Old 08-07-2017, 10:46 PM   #1171
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

?

Confrats on the bb

Old 08-08-2017, 01:59 AM   #1172
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Yoyo Soy, I've noticed that your photos have a nice grain to them. Can I have ur (ISO) numba, pls?

A lot of people try to avoid noise, but I think it adds a "comfy" feel to the photo.

I just shoot on film speed 400, but I've been thinking of getting some higher film speeds, because I've experimented taking shots in low lighting without flash (I haven't one on my A1, nor even a light meter), but they've all got a lot of shake to them (which is regrettable, because at this one metal show I went to, this lady I always see at metal shows with half her face tattooed like a corpse let me shoot her, and I was excited about that, but the photos all came back extremely shitty).

Old 08-08-2017, 03:11 AM   #1173
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Some of these photos came out underexposed, but I actually think it looks better that way than with the correct exposure. Gives it this dreary, moody look.

Compared to the one set with more correct exposure, which, while truer to the colours being represented, isn't as interesting, IMO.

Sorry for a couple of the photos being oversized; Imgur's editing tools don't always seem to actually update the image linked by the URL when you click "Save." Maybe they'll have updated by the time this is read.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:47 AM   #1174
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Yoyo Soy, I've noticed that your photos have a nice grain to them. Can I have ur (ISO) numba, pls?

A lot of people try to avoid noise, but I think it adds a "comfy" feel to the photo.

I just shoot on film speed 400, but I've been thinking of getting some higher film speeds, because I've experimented taking shots in low lighting without flash (I haven't one on my A1, nor even a light meter), but they've all got a lot of shake to them (which is regrettable, because at this one metal show I went to, this lady I always see at metal shows with half her face tattooed like a corpse let me shoot her, and I was excited about that, but the photos all came back extremely shitty).
those were all taken with a 35mm camera and the iso of 100 or 400 depending on the type of film. the second to last one of yours looks real nice. i like the greenish quality. i know what you mean about the comfiness. i like that, too, in a picture.

i really wish i could upload more photos to my flickr account but this laptop always spits out discs and i never think to do it at school or whatnot.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:10 AM   #1175
yo soy el mejor

little dude was counting playing hide and seek

a roll got doubly exposed and came out pretty cool

this is a picture i took of tim looking at an exhibit and a picture he took of me at the park

you might be able to tell that people are my favorite subjects. i never even think about it until i see the photos.
like, it's not purposeful or anything, just how it turns out.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:57 PM   #1176
yo soy el mejor

thank you for the encouraging words, bolleh.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:14 PM   #1177
Ram27
dumb

it's weird how film makes something from today look all trippy and old

Old 08-08-2017, 01:51 PM   #1178
Bread Regal
Banned

what kinda lens/body do you have ****

Old 08-08-2017, 10:42 PM   #1179
mxzombie
Braindead

Location: i like traffic lights, but only when they're green.

it's a minolta srt-101 that we got secondhand. the lens is standard (mc rokkor 58mm).

it was only $10!

Old 08-08-2017, 10:53 PM   #1180
slunken
Virgo

@ r/thriftstorehauls

stop screaming

Old 08-08-2017, 11:37 PM   #1181
mxzombie
Braindead

Location: i like traffic lights, but only when they're green.

it was a garage sale

Old 08-08-2017, 11:43 PM   #1182
redbreegull

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
what kinda lens/body do you have ****
what kind of way is that to speak to a lovely young lady

Old 08-08-2017, 11:47 PM   #1183
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

did you know that "little dude" or ask for his parents' permission to take his picture?

Old 08-08-2017, 11:51 PM   #1184
Bread Regal
Banned

my grandad's old minolta is in storage somewhere. can't remember the model number but it definitely predates the srt-101 cause doesn't have a built in light meter. and after a bit of research it sounds like all his lenses will work on my sony dslr.

which is only kinda cool because the sensor on my sony is smaller with a crop factor of 1.4. so my 18-55mm zoom lens behaves more like a 25-77mm. i really want something shorter, but shorter lenses get fucking expensive.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:24 AM   #1185
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Old 08-09-2017, 12:27 AM   #1186
Bread Regal
Banned

put that back in there young lady!

Old 08-09-2017, 01:38 AM   #1187
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonoo View Post
i hope you all look back on this thread one day and cringe

Old 08-09-2017, 02:28 AM   #1188
redbreegull

lol

Old 08-09-2017, 02:42 AM   #1189
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I know I could just load the film flipped, but I don't trust myself to spool my own cartridges. They probably sell redscale film, though.

