Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2007, 12:28 AM   #1
teamneedle
Ownz

Default Does billy have the balls to join radiohead?

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/31497950

Billy doesn't need the money and the real fans will still buy it.

This is def the future for people who really just want to make music.

what do you think?

Old 10-02-2007, 12:30 AM   #2
mayday
Apocalyptic Poster

No silly he has his own band

Old 10-02-2007, 12:38 AM   #3
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

the fuck cares?

Old 10-02-2007, 12:41 AM   #4
skipgo
Minion of Satan

well, i don't know. even though i don't think he'll do it again, he has done it before, and long before radiohead or prince did so.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:41 AM   #5
mayday
Apocalyptic Poster

oh you mean join their music industry thing? i didn't read that yet. i really have to go sleep now... nighty nite

Old 10-02-2007, 12:42 AM   #6
skipgo
Minion of Satan

he means give away music.

honestly, if I had the kind of money those guys have, I'd do it.
why not? they have enough to own their own studio with all of the top of the line equipment necessary, they have the money to pay a producer, engineer, someone to master (not howie again!! haha), and it's free to put your songs online. They could easily afford to do so, but I don't see it happening again.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:45 AM   #7
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

I stopped reading at : "Radiohead, one of the world's most influential rock bands"

Old 10-02-2007, 12:53 AM   #8
teamneedle
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgo
well, i don't know. even though i don't think he'll do it again, he has done it before, and long before radiohead or prince did so.
he kinda did it. Released a half finished album....

m2 sucks, although it could be good but whatever.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:56 AM   #9
sh sh shayne
Ownz

Will radiohead have the balls to travel a path corgan blazed 7 years ago?

Old 10-02-2007, 12:58 AM   #10
wilffiv
Amish Rake Fighter

yeah billy did this already.. remember machina II?

Old 10-02-2007, 01:08 AM   #11
ChaosEffect
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4b
I stopped reading at : "Radiohead, one of the world's most influential rock bands"
Quiet foolish little girl.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:08 AM   #12
Mablak
Minion of Satan

Location: Well, if it isn't my old friend, Mr. McGreg, with a leg for an arm and an arm for a leg!

I think the only way Billy can outdo this is if he allows fans to input how much money they want to get paid for downloading SP's next album.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:09 AM   #13
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh sh shayne

Hopefully they will break-up the band after a weird untimely mystery double CD.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:29 AM   #14
teamneedle
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilffiv
yeah billy did this already.. remember machina II?
yeah, it sucked, and still does.

not many people consider to be a a valid admission to the sp LP catalog.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:31 AM   #15
Rickpat12
Apocalyptic Poster

Isn't Radiohead still charging for the download? And wit hthe download you only get cd1, therefore you need to buy the boxset which *******s cd2, but cd2 doesn't come out til December 3, so you basically have to buy both the cd1 download on Oct. 10, and then the cd2 boxset on December 3, so either way, Radiohead is making a shit load of money. FAIL!

Old 10-02-2007, 01:37 AM   #16
sh sh shayne
Ownz

80 bucks is pretty fuck'n steep. I do love rh but jesus christ areo plane isn't even 80 bucks

Old 10-02-2007, 01:42 AM   #17
Virex Kills
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickpat12
Isn't Radiohead still charging for the download? And wit hthe download you only get cd1, therefore you need to buy the boxset which *******s cd2, but cd2 doesn't come out til December 3, so you basically have to buy both the cd1 download on Oct. 10, and then the cd2 boxset on December 3, so either way, Radiohead is making a shit load of money. FAIL!
no man...if you buy the boxset, the download is *******d, and you get it on the 10th.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:44 AM   #18
dasuitekilla
Banned

eh gewd idea n etc

Old 10-02-2007, 01:59 AM   #19
Rickpat12
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeha, but the download comes out the 10th, the boxset comes out Dec. 3. The boxset has EVERYTHING, the download only has cd1. You figure a lot of people will buy the download on the 10th, and then the boxset when its available so they can get the first disk RIGHT when it comes out, and then the second disk right when that comes out. So either way, it's good business for Radiohead.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:12 AM   #20
Virex Kills
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Yeha, but the download comes out the 10th, the boxset comes out Dec. 3. The boxset has EVERYTHING, the download only has cd1. You figure a lot of people will buy the download on the 10th, and then the boxset when its available so they can get the first disk RIGHT when it comes out, and then the second disk right when that comes out. So either way, it's good business for Radiohead.
When you order the Dec 3rd box set, you will get a link for the October 10th download. So you will get CD1 at the same time as everyone. Anyone who buys both cant read. Plus, as far as I know, there is a 45pence processing fee and thats it. So, you can enter 0$ and get the album for basically free, and the processing fee goes to a bank.
Where radiohead might make money is if the album eventually sees a physical release - all the people who paid money for the download will kinda get screwed.
Maybe Im just not understandind what you're saying and therefore maybe *I* should learn how to read.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:22 AM   #21
smashapumpkin
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamneedle
http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/31497950

Billy doesn't need the money and the real fans will still buy it.

