Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2018, 02:41 AM   #31
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
I feel like one of the primary narratives of alternative music in the last 30-40 years has been the amalgamation of electronic/experimental and more traditional elements into something else as an expression of the cultural phase shift as we're ripped from the natural world into the upstream of technology and the internet. Many people point towards Kid A as perhaps the defining statement of such a thing, a band who started as a traditional guitar band embracing fully the potentiality of computers as a tool for art, but I feel like this trumps it. Compared to Radiohead, Low's roots stretch further back into the vaunted traditions of guitar music, invoking the ghosts blues and country music, and their branches now stretch deeper and harder into the bleeding edges of postmodern music, of texture and noise and dissonance as signifiers of physicality and emotionality. It's like it circumvents a centuries worth of popular music as the unfolding and directly marries the primal elements, the alpha and omega points suspended in a superposition that is both at once, into something that has sincerely never been achieved before.
my buddy and I were discussing this the other night. Despite a few notable efforts like Kid A, most rock music has abjectly failed to adapt or evolve into a new thing in the 21st century. The attitude has become "it's all been done," but the failure is really only a failure of imagination and people getting too caught up in what is or isn't "rock" music or guitar music or whatever.

but yeah this album is amazing

Old 09-21-2018, 07:19 AM   #32
Elphenor
Braindead

well not to knock Kid A which I love but the symbiosis of electronics and guitars had been heavily explored already

Old 09-21-2018, 01:07 PM   #33
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

The new one.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:41 PM   #34
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
well not to knock Kid A which I love but the symbiosis of electronics and guitars had been heavily explored already
maybe, but

1) I personally feel that most rock artists have done an excessively poor job at this, and I can think of hardly any examples where a band has melded guitar and electronic elements in a way that felt balanced and harmonious and not like cut and paste. If anything, I would point to newer electronic artists who USE live instruments in their music as more successful examples of this

2) electronic music has changed and developed a lot, at a very fast speed, over the last few decades because of technology. I'm not sure exactly what artists you are referring to, but the way electronic music is made today is very different than how it was made in the 80s, so I feel it is kind of inaccurate to say that Radiohead were just treading over something "heavily explored."

which is why I think this Low album really stands out. Just like the Bon Iver album this producer did a few years back, he has gotten the band to really, really meld traditional guitar music with electronic elements in way that feels very contemporary, very relevant, and extremely organic. Nothing feels forced, it feels as if the band just discovered this other side to themselves that has been there all along.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #35
Elphenor
Braindead

most of what I hear is heavy krautrock influence when it comes to Kid A

there's modular synths and theremin on it

and then combining krautrock influence with manipulation by computer software ie protools was done by
Brian Eno, as an example of someone very popular

Old 09-21-2018, 02:12 PM   #36
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

I mean, if we're purely talking harmonious combinations of guitar-rock and electronics, I'd say Depeche Mode (mostly Music for the Massed onward,) New Order, Primal Scream (Screamadelica onward,) & ya, krautrock bands like Can & whatnot did a pretty great job of that. O & NiN

Old 09-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #37
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

That said Radiohead definitely did something different with their spin on it by bringing more of an IDM thing to it as opposed to the "gothtronica" type thing that say, Billy brought with Adore. That's its main accomplishment, I'd say, bringing in a type of electronica that had never really been heard (at least to this level) from a rock band before

Old 09-21-2018, 02:23 PM   #38
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
That said Radiohead definitely did something different with their spin on it by bringing more of an IDM thing to it as opposed to the "gothtronica" type thing that say, Billy brought with Adore. That's its main accomplishment, I'd say, bringing in a type of electronica that had never really been heard (at least to this level) from a rock band before
yeah like the Aphex Twin influence

not saying Kid A doesn't stand out

there's just a thousand legitimate variations on any one idea

and "Rock" has been a conceptually limiting descriptor in the medium since the late 60's