Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #1
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Default When the Record You Buy at the Merch Table Doesn't Come with a Digital Download Code

https://pics.me.me/0-angry-react-this-4187670.png

Old 03-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #2
Shallowed
Braindead

Just pirate it anyway

Old 03-17-2017, 07:01 PM   #3
Disco King
Minion of Satan

That can be hard to do with local bands.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #4
Ram27
dumb

I was into records for a bit last year and I had the opposite problem: so many albums in my digital library were hard to find or nonexistent on vinyl (never mind all my concert bootlegs) so my collection would always be incomplete.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:14 PM   #5
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

I usually give away my download codes because I had already pirated them in the first place

Old 03-17-2017, 11:14 PM   #6
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

sorry bands I still love you

Old 03-17-2017, 11:39 PM   #7
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
That can be hard to do with local bands.
Just break into their house then.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:26 AM   #8
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

shoot them immediately.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:26 AM   #9
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

you can simply ask them to send you the mp3's?

Old 03-18-2017, 12:03 PM   #10
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post

Yeah plenty local acts lack computer skilled members but will at least know how to attach an MP3 to your email address, swoosh, then it's all yours to seed on pirate bays

Last edited by run2pee : 03-18-2017 at 12:33 PM. Reason: needs more coffee

Old 03-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #11
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Money in the bank

Old 03-18-2017, 09:47 PM   #12
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Just rip the CD

Then upload it to private torrent trackers for ratio

Old 03-18-2017, 10:36 PM   #13
slunken
Virgo

Most records come with dl codes. If it doesn't, just email the band and they'll be more than happy to hook you up because they realize that you buying the physical record costs more than a dl. Setting up a system that includes dl codes in each record costs extra money. You probably didn't want to pay more for the record you bought.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:08 AM   #14
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
Most records come with dl codes. If it doesn't, just email the band and they'll be more than happy to hook you up because they realize that you buying the physical record costs more than a dl. Setting up a system that includes dl codes in each record costs extra money. You probably didn't want to pay more for the record you bought.
I thought about contacting them, but I just wasn't sure if the reaction would be, "hey, somebody purchased and enjoys our music, I'd be happy to send him the digital files!" or "look at this asswipe trying to get free shit why did you buy this format if you wanted another one that's like going to the store and buying apples and then demanding free apple juice because you want your apples in both formats but don't want to just juice t****

But yeah, if I were to have purchased the records from their Bandcamps, I would had gotten the digital file, anyway, so I guess this is no different. I'm going to shoot them a message.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:09 AM   #15
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

shooting. yes. good.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:13 AM   #16
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post

Yeah plenty local acts lack computer skilled members but will at least know how to attach an MP3 to your email address, swoosh, then it's all yours to seed on pirate bays
One night, I was at the bus stop with this dude who had a guitar, and I asked him about it and he said he was from out of town and heading to play a show. We got to talking about music and stuff and I asked him if he has any music on him to sell so that I can check his stuff out. The dude seemed really surprised and stoked and was like, "wow, I haven't even started playing yet, and I've already made a sale." He even told me to feel free to seed it and spread it around.

Never did get around to doing that. Maybe I will, as it's a nice little acoustic EP. I've also thought about seeding some other local bands I like, but just uploading a few songs and then including a link to their Bandcamps for people who want to buy the full albums. Then I realized how dumb and pointless that was because I might as well just pass around the Bandcamp link in the first place because people will check out the songs before they decide to buy, anyway.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:52 PM   #17
Disco King
Minion of Satan

So I emailed both the bands. I included photos of my records in both emails as proof of purchase. Not that I think they would suspect me of lying, but just to make sure, because anybody could email any band and be like "hey I bought ur record can I get the code?" and get free music.

One of them already got back to me and gave me the digital download code. He seemed pretty appreciative of the email, probably because the photographic proof I sent had a jokey note in it. That's what I like about talking to small acts, they are still at that point where they are really appreciative of people taking an interest in their music and aren't all jaded yet. If somebody were to like, "play song X!", they'd be like "holy shit, you know our stuff well enough to know the titles of our songs?!" instead of "fuck off."

The other band hasn't gotten back to me yet, but it's understandable, since they're touring the US right now.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #18
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
Setting up a system that includes dl codes in each record costs extra money. You probably didn't want to pay more for the record you bought.
Yeah, I'd imagine it'd cost more money to have either the record label or the vinyl-pressing company set up a free download thing, but since Bandcamp itself has a "redeem code" link, if one has an account, I would think that it would be free to generate codes and package them with the records.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:01 PM   #19
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Hmm, I guess it isn't free. Well, you get 200 free ones, and you get some more free ones based on your online sales, but if you want extra, you have to pay. Makes sense. Bandcamp would take a cut of the music you sell off their site, but wouldn't make any money from bands selling something at their merch table.

https://bandcamp.com/codes_how_to/

Old 03-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #20
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

ok! 🍧

Old 03-21-2017, 07:12 PM   #21
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
So I emailed both the bands. I included photos of my records in both emails as proof of purchase. Not that I think they would suspect me of lying, but just to make sure, because anybody could email any band and be like "hey I bought ur record can I get the code?" and get free music.

One of them already got back to me and gave me the digital download code. He seemed pretty appreciative of the email, probably because the photographic proof I sent had a jokey note in it. That's what I like about talking to small acts, they are still at that point where they are really appreciative of people taking an interest in their music and aren't all jaded yet. If somebody were to like, "play song X!", they'd be like "holy shit, you know our stuff well enough to know the titles of our songs?!" instead of "fuck off."

The other band hasn't gotten back to me yet, but it's understandable, since they're touring the US right now.
what band are we talking about if i may ask?

Old 03-21-2017, 07:16 PM   #22
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Yeah, I'd imagine it'd cost more money to have either the record label or the vinyl-pressing company set up a free download thing, but since Bandcamp itself has a "redeem code" link, if one has an account, I would think that it would be free to generate codes and package them with the records.
my band did it with one of our records. it was not expensive at all (it was a small pressing though). pressing the record itself is expensive, it's not like those couple of bucks will make a big difference (if any) in the selling price.

we sold / sell that record for € 10 and that is still with a small profit margin. prices have really gone up though.