Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2016, 06:33 PM   #1
fuzzyroes
Banned

Default Whats your favorite band (aside from SP if they're yours)

I gotta go with Weezer... Probably over SP. Just because the era of the Blue Album and Pinkerton consisted of so much excellent material. I don't think theres any other music that so perfectly speaks to me on a personal and artistic level. They were just the perfect band at their peak

Old 02-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Man it's hard to say favorite band but my desert island album is always Loveless by MBV because I've never stopped hearing new things in it and thus takes me to never ending emotional places. I know, boring choice

Old 02-05-2016, 07:19 PM   #3
fuzzyroes
Banned

Nah man, that's cool. I know so many people who LOVE that album, but for some reason it just doesn't resonate all that much with me. One of the big anomalies cause the people that love it all have pretty similar tastes of music as me.

I guess that could be another cool topic for a thread. Something like " what is a heralded classic that doesn't resonate with you"

Old 02-05-2016, 08:04 PM   #4
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Hmm. After SP, I don't have a definitive ranking system, but the artists that are definitely up there are Cursive, Radiohead, My Bloody Valentine, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, David Bowie, The Smiths, The Doors, Hole, and Electric Wizard.

Yeah, my list is pretty much the standard rockist canon. I'm boring.

Since I don't have the time to really delve into a given artist's discography, a lot of the time I'll really love an album or a few albums by an artist, but won't have checked out every album by the artist, so I don't feel comfortable calling them a "favourite artist." Like, I love the few Cohen albums I have, but I feel like I'd be lying if I said Cohen is one of my "favourite artists," seeing as I haven't listened to most of his material. Same thing with a band like Boris. I think it's easier for me to talk about "favourite albums" rather than favourite artists, as the small batch of bands that I've really become intimate with solidified back in high school, and I haven't had the time and freedom to delve into any other artists in that way since. Probably why my list of favourite artists is pretty high-school-kid-rockist tier.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:10 PM   #5
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Incidentally, I kind of dislike the term "rockist," because even though I also dislike people who are like "music today is so bad and for dumb people, man remember when we had good stuff like led zeppelin and queen instead of justin beiber and katy perry and rappers?" it's also a term used as a thought-terminating snarl world against anybody whom the user feels fails to appreciate the merits of Madonna.

It's like the musical-world version of the term "positivist."

Old 02-05-2016, 09:51 PM   #6
Aeris
Demi-God

i'm pretty sure it's bowie
i mean not a band but when people say favorite band they generally mean favorite artist
it's gotta be bowie though
i've apparently listened to 1000 david bowie songs in the last month

Old 02-05-2016, 10:07 PM   #7
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

bright eyes/conor oberst in general

Old 02-05-2016, 10:19 PM   #8
Disco King
Minion of Satan

People who like Cursive seem to also really like Bright Eyes (both are on Saddlecreek Records/the Nebraska scene), but I've never checked them out.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:24 PM   #9
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

no other band will ever come close to SP for me but other artists who have been my "favorite" are

Neil Young
The Beatles
Nirvana
Radiohead
The Smiths
The National
Mark Kozelek/RHP/SKM
The Everybodyfields
Ryan Adams
Wilco
R.E.M.
Jeff Buckley

Old 02-05-2016, 10:43 PM   #10
Aeris
Demi-God

i still can't believe that david bowie is dead

Old 02-05-2016, 10:44 PM   #11
redbreegull

me either

Old 02-05-2016, 10:46 PM   #12
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
People who like Cursive seem to also really like Bright Eyes (both are on Saddlecreek Records/the Nebraska scene), but I've never checked them out.
my first album from them was i'm wide awake, it's morning - but they're all pretty consistent. its a bit slicker and less depressing than the albums before it. only one i dont like much is digital ash in a digital urn. im actually listening to fevers and mirrors now, probably not a bad place to start with them.

conor can be a bit melodramatic but i mean, we are SP fans. no worse than billy's been

Old 02-05-2016, 11:35 PM   #13
redbreegull

ima check out bright eyes. is wide awake a good one to start with?

first time I heard about bright eyes I was 14 or 15 and didn't really know that there is an entire world of independent/underground/non-mainstream music out there. I would read annual favorites lists and stuff on netphoria and just be like.... wtf are these people listening to

Old 02-06-2016, 07:52 AM   #14
Elphenor
Braindead

A lot of what I thought of as my favorite bands I can hardly listen to anymore and I can't tell if I burned them out or just grew out of them

Like I want to say The Cure and The Smiths but I hardly ever listen to them anymore

And I never listen to SP

Old 02-06-2016, 07:55 AM   #15
Elphenor
Braindead

Currently I listen to basically Can and The Fall all day

If I had to give a definite answer I guess The Fall

Old 02-06-2016, 08:16 AM   #16
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Hmm. After SP, I don't have a definitive ranking system, but the artists that are definitely up there are Cursive, Radiohead, My Bloody Valentine, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, David Bowie, The Smiths, The Doors, Hole, and Electric Wizard.
I wondered when you'd get into The Smiths I remember trying to get you to listen to them on the Oboard

