Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #211
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

and as far as i'm concerned mass effect faltered plenty before the end (like i said, i treated it as a sci-fi soap, kind of like Firefly. Yeah it's entertaining and has really great moments but it's still pretty trashy and often plain stupid) and lost was absolute garbage

Old 05-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #212
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
bullshit the geth are far more sympathetic and therefore interesting than the borg could ever be.

the most fiercely independent and isolationist race in the galaxy are the formerly enslaved synthetics? one of those genius moments that lifts the series out of its trashy, soapy baseness.
Agreed. The geth started off as a poor man's Borg but the writers wisely evolved them into something more than a faceless race of machines. It was unfair of me to lump them in with the Reapers, who fit the "poor man's Borg" bill much better.

Quote:
i don't recall any lore about where the borg came from or why they do what they do.
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Borg_history

Not a whole lot of info on that subject. The creators of Star Trek (wisely) kept their origins, history, and raison d'être vague.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #213
Trotskilicious
Banned

reapers were really just a total crib from the matrix, i thought

Old 05-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #214
Trotskilicious
Banned

honestly i don't think i would have ever finished mass effect to begin with if i played as a male paragon shepard i would have gone "this sucks and is boring" and would have quit

because i actually did do that on my 2nd playthru and it did suck and it was boring

so then i just re-ran it as Vanguard Renegade Femmeshep and many asses were handed back to their owners

Old 05-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #215
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post

You know what would have made a better ending? The reapers win.
This is possible. The "Refuse" ending in the Extended Cut allows the Reapers to win. Granted, there is an asterisk to this ending: The next cycle finds one of Liara's time capsules, which she planted on planets throughout the galaxy, and future galactic civilizations use the information she provided to defeat the Reapers in the next cycle.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #216
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
reapers were really just a total crib from the matrix, i thought
That stupid Deus Ex Machina "Catalyst" certainly brought to mind the Architect from The Matrix Reloaded.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #217
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchocky View Post
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4L09sU9jE0...n-murray-4.jpg

This is Jillian Murray, the face/body model for Liara.

Oh god, she's lovely <3

how about some Miranda

http://www.yvonne-strahovski.eu/gall...eWater-033.jpg

Old 05-15-2013, 11:19 PM   #218
Order 66
Socialphobic

i got portal 2 on steam for $8.. somehow never got around to playing the portals before. i knew it wouldn't suck but i spent alot more time with it than i expected. when i closed my eyes to sleep i could see little orange and blue circles floating around.

i wonder how the multiplayer works... doesn't seem liek something you'd need another player for

Old 05-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #219
Dead Frequency
Minion of Satan

Location: They don't know who did it, but they're looking for hardened criminals

I've only played portal two coop and it is difficult because you have to work together to accomplish anything. At some point it'll break down into a "WTF R U DOING OMG SHOOT THE FUCKING PORTAL THERE R U DENSE YOU ASSHOLE" And then it becomes a game of how to kill the other player over and over

Old 05-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #220
Dead Frequency
Minion of Satan

Location: They don't know who did it, but they're looking for hardened criminals

And then hot pockets

Old 05-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #221
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
i got portal 2 on steam for $8.. somehow never got around to playing the portals before. i knew it wouldn't suck but i spent alot more time with it than i expected. when i closed my eyes to sleep i could see little orange and blue circles floating around.

i wonder how the multiplayer works... doesn't seem liek something you'd need another player for
Love Portal. The devs said they were hesitant about including a multi-player mode in Portal 2, claiming that it was in fact less fun that you'd think, but I for one loved it. It's a good exercise in how well you can communicate and execute strategy on the fly with your partner. Of course, Glados and Wheatley are both awesome. JK Simmons as Cave Johnson was a nice touch, as well. I love how he progressively goes more insane.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #222
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post

how about some Miranda
Hated Miranda, but let's face it, Yvonne Strahovski...

http://einsteinsdesk.files.wordpress...er-simpson.jpg

Old 05-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #223
Trotskilicious
Banned

see this is one of the reasons i don't like mass effect, the fan service stuff

Old 05-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #224
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
see this is one of the reasons i don't like mass effect, the fan service stuff
Miranda was a bit too ridiculous in that regard for me. I think I rolled my eyes the first time the camera blatantly parked itself behind her butt. That and her personality, especially if she's your love interest. I get it; she's hot.

If you want people to take games like this seriously...I'm not even saying the women can't be attractive or whatever. But the people who play these kind of games are not all a bunch of 15-year-old boys.

Besides, Liara could kick Miranda's ass.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #225
Trotskilicious
Banned

I dunno, I think the leching on female characters is a rather significant portion of Mass Effect's appeal, and they do some things right (Femme Shep blah blah blah) it's kind of frustrating when they start doing that LCD fan service stuff. The blue lesbian space girls are enough already. I think that sex and romance has a place in games but I kind of feel like on this game it's still immature nerd fapping.

ME has a significant female fanbase but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're doing everything right. moar liek battlestar, less liek firefly

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 05-16-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #226
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I dunno, I think the leching on female characters is a rather significant portion of Mass Effect's appeal, and they do some things right (Femme Shep blah blah blah) it's kind of frustrating when they start doing that LCD fan service stuff. The blue lesbian space girls are enough already. I think that sex and romance has a place in games but I kind of feel like on this game it's still immature nerd fapping.

ME has a significant female fanbase but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're doing everything right.
I like the asari (at least the concept of them being a wise and powerful race that are both beautiful and badass), but you're definitely not wrong.

