Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2018, 09:16 AM   #31
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
9/22/96 - Target Center, Mpls

Hard to remember specifics, because i was only 16 at the time. I remember being really excited to see my (at the time) favorite band live. I was disappointed Jimmy wasn't playing with them, and hoped Matt Walker would be good enough. I think that's my biggest memory, being critical of Matt Walker, and thinking "Huh, he's pretty good, wish it was Jimmy though..." Conversely, I was excited that Dennis Frog was playing keys, and I tried hard to pick out what he was adding to the songs (but I couldn't hear shit, lol).

They opened with "Where Boys Fear To Tread" which was great. They went through all the hits and the MCIS concert staples I was already familiar with through bootlegs. Then we fucking got "Siva". Tore it up, it was great, and I knew that was a rarity for this tour. Set-closer was a great, feedbacky "Porcelina" that which had "Beautiful" somewhere in the middle eight, and then ended with the 'new' "Rocket", which was what I really wanted to hear. Encore #1 was a pretty good "XYU"; encore #2 was "1979" and, as with the rest of the tour, Jimmy Frog came out to play guitar in full costume. Everyone cheered for someone whom I assume they had no idea who he even was. And then there was "Muzzle", which was a personal favorite that I wasn't sure would even be played. That was it for me, great ending. How the fuck can they even top that? Well, encore #3 was fucking "Bodies", and then the infamous 'new' "Silverfuck".

I will say, the stories are absolutely true about this. I knew it was gonna happen from bootlegs, and was excited to hear it, to witness it. But in all honesty, it wasn't as magical as I thought it'd be. It sort of dragged on and on and on, and the new arrangement just simply wasn't as great as I thought it was (unlike the new "Rocket" which I thought breathed new life into the song). A few minutes into "Silverfuck", I noticed the audience getting smaller and smaller... Why are you guys leaving?? Didn't we all pay $40 for this ticket?? (in 1996 teenager money, that was a lot!) Then it became really obvious this was a thing, and the band was literally challenging the casuals to stay! Once you dropped the facade that this was somehow real/great music/art and accepted they were just fucking with everyone, it was pretty hilarious. Since I deemed myself a "true fan" at the time so I obviously stayed for the whole thing (as well as I wanted my full money's worth), but in hindsight, it was kinda ridiculous; a band who worked their asses off to get where they were, and then intentionally alienate the people they tried to spend their career winning over? Is this a fucking joke? But at the time it was very much an Us (tr00 fan) vs Them (casuals) and Corgan was instigating it all. The fuck was the point?

This "Silverfuck" I witnessed seemed to be 33 minutes long, according to circulating boots. When it was over, Corgan thanked us all who remained and praised us as the real fans. There was only 1/3 of this nearly-sold out auditorium left when the lights went on. My only really criticism was we didn't get "The Aeroplane Flies High", which was then a brand new song they were playing around this leg of the tour, that hadn't even been released yet, rumored to be loud, long and awesome... and we didn't get it.
I saw the 11/19/1996 show in Atlanta at the Omni (now Philips Arena), and had pretty much the exact same experience. As a matter of fact, it was almost eerie reading your recollection of this show since I had such a similar experience and felt many of the same things.

The biggest difference was sound problems. I could not really hear anything wrong from where I sat (nosebleed seats), but apparently the band had issues with the monitors all night long. At different points in the show, Billy, D'arcy, and James all made comments about not being able to hear themselves on stage. As a result, the band ended "Silverfuck" early. I think they ended it at about 20 minutes (at that time the band was nearing 30 minutes for the song). As best I remember, they attempted to "end" the song instead of just stopping, but it was obvious (even to people who didn't listen to bootlegs) that they ended the song prematurely. The majority of the crowd stayed since the song didn't go on nearly as long, so I never got to see the infamous 1/3 full arenas after a 30+ minute "Silverfuck." Afterwards, Billy came back on stage (causing a ton of applause since people expected the sound issues were fixed and the band would play another song), apologized for the sound issues, and said the next time they played Atlanta they'd make up for it.

