Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2020, 10:29 AM   #31
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird
 
topleybird's Avatar
 
Location: An edgelord, a cancer to media
Posts: 4,054
Unhappy

Or are they cymbals if you hold them like that? Shit, I have a lot to learn

 
topleybird is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:07 AM   #32
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Location: nadir of the board
Posts: 31,613
Exclamation

I would be very careful if I were you.

Consider:

1. There are no gongs mentioned in the OT, the NT, or even the Apocrypha. The cornet, flute, (ram's) horn, organ, pipe, trumpet, and double oboe, yes. Gongs, no. As Christians, should we be using heathen instruments? Remember, Lucifer was the head of the angelic choir before he rebelled.

2. If you look closely at those gongs, you will see some have been inscribed with satanic runes. Need I say more?

I will leave you to make your own conclusions. In the meantime, I will keep you in my prayers.

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:21 PM   #33
srt4b
Ownz
 
srt4b's Avatar
 
Posts: 859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Man, for a hobby, I've been thinking about starting a collection of something but I just don't like anything enough

But look at how much pure joy this dude gets out of his gongs —could gongs be right for me?
In the beginning you really just want to play with one mallet.

 
srt4b is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:20 PM   #34
House of Bread
FKA Siamese33
 
House of Bread's Avatar
 
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 5,157
Default

Listened to the Gish episode and it was weirdly fascinating listening to these robots dissect and discuss the album. It helped me recover a shred of objectivity to the album...which then helped me appreciate it again. I dunno, at this point I take the band wholly for granted, and it's nice to be reminded of them before all of this fucking garbage.

 
House of Bread is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:57 PM   #35
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster
 
johncg's Avatar
 
Location: I teared Joe Rogan a new one
Posts: 1,297
Default

Kinda sounds like someone with an undergrad music degree who has never really done anything in music or life rambling on without realizing how dumb they sound.

 
johncg is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:24 PM   #36
Kahlo
Jane Austen ate my baby
 
Kahlo's Avatar
 
Location: In a slow, tortuous decline.
Posts: 17,441
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
Kinda sounds like someone with an undergrad music degree who has never really done anything in music or life rambling on without realizing how dumb they sound.

 
Kahlo is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:30 AM   #37
Corgan's Bluff
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Corgan's Bluff's Avatar
 
Location: Golf club war zone next door.
Posts: 4,715
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post
The Sacred And Profane smashing Pumpkins Discussion Board

 
Corgan's Bluff is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:58 AM   #38
Woody
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Woody's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post
You must spread some reputation around before giving it to kahlo again.

 
Woody is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:42 AM   #39
Woody
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Woody's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,628
Default

Machina 2 ep is up.

The Machina story recap at the beginning is hilarious.

 
Woody is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:15 AM   #40
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster
 
enthusaroo's Avatar
 
Location: ameriKKKa
Posts: 1,277
Default

Can someone please leak the Machina reissue? thanks

 
enthusaroo is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:58 PM   #41
trev
charm
 
trev's Avatar
 
Location: Naarm, Wurundjeri, Woiwurrung, Kulin Nations
Posts: 1,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
This is cool but also shows how glaringly wrong classical music theorists often get it wrong.
yep, only listening to this now starting with gish. they said the chorus of rhino is g major when it's d major.

the talk of the tritone in bury me isn't really relevant, since it's used as a chromatic semitone movement / variation and not in relation to the tonic. same with tristessa. and then they don't mention it when it's actually used as a tritone in the ending chords of window paine!

after listening to the sd analysis, I think this guy just is pretty sloppy with his music theory.

they claim cherub rock chorus is in g major, when it's in d major. they also claim it only uses power chords without any thirds and is ambiguous about being major or minor. but they are all actually major chords with thirds being played.

today isn't tuned down to e flat, the guitars are in standard but it's just played in e flat.

what they call the chorus in hummer isn't really a chorus. and they aren't aware that octave pedals exist, and think the exact same solo was recorded twice in different octaves lol

so much focus on individual notes, chords, and melodies without understanding the context and how different sections relate to each other. for example often missing what effect volume dynamics has within a song.

Last edited by trev : 02-20-2020 at 08:41 PM.

 
trev is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:53 AM   #42
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird
 
topleybird's Avatar
 
Location: An edgelord, a cancer to media
Posts: 4,054
Unhappy

I was just going to say that

 
topleybird is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:19 AM   #43
cork_soaker
full of longing
 
cork_soaker's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev View Post
what they call the chorus in hummer isn't really a chorus. and they aren't aware that octave pedals exist, and think the exact same solo was recorded twice in different octaves lol
not entirely sure which part you’re referring to, but in the case of SD, it likely was indeed the same bit recorded twice in different octaves

 
cork_soaker is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:54 PM   #44
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 1,886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev View Post
yep, only listening to this now starting with gish. they said the chorus of rhino is g major when it's d major.

the talk of the tritone in bury me isn't really relevant, since it's used as a chromatic semitone movement / variation and not in relation to the tonic. same with tristessa. and then they don't mention it when it's actually used as a tritone in the ending chords of window paine!

after listening to the sd analysis, I think this guy just is pretty sloppy with his music theory.

they claim cherub rock chorus is in g major, when it's in d major. they also claim it only uses power chords without any thirds and is ambiguous about being major or minor. but they are all actually major chords with thirds being played.

today isn't tuned down to e flat, the guitars are in standard but it's just played in e flat.

what they call the chorus in hummer isn't really a chorus. and they aren't aware that octave pedals exist, and think the exact same solo was recorded twice in different octaves lol

so much focus on individual notes, chords, and melodies without understanding the context and how different sections relate to each other. for example often missing what effect volume dynamics has within a song.
As dynamic as when Jimmy would come out and play guitar on 1979 or in the small clip during Mayonnaise in Vieuphoria where we see Billy playing drums and later he would play the timpani in 2008?

 
themadcaplaughs is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:03 AM   #45
trev
charm
 
trev's Avatar
 
Location: Naarm, Wurundjeri, Woiwurrung, Kulin Nations
Posts: 1,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_soaker View Post
not entirely sure which part you’re referring to, but in the case of SD, it likely was indeed the same bit recorded twice in different octaves
the main guitar solo in hummer. pretty sure it's a single take doubled into different octaves, and not multiple takes in different octaves played together.

 
trev is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great News!!! FoolofaTook Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion 29 08-05-2019 10:38 AM
Who is tapedatashow from archive.org? Ram27 Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion 4 06-17-2019 03:12 PM
9/11/01..........9/11/11 The Omega Concern General Chat Archive 70 09-30-2011 08:28 PM
my list of songs... ChrisChiasson Pumpkins Archive 1 07-27-2007 12:38 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:31 AM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2019