Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2007, 01:56 PM   #121
GlasgowKiss
Quaid Hates You

Yeah untitled and seraphin were recorded before he got into hard drugs.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:27 PM   #122
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Thumbs up

thank you for the input guys. I/we changed the songs according to your suggestions - I think you're correct, no matter how much I'd like to be sound earbagger.
I covered everyone except aurel -please see the posts above.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:02 PM   #123
spguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm working on listening to everyone's songs here. So far i'm liking everything i've heard.
I'm loving the moodiness of Luke De Spa's stuff. Gonna get a few more of those songs. The recording quality is very nice.

Here are my new instrumental demos for my new project.
http://www.myspace.com/burntheliesband
There are a couple more basic ones here:
http://www.myspace.com/bjrussellmusic (deleting this account tonight.)

Old 05-23-2007, 07:44 PM   #124
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Dammit, it takes me a lot of time to listen to all this and then also to try and write down what i think of it.

Aurel, I listened to your album twice and I liked it mainly. There's a lot of potential here. Somewhat along the lines of what Izzle said I believe, the problem is the execution. These songs could use some extra instrumentation here and there and though your singing isn't bad technically, I don't think you have a really pretty voice, or one fit to sing those songs. I was going to say, get a band, but from your post above it seems you have a band. Main thing is that you do write good songs and that's more than a lot of other people can say.

I have a band too, assholes. It's called Boutros Bubba and I wonder why everyone's ignoring that download link I posted on the first page. It's easily the best thing you've ever heard. Go download already!

Last edited by smashingjj : 05-23-2007 at 08:10 PM.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:52 PM   #125
spguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj
I have a band too, assholes. It's called Boutros Bubba and I wonder why everyone's ignoring that download link I posted on the first page. It's easily the best thing you've ever heard. Go download already!
I'm getting it but it's taking a while to download.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #126
TheMilstead
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RopeyLopey
IDK - you sound like soft NIN, and the last song is a mix of NIN with Starla. Maybe you are too much sound engineer, the songs are too much polished for me. You seem to be quite skillful, but the music doesn't excite me. You know, let's take isle - recording is lo-fi, but I can feel human beings there; your stuff appears to me as well-sculpted statue without feelings. I would not say it sucks, I only find somewhat soulless.
I have to say...I think your opinion is pretty spot on. I've been recording everything by myself, so I think that in my striving to get every instrument as natural-sounding as possible, I'm getting good mixes with practice, but everything still sounds quite programmed (namely drums). If I could get my drummer to take time to record over some tracks, I think it'd sound a bit more "realistic".

Hmm...I hope I get the chance to listen to everyone else's tonight...I'm looking forward to hearing some diversity!

Old 05-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #127
Mayfuck
Banned

Quote:
Dammit, it takes me time to listen to all this and then also to try and write down what i think of it.

Aurel, I listened to your album twice and I liked it mainly. There's a lot of potential here. Somewhat along the lines of what Izzle said I believe, the problem is the execution. These songs could use some extra instrumentation here and there and though your singing isn't bad technically, I don't think you have a really pretty voice, or one fit to sing those songs. I was going to say, get a band, but from your post above it seems you have a band. Main thing is that you do write good songs and that's more than a lot of other people can say.

i didn't ignore it. i listened to most of your boutros bubba songs and it didn't stick out as much to me as your solo stuff. it reminded me of boris at some parts and like some other bands whose names id ont remember.

its kind of hard to appreciate the tracks being posted here becuase i know they come from netphorians so there's that novelty to it where i can't take it as serously as i would any artist that i download of soulseek or buy at a record store. but like i said, suprisingly, smashingjj, luke, milstead, and cork soaker provided some tracks that are going to have repeatability and will probably go on some mix CDs.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:16 PM   #128
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

thanks man

Old 05-23-2007, 11:32 PM   #129
SpecialDeath
Amish Rake Fighter

Default try this:

www.myspace.com/specialdeathmusic

See/Say what you think-

Seth

Old 05-23-2007, 11:43 PM   #130
TheMilstead
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialDeath
www.myspace.com/specialdeathmusic

See/Say what you think-

Seth
"Golden Something" is really great. The chord progressions were chosen perfectly, I think. If one little part would have been changed, it wouldn't have sounded as good...it just worked all to well for the song. Definitely my favorite. I could see myself listening to this over and over.

"Creaking Speaking" should be longer! I was really enjoying it until I brought the window back up again and saw that it was almost over! My second favorite.

"Prime Grade" is good. Not sure what else to say about it...I like it...The middle aleatoric-sounding section especially nice.

"Bear Trap" is my least favorite. Not that it's bad, but it just didn't seem as up to par with the others. I guess because everything else was so dreamy and this one is quite straightforward.

For your genre, everything seems engineered/mixed pretty nicely. Good stuff...I'd love to hear more!

Old 05-24-2007, 12:14 AM   #131
french_rap_sucks
Ownz

check out my page. got some new pics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:48 AM   #132
???
Minion of Satan

joeri i wanna hear your stuff but i don't know how to play .rar files, little help? (i mean, rar files? wtf)

also why are you skipping my band huh. not pitchfork enough?

Old 05-24-2007, 07:51 AM   #133
aurel
Apocalyptic Poster

How did you access my archive? Download something like winace to extract the files http://www.winace.com/

Old 05-24-2007, 07:53 AM   #134
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ???
joeri i wanna hear your stuff but i don't know how to play .rar files
you don't play rar files dude, you need to extract the honeylike goodness from the centre;

http://www.download.com/3000-2250-10007677.html

I've done aurel and lds but im waiting until i've finished everyone to post my longer reviews

who is special death? im not listening to someone's music if they're just signing up to promote their own stuff and not contributing. As soon as I saw the loggerhead track lengths I was put off, had a quick run through and it didn't really do anything for me.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:56 AM   #135
???
Minion of Satan

del

Old 05-24-2007, 08:03 AM   #136
???
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristHimself!
you don't play rar files dude, you need to extract the honeylike goodness from the centre;

http://www.download.com/3000-2250-10007677.html
thanks man, i've dl'd but i've now gotta dl jj's bloody file again

Old 05-24-2007, 08:10 AM   #137
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

Talking

I wouldn't bother if i was you - sounds to me like the random recordings of some bizarre eric stoltz lookalike with MPS

Old 05-24-2007, 08:16 AM   #138
brendo_91
Minion of Satan

i will get to this tomorrow, my ears have finally cleared up a touch and i have nothing incredibly urgent.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:18 AM   #139
???
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I wouldn't bother if i was you - sounds to me like the random recordings of some bizarre eric stoltz lookalike with MPS
in protest, i'll just sit here screaming for more mallow

MALLOOOOOW!!!!111

Old 05-24-2007, 08:37 AM   #140
C33
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ???
joeri i wanna hear your stuff but i don't know how to play .rar files, little help? (i mean, rar files? wtf)

also why are you skipping my band huh. not pitchfork enough?
i laugh at you

Old 05-24-2007, 08:38 AM   #141
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

RIP Mallow, 1996 - 2005

i put a biography and two songs online here:

www.last.fm/music/mallow

Old 05-24-2007, 08:39 AM   #142
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

Craig fuck you, post songs here. And I reserve the right to give any critiques on them cause you already know how I feel about them <3

Old 05-24-2007, 09:00 AM   #143
aurel
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Dammit, it takes me a lot of time to listen to all this and then also to try and write down what i think of it.

Thanks for giving this some time.

Fair criticism on the production, there definitely are a lot of things that could be added to bring the songs out more.

About my voice I do appreciate that my voice isn't the best and that some of the songs may require more than I have to offer in this department but I have really enjoyed pushing myself in this regard and trying to sing in something approaching a style of my own. My aim has always been to infuse my vocal with alot of vulnerability, passion and emotion while avoiding the most obvious tricks, it's great to hear objectively whether this comes across or not.