Regarding Matt, I was definitely bummed Jimmy was gone, but at the same time, I was impressed the band found someone who seemed to fit into the band so well both musically and personality-wise. I always consider losing Matt to be one of Billy's biggest mistakes.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:24 PM   #32
SeaPumpkinsFan
Amish Rake Fighter

I only saw the original band and all four members once, but it was on the small MCIS tour in the early part of 1996.

They came to Seattle for two nights at The Moore Theater, February 9th & 10th 1996. There had a been a flood on the way to Seattle and all their gear didn't make it, so as a result the first show started a couple hours late and they used a bunch of gear from Alice in Chains/Pearl Jam/Soundgarden.

I saw the show on February 10th and it was EPIC! They played 10 songs in their pajamas, opening for themselves, mainly acoustic and sounded awesome!!! They came back, plugged in and RAWKED!!! It was so damn loud.

Ended up playing 21 of the 28 songs on MCIS that night. A blistering nearly 20 minute version of Silverfuck (with a Never Let Me Down tease) and closing with Farewell & Goodnight. It was and still is the best show I've ever seen.

There was no light show, no fancy back drops, just four friends making loud music for the fans and it was pretty damn epic!

Old 07-17-2018, 10:43 PM   #33
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

Thanks for making this thread, had fun finding all these shows.

http://www.spfc.org/tours/date.html?tour_id=289

#1 Probably top 3 concert in my life, also just an overall amazing event in general. The Frogs were teasing SP songs and fucking with the crowd to no end.

http://www.spfc.org/tours/date.html?tour_id=351

#8 This show, most of the crowd turned on them and abandoned their seats. We were able to move up to about the 5th row. Bill was desecrating a Bob Segar [local hero] doll.

http://www.spfc.org/tours/date.html?tour_id=477

#6 Was a good show. Was in one of the top rows. People were standing on their seats and rocking in the very top of the stadium.

http://www.spfc.org/tours/date.html?tour_id=505

#5 Seats were zip tied together, was warned several times about no moshing or even leaving your seat. We stood on the seats the whole time. Was a short show for SP.

http://www.spfc.org/tours/date.html?tour_id=568

#3 One of the best BC shows. Believe he had just broken up with a GF and he was ranting and raving the whole time. Was screaming, doing the Billy 'lean' and totally rocking out. People were leaving during Silverfuck. We were able to move way up and got the the very front. TAFH was a highlight.

http://www.spfc.org/tours/date.html?tour_id=657

#9 This was the donation Adore tour. I hated this show. Left early and Bill yelled out "We don't play rock anymore so go home" I was really down on SP and decided not to go when they came back 1994-04-10. I have regretted this for 15 years.

http://www.spfc.org/tours/date.html?tour_id=759

#6 This was an awesome show, had a really weird vibe tho. One of the people I was with said right after we walked out: Is this the end for SP, will we ever see them again after Saturday? They were pretty close! This show had that amazing version of Zero.

http://www.spfc.org/tours/date.html?tour_id=761

#2 One of the most intense shows I have been to. Been to many metal shows, this was right up there. This place is all concrete, including the bleachers. Was packed in the whole time, The Fuck You at the end was absolutely insane. The crowd was ridiculous the whole time. Totally different experience from a few days before. Melissa’s bass was so loud and she was so aggressive. Jimmy drumming on Tear. So much good stuff here. Listen to the crowd here, you can here the reverby sound from the all concrete room: https://archive.org/details/tsp2000-...4-22d2t07.flac

http://www.spfc.org/tours/date.html?tour_id=848

#4 Everyone knows the story here. 2nd to last show. Met a dude in Chinatown to buy the ticket. Went alone.

http://www.spfc.org/tours/date.html?tour_id=913

#7 This was a super cool show. There was a terrible woman in front of me that called her son and let him listen to the show through her huge brick phone while asking him every 2 minutes if he could hear.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:12 PM   #34
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Wellington, NZ, 1996.

I don't remember a lot. I had been drinking gin straight out of the bottle. I lost my friends.

Most of my high school friends switched their Pumpkins tickets for RHCP ones, when the show was delayed. So I didn't know a lot of people there.