Old 02-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #17
FoolofaTook

http://ihrtn.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/boris.jpg

Old 02-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #18
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
I wondered when you'd get into The Smiths I remember trying to get you to listen to them on the Oboard
Man... the Smiths are another group where I can't really understand all of the hype. I mean I like em enough, and they have some good songs for sure, but they're always heralded as these legends and the music just doesn't compute for me.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:14 PM   #19
redbreegull

I always thought there was probably a certain window of time in which you could get into the Smiths, and if you missed it you would never understand them. They are truly a unique and seminal band though. Johnny Marr's influence cannot be overstated.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:16 PM   #20
Elphenor
Braindead

There's too much to explain about The Smiths in terms of explaining the importance of Morrissey and his affect on people right at the stage of trying to figure out who they are in relation to what society expects them to be, but from a strictly musical sense I can't see how anyone can deny them

Johnny Marr is maybe the greatest guitarist to ever grace popular music and he's backed by a really underrated rhythm section

Old 02-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #21
redbreegull

I have trouble seeing fuzzy being able to appreciate Morrisey's persona and the "spirit" of the Smiths. see above he doesn't "get" mbv... not enough guys in leather slapping their guitars with their low hanging dicks

Old 02-06-2016, 08:45 PM   #22
redbreegull

I mean if I were to draw a venn diagram, I think people who like The Smiths might actually be mutually exclusive to people who believe Axl Rose's behavior is the result of an uncontrollable mental disability, believe Donald Trump is "awesome" and "a boss," and see Mark Wahlberg as a "great actor."

Old 02-06-2016, 08:48 PM   #23
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I must be five years behind you. In another five, I'll be repping The Fall.

Quote:
There's too much to explain about The Smiths in terms of explaining the importance of Morrissey and his affect on people right at the stage of trying to figure out who they are in relation to what society expects them to be, but from a strictly musical sense I can't see how anyone can deny them

Johnny Marr is maybe the greatest guitarist to ever grace popular music and he's backed by a really underrated rhythm section
I don't know if I feel anything super profound when I listen to them, I just like the tongue-in-cheek self-deprecation in the lyrics and the rainy English melodies. Also, I like how Moz does that thing where he fits more syllables into a line of music than you'd think one would be able to by speeding up the vocal line, but letting it still sound natural. Dude could probably fit a screenplay into a bar without sounding like the Micro Machines Man. Maybe it's time dilation, I dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
my first album from them was i'm wide awake, it's morning - but they're all pretty consistent. its a bit slicker and less depressing than the albums before it. only one i dont like much is digital ash in a digital urn. im actually listening to fevers and mirrors now, probably not a bad place to start with them.

conor can be a bit melodramatic but i mean, we are SP fans. no worse than billy's been
Hmm. I'll look into those albums. Thanks!

Old 02-06-2016, 11:08 PM   #24
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I have trouble seeing fuzzy being able to appreciate Morrisey's persona and the "spirit" of the Smiths. see above he doesn't "get" mbv... not enough guys in leather slapping their guitars with their low hanging dicks
I mean they are for sure too smart for him

Anything that uses irony is likely to go right over his head

Old 02-06-2016, 11:36 PM   #25
Disco King
Minion of Satan

pop punk for adults

Old 02-07-2016, 11:15 AM   #26
FoolofaTook

I never did get into the Smiths. I tried. I liked the guitars and the mellowness... but they never really clicked. MBV on the other hand... I remember hearing "We Have All the Time in the World" and just being BLOWN away yo.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #27
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
I always thought there was probably a certain window of time in which you could get into the Smiths, and if you missed it you would never understand them. They are truly a unique and seminal band though. Johnny Marr's influence cannot be overstated.
Oh for sure man, Johnny Marrs playing is my favorite part of the sound.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:33 PM   #28
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
I like Morrisey enough. Guys a good poet and he's got his own kinda unique sing-speak style thing going on. But musically and dynamically It's not exactly something that's really all that exciting.

Maybe it's just another case of them being an innovative band that so many other groups built upon in a better more exciting way.

But really, who really cares about a singers persona? I couldn't care less about that kinda shit. I mean hell, I'm a fan of Billy Corgan and Axl Rose for crying out loud- probably 2 of the most unlikable guys in rock

Old 02-07-2016, 05:42 PM   #29
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
I mean they are for sure too smart for him

Anything that uses irony is likely to go right over his head
To be completely honest: lyricism in music isn't usually all that important to me. I mean a song can be great and hit it's spot without being all that great lyrically but great lyricism can't make crappy music good.

I mean even a song like Van Halens "Jump" with pretty much gibberish for lyrics is still great... And when you're enjoying the song you don't even really realize that the lyrics are crap

Old 02-07-2016, 05:44 PM   #30
Elphenor
Braindead

It is true that gibberish lyrics on a good song are fine

But outright dumb lyrics will make an otherwise good song unlistenable for me