Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #31
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
Here, at least. Imagine Dragons is really really bad but pretty fucking ubiquitous. I don't listen to radio or anything and couldn't escape that fucking song for a while.

And Lorde was a pretty big deal over the past year? Right?
Once again Netpho doesn't disappoint with a lack of perceiving facetiousness.

I have honestly heard of both those artist, but never heard them. Based on what I've read about them or what people have said, it's nothing that would interest me anyways.

I'm really sorry I don't give a fuck about flavors of the month. I like the color of this rock's underside fine.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #32
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I couldn't give less of a fuck about those artists but I'm not sure how you could avoid being exposed to them if you like go out in public places and spend time with other humans.

actually lorde is pretty ok for a top 40 artist, it's a bit surprising to me that her and lana del ray (sp?) and other "downbeat pop" type acts have gotten a foothold in a world of rihannas

Old 07-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #33
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I couldn't give less of a fuck about those artists but I'm not sure how you could avoid being exposed to them if you like go out in public places and spend time with other humans.
Oh is this something you'd hear at Walmart or Hot Topic or something?

Haven't been to either places in a while.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #34
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

I mean let me spell it out for you. Today my schedule is

- Work - I'm self employed and work at home, so I listened to Vanilla Fudge and Tom Waits in the morning.
- Then I had dentist appointment, but on the way there I listened to The Beach Boys on my antiquated CD player because I forgot my mp3 player.
- At the dentist office, they were playing classic rock as they drilled my teeth. I remember hearing "On The Darkside" and "Jack and Dianne" before it was tuned out by the sound of a fucking drill to my tooth.
- I stopped at a coffee shop on the way home. They did not play any music in the background.
_ But what I really wanted is a smoothie, not a coffee, so I quickly went next door to a Cafe to see if they had a smoothie. They did not because it wasn't like a Coffee House Cafe, but like a Diner Cafe. They played no music there either.
- I went home, worked and listened to more Tom Waits.

After dinner I'll have to
- take my son to karate. No music played there, just "Hi-yaaaah!"
- while he's at karate, I'll probably take my daughter down the street to Panera Bread for a smoothie. I don't believe they play music there. if so I've never noticed it.
- might have to go to Cub Foods for this week's groceries. They also do not play music there, and if they do I've never noticed it.

Tomorrow I might have to
- work some more, in which I will continue to listen to whatever I feel like at the moment
- take my daughter to soccer practice, in which they'll probably request to listen to They might Be Giants or the new Polyphonic Spree album on the way there, and so I'll listen to that.
- at soccer practice, there will be no music playing. Just the sounds of other kids playing at a park, my son complaining that the park isn't fun and that he'd rather play on my phone.

So far, unless I'm mistaken, doesn't seem to be much opportunity to hear Lorde or Imagine Dragons. I could continue with my week if you want and continue to chronicle the muzak I tune out?

Old 07-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #35
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

I was thinking that song counting stars was imagine dragons but now that I spotified it I see it is one republic.

The top 2 ID songs sound vaguely familiar but I can't tell if that is because of how generic they are or if I've actually heard them.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #36
Shallowed
Braindead

Imagine Dragons is a pop-rock band whose songs are all I-V-VI-IV chord progressions, with flavours of brostep bass drops and U2 atmospherics.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #37
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

remember lordi?

Old 07-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #38
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

Lordi, anyone?

Old 07-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #39
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

now waiting for lorda, lordo and lordu

Old 07-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #40
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
Imagine Dragons is a pop-rock band whose songs are all I-V-VI-IV chord progressions, with flavours of brostep bass drops and U2 atmospherics.
It's easier to just say Coldplay.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #41
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
I mean let me spell it out for you. Today my schedule is

- Work - I'm self employed and work at home, so I listened to Vanilla Fudge and Tom Waits in the morning.
- Then I had dentist appointment, but on the way there I listened to The Beach Boys on my antiquated CD player because I forgot my mp3 player.
- At the dentist office, they were playing classic rock as they drilled my teeth. I remember hearing "On The Darkside" and "Jack and Dianne" before it was tuned out by the sound of a fucking drill to my tooth.
- I stopped at a coffee shop on the way home. They did not play any music in the background.
_ But what I really wanted is a smoothie, not a coffee, so I quickly went next door to a Cafe to see if they had a smoothie. They did not because it wasn't like a Coffee House Cafe, but like a Diner Cafe. They played no music there either.
- I went home, worked and listened to more Tom Waits.

After dinner I'll have to
- take my son to karate. No music played there, just "Hi-yaaaah!"
- while he's at karate, I'll probably take my daughter down the street to Panera Bread for a smoothie. I don't believe they play music there. if so I've never noticed it.
- might have to go to Cub Foods for this week's groceries. They also do not play music there, and if they do I've never noticed it.