I remember James doing a little speech bit, something like "Forget you're in a sweaty dance hall..." and cringing a little. I would rather have been in a sweaty dance hall than in the piece of shit structure we were actually in that was built as a dual purpose concert and sports event venue. Terrible acoustics. Everything was loud. Don't remember a single track. I do remember a Mad Professor bit that in hindsight was probably Silverfuck, that went on too long, people stopped jumping, and it was just loud and shitty

Old 07-17-2018, 11:20 PM   #35
Shallowed
Braindead

Good thread.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:20 PM   #36
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

September 96 - my first concert, my favorite band in the world, it was heaven

March 2000 - couldn't believe I was so close to them after meeting them at the autograph session. it was also magic.

3 Summersault dates, summer 2000 - still excited to see them but festivals suck and so did tolerating our lady peace... and by the end of it I never wanted to hear Glass & the Ghost Children or Heavy Metal Machine again

United Center December 2000 - bittersweet. It was an arena show again and after experiencing them in a small venue back in March I wasn't super thrilled. Plus ya know still a fairly standard setlist if I remember.

Metro December 2 2000 - pure fucking magic.

Then I saw some Zwan shows the Djali ones were amazing and it was all downhill from there, but I had a lot of fun hanging out with good folks.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:45 PM   #37
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_princess View Post

I think the Asheville residency was a pretty special experience, but nothing can fucking top that. Fucking lucky

Old 07-17-2018, 11:50 PM   #38
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

yeah that wasn't the real pumpkins so

Old 07-20-2018, 12:36 AM   #39
apathy
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaPumpkinsFan View Post
I only saw the original band and all four members once, but it was on the small MCIS tour in the early part of 1996.

They came to Seattle for two nights at The Moore Theater, February 9th & 10th 1996.
I think that was peak Pumpkins for me. That small venue MC tour would have been amazing to see. What was the ticket purchasing process like? Do you still have your ticket, and if so, would you mind posting some pics of it?

Old 07-20-2018, 02:23 AM   #40
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Big day out, 1994, Auckland

Festival show, played mostly on the sun. Fucking awesome, stole the show from Soundgarden.

Mt smart Supertop, may 23 1996.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-s...-1bd7514c.html

My and Thomo paid an extra $10 to get in to the front section. It was outstanding. We were pogoing during one of Bills solos and he was watching us and he was pissing himself with laughter. Also Jennifer Weathercenter was there in blue satin pants and her ass was glorious.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:27 AM   #41
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_princess View Post
You were there??? Please tell me more about that experience.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #42
ava transformer
Apocalyptic Poster

Nov 29, 2000 United Center
I trekked to Chicago like so many of us & was also one of many that didn't have Metro tix. I remember upgrading my seat for the United Center & meeting Billy Sr & Matt Walker before the show. I think I have my signed ticket stub from that show somewhere. I will say the Rock On/ Heavy Metal Machine is the best versioms of those songs. It was such an overwhelming sad feeling as it was the "final" show for me.
Dec 2, 2000..The Metro
I knew people who got tix when they went on sale, I knew people who hung outside the Metro days leading up & got guestlisted by JC.. I was hopeful but realistic that I was not getting in.
We were all outside in the mania that was happening. It's cold as fuck..I am standing outside with Everyone else that didn't have tickets. They put a barrier outside to keep the entry clear from all of us who have gathered. My friends at the time asked if I wanted to leave to get food with them..I declined. They asked if I wanted to go back to the hotel..I declined. I was staying til the end. Joe set speakers outside so we could all hear the show..I am at the front of the barrier and people behind me are pushing a lot.. I'm mellon collie & singing along...then all of a sudden a guy comes from the entry way & hands me a FUCKING TICKET �� People move out of the way so I can go in. I missed the first 2 hours..but OMG I got in the Metro. I asked him why he gave me the ticket & he said I looked so sad that he wanted to help. Joe Shanahan was actually getting random fans in..but the guy who helped me was just some random casual fan with an extra ticket. I showed him my 2 SP tattoos I had at the time & went in.
I caught Rick Nielson's guitar pic from when he played Cherub Rick with them. I remember Jimmy's drumstick getting stuck in the ceiling when he threw it up.. Billy crying and being genuinely sad& crying thanking us when the show was over. I remember James leaving the stage immediately when the show was over. I was in such disbelief that I got in. Afterwards outside my friends who left asked where I was..and I was like "I GOT INTO THE FINAL SHOW BITCHES"��.. I have the cd they gave out.. In fact it's never been played & still in pristine condition.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:33 AM   #43
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

what cd is this?

Old 07-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #44
ava transformer
Apocalyptic Poster

The CD of the first SP show at the Metro that James did the artwork for. They had I think 1000 copies made to give to fans at the final show.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:14 AM   #45
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
what cd is this?
CR-05 bitch

http://spfreaks.com/item/live-at-cabaret-metro-10-5-88/
https://www.discogs.com/The-Smashing...elease/2290198
https://archive.org/details/tsp1988-10-05

Old 07-20-2018, 09:17 AM   #46
FoolofaTook

damn that's awesome

Old 07-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #47
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ava transformer View Post
I trekked to Chicago like so many of us & was also one of many that didn't have Metro tix. I remember upgrading my seat for the United Center & meeting Billy Sr & Matt Walker before the show. I think I have my signed ticket stub from that show somewhere. I will say the Rock On/ Heavy Metal Machine is the best versioms of those songs. It was such an overwhelming sad feeling as it was the "final" show for me.
Dec 2, 2000..The Metro
I knew people who got tix when they went on sale, I knew people who hung outside the Metro days leading up & got guestlisted by JC.. I was hopeful but realistic that I was not getting in.
We were all outside in the mania that was happening. It's cold as fuck..I am standing outside with Everyone else that didn't have tickets. They put a barrier outside to keep the entry clear from all of us who have gathered. My friends at the time asked if I wanted to leave to get food with them..I declined. They asked if I wanted to go back to the hotel..I declined. I was staying til the end. Joe set speakers outside so we could all hear the show..I am at the front of the barrier and people behind me are pushing a lot.. I'm mellon collie & singing along...then all of a sudden a guy comes from the entry way & hands me a FUCKING TICKET �� People move out of the way so I can go in. I missed the first 2 hours..but OMG I got in the Metro. I asked him why he gave me the ticket & he said I looked so sad that he wanted to help. Joe Shanahan was actually getting random fans in..but the guy who helped me was just some random casual fan with an extra ticket. I showed him my 2 SP tattoos I had at the time & went in.
I caught Rick Nielson's guitar pic from when he played Cherub Rick with them. I remember Jimmy's drumstick getting stuck in the ceiling when he threw it up.. Billy crying and being genuinely sad& crying thanking us when the show was over. I remember James leaving the stage immediately when the show was over. I was in such disbelief that I got in. Afterwards outside my friends who left asked where I was..and I was like "I GOT INTO THE FINAL SHOW BITCHES"��.. I have the cd they gave out.. In fact it's never been played & still in pristine condition.

Question I have always had since we still have not gotten a full version of "Silverfuck" that night. Did they "wrap up" the song, or did it just kind of end randomly?

Old 07-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #48
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Dec 2, 2000..The Metro
holy fuckkkk thanks for posting

imagine being guestlisted by J[esus]C[hrist] for the final metro show....

Old 07-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #49
mpp
Minion of Satan

Quote:
It's cold as fuck
People who weren't there will not understand how true this is. God, it was COLD. I think I laid down on the sidewalk at some point. It took at least 20 minutes to thaw out once we were all inside.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:20 PM   #50
mpp
Minion of Satan

Weather archives say it was around 30 with a 10+ MPH wind

and standing outside for hours and hours and hours didn't help either

Old 07-21-2018, 02:17 AM   #51
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

yeah what happened after the circulating recording of Silverfuck from the last show? there's only the one picture of Billy crying with his hand on his heart, what was the rest of the show like before it was over?

Old 07-21-2018, 03:21 AM   #52
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Birmingham, UK in 2000 - queued from about 9am to get front centre on the rail, Corgan was in a terrible mood and stormed off two thirds through the set

The Wembley gigs in the same week were both fantastic especially the second one where they opened with TEG

Old 07-21-2018, 06:53 AM   #53
mpp
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
yeah what happened after the circulating recording of Silverfuck from the last show? there's only the one picture of Billy crying with his hand on his heart, what was the rest of the show like before it was over?
i remember lots of joking in line about how excited i was to her glass and the ghost children kick off the show

then we got MCIS and rocket, and i almost pissed myself

Old 07-22-2018, 05:03 PM   #54
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

so what happened at the end of the show, after the recording we have cut off? how did Silverfuck wrap up? how long did Billy stay on stage?

