Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2007, 01:52 PM   #91
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpycat
This thread nearly has me teary-eyed.

I must say that I took the Listessa thing very seriously, creating actual paper lists of the subjects to which I wanted to reply, and then posting those lists above my computer so that I could remember them all.

I must have used the SP Chat most of all...though back in those days I usually appeared as SpAcEd.
hey i remember you! i used to post all the time as either stickman22 or shannon hutson, which was my name before i was married. I re-read a lot of stuff from 10 years ago on amsp, and it was pretty embarrassing. That dumb 'billy's address' thread, man...(and of course at the time i was all over that shit)

Old 05-31-2007, 02:26 PM   #92
mccririck
Apocalyptic Poster

I remember the name stickman22. Unfortunately I think I used loads of different names and cant remember a single one.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:06 PM   #93
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

i used to post as spaceboy on irc and listessa...and spaceb0y on amsp, hub, and any other places where spaceboy was already taken.

after the arising i started posting under my name just to avoid confusion.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:10 PM   #94
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin
i used to post as spaceboy on irc and listessa...and spaceb0y on amsp, hub, and any other places where spaceboy was already taken.

i was wondering if i knew you back then, so i searched the amsp archives and came across your story about meeting billy in the airport...i totally remember that story! (and apparently i left some dorky comment trying to be funny, which wasn't all that funny actually, looking back ten years later)

it's cool to see how many people from back in those days are still around.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:56 PM   #95
wally
cibohplaicos

I can't stand reading my posts from amsp. I get into perma-shudder mode.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:02 PM   #96
skipgo
Minion of Satan

yeah, i'm pretty sure i won't read anymore of mine. They were pretty stupid. And I don't have the excuse of being young, I was 23!

Old 05-31-2007, 09:08 PM   #97
redbull
Immortal

holy shit, moonkids

Old 05-31-2007, 09:26 PM   #98
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgo
i was wondering if i knew you back then, so i searched the amsp archives and came across your story about meeting billy in the airport...i totally remember that story! (and apparently i left some dorky comment trying to be funny, which wasn't all that funny actually, looking back ten years later)

it's cool to see how many people from back in those days are still around.
yes! yes! that was me! i have posted the story about meeting billy at ohare on here before too.

regarding moonkids -- yea that whole thing was a big controversey. much more intrusive than the cabal or junta shit because it actually caused onica to stop posting completely. which sucked because she was a decent source of information.

oh well.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:49 PM   #99
wally
cibohplaicos

Quote:
yeah, i'm pretty sure i won't read anymore of mine. They were pretty stupid. And I don't have the excuse of being young, I was 23!
so was I

Old 05-31-2007, 09:51 PM   #100
mccririck
Apocalyptic Poster

moonkids was a pretty cunning guy. Slight psychological problem perhaps, but he had a brain on him.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:10 PM   #101
skipgo
Minion of Satan

oh man, onica! i wonder what she's doing now? That's a name i haven't heard in many years. Wonder if she's still as close to c. love as she was back then?

Old 05-31-2007, 10:13 PM   #102
mccririck
Apocalyptic Poster

Who was onica?

Old 05-31-2007, 10:20 PM   #103
skipgo
Minion of Satan

she was a friend of Courtney Love who was a big fan of SP, and she was always really obnoxiously rude to most people. Then again, people were jerks to her alot too, people usually thought she was lying about knowing Courtney and Billy. She was one of the more interesting characters around at the time.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:22 PM   #104
redbull
Immortal

was Onica the source of Sequence IV?

Old 05-31-2007, 10:27 PM   #105
mccririck
Apocalyptic Poster

If she was a friend of Courtney it doesnt surprise me she was obnoxious and rude. Thing is she only knew the stuff she did because she was mates with billy's fuck buddy.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:28 PM   #106
skipgo
Minion of Satan

i think she was the first person i ever had a flame war with

Old 05-31-2007, 10:39 PM   #107
the arms of sleep
Pledge

my oldest pumpkins internet memory is finding people on the tape traders network and getting piles of mcis-era (and weezer pinkerton era) cassettes in the mail. the early days of internet cassette trading were very confusing and really didnt sound very good but it definitely felt more special than just downloading some show the day after it happened.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:58 PM   #108
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

my oldest online memory is discussing PI in depth and why certain songs were left off SD. that irc guy named pissant liked pissant better than geekusa...and we used to go back and forth about it constantly! i also remember arguing endlessly with people about the disarm rockin' version from vieuphoria and mtv awards being >>>>> the album version (I STILL THINK ITS A BETTER WITH A TAD OF ANGER THROWN IN).

I also remember this lame ritual of people in the chat rooms typing line after line of song lyrics, alternating with other members. lol...then sometimes we would invade other band forums...and just start posting pumpkins lyrics. LOL. i remember we pissed off a bunch of pussies in a weezer forum once because we were doing silverfuck. hahaha...so lame.

then later when the mcis song titles came out, they blew my mind. they sounded so strange and un-pumpkinsish. just like zeitgeist did.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:17 PM   #109
skipgo
Minion of Satan

i think when the mcis song titles started coming out is when i first became a part of the online pumpkins community. I remember that's how i found out the band was going to be on SNL, the release date of mcis, and other such stuff. before that I don't know how the hell i found out anything about them, lol!
I was living off campus at the time and used to walk there everyday to the computer lab (no computer of my own back then) to see what was going on with listessa. I'd spend hours there reading and writing crap about sp. My friends thought I'd lost my mind. It was that same computer lab where I found out the news about Jimmy and Jonathan ODing. what a bummer of a day that was...