I need to become more judicious in the shots I take, anyway. With all the money I've been spending on film and development, I've been wasting too many exposures on kinda pointless shots that don't really seem to have a subject, don't really draw the eye anywhere in particular, have no hierarchy of attention, etc.
It's just a small adventure in the dark with some scissors and a bit of tape, providing you with the better alternative to giving those fucks at Lomography anything that can be reinvested into putting out a glow-in-the-dark La Sardina with the Latvian national flag on it. Another thing to remember about them is that they don't manufacture film stock and simply re-badge whatever it is they've gotten their hands on with no guarantee of a consistent source. I particularly liked their CN 100 at a certain point, but wasn't at all satisfied with a significantly more recent run of the stuff.

Not to challenge for the unsolicited advice awards, but another thing worth considering is getting yourself a development tank and processing a bit of black and white at home. It's as cost effective as it gets and having that greater role in the process is additionally satisfying.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:36 AM   #1190
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
Think I might have commented on it once before, but this one's great.

I don't suppose you have any recollection of what film was used?

Old 08-09-2017, 04:20 AM   #1191
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
did you know that "little dude" or ask for his parents' permission to take his picture?
If you're at the park taking photos of kids you don't know, and you don't even have kids of your own, please stop.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:36 AM   #1192
Bread Regal
Banned

i'm not sure if the laws are the same in your neck of the woods, but it's completely legal in the US to take pictures of people on public property, and nobody really cares.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #1193
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:

That cat one is amazing. The shallow depth of field, and catching zem right in the middle of that yawn.

I also like that trippy one. Looks like a shelf or something was blurred enough to become an abstract design.

Quote:
you might be able to tell that people are my favorite subjects. i never even think about it until i see the photos.
like, it's not purposeful or anything, just how it turns out.
I've been thinking about how I need more people to photograph. Oft times, I see a scene that seems like it would make an interesting photograph because of the repetition of forms. For example, when I was at the cemetery, and there were rows of gravestones that seemed like they would look cool receding into the distance at an angle. But then when I got back the photos, I realized they were quite boring, and I figured the reason was that I needed something to break up the repetition to add interest. Like, say, a person standing in between a pair on the gravestones. So it might go stone, stone, person, stone, or something.

Sometimes when I come across people who look interesting, I ask them if they would mind if I take a photo. I like a lot of these, but the thing is that you can't do this without the subject instinctively posing. So, they rarely have that natural, candid look I like.

Last edited by Disco King : 08-09-2017 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Shrunk photo for ease of thread navigation

Old 08-09-2017, 12:21 PM   #1194
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Insert Kahlo pics of a man in a suit standing in a natural setting

Old 08-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #1195
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxzombie View Post
it's a minolta srt-101 that we got secondhand. the lens is standard (mc rokkor 58mm).

it was only $10!
I have a Minolta (can't remember which model), but I haven't used it yet, because I haven't yet read the manual and don't really know my way around it.

I probably should, because this one's already got a flash on it. I would guess that it also has a light meter. And it comes with a zooming lens, so I wouldn't have to switch lenses as often.

I dunno. I have a sentimental attachment to my A1, though. Something about it... maybe because it's my first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
It's just a small adventure in the dark with some scissors and a bit of tape, providing you with the better alternative to giving those fucks at Lomography anything that can be reinvested into putting out a glow-in-the-dark La Sardina with the Latvian national flag on it. Another thing to remember about them is that they don't manufacture film stock and simply re-badge whatever it is they've gotten their hands on with no guarantee of a consistent source. I particularly liked their CN 100 at a certain point, but wasn't at all satisfied with a significantly more recent run of the stuff.

Not to challenge for the unsolicited advice awards, but another thing worth considering is getting yourself a development tank and processing a bit of black and white at home. It's as cost effective as it gets and having that greater role in the process is additionally satisfying.
I'll probably want to try my hand at developing my own film eventually, so I'll read up on it. I'll also give making my own red-scale film a shot.

I know what you mean about some of Lomography's products. I purchased a few rolls that actually seem cool, but I had to scroll through crap in their catalogue like rolls of film where each frame is pre-exposed to glowing hearts, providing you with all the charm of an Instagram filter in a canister. Another is littered with glowing green splotches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
i'm not sure if the laws are the same in your neck of the woods, but it's completely legal in the US to take pictures of people on public property, and nobody really cares.
Change the channel, it's another "Emma tries in vain to construe innocuous actions as threatening and sinister" episode.

I'm sure that something more interesting, such as Guiding Light or televised poker is on right now.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:45 PM   #1196
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonoo View Post
i hope you all look back on this thread one day and cringe
This happens to me at every thread with my every post.

Including this one for sure.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:51 PM   #1197
myosis
Minion of Satan

post/av

Old 08-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #1198
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
That cat one is amazing. The shallow depth of field, and catching zem right in the middle of that yawn.

I also like that trippy one. Looks like a shelf or something was blurred enough to become an abstract design.
zanks! For the trippy picture I was at an art museum gift shop and put a kaleidoscope up to the lens when photographing a wall of books. Bing bang boom.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:56 PM   #1199
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Sometimes I cringe at the posts of others too.

Empathy is a bitch.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #1200
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster