Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2019, 10:36 PM   #361
Ram27
dumb

tinley park just smelled like weed

Old 08-20-2019, 11:16 PM   #362
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

so are there actually people at these shows or are the venues half empty?

Old 08-21-2019, 03:59 AM   #363
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
so are there actually people at these shows or are the venues half empty?
We know for definite Bill Corgland & Nelly Gallagher are attending each show.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:37 AM   #364
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Question for those who already went:
From what I gathered, Gallagher is worth attending, right? And AFI could be skipped? (I don't know AFI at all.)

Clearly the SP curse wants me to attend, missed the Chicago gig but now I'll be on a work meeting 5 miles from where they play the last gig of the tour. Clearly that's a sine.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:17 AM   #365
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Question for those who already went:
From what I gathered, Gallagher is worth attending, right? And AFI could be skipped? (I don't know AFI at all.)

Clearly the SP curse wants me to attend, missed the Chicago gig but now I'll be on a work meeting 5 miles from where they play the last gig of the tour. Clearly that's a sine.
Yeah, Noel is worth seeing. He sounds really great and even if you don't like his High Flying Birds stuff, he plays enough Oasis tracks that you'll probably enjoy it. If you're a fan of both like I am, you'll really like it.

AFI is boring. I don't know they're music at all either and after seeing them, I'm not motivated to listen to more of their shit.

SP is good overall, just be prepared to suffer through Superchrist.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:21 AM   #366
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by laradelocke View Post
Jack is the plain clothes guy right? I mean, they accidentally zoomed in on him for a billy solo wank for a second lol. He looks like he should be in Coldplay or Ben folds or something. Very odd. However James Iha is adorable as ever. Why do they love playing superchrist? Also pnc smells like actual sewage

Old 08-21-2019, 08:33 AM   #367
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Thumbs up

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?p=4456351

Old 08-21-2019, 10:51 AM   #368
laradelocke
Apocalyptic Poster

It was about half full in charlotte last night

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #369
laradelocke
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah he was introduced and seemed embarrassed re jack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #370
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

i like the optimism

Old 08-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #371
FoolofaTook

im being a dickhead (what a surprise) but tbh jack looks like a decent chap. i think we'd probably get along just fine, it not somewhat awkwardly (i'm even more dorky than he is).

Old 08-21-2019, 11:06 AM   #372
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

i'd be subconsciously wanting to meet his dad the entire time but hey, what else is new?

Old 08-21-2019, 11:08 AM   #373
FoolofaTook

Old 08-21-2019, 03:09 PM   #374
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 08-21-2019, 08:48 PM   #375
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
im being a dickhead (what a surprise) but tbh jack looks like a decent chap. i think we'd probably get along just fine, it not somewhat awkwardly (i'm even more dorky than he is).
He really does seem like the kinda guy you could have a beer with

Old 08-21-2019, 08:57 PM   #376
tweedyburd
Ownz

Charlotte was a lot of fun, I had low expectations with that setlist but the sound and production was quite impressive.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:27 PM   #377
fuzzyroes
Banned

That's the thing, looking at a track-listing full of hits seems kinda lame, but it comes across a lot better when you're actually there at the show and having fun.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:45 AM   #378
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 08-22-2019, 01:51 AM   #379
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 08-22-2019, 02:12 AM   #380
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

...listen to Jimmy...fuck yeah!

Notice the hi-hat accents at 0:23 .

>>>

Old 08-22-2019, 06:15 AM   #381
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
Yeah, Noel is worth seeing. He sounds really great and even if you don't like his High Flying Birds stuff, he plays enough Oasis tracks that you'll probably enjoy it. If you're a fan of both like I am, you'll really like it.

AFI is boring. I don't know they're music at all either and after seeing them, I'm not motivated to listen to more of their shit.

SP is good overall, just be prepared to suffer through Superchrist.
Nice, I was into Oasis, never heard a single HFB song, guess that's about to change!
I just saw SP in Europe, almost the same set, including Superchrist, a track I don't voluntarily listen to. But this live version is fantastic to my ears, JC absolutely kills it.

Old 08-22-2019, 04:06 PM   #382
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Saw them in Atlanta last night, and have to say I was thoroughly impressed. A while back, a poster here mentioned that this seemed like the first lineup of the band in a long time that felt like it was actually growing and evolving as a musical unit, and didn't just feel like the newest group of flunkies Billy would throw out at the end of the tour. I have to say that's an accurate description. Band is tight, and even Jeff seems to be utilized more sparingly/tastefully than he has in the past. Just a few random observations:

-I definitely saw what people meant by the sound being kind of "flat." I did not notice it on the tour last year, but the overall sound last night seemed too tame for a SP show. That could just be the result of playing indoors vs. outdoors, as opposed to all the other reasons people have suggested, but although I could tell the band was tearing it up, there were times were it lacked that classic SP chaos.

-I had my doubts about how the audience would handle the stretch of "Tiberius," "G.L.O.W." and "Superchrist" (although I do think Disarm was sandwiched somewhere in there), but it got a huge response. "Tiberius" sounds fucking massive with three guitars and Jimmy. I've always enjoyed "Superchrist" live (do not like the studio version), but even adding James' little guitar solo added a nice touch. And, credit to Billy, he got a song as bad as "G.L.O.W." to get a full on clap along. So good on him... I guess.

-Other than her backing vocals, I did not notice Katie Cole's keyboards at all on the Shiny tour, but heard them last night, and they actually added a really nice touch to "1979" and "Tonight, Tonight."

-The "Fire and Rain" cover won me over. I was really thinking it would be the pits, but the opening with the keyboards and ebow sounded like it could have come straight off Mellon Collie.

-The band fucking crushed "The Aeroplane Flies High." Although I know its an "A" level SP song, I've heard it so many times that it has sort of lost its impact on me, but it was unbelievably heavy, and the backing vocals gave it a really eerie sound.

Overall, probably the best SP show I've seen since 2007.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:31 PM   #383
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
This is probably why they don't play Oceania songs. Can you imagine what Tiberius would sound like if Jimmy weren't copying Tommy's parts? His playing would make the other drummer look bad in comparison.

Jimmy could make these songs take off if he was let off the chain.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:22 PM   #384
Ram27
dumb

JC makes every other drummer look bad in comparison. I guess it's from geeking out to SP so much when I first started playing, but his approach is just....right. Following the vocal, being warm when the guitars are, dirty when they're not....he's a genius. He writes drum parts so that, if you just heard the isolated drum part, you'd know the song instantly.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:45 PM   #385
bright_doom
Ownz

How are my AFI boys going on this tour? As the official AFI spokesperson on this site it kind of breaks my heart to see youtube vids of them playing their big hit to a spattering of 30-50 disinterested people, sitting down, on their phones. :-(

Old 08-23-2019, 11:49 PM   #386
FoolofaTook

Damn I hope their phones are OK. I don't think phones are supposed to be sat on!

Old 08-24-2019, 12:34 AM   #387
bright_doom
Ownz

Old 08-24-2019, 01:53 AM   #388
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
JC makes every other drummer look bad in comparison. I guess it's from geeking out to SP so much when I first started playing, but his approach is just....right. Following the vocal, being warm when the guitars are, dirty when they're not....he's a genius. He writes drum parts so that, if you just heard the isolated drum part, you'd know the song instantly.
It's so obvious Tiberius is not Jimmy's drum part huh lol. He adds some extra embellishments during the "one clapping hand" section, but the fill going into the chorus at 1:19 is totally Tommy Lee.

SNARE KICK KICK

Old 08-24-2019, 08:08 AM   #389
slayed23
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright_doom View Post
How are my AFI boys going on this tour? As the official AFI spokesperson on this site it kind of breaks my heart to see youtube vids of them playing their big hit to a spattering of 30-50 disinterested people, sitting down, on their phones. :-(
I was pissed that I wasn't able to get to my seat in time to see them in Chicago. Traffic from the north was so brutally bad that even leaving at work at 4:30 and dropping my daughter at my parents at 5 was not enough time to go 50 miles in 2 hours. Got there at 7:15 and could hear part of their set but was not to my seat yet. Miss Murder is such a badass song.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:40 PM   #390
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

...so awesome!