Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #31
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Billy could easily get Jimmy to play in a way that gives the song more breathing room.. i mean listen to half of machina, for example.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:02 PM   #32
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
I like Jimmy's part individually, and it certainly has more "kick" in the live performances we've seen. That being said, I actually understand now why Billy went with Tommy Lee for Monuments to an Elegy (from which this song originated). At the time, I wrote it off entirely to Billy wanting the press that would come with the oddity of Tommy Lee playing on a Smashing Pumpkins album, but having heard Jimmy play on a Monuments-era song, I can see what Billy wanted with Tommy. His more simplistic playing carried the album, but gave the songs "breathing room." Also, Howard's production was much better than Rick Rubin's.
good post

I really enjoyed hearing Jimmy play Tommy Lee's parts live though. Nice combo of a solid drum part but with JC flourishes. Kinda like how he sounded on Today or Cherub Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
Billy could easily get Jimmy to play in a way that gives the song more breathing room.. i mean listen to half of machina, for example.
I always felt it was Jimmy's choice when he wanted to play simply...I remember lots of interviews talking about him being proud of restraining himself
Maybe Jimmy's going through a bit of the same thing Billy is, where he's used to not really getting any criticism

Old 07-07-2018, 01:15 AM   #33
paranoid
Minion of Satan

his drumming on one and all from that last tour was what was missing with that song, imo. he played fantastically on that.

I dunno. I don;t think he over plays or misses the mark on this song, at all. he makes the song, as has been the case for the past how ever many years.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:23 AM   #34
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Tommy Lee was great on Monuments. That album still stands up imo.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:54 AM   #35
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
but having heard Jimmy play on a Monuments-era song
Wait. There was a Monuments era?