Tomorrow I might have to
- work some more, in which I will continue to listen to whatever I feel like at the moment
- take my daughter to soccer practice, in which they'll probably request to listen to They might Be Giants or the new Polyphonic Spree album on the way there, and so I'll listen to that.
- at soccer practice, there will be no music playing. Just the sounds of other kids playing at a park, my son complaining that the park isn't fun and that he'd rather play on my phone.

So far, unless I'm mistaken, doesn't seem to be much opportunity to hear Lorde or Imagine Dragons. I could continue with my week if you want and continue to chronicle the muzak I tune out?
So you weren't being facetious then or

Old 07-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #42
noyen
Immortal

imagine dragons are a crap band from Utah county, home of the used, that changed their hometown to las vegas and are probably Mormon like the killers. I don't know anyone has ever heard them to be honest. Lorde is great though for being a newish teen Disney pop icon. She's angsty and apparently ugly by industry standards but honestly weird al covering marginally popular if not polarizingly bad songs is disappointing. his greatness has come from covering songs that reached a saturation to the point the originals were hated. I don't think lorde or imagine dragons will ring many bells as to being familiar. It will be familiar to a whole different demographic of fan. hence the Amanda Palmer inclusion I guess. I hate her and her fans and anything to do with her by association.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:49 PM   #43
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
So you weren't being facetious then or
Well I did say Lord instead of Lorde, an Imagine Dragons, then I mentioned I knew of both artists although I hadn't heard them.

So I guess it's whatever you want it to be man, I don't care.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #44
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
imagine dragons are a crap band from Utah county, home of the used, that changed their hometown to las vegas and are probably Mormon like the killers. I don't know anyone has ever heard them to be honest. Lorde is great though for being a newish teen Disney pop icon. She's angsty and apparently ugly by industry standards but honestly weird al covering marginally popular if not polarizingly bad songs is disappointing. his greatness has come from covering songs that reached a saturation to the point the originals were hated. I don't think lorde or imagine dragons will ring many bells as to being familiar. It will be familiar to a whole different demographic of fan. hence the Amanda Palmer inclusion I guess. I hate her and her fans and anything to do with her by association.
Imagine Dragons have been used in a shocking number of TV spots over the past year. Even people who think they have not heard them have heard them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=imag...rcials&tbm=vid

Old 07-22-2014, 08:00 PM   #45
MusicMan4

Quote:
songs that reached a saturation to the point the originals were hated. I don't think lorde or imagine dragons will ring many bells as to being familiar. It will be familiar to a whole different demographic of fan.
it is not possible for a song to reach a higher level of saturation than royals
maybe a lot of us (not me of course) are just too old to really be tuned in to the cultural zeitgeist

Old 07-22-2014, 08:02 PM   #46
MusicMan4

i am not at all conscious of any imagine dragons songs though

i mean most of this stuff i can't believe anyone would not have heard
i never leave the house or listen to music radio but i still have somehow heard happy, fancy, royals, and blurred lines enough that they will still be in my head in 50 years if I never hear them again

not that i'll be alive in 50 years

Old 07-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #47
MusicMan4

although i guess most of my listens to fancy and royals were deliberately sought out
i mean i check to see what songs are number one a lot on the charts
i like to see what's doing

Old 07-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #48
MusicMan4

i want to be "with it" like all the kids are

Old 07-22-2014, 08:06 PM   #49
Rider
Minion of Satan

Oh and Radioactive holds the record for longest time on the Hot 100 singles chart ever.

It's basically the archetype of a song Weird Al should do.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #50
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Commercial performance[edit]
Radioactive debuted at 96 on the Billboard Hot 100 after the release of Night Visions in September 2012 and remained at the lower ends of the chart for some time. In April 2013, the song made its top ten debut at number 7,[23] besting the number 15 position set by previous single "It's Time". In mid June, the song reached number four, breaking the record for the slowest ascension to the top five, besting the previous holder Florida Georgia Line's song "Cruise", which broke the record just three weeks earlier.[24] Two weeks later, the song reached its peak at number three.[25] The song has been certified 6x platinum by the RIAA. The song currently holds the record for the longest reign atop the Billboard Hot Rock Songs chart, with 23 weeks.[26] It also holds the record for the longest reign atop the Billboard Rock Airplay chart, with 24 weeks.[9][27]

The song is also the best-selling rock song in US digital history. It was the No. 2 Song of the Summer according to Billboard and spent 87 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100, breaking the all-time chart longevity record, previously held by Jason Mraz's 2008 single "I'm Yours".[28] It has sold more copies in a calendar year than any other song by a rock act in digital history.[29] It was the third best selling song of 2013 with sales of 5,496,000 for the year.[5] The single reached over 7 million digital copies in sales in the United States by May 2014, and became the ninth-best-selling download in the history of SoundScan and the best-selling rock song of all time in the United States.[30]