This has already been a really interesting experience. Objective criticism is scary but class.

Downloading the Boutros bubba now.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:15 AM   #144
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

Fuck it, I'm stuck editing football audio of all things (my nightmare) so I can't listen to any mp3s right now.

aurel

Intention - Nice kinda grainy, distant string sounds.. thought it could have done with a bit more of a build up.

Tom Waits for no man - I liked this. I kinda wanted a different singer adding the harmony when at the chorus, not because I don't like your voice, just thought that a switch up the textures a bit would suit this. It was weird (but very complimentary) that you mentioned Draper when referring to my stuff, no one's ever said that before, but even if you hadn't said that, i'd have noticed that there were a couple of bits in the vocal melody in this song that reminded me of him <3 I like your voice.

Meditation on departure - I didn't get the transition at 1.25 .. I thought the first part could have been a little melancholy instrumental on it's own. Or maybe it would have even functioned better as an outro. I felt that the song from then on was a bit reminiscent of a toned down middle of the road chris cornell song :/

Yaphet Kotto smile - I wish this had more lush production. And you know what else? A double bass. And maybe drums when the lead kicks in. Good though.

+ I - Nice piano sound, I liked when the staccato strings came in. Like the vocal layering around 3.30. What are you using for your piano? is it a real piano? the chords through the song sound really nice but when the second piano organy track gets a bit twiddly around 4.25 that one doesn't sound so great. Liked the idea of the outro but it was a bit sloppy. Liked the first half of this a lot more than the second half.

Sigil - I don't know what to say about this one :/ It's quite a nice wee song but the singing style especially reminded me of craig's music, so I kept wanting to be more craigy, his songs are more kinda straight forwardly honest and with some tongue in cheek lyrics, and tend to have a more obvious evolution towards the end, so I couldn't help myself from wanting that. Maybe I'd like it more if it was full band and more layered.

Bakers Dozen - After the awesome clarinet I felt it got a bit droney and began to feel samey in comparison to other tracks.. liked the change around 1.45. Clarinet came back in and I liked it again.. Wasn't sure about the solo bit afterwards, and then it got a bit samey again. Liked from 4.25 out though. Very classic feel to the ending.

Django goes to college - Felt a bit like background music to me, nothing really stood out :/ when it got more intense and kinda freeform the high hat work made me want it to become a jcc song, but the drumming was too simple and the lead guitar was too basic sounding :/ it started sounding like it was getting more interesting about 5.18 and the drumming got well better for a bit, but then it just went back to how it was before.. don't think this was fluid or elegant enough to be as jazzy as it wanted to be.

Undone - I liked the chorus, the feel of the rest was a bit too similar to other songs on the album.

The language of whores and threes - I liked this one, felt that it could be quite powerful if I saw it performed live, although I don't like the title lyric. I wanted strings to come in from 3.50 to the end.

Evolution is evolving - hahaha, were you ripped out your tits when you did the randomly wailing track? Like your accent. I had to stop this half way through though.

Overall, I'd say i really like about half of it, and even the tracks I felt were very similar would grow on me, but I couldn't see me listening to the album as a whole again..I get what you mean about alone drunk and maudling, but I felt as though some of the acoustic tracks ended up feeling a bit overly samey, and i get put off from listening to albums in one sitting if there is a running similar feel.

lds

I hate how nicely polished your music is, the clarity just shines in your recordings. Damn you to hell.

Inside Out - I'm not too keen on the verses but I really like the chorus, especially with the faint backing vocals. I wished the outro was maybe a wee bit longer and your faint humming was multi layered and had harmonies.

Myth physics - The guitar in the right channel seemed to be struggling to keep up the pace at first and and i thought the high hat hits were a bit too high end, or maybe just too high in the mix. I like it as a song though. I remembered it immediately when the chorus kicked in, really like that, especially like the descending lead part. I loved from 2.55 out, when the guitars got heavier it was kinda reminiscent of early radiohead.