Old 07-22-2018, 08:40 PM   #55
spidrr
Ownz

1/12/96 Academy, NYC - my first SP show. I was in 8th grade and had been a fan since Siamese, but missed them when they came through NYC in the Fall of 94. There was an insane blizzard that day on 1/12/96. It was the first run of small club MCIS dates. The snow was so bad trains werent running, so I had to get a ride in from my dad. I remember walking in to the venue (which looked similar to the Metro with the big fancy white pillars on stage) and I walked right up to the front center since there was barely anyone in the venue yet due to the snow. I sat there until the show started. To say I was front center for my first SP show is a pretty crazy thing to me. There was a picture in Rolling Stone of this show a couple months later, and you can see me and my friend right up front. The show itself was incredible. The energy, the feeling that this band was becoming the biggest band in the world at the time is hard to put into words.

9/17/96 (7/12/96) MSG, NYC - This was the rescheduled 7/12 show where Melvoin overdosed. I remember waking up the morning of 7/12 and seeing it all over the news. When they rescheduled Matt Walker was on board, and I liked Filter so this seemed like a solid fit. First time seeing them in an arena, and seeing the amount of people was jaw dropping. Was so used to watching Veiuphoria and seeing the size clubs they played then...so to see them in a sold out arena...jesus. Also seeing Jimmy from the Frogs there as well was awesome.

1/24/97 Nassau, NY - This was towards the end of their US MCIS tour. I had floor seats, though I believe there was a GA section up front...not sure about this. I remember it was my first time seeing them play Drown.

8/1/98 Radio City - Totally different kind of show than the others I've seen up to this point. The show itself seemed more of an arranged performance than just a band ripping through their songs at volume 11. The fact it was at Radio City was also a factor in this. Given it's fully seated, the venue fit the whole Adore vibe pretty spot on. This was probably my least favorite show. I was in the back, under the balcony and felt pretty far removed. They played great though, and it was nice to hear different arrangements of SD/MCIS songs.

4/14/99 Tramps, NYC Arising Tour - Jimmy was back and holy...fuck. This venue was tiny. The kind of place where local bands would put together a 3/4 band bill and bring all their friends. I cut school and waited in line for these tickets. Was lucky enough to get them. The venue was packed. I was about 10 feet from the stage between D'arcy and Billy. We all had our STARLA signs ready to go (I forget how it happened, but I think someone here on Netphoria had the idea that we all hold up signs that say STARLA during the encore. They passed them out in line. We held them up. James teased the riff. That was the end of it.) - They played a bunch of Machina songs that no one had heard yet. I remember hearing Stand Inside Your Love, Speed Kills and Dross for the first time and being blown the fuck away. Also the first time I ever got to hear La Dolly Vita, Soma, and Siva I believe. Hands down my favorite SP show of all.

2/29/2000 HMV Record Store - Promo for Machina. Cut school, waited in line...had the option to either *meet* them and get a signed Machina, or see them play. As I didnt give a shit about meeting them in such a formal way, I chose to see them play. They played for about 45 mins to an hour. We all packed into the CD aisles...which was odd. Seeing SP while standing next to a bunch of Backstreet Boys CDs. I remember they played Crush, that was cool.

4/25/2000 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC - The crowd was crazy. An insane amount of pushing and swaying. It was so packed you couldn't stay still since the crowd moved, you moved. Someone above said it as well. Felt like a rip current. Seemed dangerous...but fuck it, what else could you do? Pale Scales was fucking rad. The whole show was just loud and raw, in an unforgettable way.