Old 06-01-2007, 12:26 AM   #110
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
my oldest online memory is discussing PI in depth and
i remember we pissed off a bunch of pussies in a weezer forum once because we were doing silverfuck. hahaha...so lame.
i remember the sp vs weezer arguments all the time
still don't completely know why there is such a strong rivalry between fans
maybe it was the affinity of intensity (sp) vs the laziness that weezer represented

even now it'd be nice to get all gushy with one another like we used to
chatting all night about everything and anything, all of it with the most importance

MCIS song titles did seem out of place when they were first released...
they seemed too playful, exaggerated and even iconic
it wasn't the obtuse and obscure
but when the album hit I photocopied the lyrics booklet onto 8.5X11 sheets and carried it around me everywhere.....

just the other day I came across track titles of the "leaked" double adore album that had the marilyn manson duet..... lol
Autumn Nocturne had turned out to not be the gloomy song I had imagined it to be.
anyone remember the leaked "anaphase" artwork....
soo many years
so much time spent
don't regret a moment of it.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:39 AM   #111
soluko
Pledge

Quote:
what a blast from the past... i used to post on amsp every second of my life back when MCIS was new...actually no, that was listessa....then i was on amsp after that.... i still keep up with a few of those people. i wonder how many people from amsp circa 97-98 are on netphoria?? whatever happened to frappster? john mulhausen? josh provost......anyone remember that kid sam who was on amsp and had a pumpkins site, and he killed some kid?
i was on amsp at that time. i hosted kimaira's web site on soluko.org for a little while. n.p2 was also one of those pumpkins-fans related things. it was a good time.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:54 AM   #112
soluko
Pledge

Quote:

i was fluke on irc and amsp as well as soluko later on.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:47 AM   #113
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidrr
I do remember you. I used to keep my old 684(?) computer on 24-7 back from 1994 or so to 1997. I was always in #smashing_pumpkins or whatever it was under the name spidrr or HoNeYSpIdEr (love that lowercase/uppercase). Listessa was another bad obsession. I would print out everything.

Remember the FAQ!?! Haha, I used to get all excited when there was a new FAQ update. Good times.
Quote:
hey i remember you! i used to post all the time as either stickman22 or shannon hutson, which was my name before i was married. I re-read a lot of stuff from 10 years ago on amsp, and it was pretty embarrassing. That dumb 'billy's address' thread, man...(and of course at the time i was all over that shit)
Awesome...I feel special. And somewhere in my desk I know I have list of all the regulars to the chatroom, scribbled neatly onto a note pad. (Why did I do that, and why did I keep it?) Your handles are all probably on there, along with "ladymorte". etc. I always accessed the chat from smashing-pumpkins.net, and was always so pissed on the nights when the applet would not load. But then we'd always get off on weird subjects, like Billy's sweaters or something.

I do recall the huge blowout when pictures of Billy's house made the rounds, and at several points when certain people had located his AOL e-mail address or whatever. Back in the days of the WWWild West you could use that awesome "address locator" feature to "connect the dots" so to speak.

I've never thought to go look back at the Archives to read my past postings onto SP newsgroups, though. And I think that perhaps I don't want to...

I also bought a lot of those cassette bootlegs/rarity compilations from the tradelist, for $5 a piece or some such from a guy who called himself "Osaka." The quality of could be quite bad but I would blast them from my stereo anyway.

Quote:
i remember the sp vs weezer arguments all the time
still don't completely know why there is such a strong rivalry between fans
maybe it was the affinity of intensity (sp) vs the laziness that weezer represented
I recall that back in 1996, Bush was *the* nemesis band of any SP fan, and in school even good friends would heckle each other if they were on opposite ends of this "rivalry."

BTW, did anyone here actually have the *per hour* online access that sent the bills of many a student's parents into debtor's hell? I recall how all those ISP horror stories would appear on shows like Oprah.

Last edited by stumpycat : 06-01-2007 at 02:56 AM.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:03 AM   #114
telex
Pledge

Quote:
It was that same computer lab where I found out the news about Jimmy and Jonathan ODing. what a bummer of a day that was...
i was 13 years old and doing some minor task in my dad's lumberyard over the summer when he told me that "somebody in smashing pumpkins died" and had no further information. i thought i was going to barf everywhere.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:16 AM   #115
spidersoma
Ownz

SP AOL Chat back in the 90s owned souls. What a fun yet fucked up community.
I posted as SP1007 and remember talking to NiltiakSP, RAWK1979 [I met up with her at a concert 2 years ago], ZeroGirl33 [still talk to her on occasion], and a few others. XSpaceboy1 was Sam Manzie. It was weird hearing about him in school and thinking "dude, I know that guy."