Peregrine - oh i've heard this one before as well, I'm just crap with track names. Like the verses, love when those awesome backing vocals come in. I was glad when the drums kicked in, and what is that? A mellotron? Strings? Organ? It's faint but present. I like subtle touches like that. I'm not very good with subtle. Outro is super pretty, wish it had been slightly longer with a slower fade out.

Where the gods sleep - Shit dawg I think I've heard all this before and I'd just forgotten. I really like your choruses, you really know how to handle them. This one reminds me of a band as well but I can't put my finger on who.. Like the bridge after the drums drop out. Again, very nicely produced. Like the way the bass climbs before the end.

Building boats in the basement - Had a sorta dreary feel to it, but I liked it when the drums dropped out and the strings came in. When the drums came back I wanted it to REALLY build before cutting out, felt like it kinda fizzled out.

Dog Days - Pretty solo with a really nice guitar sound. Not sure about the song as a whole though.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:16 AM   #145
SpecialDeath
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMilstead
"
For your genre, everything seems engineered/mixed pretty nicely. Good stuff...I'd love to hear more!
Thanks for the encouragement. We have 2 whole albums worth of this stuff at this point... It's just a question of figuring out what to do with it...

In a way, making the music is the easy part. Getting it out there is what's really tough. I'd love to hear some advice from people who are knowledgeable about that sort of thing as well....

Old 05-24-2007, 09:24 AM   #146
SpecialDeath
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
who is special death? im not listening to someone's music if they're just signing up to promote their own stuff and not contributing. As soon as I saw the loggerhead track lengths I was put off, had a quick run through and it didn't really do anything for me.
Actually, i've been reading/posting at this board on and off under a couple different names for years, since after Adore i think.. I used other names whose passwords have long been forgotten.

-S.O

Old 05-24-2007, 09:29 AM   #147
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

It wasn't so much the number of posts so much as the dropping in, listing your music, saying thanks and not commenting on other people's shit, kinda defeats the purpose of the thread, like when people sign up and drop in to request invites to torrent sites.

edit: i didn't mean to come off snidey like this, i just hate it when people register on boards to whore their music and then disappear

Last edited by ChristHimself! : 05-24-2007 at 01:39 PM.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:48 PM   #148
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

As if you're ever going to come back if you stop posting and don't come back! except you have 17 thousand posts!

I like discussions with you as the subject, Paul. Let's continue doing that. Nice discussion, btw, smashingjj. Yeah thanks smashingjj. Back on topic then. I hope you don't mind me being very honest (blunt?) about this.

I listened to the jeemer stuff now also for a second time. Do you like Jeff Buckley? That was kind of the first thing I thought when listening to about half of your songs. Not that it's a bad thing at all. I really like your singing and would have never thought it sounded like this after hearing you talk, which sounds really different. Also you play the guitar really well, about 100 times better than I do. Those are two things that caught my attention most of the time. Songwise I liked most of it too, except some of the more electronic things (when it gets too NIN). The boy with the cobwebs is my favourite.

Nice to hear all your songs, I heard some in the past but I don't recall it being so varied as the songs in the rar file that i downloaded. I guess you could make a good album if you really took your time for it. If you would seriously consider this, which would be awesome by the way, I'd be your biggest fan and I'd move to the UK to visit all your shows, don't even think about planning gigs in the netherlands when i do that, that would suck, I'd say that you should take care about your own style for some songs, (aka that it won't become too much of a jeff buckley thing). Some songs could obviously use some production / better recording. What are your plans with this? ps are you gay? if so i hate all your music.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:15 PM   #149
MrPantyFAce
Apocalyptic Poster

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dd6fa2

i need to get a chord to hook my 8 track to my computer so i can put some new stuff up.... this is old, the drum machine on it is retched.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:21 PM   #150
RopeyLopey
Braindead

maybe people could comment on already posted stuff before expecting to hear an opinion on theirs.