Quote:
BioWare went out of its way to portray the Asari as capable warriors and diplomats and to show a great diversity within the race in both personality and experience. Yet all that effort seems wasted amongst the designers' numerous missteps. A truly asexual race that grows its culture through imprinting on other species sounds like a cool sci-fi idea with tons of possibilities, but that's not how the Asari are portrayed; they're a race of women -- the attractive and feminine figures of every Asari shown on screen make their "asexual" description in the Codex little more than a fig leaf to place over any possible same-sex relationship controversy -- with ideal bodies. They serve as eye candy for players even when they aren't sleeping with the protagonist. How can Shepard take someone who dresses like the woman below while stationed on an ice planet seriously as a villain?

http://www.1up.com/media?id=3937042&type=lg

Old 05-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #227
Trotskilicious
Banned

yeah what if the asari were exactly the same in every regard but looked like krogan? why can't we do something like that? I dunno they have one foot forward and two steps back, it's really frustrating considering how great female shepard is. Battlestar is great with women, I mean the new Starbuck is pretty cool, but she's basically a male trope played by a woman. However, Shepard is deliberately written to be heroic and gender neutral and it works beautifully. But then you have space lesbian eye-candy and Whedonesque "sexual" banter. So near/So far.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #228
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

update: my new boarding style is "during replays and halftimes in NBA2K13"

Old 05-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #229
Trotskilicious
Banned

you're a man after my own heart

are you doing franchise mode?

have you made your own highlight reel playlists?

Old 05-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #230
Order 66
Socialphobic

okay nerds i finally found a way to run mass effect on windows 8. steam says i'm about 4 hours in... i'm at the point where shepherd becomes a spectre or whatever.

i expected the game to look pretty rough since its an old-ish game but it looks pretty good aside from facial animations. really like the environments... even coming off bioshock infinite they can be pretty impressive. the inventory system is kind of a wreck so glad to hear it gets better in the sequels

i like how it balances out sci fi schlok with decent writing. i;m pretty interested to see where it goes.. and its pretty rare that i care for games' writing these days. i wish i had more time to sit on my ass and play it

oh and fuck you, steam. you should have told me the "mass effect collection" was only the first two games before i got it. and fuck you EA for not making ME3 available on anything but that Origin shit.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #231
Trotskilicious
Banned

yeah ea is jerks

and it totally does look p. good for old as it is but it looks better later on. i still think some of the citadel environments are kind of sterile but noveria, feros, virmire and especially ilos are p. coll

the inventory system is fuckin horrible on 1. basically it gets progressively better from one game to the other. lot of people complain about the system in 2 since it's not a system it's mostly just a choice of 2 or 3 but i prefer that than getting buttons of marginally different weapons

also ammo type is made to be a "power" on ME2, which is great because you can switch it as you please without going to submenu hell

femme shep is the best shep

Old 05-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #232
Dead Frequency
Minion of Satan

I'm playing through deus ex. Kinda fucking boring, but kinda fun once momentum goes for it. But there are basically a million things can be done in every area and none of them amount to much. Story is pretty uninteresting, kinda bland corporate mystery nonsense. "I'm screwing your company over!" "Nuh uh *guns and explosion*"

Old 05-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #233
Order 66
Socialphobic

the first deus ex? i haven't played any of those games but supposedly they're really good. i don't care enough to play the older ones but i'll get the newest one when its dirt cheap on steam

Old 05-25-2013, 02:00 AM   #234
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
you're a man after my own heart

are you doing franchise mode?

have you made your own highlight reel playlists?
Just started franchise mode. Played really poorly in the showcase but somehow got drafted to Miami. Only played one game so far though.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:19 AM   #235
Trotskilicious
Banned

that's not franchise mode, that would be myplayer

you get drafted to miami because they have a low draft pick (pretty sure they pick last), so if you play badly at the showcase in MyPlayer mode then you get picked up by good teams.

I was scoring 70+ on MyPlayer before I got bored. I made a point guard and just maxed out his speed, handling, layups and shooting. NO DUNKING. like Superparker. i had a lot of points saved up from playing franchise for a month straight

you should check out the playlist thing

Old 05-25-2013, 04:36 AM   #236
Dead Frequency
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
the first deus ex? i haven't played any of those games but supposedly they're really good. i don't care enough to play the older ones but i'll get the newest one when its dirt cheap on steam
To be entirely honest I didn't kniw it was a franchise, presumably its origins are on the pc? I picked up the 360 installment, though I'll also admit I've kinda strayed away from news of new releases. Just picking up this game after a while, so I'm not sure if there's been another 360 release

Old 05-25-2013, 04:59 AM   #237
Dead Frequency
Minion of Satan

And I refuse to look it up for some reason

Old 05-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #238
Toby
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Thumbs up

Playing darksider 2 on wiiU and then I have DmC and Ripide on deck for 360.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #239
Toby
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Darksiders 2 is p freakin awesome. I hope whomever bought that ip brings it back for a sequel.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #240
Order 66
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Frequency View Post
To be entirely honest I didn't kniw it was a franchise, presumably its origins are on the pc? I picked up the 360 installment, though I'll also admit I've kinda strayed away from news of new releases. Just picking up this game after a while, so I'm not sure if there's been another 360 release
its probably human revolution. i watched a trailer for it lastnight.. seems kind of abstruse gameplay wise. not really interested in it but i'll get it on sale anywy just because i can