I had tickets to second to last United Center show. Had plans to trek out there with a few other random people from here in the NYC area. I couldn't go last second, dont remember why. Found out they all also got into the Metro show. I still think about that to this day.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:03 PM   #56
KManXC
Ownz

http://www.spfc.org/tours/date.html?tour_id=357

Lollapolooza '94, the day I truly became a fan of this stupid band. If I remember, Billy told the audience he wrote Disarm about a man he was in love with in Spain.

http://www.spfc.org/tours/date.html?tour_id=482

MCIS tour in Philadelphia. Must've been a week or so before the tragedy with Dennis. I remember being very impressed with Garbage and wondered why their lead singer wore such a short skirt without any underpants. The teenage version of me didn't mind.

http://www.spfc.org/tours/date.html?tour_id=496

Hometown show for me. Nothing memorable.

http://www.spfc.org/tours/date.html?tour_id=524

Only thing I remember is Billy saying the band was sick and cut the show short by an hour. Crowd didn't like that.

http://www.spfc.org/tours/date.html?tour_id=672
http://www.spfc.org/tours/date.html?tour_id=673

I enjoyed the Adore tour a lot. Went two days in a row at Radio City although I don't know why since it was the exact same show.

http://www.spfc.org/tours/date.html?tour_id=634

Tramps. Camped out overnight to get tickets. One of the best concert experiences I've ever had. Maybe the best.

http://www.spfc.org/tours/date.html?tour_id=763

I have no specific memory of this show other than being underwhelmed.

http://www.spfc.org/tours/date.html?tour_id=848

United Center last show. Amazing night. Wish I had been richer at the time, would have gone to Metro as well.

I saw Zwan a few times (including two of the opening shows in California), went to Asheville for a couple shows (very good), saw the 20th Anniversary in KC twice (again, why), the Plainsong tour in DC (enjoyed this), and I'm probably forgetting one or two more.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:28 PM   #57
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by KManXC View Post
MCIS tour in Philadelphia. Must've been a week or so before the tragedy with Dennis.
I think you mean Jonathan. Dennis was his replacement.

It sounds so offhand putting it like that, his "replacement"

Old 07-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #58
KManXC
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
I think you mean Jonathan. Dennis was his replacement.

It sounds so offhand putting it like that, his "replacement"
Yes, a mistake, and definitely offhand. I apologize to all offended - notably, Jonathan.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:10 PM   #59
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
so what happened at the end of the show, after the recording we have cut off? how did Silverfuck wrap up? how long did Billy stay on stage?
Still wondering myself...

For all the "James left the building as soon as the show ended" stories Billy has spun over the years, fans at the after party confirmed that was not true. On the 10th anniversary of the show, some fans posted about attending the after-party, and mentioned James stuck around for 30-45 minutes with his girlfriend and family. One of them posted a picture of his CR-05 CD with James' authograph that he got after the show. Apparently Billy just spent that whole time talking to press/journalists. I still understand why Billy was hurt Iha didn't stick around to say goodbye, but it wasn't like Iha walked off stage to a car and bolted.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:24 AM   #60
theslipstream
Pledge

The first time I saw them live was in '97 or '98 in OKC at an outdoor venue. I remember being fairly close and with my 100-lb girlfriend at the time. The music created a literal wall of sound that vibrated every bone in my body. It was the loudest concert I've heard, ever. The crowd was going nuts, pushing and crowd surfing, and my girlfriend made us retreat much further back. The sweeping Adore tracks such as "Tear" felt like it enveloped every inch of my body with sound and emotion. It was truly awesome and scary.

I saw them a few more times in St. Louis and again in Dallas around the Machina era. By this point Billy and the band went "weird" and aside from a few notable moments (like hearing Mayonaise the first time) I remember feeling very let down with what the band had come to.

Not that this counts on your timeline, but my favorite show was actually the Blue Room in Missouri where he toured for ZWAN. I got there hours early and stood in a line with other fans talking Pumpkins. One guy a few people in front of me played the SP songs he knew on his acoustic guitar to pass the time -- Porcelina being one of them. Billy wore one of his SD-era 70s shirts for the concert and I was just a few feet away. His guitar was doubly louder than any other instrument, and he must have gotten that feedback from the crowd because he said we were "just standing too close." Other than that it was a great show with lots of positive energy.

One of my biggest regrets is not going to their early MCIS tours with the half acoustic/clean-electric-in-PJs set, half rock-god-electric set. They truly peaked in their MCIS tour just before the overdose: Billy no longer screamed every line of every song, but they band still had a rebellious energy that doesn't begin register in their modern shows. The outros to Porcelina and TtEoR during that time were things of beauty.