For those of you who don't know, Sam Manzie [XSpaceboy1] was a AOL SP Chat regular who basically raped and killed an 11 year old who was selling candy door to door. It was a catalyst in a nationwide awareness of the danger of selling candy door to door.

Eventually a lot of clique-ish ape-types took over and all the fun ended. then, around 1999, the O-Board [official board on smashingpumpkins.com[ came into existence. I posted as Apathy2007. It was such a horrific time in my life. So many of us became engrossed in that whole board. I know people who got married to, pregnant by and in awful real-life relationships with people they met on the SP O-boards. I actually just met one of the people I met on that board in Chicago when I visited a couple of months ago. How bizarre.

I wish I could list all the names of people I remember, but I am sure I would forget people and the list of those I do remember is far too long.

I remember the big "Methusela" craze. It was the legendary "song that is rumored to exist but no one has heard it." Now it's on my iPod. Bizarre. And there there were the pre-mp3 days when you actually had to shell out $30 for an import of the Disarm single just so you could own and listen to a copy of "Dancing in the Moonlight."

Boy. the memories. How time has flown by. Emo was including the most depressing song lyrics to SP you could find in your MB user name signature so that you could express your true, sad feelings to the online world and garner attention from other people.

Those were also the days of hundreds of dollars used for phone cards so you could call the online friends you loved the mostest!

Old 06-01-2007, 04:25 AM   #116
spidersoma
Ownz

remember how you could get bots for AOL chat rooms and play SP Lyrics scramble? Like .. you would type in the lyrics or the name of a song in the bot and it would spit them up scrambled in the room and the first person to type them correctly would win.

and someone above mentioned the chat room singing a song one line at a time. i remember that.

i also remember the big UPGRADE to AOL 2.0, lol. Then 4.0 came out and you could use COLORED text. Boy, that really got people creaming their shorts, lol.

I vaguely remember a girl named Liz who "stole" the AOL name I wanted, Spiteface. She was hot.

Onica .... she was legit? I was one of those people who never believed her. Bummer.

I remember when I basically forced someone to give me Jimmy's AOL/AIM user name years ago [pre-machina]. he rndomly signed on maybe 2 months later and, in conversation, told me he was cleaned up and re-joining the band about 2 months before he re-joined the band. nobody believed me. : ( he seemed concerned with what the fans thought about him and asked me more questions than i asked him. it was a nice conversation.

it was nice hopping on the SP bandwagon in 1993 and seeing the whole thing unfold, especially online. we were obssessed nutjobs!

Old 06-01-2007, 09:14 AM   #117
1979zero33
Amish Rake Fighter

onica was the real deal. she was in a story on courtney love in the issue of spin w/ the "jungle" tsp cover and the flourescent light bulb pix inside (actually, that might've been the 'omg cl's computer got haX0red' story). saw her at the 2 bc solo shows in san francisco, too (w/ an after-show pass). she was nice to people who were nice to her, and a bitch to people who said she was full of shit and constantly harrassed her. go figure.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:03 AM   #118
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979zero33
onica was the real deal. she was in a story on courtney love in the issue of spin w/ the "jungle" tsp cover and the flourescent light bulb pix inside (actually, that might've been the 'omg cl's computer got haX0red' story). saw her at the 2 bc solo shows in san francisco, too (w/ an after-show pass). she was nice to people who were nice to her, and a bitch to people who said she was full of shit and constantly harrassed her. go figure.
Yeah, she was definitely the real deal. I think a lot of people said she was full of shit because she had a way of being really snotty about stuff sometimes. "i know billy" this and "i know billy" that, and "don't fuck with billy or i'll kill you". There was a combination of annoyance, disbelief, and probably jealousy going on with the people who were jerks to her. My own problem with her started after some kid randomly emailed me billy's address, and I mentioned that it had happened on listessa or amsp or whichever it was. I wasn't about to post his address, just that it was weird how this guy gives me billy's address out of the blue, without my asking for it. Onica jumped on me, threating me and shit about it, as if I'd posted his address online. I had no intention of doing so, in fact I thought it was pretty fucked up that the guy gave it to me in the first place, but onica was super defensive of billy. Like she was his bodyguard or something. Anyway, after that whole thing blew over, Onica and I were okay with each other.
I think I remember that article you're talking about...I'd forgetten about that.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:14 AM   #119
devotchka
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpycat
I also bought a lot of those cassette bootlegs/rarity compilations from the tradelist, for $5 a piece or some such from a guy who called himself "Osaka." The quality of could be quite bad but I would blast them from my stereo anyway.
i remember osaka! well, more correctly, i remember the name osaka. pretty sure i had quite a few of those cassettes too.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:56 AM   #120
AlphaCentauri
Demi-God

anyone remember the siamese dreamers? I met so many of the most influential people in my teenage years from that list.

Luvs SP and Gishydream were my first two long term relationships, Spazeboy17(beau) flew in from iowa to goto the 3/2/00 signing in boston with me and to the lupos show. Ocorrigan was my first best friend(she masqueraded as a guy to get all the girls in the AOL SP private room to fall in love with her). ::sigh::

::cues song about memories::