The song has reached number one in Sweden and in the top twenty of several countries such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand as well as several parts of Europe. In the UK, the song debuted at 35 thanks to strong downloads from the Hear Me EP in November. After the release of Night Visions in April, the song peaked at number 12, becoming their highest charting single there.
The song is huge, we are just getting old.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:15 PM   #51
Eulogy
huh

That says something very sad about the state of popular rock music. Fuuuuck. That song is so bad.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #52
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

i've heard royals because lorde is a new zealander so, like anything kiwi that gets the american popularity seal of approval, her music gets played everywhere

i only heard happy because my mum told me it was the most catchy song she'd ever heard and played it for me the last time i visited her

i haven't heard fancy, blurred lines, or anything by imagine dragons. it's really easy to just miss things entirely

Old 07-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #53
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

i think what happens is you get to the point where your preferences are sufficiently well-established and there's too much new music to listen to just by following artists you already like. once that point is reached, following the charts becomes a negative sum game. why buy a lottery ticket when you've already got piles of cash showing up every day?

Old 07-22-2014, 08:19 PM   #54
Rider
Minion of Satan

The next paragraph in the article is even sadder. The song has been used for everything, video games, tv shows, movies, sports, press conferences,.... really there has been no avoiding this song.

Quote:
"Radioactive" was used heavily in promotion for the video game Assassin's Creed III[37] and the 2013 film The Host,[38] and is included on the soundtracks for the video games MLB 13: The Show and NBA 2K14.

In addition to being featured in commercials for 2013 premiere shows on the History channel, the song has been used in various promos: Chicago Fire, Run For Your Lives,[39] the European Outdoor Film Tour,[40] Defiance (as well as its tie-in video game), and Graceland. The song was also featured in the commercial for Powerbeats by Dr. Dre and starring Lebron James. In the series Arrow, "Radioactive" was also used during episode 22 of season 1.

It was used as the theme song for the Combat Zone Wrestling event Gge of Death XIV, TNA Wrestling PPV Slammiversary XI and for the 2013 television series Inside Combat Rescue on the National Geographic Channel. The song was also used by Sony for starting their E3 2013 press conference. The song was played during the end credits of the True Blood season 6 finale of the same name, as well as the HBO Go commercial that immediately preceded the episode. The song was used in a hype video for a Korean League of Legends tournament hosted by Ongamenet, to introduce the two final teams for their 2013-2014 winter season.

The song has served as St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Matt Holliday's walk up song during the 2013 season.[41] It is also commonly played during warm ups at New England Revolution games. ESPN used the song to promote the October 14, 2013 Monday Night Football game between the Indianapolis Colts and San Diego Chargers. Additionally this song was used for NBA2K14.

The song was also used as the theme for the arrival of the damned on Earth in the TV series The 100.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:20 PM   #55
Eulogy
huh

It's still inescapable if you watch tv here though. Imagine Dragons all over sports broadcasts. Ahhhh

Old 07-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #56
Eulogy
huh

I like Royals just fine. Infectious, somehow.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #57
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Imagine Dragons have been used in a shocking number of TV spots over the past year. Even people who think they have not heard them have heard them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=imag...rcials&tbm=vid
still haven't heard em. just their name.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #58
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
still haven't heard em. just their name.
Sorry love you man but don't buy it for a second. It might not have registered but yes you have heard the song.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #59
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris Hilton View Post
it is not possible for a song to reach a higher level of saturation than royals
maybe a lot of us (not me of course) are just too old to really be tuned in to the cultural zeitgeist
i've only heard royals twice, and i seeked out listening to it. i guess i watch less tv with commercials and no radio at all. i've seen her name all over, yeah. but it's the same to me as a lot of other "massive worldwide hit singles" i've never heard by artists names i'm very familiar with. i do know that i am old and am not exposed to or have the means to enjoy all the bombardment and advertising. i am totally tuned out of the cultural zeitgeist now. the fact that there are so many "popular" people with millions, hundreds of thousands, thousands of followers or supports just proves (to me) that it's all facade shit and people telling me x and x is popular i should hear it makes me tune out their opinions even more. if everyone is so susceptible to it why has everyone heard lorde and imagine dragons but no one has ever heard the original version of the la's "there she goes"?

Old 07-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #60
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Sorry love you man but don't buy it for a second. It might not have registered but yes you have heard the song.
i have not heard it. i live in a state where they play it on the news. i don't watch the news. why the hell would i lie about not having heard it. i haven't heard it. i've heard it now because of this thread, but i have not heard it prior ever. i also own an xbox. unless it was in the GTA 5 soundtrack i havent heard it.