Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2016, 08:25 PM   #1
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Billy Corgan Rules Out 'Classic Album' Smashing Pumpkins Shows

Rolling Stone March 14, 2016

Billy Corgan Rules Out 'Classic Album' Smashing Pumpkins Shows

Last year marked the 20th anniversary of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness by the Smashing Pumpkins, though the band chose not to commemorate the occasion with any sort of re-release or tour featuring nightly performances of the complete double album. "The idea of getting up and playing an album that was never meant to be played live in that sequence smacks of consumerism," Billy Corgan tells Rolling Stone. "That stuff is the dregs of the music business. I have a hard time believing that everybody out there doing it really wants to do it."

That doesn't mean he isn't fond of the album. "I'm proud to have made such an album that's important," Corgan says. "The millennials love Siamese Dream. Who'd've guessed, I mean, no one's harder on the millennials than me. But they loved Siamese Dream? Great! But I'm not gonna go out there and hack around just to reclaim some light that I don't feel has gone out. The light is still in my eyes. I'm still more than capable of producing new work. I wrote a new song this morning and that's what I'm out here doing."

The complete album concert craze began in 1998 when Cheap Trick played their 1970s LPs on a widely acclaimed tour. Brian Wilson followed with a Pet Sounds tour in 2000 and since then, everyone from Liz Phair to Pixies to Devo and even Bruce Springsteen has gotten in on it. "I think it's played itself through," says Corgan. "I think the fans have already grown bored with it, best I can tell. You don't see as much of it as you saw a couple years ago."

The Smashing Pumpkins return to the road on March 22nd when they launch their In Plainsong tour, where they will present stripped-down version of tunes from their entire catalog at theaters across America.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:36 PM   #2
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

Not a surprise. Album shows are boring anyway. Records a sequenced one way, setlists are sequenced another. Glad Billy never did this.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:45 PM   #3
s0ss
Demi-God

Billy continues to sound insane. I thought we were talking about 20th anniversary of MCIS. I'm glad millennials like Siamese Dream. What?

Old 03-14-2016, 08:53 PM   #4
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

remember when bill saw Waters perform The Wall and tweeted how great it was live?

good times

Old 03-14-2016, 08:56 PM   #5
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
Not a surprise. Album shows are boring anyway. Records a sequenced one way, setlists are sequenced another. Glad Billy never did this.
Oh I'm not surprised. I hear you.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:56 PM   #6
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Bill sure liked watching Fleetwood Mac play their hits too

Old 03-14-2016, 10:13 PM   #7
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTaper View Post
But they loved Siamese Dream? Great!
Wait until they hear Siamese Democracy.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:31 PM   #8
DaveKShape
Ownz

Fans going to full album shows isn't even necessarily about hearing the "full album" for a large number of fans. It's about hearing all the other non-standard setlist songs from that album, some of which have never been played live.

For some reason, Billy views this as a death knell for bands, but I think he's just overthinking it. There's no reason he can't go and do Siamese Dream and then play a second set of whatever the fuck he wants. He might even have a little fun.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:40 PM   #9
starlightvideoproductions
Ownz

So he's not going to play a full album live.... you mean a full album live again? For fucks sake, he played Oceania from start to finish for a full tour.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:11 AM   #10
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

He also once said that he thought Unplugged & Storytellers were the sign of a band's imminent demise. Then, he played Storytellers... turns out he was right!

Old 03-15-2016, 12:13 AM   #11
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
Wait until they hear Siamese Democracy.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:31 AM   #12
Bomb The Moon
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlightvideoproductions View Post
For fucks sake, he played Oceania from start to finish for a full tour.
the kidz demanded it.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:39 AM   #13
Saih
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
I've only ever seen one album show and that was Roger Waters doing Dark Side of the Moon.
It was fucking amazing.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:43 AM   #14
Order 66
Socialphobic

billy hasn't made anything good since 2015

Old 03-15-2016, 10:11 AM   #15
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

You misspelt 1996, 2003 and/or 2005.*

*Depending on fan sanity level.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:22 AM   #16
tweedyburd
Ownz

Arrow

"That stuff is the dregs of the music business," says Billy Corgan. "It smacks of consumerism"

Said the guy who sells his jams to Visa, Viacom, etc..

