than at digesting shit-appetizers before every meal.

(am I poetic or what)

Old 05-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #21
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

zerohedge.com

Old 05-17-2018, 10:56 PM   #22
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Al Jazeera
Good grief

Old 05-17-2018, 10:59 PM   #23
fuzzyroes
Banned

Infowars.com

Some of the news might be sensationalized, but it's your best shot at getting an honest truth.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:18 AM   #24
noyen
Immortal

i can predict the future. predicted the post above before he was born. wrote it down somewhere. the ancients predicted it. they knew he was coming. they built the whole reality that people like shaving skuzz fuzz live in. you are either a troll or a severely prototypical hooked to the veins of American despair but you live in fucking Canada I think I am going g to have a complete mental breakdown. I mean. this is happening.

Infowars.

having a stroke.

askskksm

Old 05-18-2018, 12:20 AM   #25
noyen
Immortal

I suggest national enquierer tee hee

Old 05-18-2018, 12:37 AM   #26
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
It is a very convenient site, without it, it took looking at so many different sources on the exact day, or you are lost. 24 hours later every news cycle was filled with the new turds-of-the-day and that was that.

I can handle a one-time-intake of a lot of shit way better - say once or twice a month - than constantly paying attention day after day.
Basically I am better at binging shit-burgers than at digesting shit-appetizers before every meal.

(am I poetic or what)
Same. And if you binge once a month, then it will have been through more rounds of correction and editing, maybe?

Speaking of intersections of shit and food, have you seen this?

https://wokesloth.com/tim-hortons-woman-video/alexa/

Old 05-18-2018, 01:44 AM   #27
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Good grief
Al Jazeera is one of the most respected news sources globally. Get fucked, you knuckle dragging Islamophobe fuckbaby. I fucking hate you

Old 05-18-2018, 09:32 AM   #28
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Same. And if you binge once a month, then it will have been through more rounds of correction and editing, maybe?

Speaking of intersections of shit and food, have you seen this?

https://wokesloth.com/tim-hortons-woman-video/alexa/

oh yes I have. I might have discovered a hidden dream fantasy - throwing shit, furiously!

as for your first post: it is a long read, and not exactly a mood booster, but worth it, all of it. sad but beautiful, something like that?
https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...uicide-in-gaza

Old 05-18-2018, 09:50 AM   #29
run2pee
Minion of Satan

I feel it too, this despair of the news

Lately I’m sticking to AP and Reuters for pure, raw facts, and avoiding any “analysis” pieces in the nature of “what happens next?” “Here’s why X means Y” “Z just happened here’s why you should care” etc.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #30
pavementtune

oh yea, Reuters was what came after my no-news-whatsoever phase. 2 lines, no bullshit, no filler, bam done over with.

But I started to miss culture and arts articles.

"what happens next" is just a fucking waste of time, isn't it. As if what already happened isn't enouh, yes please, I also want to think about what comes next and then find out the next day or week what did happen. I don't have the energy for that, I wonder who has, really.