This is def the future for people who really just want to make music.

what do you think?
not if the record company has anything to say about it

Old 10-02-2007, 02:28 AM   #22
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashapumpkin
not if the record company has anything to say about it
Apparently Billy won't have a record deal anymore after this year.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:21 AM   #23
Lyric
To Be Continued...

did all of you miss the part that says you can d/l the new radiohead cd for free on oct 10? so what are you moaning about the 3rd december and d/l's for? you actually get cd1 on hard copy if you buy the box set - but buying it has nothing to do with the 10th october release.

it's actually a kinda cool idea. I remember showing one of my "industrial" friends my spec. edition zeitgeist - the one with the 72 pages of fucking pictures. He said, with music piracy etc. on the rise that -all- music should be sold in a similar way to the spec. ed. Z, as it encourages people to actually buy it, because your getting something special - not just a cd. All Raidohead - kudos to them - have done is realize exactally what my friend has said, decided to let people pay what they want for the new cd - which could be nothing, and then release the spec. version which is something people will be more motivated to buy, specially if they are fans.

I think this is very cool. Radiohead are an extremely good band, but I do believe more so even then the pumpkins that they have a very selective fan base. I think this fan base will be happy to d/l the album for free and then buy the spec. ed. version. I think it will also encourage new listeners to d/l the cd and possibly become hooked and therefore buy their back catalogue.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:27 AM   #24
selection7
Demi-God

How is a little band going to get huge without the promotional backing (and connections) of a major label? It's possible they could make just as much, if not more, money by aggressively touring and putting 100% into internet exposure, but they'd never get radio or tv backing they'd need to get to the point where 95% of modern rock fans know who they are (like it is with the pumpkins).

Old 10-02-2007, 03:56 AM   #25
Boycott Graceland
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh sh shayne
the big difference is that capitol records would gladly put out an album of thom yorke farting through a distorted halfstack, whereas no labels at all even wanted to touch machina 2

Old 10-02-2007, 04:09 AM   #26
selection7
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycott Graceland
the big difference is that capitol records would gladly put out an album of thom yorke farting through a distorted halfstack, whereas no labels at all even wanted to touch machina 2
I know you're probably just being pithy, but it's very unlikely that no labels were interested in MII. TSP probably weren't allowed to go outside of Virgin (for a release).

Though that brings up the question, was Virgin holding SP hostage by not releasing MII (and not crediting them with another album on their contract) or would Virgin have been obligated to release MII but they just wouldn't have promoted it? (which would've meant even less people would've heard it than the way it went down in reality)

Can a record label just keep turning down a band's submissions for new album material forever...until they're all old and gray and bitter...even if it's the best music that's ever been recorded?

Old 10-02-2007, 04:15 AM   #27
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:

You get the download when you get the box. plus the download is free so your point is stupid.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:15 AM   #28
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

Wasn't Machina 2 basically an outtakes collection of sorts? I heard there were talks of a Machina double album, but was M2 really what would have been the second disc had the label given it go? Sounded very rough and demo-like and with all the alt. versions and all. I don't really think of it as a proper album. And lest we forget, the band doesn't either (Remeber the talks about Zeitgeist as their "sixth" album in their website pre-release?). So this is hardly the same.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:16 AM   #29
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virex Kills
When you order the Dec 3rd box set, you will get a link for the October 10th download. So you will get CD1 at the same time as everyone. Anyone who buys both cant read. Plus, as far as I know, there is a 45pence processing fee and thats it. So, you can enter 0$ and get the album for basically free, and the processing fee goes to a bank.
Where radiohead might make money is if the album eventually sees a physical release - all the people who paid money for the download will kinda get screwed.
Maybe Im just not understandind what you're saying and therefore maybe *I* should learn how to read.

Also a single disc version of the album come out on CD in march.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:23 AM   #30
Boycott Graceland
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by selection7
Can a record label just keep turning down a band's submissions for new album material forever...until they're all old and gray and bitter...even if it's the best music that's ever been recorded?
they sure can, and that's why it's nice that radiohead is foregoing the tangled record company web

remember yankee hotel foxtrot? i think that was turned down by their label several times.