Old 03-15-2016, 10:35 AM   #17
Ram27
dumb

Says the guy who tries to get fans to archive old B-sides of B-sides of jams and sell them to 200 other fans

Old 03-15-2016, 10:57 AM   #18
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Inkjet photo outtakes - limited supply! Act now

Old 03-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #19
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

I saw NIN play the entire Downward Spiral. That was only cool because it was an unannounced surprise during the final Waves Goodbye club shows, and because I realized there were about 3-4 songs that I had always wanted to see live that would finally be played that night.

Other than that I think the full album shows thing is boring attention grabbing trend.

Billys problem is he gets way to wrapped up in this shit and over thinks his setlists like he over thinks everything. He then inexplicably often throws horrible long jam songs into the set that are almost always disasters.

He's really bad and making interesting setlists.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:21 AM   #20
run2pee
Minion of Satan

I saw Queens of the Stone Age play their self-titled debut on my birthday and it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. "Hispanic Impressions," even, in all its herky-jerky stoner gonzo madness. Afterward they took a short break and came back and took requests from the audience. It felt really intimate and special. If only bill could chill out and go with the flow like good ole Josh Homme

Old 03-15-2016, 12:05 PM   #21
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Did someone at Rolling Stone magazine really say, "you know what, we should call up Billy Corgan and get his thoughts on playing albums from start to finish at shows?" Sometimes, I think Corgan just calls these publications out of the blue and leaves long-winded voice messages.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:20 PM   #22
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Did someone at Rolling Stone magazine really say, "you know what, we should call up Billy Corgan and get his thoughts on playing albums from start to finish at shows?" Sometimes, I think Corgan just calls these publications out of the blue and leaves long-winded voice messages.
The author already has another new SP article up. Probably ran into Boz somewhere

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-fame-20160315

Old 03-15-2016, 01:40 PM   #23
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Oh and I saw Pink Floyd do the entire Dark Side of the Moon. Didn't really care, in fact thought it was kinda boring.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:22 PM   #24
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

In a few months I'll be watching Manic Street Preachers perform the whole of their 1996 'Everything Must Go' album. I think it'll be good. Plus Super Furry Animals are playing, and an interesting duo called Public Service Broadcasting. Bitches

Old 03-15-2016, 02:38 PM   #25
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah Moon View Post
In a few months I'll be watching Manic Street Preachers perform the whole of their 1996 'Everything Must Go' album. I think it'll be good. Plus Super Furry Animals are playing, and an interesting duo called Public Service Broadcasting. Bitches
that's the only "nostalgia" (as opposed to playing a new album, like the full Oceania tour was) album gig I ever went to: Holy Bible 20th anniversary. I didn't care if that was selling out or whatever, I'm a casual MSP fan at best and had seen them live only one time before that. So for me it was a great gig, mainly because the audience went nuts.

Wouldn't care for a MCIS or SD full album gig at all.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:36 PM   #26
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

The truth is that bElly couldn't pull off mcis. he'd fuckin butcher it. can you imagine him droning, in monotone vibrato "time heals but im 4evar broken.."? LAME-O

Old 03-15-2016, 04:37 PM   #27
FoolofaTook

boris just did a pink show.

fucking christ.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:16 PM   #28
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
that's the only "nostalgia" (as opposed to playing a new album, like the full Oceania tour was) album gig I ever went to: Holy Bible 20th anniversary. I didn't care if that was selling out or whatever, I'm a casual MSP fan at best and had seen them live only one time before that. So for me it was a great gig, mainly because the audience went nuts.

Wouldn't care for a MCIS or SD full album gig at all.
I was going to see the Holy Bible gig in Cardiff but I couldn't do it in the end, so I'm watching EMG in Swansea end of May. In some ways I'd rather go to this one anyway

Old 03-15-2016, 05:25 PM   #29
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
The truth is that bElly couldn't pull off mcis. he'd fuckin butcher it. can you imagine him droning, in monotone vibrato "time heals but im 4evar broken.."? LAME-O
unfortunately we can do more than imagine

Old 03-15-2016, 05:32 PM   #30
FoolofaTook

fuck i was afraid someone was going to do that.

i am NOT clicking on that. i'm gonna go listen to twilight to starlight in a park and hug myself.